Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

1 hour ago, Conn said:

That can’t be due to the Reaves hit on Dyami right?? Clearly a player mistake and not directed or encouraged by the coaches or drill format at all. 

Going way back, didn't this happen to Gibbs when he came back also?  And it was ****ing Larry Michael's damn fault for showing too much on Redskins Nation (or whatever his crap ass propaganda show was called at the time.  The reporting even called out that the reason they knew Gibbs was breaking the news is because they saw it on Larry's damn team sponsored show.

Anyway, it's probably more than just that.  How much more, unclear.

As a complete aside, the PFT story had to mention we fined Jack the same for his little dust up.  Which I thought was somewhat unnecessary.  

58 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

How the hell does the NFL know? They have a "no contact" league official at every practice? I would be willing to bet the eye test for "contact"  is very arbitrary.

With the amount of stuff reporters and the team puts out on Instagram, they can figure it out. That's how Gibbs was caught eons ago.

OR somebody reported it to the NFLPA. Who then brought it up with the league.  

I find the latter less likely than the former.  But it's absolutely possible.  

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

How the hell does the NFL know? They have a "no contact" league official at every practice? I would be willing to bet the eye test for "contact"  is very arbitrary.

If it was due to that hit on D. Brown then that was all over the media outlets and twitter. Kinda hard to ignore that...lol

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If it was due to that hit on D. Brown then that was all over the media outlets and twitter. Kinda hard to ignore that...lol

But I would think they wouldn't fine him for one incident of incidental contact.  I gathered it was Reaves being reckless more than contact was meant to be part of the drill.  Because the second it happened, Ron was losing his mind.  It had to be more than that.  If anything, I would think the hit put them on the radar, then it was other stuff going on on top of the hit.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

It can't be just one hit.  Which by the reporting seems like it was kindof a mistake by 3 players (QB - ball was high, Brown apparently ran a soft route, and Reeves was looking at the ball, not the player.)

There is more to it  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

I read every team sends the league their practice tapes and they review them for this kind of stuff.

This is correct.  I think the NFLPA and/or league review all practice tapes for compliance and flag things.  I'd bet there was more than just the Brown-Reaves incident.

• Thumb up 1

52 minutes ago, Forehead said:

This is correct.  I think the NFLPA and/or league review all practice tapes for compliance and flag things.  I'd bet there was more than just the Brown-Reaves incident.

Yeah, @Always A Commander Never A Captain said a page back that it’s because of a 1-1 OL vs DL drill. I haven’t seen that, so I don’t know if it’s true or not, so who knows 

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think we're turning the corner with Rivera and staff.  It's important to note he is just in his 3rd year, and he took over a 3-13 team.  

But the team (not necessarily him, but the team) has drafted the following starters/primary backups:

OL: Rouiller, Cosmi, Charles, Ismael

TE: Turner, Bates, Reyes

RB: Gibson, Robinson

WR: McLaurin, Brown, Dotson, Cam Sims, (Others)

DL: Sweat, Payne, Allen, Young, William Bradley-King, James Smith-Williams, Shaka Toney, Casey Toohill, Bunmi Rotinmi, Daniel Wise

LB: Dais Holcomb

CB: St. Juice (other backups)

Safety: Curl, Forrest, Butler

So much of the core has been drafted and developed.  Sure, Allen, Payne, Sweat were already here.  But not everybody on the list was, and I do think the coaching staff has done a pretty good job, overall, developing guys.  

Even young guys they bring in, McKissic and Thomas being the 2 obvious ones, they've developed them into more than they were in other stops.

FA has been sneaky good.  Some like to bash some of their misses but EVERY team misses in FA.

Bruce liked to bargain shop in FA and he mostly ended up with flops, Brian Quick, Pryor, Reyes on and on.

These guys are sneaky good at the bargain shop signings.  McCain, L. Thomas, McKissic, Lucas, Schweitzer, D. Carter, etc.    Not all of them have been killer good but they've contributed and are or were cheap at the time of the signings.  

As far as the drafts, they were given a hard time by some for last years draft.   But it doesn't really look that bad.  Most draftniks say if you get 2-3 starters from a draft you've done good.  Cosmi is a starter.   Bates is a starter.  St Juste was playing until he got hurt.  Now he looks to be right and will be the nickle corner and play some buffalo nickle.   And judging by camp reports, Dyami and J. Davis are playing better.  Darrick Forrest is emerging as the third safety and might play Buffalo nickle.  Cheeseman, Toney, Bradley King at least contribute something. 

