Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Definitely, I just think the "4 Dlinemen is bad cap" narrative is flawed. Were poised to be able to keep them all together. 

This season, if they dominate like they should, I think they stay together. 

You're also right, that this is essentially a contract year for Sweat and we're in position to pay him in a way that keeps it open to resign Chase when needed, so it's not a stretch at all.

Ill be curious to see the full structure of Terrys contract. If this is anywhere close to accurate with his cap hits and the void years which the team does like to use we could be in really good cap situation next off season. I know people were upset we didnt do more in FA like some other teams did. I do think they really like the roster but I also think if we had say traded for Russ we wouldve seen team do more. With Wentz and being in wait and see mode it seems if we make the playoffs this year next year is the year I could see them spending some money to try and push them over the top. If this is close to accurate and they move some of Carsons money around they could have a ton of cap next offseason even if you extend Sweat

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig and Sheehan just talked about this again. 

Standig thinks Payne will be the odd man out, doesn't think its smart from what he heard to pay 4 D lineman but he doesn't rule it out.

He doubled down that they put out feelers in the off season to trade Payne

He said you can pick up cues from Rivera's own rhetoric where he will say he doesn't want to let players go and when cued up about Payne, Rivera doesn't say that about Payne.

I think the play of Mathis will probably have a lot to do with what they decide to do about Payne next offseason as well. If Mathis plays well and looks like he can be an adequate replacement without having to spend significant draft capital in the next draft (1st or 2nd rounder) on another DL then yeah I agree they definitely let him walk. 

• Like 4

Big John Bates is an absolute stud. I'm really excited to see the jump this year. If he can be a 500 yard guy, redzone target and continue to be one of the better inline blocking TEs, it's the kind of role player that puts an offense well over the top.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Last I heard, Kerrigan bought a home in the area and has been frequenting the LoCo farmers markets.  I assume he's done and perhaps looking for a non-playing gig in the area.

When he officially retires, I hope the team gives him a 1 day contract to retire where he got drafted. Either that or have a halftime where they invite him out and honor him, like the nats did with Zimmerman. He deserves it 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

17 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

When he officially retires, I hope the team gives him a 1 day contract to retire where he got drafted. Either that or have a halftime where they invite him out and honor him, like the nats did with Zimmerman. He deserves it 

They should've showed him love last year when he came back to town. They need to make amends imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

They should've showed him love last year when he came back to town. They need to make amends imo. 

Does that happen in the NFL though? I feel like it happens more in baseball and hockey but never (or rarely) in the NFL, and especially not if the player is on a division rivals team. 

I hope (and I doubt they are) this team is smart enough to give him the moment he deserves when he officially retires. 

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Does that happen in the NFL though? I feel like it happens more in baseball and hockey but never (or rarely) in the NFL, and especially not if the player is on a division rivals team. 

I hope (and I doubt they are) this team is smart enough to give him the moment he deserves when he officially retires. 

I don't know but if they really want to have the fans feel like they are a part of the team acknowledging someone that gave so much for the franchise seems wise to me. Break the mold. If they had showed him on the jumbotron pre-game or whatever I'm sure the fans would've cheered and both he and the fans would've felt like the team cared. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If they do, there is no way they don’t hose it up.

classic film kiss GIF by Turner Classic Movies

:229:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

We signed a LB named Washington from Indy back in the 2000’s, and I was at the 2005 or 6 game in Indy and they had a thank you video for him.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We signed a LB named Washington from Indy back in the 2000’s, and I was at the 2005 or 6 game in Indy and they had a thank you video for him.

Oh yeah Marcus Washington. 

well, colts/redskins weren’t division rivals, and the eagles/WFT are, maybe that played a part in it? Whatever the reason, Again i hope they have something planned for when he officially retires :) 

8 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Oh yeah Marcus Washington. 

well, colts/redskins weren’t division rivals, and the eagles/WFT are, maybe that played a part in it? Whatever the reason, Again i hope they have something planned for when he officially retires :) 

Marcus Washington is one of the best FA signings of the Snyder era

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, method man said:

Marcus Washington is one of the best FA signings of the Snyder era

There have been a few good ones mixed in with all the bad.  Cornelius Griffin, Marcus Washington, Pierre Garcon, London Fletcher, and DJax are the ones which come to mind. I'm sure there are a few others, especially some good role players from 2005-2007. 

The issue is the ratio hasn't been good.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There have been a few good ones mixed in with all the bad.  Cornelius Griffin, Marcus Washington, Pierre Garcon, London Fletcher, and DJax are the ones which come to mind. I'm sure there are a few others, especially some good role players from 2005-2007. 

The issue is the ratio hasn't been good.   

And that ratio was heavily offset by cost. It's like the more we pay, the worse they were.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

And that ratio was heavily offset by cost. It's like the more we pay, the worse they were.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true but I refuse to do the research. We have been bottom feeders in the NFC east for the entire Dan Snyder era regardless of whether he doles out big contracts to guys like Albert Haynsworth or not. Have we made a big splash like that since? I feel like that may have actually humbled him and the last ten years have been very austere when it comes to free agency outside a couple headscratchers. He seems to have moved his focus to reaching in the draft in the last decade for questionable talent, especially at the QB position. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/here-are-biggest-free-agent-contracts-nfl-history

We're not even on this list but two of our division rivals and tow of our former players are. 

1. Kirk Cousins, Minnesota Vikings, 2018: Three years, $84M ($28M AAV)

T-2. Tom Brady Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2020: Two years, $50M ($25M AAV)

T-2. Philip Rivers, Indianapolis Colts, 2020: One year, $25M 

4. Trent Williams, San Francisco 49ers, 2021: Six years, $138.06M ($23.01M AAV)

5. Nick Foles, Jacksonville Jaguars, 2019: Four years, $88M ($22M AAV)

6. Teddy Bridgewater, Carolina Panthers, 2020: Three years, $63M ($21M AAV)

T-7. Amari Cooper, Dallas Cowboys: 2020: Five years, $100M ($20M AAV)

T-7. Sam Bradford, Arizona Cardinals, 2018: One year, $20M

9. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos, 2012: Five years, $96M ($19.2M AAV)

10. Ndamukong Suh, Miami Dolphins, 2015: Six years, $114.38M ($19.06M AAV)

T-11. Trey Flowers, Detroit Lions, 2019: Five years, $90M ($18M AAV)

T-11. Brock Osweiler, Houston Texans, 2016: Four years, $72M ($18M AAV)

T-11. Kenny Golladay, New York Giants, 2021: Four years, $72M ($18M AAV)

T-11. Case Keenum, Denver Broncos, 2018: Two years, $36M ($18M AAV)

T-15. Olivier Vernon, New York Giants, 2016: Five years, $85M ($17M AAV)