Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

House of the Dragon

PleaseBlitz

Your TV is probably calibrated poorly like most people's TVs are.

What scenes were dark?  I haven't noticed any dark scenes and I'm on a 10 year old projector, which still looks great since it's calibrated properly.

The only dark scene I can recall being an annoyance was in GoT on the last season when they had that huge battle at night, like episode 4 or so.  You couldn't see **** and on top of that, the feed from HBO Max had a ****load of compression artifacting going on.

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

What scenes were dark?  I haven't noticed any dark scenes and I'm on a 10 year old projector, which still looks great since it's calibrated properly.

The only dark scene I can recall being an annoyance was in GoT on the last season when they had that huge battle at night, like episode 4 or so.  You couldn't see **** and on top of that, the feed from HBO Max had a ****load of compression artifacting going on.

It was like that for me.

I have different calibrations setup for different levels of light in my living room but it still didn't help. It was during the night at the end of the funeral or whatever, through the incest scene and then the Aegon with the dragon. 

11 minutes ago, purbeast said:

When it's beautiful, and visible, for every other tv show I've ever watched on it, I have to believe it's the show.  I'll look into it tho.

24 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

It was like that for me.

I have different calibrations setup for different levels of light in my living room but it still didn't help. It was during the night at the end of the funeral or whatever, through the incest scene and then the Aegon with the dragon. 

Yeah I didn't notice anything too dark other than when they first started showing Aegon moving towards "something" but you didn't know what it was, but I found that intentional, like when they showed the very pulled out far shot initially.

I actually specifically made a comment to my wife because she was like "i bet someone is watching them (banging)" and I was like "no it's too dark for anyone to see them from back at the castle, but it just looks lighter out because that's how they gotta film these night scenes in movies/shows."

Like in real life, it woulda been nearly pitch black where they were walking on the beach.  But obviously, that doesn't translate very well to the big screen.

33 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Yeah I didn't notice anything too dark other than when they first started showing Aegon moving towards "something" but you didn't know what it was, but I found that intentional, like when they showed the very pulled out far shot initially.

I actually specifically made a comment to my wife because she was like "i bet someone is watching them (banging)" and I was like "no it's too dark for anyone to see them from back at the castle, but it just looks lighter out because that's how they gotta film these night scenes in movies/shows."

Like in real life, it woulda been nearly pitch black where they were walking on the beach.  But obviously, that doesn't translate very well to the big screen.

I think that scene you were talking about from the original series triggered me. I know naturally it's gonna be dark but it's a show, as long as I'm still invested in the story and there isn't a starbucks cup on the table, I'll be alright with a some artificial "moonlight" to help me better see what's happening.

Make me feel like an old fart complaining about it. 

40 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I think that scene you were talking about from the original series triggered me. I know naturally it's gonna be dark but it's a show, as long as I'm still invested in the story and there isn't a starbucks cup on the table, I'll be alright with a some artificial "moonlight" to help me better see what's happening.

Make me feel like an old fart complaining about it. 

Yeah I remember that was episode was pretty much globally criticized for the terrible lighting in it.  You couldn't see WTF was happening at all in the actual battle.

• Haha 1

I hope so too BUT this whole episode showed her  showing good faith to R and D. Like at the end of the dinner, it seems like the adults truly put it behind them. 

if there was going to be continued conflict, I thought it was be instigated by the children. Not alicent being stupid. I’m thinking it’s bad writing. Same with Rhaeynera not killing her husband. Such stupid writing but I digress. 

I really don't know how close the show is to the source material, but because it's there, it's pretty easy to lookup and see where this is going.

So don't if you genuinely want to be suprised...of course it's not good, and really want to believe they won't go to Rouge because there are actually spoilers in original GOT about what happens to some of the main characters as well that would cause major continuity issues if they did go rouge...

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I really don't know how close the show is to the source material, but because it's there, it's pretty easy to lookup and see where this is going.

So don't if you genuinely want to be suprised...of course it's not good, and really want to believe they won't go to Rouge because there are actually spoilers in original GOT about what happens to some of the main characters as well that would cause major continuity issues if they did go rouge...

it’s funny people were rewatching GOT and were like hey wtf there are HotD spoilers all over this? 

It seems to stick really close to the source material however the source material is told by maesters and others so there isn’t always a concrete account of how certain things happened. There are often multiple takes and rumors about what happened. This gives the show the chance to expand on these, provide a definitive version, and add character depth which it has done really well. Again tho, all of this so far is essentially prologue setting up the powder keg that’s about to explode. Things have and will have a lot more meaning in the show since we’ve gotten to know the characters and their motivations far more than we do in the book

one of the biggest changes is adding the song of ice and fire prophecy which i actually like now and is an attempt to tie it more directly to GoT as well as five the Targaryens a bit of moral high ground for their conquest and rule. I can see that prophecy and the dagger that ultimately kills the NK being passed around thru the rest of this show and any other Targaryen spin-offs that might come up.  

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Viserys taking his throne one last time was epic. Viserys, much like Eddard Stark after him,  is a just, honorable, peace seeking man who virtues are at odds with just about every other faction out there. Paddy Considine finished strong in his peformance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

She’s not. But she is using it justify doing what she wants. 

because I really hope this whole thing isn’t based off a silly misunderstanding when it’s clear to all and the character that he wasn’t talking to her 

The throne room petition scene foreshadowed this.

Also, what in the Greg Oden happened to Aemond One Eye.

18 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Also, what in the Greg Oden happened to Aemond One Eye.

Will Smith in Bad Boys 2: “MFer you look 30” 

He looks older than every one of the other sons by like 10 years. 

also seem to be telling the story the last couple episodes that Aemond especially but Aegon too are a lot better trained fighters than Rhaenyra’s boys. Add them and Kole who bested Daemon in a trounry and they seem to have quite the upper hand in fighting prowess and with Aemond’s dragon they have an advantage there too  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

also seem to be telling the story the last couple episodes that Aemond especially but Aegon too are a lot better trained fighters than Rhaenyra’s boys. Add them and Kole who bested Daemon in a trounry and they seem to have quite the upper hand in fighting prowess and with Aemond’s dragon they have an advantage there too  

Aemond also looks a lot like Daemon...so now the Greens have their badass.

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

There are often multiple takes and rumors about what happened.  

I think we can all agree (those of us who have read the source material anyway) that we need the Testimony of Mushroom version.  Also, probably to make sure anyone's kids aren't around while it is on.

Edited by Forehead
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Can't believe Larys killed his dad and brother to get feet pics

He got quite a bit of power from it too. That’s what he’s after, but n a very littlefinger way. And there is a further power dynamic in getting the queen to pervert herself for you 

Thought this was a great episode. Only thing I didn’t like was Rhaenys not killing everyone at the end. They told the story of her disappointment in Alicent and seeing Alicent step in front of Aegon might have caused her to pause. They need to flesh this out next episode when she inevitably makes it to Dragonstone to warn Rhaenyra. Hopefully then she explains why she couldn’t. Maybe she will try to talk Rhaenrya into standing down like she did years ago when she was surpassed.