So some said its a lemon draft after last season.  But you got to give a draft 2-3 years at least.  And at a minimum at looks like it might end up a good draft when the whole story unfolds. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So some said its a lemon draft after last season.  But you got to give a draft 2-3 years at least. 

No.  Thor Nystrom can judge a draft class as soon as it’s been drafted against his big board, which is the definitive rating of every player.  We all should bow down to the greatness that is Thor’s big board.

There is no reason to wait.  Our draft sucked because according to Thor, Dotson was a reach 6 picks before he should have been taken.

And we blew our 3rd snd 4th round picks because according to the mighty Thor, the best value was Howell, and we should have taken him 2 rounds earlier. The fact we hit him in the fifth is irrelevant, he was best value in the third.  

You’re crazy if you have to wait 2-3 years.  Thor knows.  Our draft sucked.  It didn’t line up with either Thor or the consensus big boards. 

We really should fire all our scouts and just draft based on the Almighty Thor’s board.  Since Dan is broke it would save a lot of money too.  :P 

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Most draftniks say if you get 2-3 starters from a draft you've done good. 

I think there's one little caveat to this rule, that you must get 2-3 starters on a good team and it's a good draft.

If you get 2-3 starters but you only win 3 games it's hard to tell if those guys should be starters or not.

We've had some starters over the years that really shouldn't have been.

Caught up with Paulsen on Standig's podcast he caught all the practices

A.  Dotson remained consistently sharp

B.  Christian Holmes looked consistently good too, Shawn Springs also thought highly of him

C.  Wentz looked really sharp until minicamp.  In minicamp Del Rio brought the pressure on Wentz and Wentz to Paulsen's eyes lost some confidence, accuracy wasn't hot, saw pressure before it was there, started to roll in the pocket without pressure, etc.  He said that was his red flag when watching Wentz's Colts tape so to keep an eye on that.

D.  Looks like the slot-big nickle will be filled this way.  Kurl playing Big Nickle and St. Juste playing slot based on what he sees in practice.  St. Juste he said has looked consistently sharp

E.  TEs looked good, a bunch of them have, he talked to someone from the team who told him will see when they practice with pads who wants it more among that group

F.  LB is just about always 2 sets, sometimes 1.  doesn't really see 3 sets.  Outside of Davis, Holcomb, Hudson, Mayo -- no one has emerged to his eyes that looks hot as LB #5.  Some flashes from those guys but were inconsistent.

G.  Some concern about the safety spot.  If Curl plays big nickel who is safety #3?  Darrick Forrest looks to him more like a strong safety -- attacks downfield well but a bit shaky in coverage even though they have him play some post safety in practice.   Butler looks more like a FS, he has come on lately.  I recall him saying he started slow early this off season.

H.  He criticized William Jackson's play early on this off season but he looks much better lately

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, redskinss said:

I think there's one little caveat to this rule, that you must get 2-3 starters on a good team and it's a good draft.

If you get 2-3 starters but you only win 3 games it's hard to tell if those guys should be starters or not.

We've had some starters over the years that really shouldn't have been.

Good starter is the idea.

I think you can tell good versus bad players on most teams.  for example, Jamin Davis, didn't have a good year, he started plenty enough to be considered a starter but I don't count him.  Cosmi and Bates on the other hand played well. 

My point on that was some here and some within the local media have taken some shots at Rivera's last draft as if he definitely failed.  My point in response is its premature.  Judging by camp fodder it could end up a good draft without really stretching it.   If all that happens is St. Juste lives up to his billing and Bates and Cosmi contine to grow, then IMO that was a good draft.  that would mean Darrick Forrest's good camp according to some will end up flopping.  Ditto Jamin Davis and Dyami looking good in camp ends up nothing.  Conversely if all that happens is 1 of those three things come true then it was a very good draft. 

But will see.  The point of course applies both ways.  I recall for example, people thinking Shanny nailed the 2011 draft, a bunch of guys showed flashes in season 1 but in the end it was "meh". 

The hard thing with draft picks is fans (me too) get so excited about all of the picks because they all have interesting narratives that its disappointing if just one of them fails let alone 60-70% of them fail as what typically happens. 

