Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

29 minutes ago, zCommander said:

TC Lottery? Wat the hell? I miss those days when I could just go when I had the time as long as I singed up. Not liking this new FO now. :(

Yeah. It sucks too, for the first time that they held it in the DC area in years. If it was free admission though it would probably be packed. And that is given people's feelings about Snyder. I still recall my last training camp in DC. Gibbs went over to sign and there was a huge mass of people pushing for his autograph. Pretty terrifying; squished me like crazy

It should also be noted that the fanbase has withered significantly since 2004 or whenver that was. Which is why I'm suspicious how it could sell out. I suspect there were like 10 slots available to non-STH. They artificially keep the lottery tickets low. ;)

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Yeah. It sucks too, for the first time that they held it in the DC area in years. If it was free admission though it would probably be packed. And that is given people's feelings about Snyder. I still recall my last training camp in DC. Gibbs went over to sign and there was a huge mass of people pushing for his autograph. Pretty terrifying; squished me like crazy

It should also be noted that the fanbase has withered significantly since 2004 or whenver that was. Which is why I'm suspicious how it could sell out. I suspect there were like 10 slots available to non-STH. They artificially keep the lottery tickets low. ;)

Last time I was there the year before they moved to Richmond.

Before that, I remember the year RG3 was drafted and everyone wanted his sig but I was like nah. I will wait and see if he can become someone first. I had my big ass camera around my neck and security thought I was part of the media and was able to get on the field and stood next to Cooley while he got interviewed by Comcast Sports Net. Got his sig and Moss's. Then saw Shanny and waived my hat to get his sig as he become closer to me in the line but he said I gotta go and I was like man that is rude...lol 

It wasn't a mad house since I went to the morning session when most of the people are at work. Maybe they trying to make the crowd even smaller and take away the true fan experience.

I didn't even know that there was this lottery bull**** when I went to the website today to give them a headcount that I am going to be there only to find out signing up is now closed. I guess there is always next year. 

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@zCommander there’s also the fedexfield free practice on 8/6. that’s not a lottery, and it’s free to attend, if you get the free ticket 

also the year before the team moved camp to Richmond WAS griffins rookie year (2012). Just to clear up your post :) 

Saturdays are a no go for me it is too crowded to boot. Okay so it was 2012 then the last time I went... Damn that was a long time ago. lol

Although I didn't get drawn in the lottery, I actually like this concept more. Assuming it means less crowds and a better opportunity to get a good view and possibly have some interaction with the players. It also means the crowd will less full of bored people and more likely have actual fans

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Saturdays are a no go for me it is too crowded to boot. Okay so it was 2012 then the last time I went... Damn that was a long time ago. lol

Too crowded meaning traffic? Or the stadium? If it’s the stadium crowd you’re worried about, my guess is it’ll be like last year where it’s not crowded at all, so you’d be fine if that’s what the worry is. 

On 7/16/2022 at 7:32 AM, bowhunter said:

Although I didn't get drawn in the lottery, I actually like this concept more. Assuming it means less crowds and a better opportunity to get a good view and possibly have some interaction with the players. It also means the crowd will less full of bored people and more likely have actual fans

Stinks for me. I used to go down for TC when it was in Fairfax. At least every other year. Not going to plan trips around lottery systems any time soon. Especially with the kiddos.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Stinks for me. I used to go down for TC when it was in Fairfax. At least every other year. Not going to plan trips around lottery systems any time soon. Especially with the kiddos.

I went once in Carlisle Pa when Spurrier was the coach, that was a few years ago.

Got Patrick Ramseys autograph the first day he signed after his holdout.

That was a fun trip, especially since there weren't many people there at all.

Haven't considered going since then.

• Like 1

Went to Carlisle 1981 Mark May's rookie year. I have a picture of my then girlfriend now wife at a bar sitting in May's lap at a huge round table with a bunch of other Skins players. They were all drinking margarita's out of beer pitchers. The table was filled with empty pitchers. They were pouring them for anyone who had a glass. Drinking mostly but they did give away a lot.

Good times. Reminds me - I gotta find that pic for some Christmas gag gifts.

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 5

Keim on his podcast this morning.  Nothing major.  Chase Young he thinks will miss the start of the start of the season -- guessing 2-4 games.  Logan Thomas has a shot to start the season

He talked about the survey of coaches-scouts personnel guys ranking the best players.  Some mentions in the mix Terry, Allen, Gibson, Chase but overall not hot for the roster.

Here's the DTs ranked.  Its another example of Payne IMO needs a breaktrhough season if he wants Jonathan Allen type money.  I think the best I've seen recently for any DT ranking whether its from fellow players or whomever for Payne is #18. 

