Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

House of the Dragon

PleaseBlitz

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

i was simply letting you know the source material reason for why it was time skipping. Thought it might be interesting but I forgot you’re a dick like 85% of the time 

Regardless what the reason is, it's still just odd to see in a TV show and I'm not sure if it'll bother me or not.  The preview for next week definitely felt a bit odd to see though.

U mad bro?

Just caught up. Man they set this up

perfectly. It’ll definitely be jarring to see the timeline jump, but as others have said they spent a lot of time developing characters in a way the source materials didn’t. This will be fun. But the time jump makes me think this is a 2 season series … unless they decide to keep going through the timeline up to the events of GOT. Just don’t think they can do that much time jumping and still develop characters. My guess is 2 seasons, hard to see how they stretch it beyond that. 

Kind of felt like a new show in a way.  It was just odd.  Even the director said on the "inside GOT" thing after the episode that it was basically like shooting a second pilot for the first season.  It kind of felt like that and was a bit slow like most pilots.

I liked it though.  Still much better than LOTR lol.

I'm enjoying the show, though I'm not really looking forward to a lot of what's coming.  I may just be squeamish about it, but I often though a lot of the GOT stuff could have been inferred rather than hitting you over the head with it.  Prime example, I thought the Ramsey Bolton - Theon Greyjoy stuff was very overdone.  Martin spent like one chapter, and parts of maybe a few others, touching on that.  They decided to spend 3/4 or a season making sure we knew Theon wasn't having a good time.

Anyway, having read the source material, I know there's a lot of that potentially on the way.  Hopefully they'll tone it down a bit, at least the visuals.

I'm with Purbeast on this vs. Rings of Power.  I'm watching that as well.  I love Tolkien's writings and world building, but that show has a lot of buildup for precious little to actually happen.  I shouldn't be shocked, Tolkien could spend a chapter describing pine needles in a forest.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I  don’t know what characters to root for. I kinda want them all to die. 

This is one thing I was thinking about last night. I feel like Alicent is bumbling her way into villain but she's clearly just looking out for her family. And she has at least tried to go about things in a logical way although it's having unintentional consequences. Even her father, the former hand, was being honesty with the King (and clearly struggled with that reveal before he was dismissed) ... and being realistic in understanding what issues would come about if the line of succession didn't change (not just within those at the top of the power chain, but with the people as a whole). Anyway, nobody seems truly nefarious at this point.

Rhaenyra seems like she doesn't even want to be queen and just wants to have her paramores and live happily ever after, although at this stage of the season she's probably way too invested in being Queen to just throw it all away. She's bought into the "it's mine" narrative. Even at the expense of placing very clear ****s in the line of succession, which she has to know is going to cause serious issues (she knows this, that's why they left, and she freaked out at the "rumors") ... 

I also find myself rooting for Prince Daemond. But he has many flaws. 

I think the clear villain right now is Larys, so I assume we'll get a lot more of him ala Ramsey Bolton

The current story lacks an Tyrion / Snow / Arya / Dany character to truly root for, although that's not to say it can't be developed. But with a clearly shorter series and a 10 year time-jump halfway through the opening season, it does make it tougher to really fall in love with a character.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

What this show sorely lacks is the clever and engaging dialogue of GoT.  There is no Tyrion for quips and quotes, no Varys versus Littlefinger, and none of the characters are as compelling realpolitik movers as Tywin, though Damon (sp?) has some moments. This feels more like watching a series on The Borgias than Game of Thrones.

• Thumb up 1

I'm going to save comments on the show for later. 

I have an 8.5 year old daughter.  She went to bed.  I thought she was asleep. I started to watch HOTD.   She appears behind me when Aegon was standing at the window.  And now she has all the questions.  

I'm putting a goddamn lock on her door from now on.  

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mufumonk said:

Larys is more Littlefinger than Ramsay Bolton. Also, whether or not Rhaenyra wants to be queen (she does), they're doing a great job of showing she has the acumen for it. 

What has she shown that proves she has any acumen at all? Christian was right she spoiled.

if she wanted a happy ever after she would of left with him in the beginning but she wanted the crown and side dick. She’s not innocent and now her roosters have come home to roost. 

At least danerys was performing miracles left and right before the bad writing ruined her characters. Rhanery ain’t no Danny. 

the only person who has showed any 

20 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Rhaenyra seems like she doesn't even want to be queen and just wants to have her paramores and live happily ever after, although at this stage of the season she's probably way too invested in being Queen to just throw it all away. She's bought into the "it's mine" narrative. Even at the expense of placing very clear ****s in the line of succession, which she has to know is going to cause serious issues (she knows this, that's why they left, and she freaked out at the "rumors") ... 

Her kids, even ****s, are half Targaryen just like alicent’s kids. 

i don’t get the “it’s mine” feeling from Rhaenrya too. She doesn’t seem like she enjoys a lot of the aspects of court and ruling but is doing it out of duty knowing the song of ice and fire Viserys told her about. I suppose she could walk away but if she believes she is the best one to handle that prophecy then she can’t really do that. “Either I can take so responsibility to save the world or I can give it to this kid that spends his time jacking off on kings landing. Hmm” 

20 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The current story lacks an Tyrion / Snow / Arya / Dany character to truly root for, although that's not to say it can't be developed. But with a clearly shorter series and a 10 year time-jump halfway through the opening season, it does make it tougher to really fall in love with a character.

those characters were all supposed to be morally grey but they become popular as the show went along so they just were written as solid good guys. HotD is writing its characters the way it was intended, at least for now. 

and I enjoy it. I don’t need captain Americas. I like not being sure who to root for or who is actually in the wrong. That’s life. Makes the show more compelling and unique to me by not having traditional good guy/bad guy roles. People just looking out for the themselves and their family are going to be the fall of the Targaryen dynasty. It’s fine to have something different like that.  it lends itself more to surprise and treachery as the plot unfolds and the political machinations really start to take off. We still have Larys /Littlefoot too who seems pretty rotten at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

and I enjoy it. I don’t need captain Americas.

What about a white knight what'll smash a dudes face in during a dance number because he knows a secret? 🤔

Ten year jump in time or not how ya not talking about that every time ya see dude walking around kings landing? 😆

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Like 1

Just now, Captain Wiggles said:

What about a white knight what'll smash a dudes face in during a dance number because he knows a secret? 🤔

Ten year jump in time or not how ya not talking about that every time ya see dude walking around kings landing? 😆

right. 

if we are being honest there are two pretty pure good guys in the show and they were Harwin and Lionel Strong. 

Really sucks Harwin couldn’t keep his composure for a few moments 

• Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Trying to make people smash their nieces/uncles. Not srs, but yeah I’m not down with this incest.

But they are consenting adults. Dgaf that’s nasty. 

I think folks need to understand that marrying into blood (mostly for royalty) was quite standard many centuries or millenia ago.  I get that even being attracted to a family member is the awkward part but our society is not their society. 

6 hours ago, Chachie said:

I think folks need to understand that marrying into blood (mostly for royalty) was quite standard many centuries or millenia ago.  I get that even being attracted to a family member is the awkward part but our society is not their society. 

True… and it even became taboo for Westerosi society later. For pretty much the same reasons it became taboo in ours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1