• Like 1

After the team selected him in the third round of the 2021 NFL draft, cornerback Benjamin St-Juste was the talk of Washington’s offseason. Coaches and players praised St-Juste for his showing in OTAs and minicamp last spring.

St-Juste’s rookie season didn’t go quite as planned due to concussions. The concussions limited St-Juste to only nine games as a rookie. When he played, St-Juste had his ups and downs like any other rookie, but as the season progressed, he looked much more comfortable.

Heading into the offseason, there were concerns about Washington’s cornerback depth behind starters Kendall Fuller and William Jackson III. St-Juste was back, but was he completely healthy?

The Commanders chose not to add a veteran corner in free agency, instead adding Christian Holmes in the seventh round of the 2022 NFL draft. That spoke of Washington’s confidence in St-Juste.

In OTAs, former Washington cornerback Shawn Springs heaped praise on St-Juste.

“Last year seeing him, you could see the potential. I called him ‘Baby Richard Sherman’ at times,” Springs said.

During this week’s minicamp, St-Juste continued his impressive play during practice. After the offseason concluded Thursday, head coach Ron Rivera was asked to name some defensive players who stood out, and St-Juste was the first name he mentioned.

“There’s been several guys that have really had some really good camps and, you know, very pleased with what we’ve seen from [CB] Benjamin [St-Juste],” Rivera said. “I think St -Juste had a very good offseason. It’s good to see him, you know, back and, and doing the things that he is capable of.”

It’s no accident that so many have said the same things regarding St-Juste. Defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio has also praised St-Juste this offseason.

Sure, OTAs and minicamps are glorified practices without hitting, but you can learn a lot from watching wide receivers and cornerbacks. And St-Juste stood out. If he can stay healthy in 2022, St-Juste could have a breakout season for Washington’s defense.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 10:48 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Haven't you heard? Those are our alternate uniforms. 

On 6/17/2022 at 7:17 AM, HigSkin said:

Hilarious!

Please don't get hurt doing that. I know I would. 

On 6/17/2022 at 10:48 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

On 6/17/2022 at 7:17 AM, HigSkin said:

blockquote widget

Edited by duffy

22 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good starter is the idea.

I think you can tell good versus bad players on most teams.  for example, Jamin Davis, didn't have a good year, he started plenty enough to be considered a starter but I don't count him.  Cosmi and Bates on the other hand played well. 

My point on that was some here and some within the local media have taken some shots at Rivera's last draft as if he definitely failed.  My point in response is its premature.  Judging by camp fodder it could end up a good draft without really stretching it.   If all that happens is St. Juste lives up to his billing and Bates and Cosmi contine to grow, then IMO that was a good draft.  that would mean Darrick Forrest's good camp according to some will end up flopping.  Ditto Jamin Davis and Dyami looking good in camp ends up nothing.  Conversely if all that happens is 1 of those three things come true then it was a very good draft. 

But will see.  The point of course applies both ways.  I recall for example, people thinking Shanny nailed the 2011 draft, a bunch of guys showed flashes in season 1 but in the end it was "meh". 

The hard thing with draft picks is fans (me too) get so excited about all of the picks because they all have interesting narratives that its disappointing if just one of them fails let alone 60-70% of them fail as what typically happens. 

This is it right here. 

I fall in love with the narrative so much for these guys that it's hard to see them not succeeding.I mean AGG is a speed Rubik's cube solver. Of course he'll be a great WR. 

• Like 1

Pete Hailey on The Junkies this morning said pickup Dotson on your fantasy team.  Guy catches everything, already looks like a pro and is going to be a beast and appears to be Wentz's favorite target.  Yes, Mclaurin wasn't on the field but he said there's a real connection with him and Wentz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, HigSkin said:
Pete Hailey on The Junkies this morning said pickup Dotson on your fantasy team.  Guy catches everything, already looks like a pro and is going to be a beast and appears to be Wentz's favorite target.  Yes, Mclaurin wasn't on the field but he said there's a real connection with him and Wentz.

Curious if Bram is making that O-line observation based on the OTAs. Cause in all fairness the oline was playing without leno or lucsas at LT. No Chase Rouiller at C. And the starting G having to start at center because of the chase injury 

• Like 1

@HigSkin Yeah, I listened to Bram on Keim's podcast. 

On the OL, I think his point was a little more nuanced than the tweet.  He did say they might be overselling the group, but his overall point was, 2/5ths of the line changed and Rouiller isn't practicing yet.  Cosmi was hurt a bunch last year.  So ....

But Keim said, and Bram agreed, they get the benefit of the doubt because it is the best coached unit on the team by Masko.

Bram was concerned they wouldn't be "as strong" as last year's unit because of the loss of Scherff and Flowers.  (to use a Bram phrase) I'll hear him out on that.

He did say he thought when Rouiller was practicing, that would put his mind at ease a little bit.  Cosmi clearly has to stay healthy.  I think getting Lucas back as the swing backup was huge.  

He was very much in a "wait and see" mode.  I agree with that.  And I hear what he's saying.  

I will say, I didn't remember Rouiller's injury to be this major, that there was a chance he wouldn't be able to start the season.  I don't know if that's the case or not, but it is definitely worth watching.  That said, Larsen, Ismael and Schweitzer all can play center (and did at times last year, somewhat effectively), so it's not a HUGE deal.  

On the depth issues on the defense, we'll see on that one.  Ron last year went with a whole bunch of unproven guys behind Young and Sweat, and they ended up playing, and ended up playing pretty well.  There were a lot of folks who thought he was nuts not to bring Kerrigan back on a low-money deal, because why not.  And he didn't, and it wasn't a disaster.  

I kindof feel the same way about the secondary this year.  LB, they just don't have bodies.  I think because they just don't want to play LBs.  But who knows.  

2 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Curious if Bram is making that O-line observation based on the OTAs. Cause in all fairness the oline was playing without leno or lucsas at LT. No Chase Rouiller at C. And the starting G having to start at center because of the chase injury 

See my post right above.  More nuance to Bram's comments on the OL from the podcast.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@HigSkin Yeah, I listened to Bram on Keim's podcast. 

On the OL, I think his point was a little more nuanced than the tweet.  He did say they might be overselling the group, but his overall point was, 2/5ths of the line changed and Rouiller isn't practicing yet.  Cosmi was hurt a bunch last year.  So ....

But Keim said, and Bram agreed, they get the benefit of the doubt because it is the best coached unit on the team by Masko.

Bram was concerned they wouldn't be "as strong" as last year's unit because of the loss of Scherff and Flowers.  (to use a Bram phrase) I'll hear him out on that.

He did say he thought when Rouiller was practicing, that would put his mind at ease a little bit.  Cosmi clearly has to stay healthy.  I think getting Lucas back as the swing backup was huge.  

He was very much in a "wait and see" mode.  I agree with that.  And I hear what he's saying.  

I will say, I didn't remember Rouiller's injury to be this major, that there was a chance he wouldn't be able to start the season.  I don't know if that's the case or not, but it is definitely worth watching.  That said, Larsen, Ismael and Schweitzer all can play center (and did at times last year, somewhat effectively), so it's not a HUGE deal.  

On the depth issues on the defense, we'll see on that one.  Ron last year went with a whole bunch of unproven guys behind Young and Sweat, and they ended up playing, and ended up playing pretty well.  There were a lot of folks who thought he was nuts not to bring Kerrigan back on a low-money deal, because why not.  And he didn't, and it wasn't a disaster.  

I kindof feel the same way about the secondary this year.  LB, they just don't have bodies.  I think because they just don't want to play LBs.  But who knows.  

See my post right above.  More nuance to Bram's comments on the OL from the podcast.  

Ill have to give it a listen. My biggest concern with the Rouiller injury is having to move Schweitzer to C even if he plays decently well there youre still then getting back ups at two spots instead of one. 

Just now, ultravin said:

what's going on with Sapp coaching the Dline?  was that just for that week?  or did they actually hire him?  that would be really interesting if they did hire him to assist with coaching the dline

He came in for a couple days as a favor to the assistant d line coach and Mayhew as he played with both of them and still close with them. I believe he did say hed be back for a couple days at training camp

• Like 1

aside from all the rhetoric .. i am actually concerned about the O line going in to the season.

1. Everyone knows O line needs time to jell

2. we have 2 new starters and a center thats not yet ready to hit the field.. so possibly 3 new starters when season starts.

3. If the Oline plays like poo the first half the season (ala Fitzmagic) it could break Wentz's already fragile psyche, and once that happens we have a 2020 Wentz and a bunch of wasted pics/ $$$