Some come back with Payne is a run stopper, 2 gap double teamed type and those guys aren't hearlded.  IMO that's far from true.  For starters Payne 1 gaps plenty.  And plenty monster run stoppers get hearlded -- Snacks used to get a lot of hype for that and was an All Pro, Vea plays in pro bowls, etc.  Vita Vea 2 gaps a ton but he's a monster who consistently collapses the pocket or swallows double teams albiet he's not always healthy.  for Payne to take that next step, he needs to be consistent.  He's had moments but not consistentcy.  But maybe him walking into a FA year brings out his best -- he's a good player, not IMO a great player but he does have great talent.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34130804/ranking-nfl-top-10-defensive-tackles-2022-execs-coaches-players-pick-best-interior-pass-rushers-run-stoppers

_end_rule.png16716.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

1. Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 1

Zero quotes or argument needed here. Donald got every single first-place vote.

He's a three-time Defensive Player of the Year with 98 sacks in eight seasons. His 26.7% pass rush win rate was nearly seven points higher than that of any other defensive tackle in 2021. And the Rams just gave him $40 million in additional contract money just for being him.

"I just try to appreciate his greatness," an NFC scout said. "But I don't have to play him as a guard."

4035369.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

2. Jeffery Simmons, Tennessee Titans

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: Out of top 10

In last year's ranking, a general manager said Simmons might be the closest thing to Donald as far as NFL defensive tackles go. No one is close to Donald, to be sure. But as far as game-wreckers, Simmons exploded onto the scene in his third season.

• 19dBen Linsey

"One of the best defenders in football," an NFL scouting director said. "Right behind Donald as far as tackles. He's the scary guy you don't want to see."

In 2021, Simmons produced 8.5 sacks while recording the highest run stop win rate on this list (38.4%, 20th in the NFL).

"Game-wrecker," an AFC scout said. "Can play 3-technique or nose tackle, high motor, physical, unique blend of get-off quickness and power, impacts the game in both phases. Another guy you have to know where he is at all times."

Some evaluators argue he's not as pure a pass-rusher as some of the others listed here. But that's nit-picking. His presence and power cause disruption.

3044859.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

3. Chris Jones, Kansas City Chiefs

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: Out of top 10

Jones' pass-rush prowess is among the game's best. Despite facing double-teams on nearly 50% of his pass rushes, he wins on 20% of his overall rushes, second on this list behind Donald.

"Very effective as a pass-rusher, specifically when he is able to get one-on-one matchups, which isn't very often," a veteran NFL defensive coach said. "The Chiefs needed more of those in the playoffs. He also has an excellent feel for batting passes down."

Jones finished last year with nine total pass breakups (five passes defended, four batted passes). His 42 pressures ranked him second among interior defensive linemen behind Donald, and he posted 9.0 sacks in 2021. Most agree Jones is a dominant force when he wants to be. But he struggled early in his career with erratic play.

"I give the tiebreak to Simmons [at No. 2] because Jones can be inconsistent," an NFC personnel executive said. "But Jones is probably the better pure rusher."

2971282.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

4. DeForest Buckner, Indianapolis Colts

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: 8

Buckner might be the most complete player on this list, save Donald. In each of the past four seasons, Buckner has produced at least seven sacks, 58 tackles and nine tackles for loss.

One of Colts GM Chris Ballard's savviest moves was acquiring Buckner via a trade with the 49ers two years ago. Since then, the Colts have had a perennial top-five player at the position with 16.5 sacks since 2020.

"Tough, instinctive, needs to be accounted for in both phases," an AFC scout said. "Routinely beats single blocks and is racking up the sack numbers since the trade with San Francisco."

13977.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

5. Cameron Heyward, Pittsburgh Steelers

Highest ranking: 3 | Lowest ranking: Out of top 10

Heyward's early-30s trajectory has been impressive.

"Look at his numbers and watch him -- there's no decline at all," an NFL scouting director said.

Heyward, who turned 33 in May, put together one of his best performances in Year 11 with 10 sacks, 89 tackles and 15 tackles for loss on his way to first-team All-Pro status and a fifth consecutive Pro Bowl.

"I still really like Cam Heyward as a top guy," a separate NFC exec said. "He's just got a power to his game where, when he gets his hands on you, he can drive you back. And he plays his ass off."

Heyward might have a post-playing career in volleyball after recording 16 passes defended (passes either batted or deflected), the highest total among this group. And he did it without recently retired lineman Stephon Tuitt, who missed all of last season, by his side.

3122752.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

6. Kenny Clark, Green Bay Packers

Clark has remained consistent as an interior player with nose tackle and pass-rush capabilities. But this is the first year in the three years of this exercise that he has been a constant among voters' top-10 ballots.

"He came into the league when he was 20, so he was still growing into himself, but he's only getting better," an NFC personnel executive said. "Quick hands, plays with balance and body control, stays square."

In 2021, Clark posted a career-high 13 quarterback hits and 33 pressures on the way to a second Pro Bowl. However, his 34.2% run stop win rate ranked 41st among all defensive linemen.

3134362.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

7. Vita Vea, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Some voters label Vea a two-down player, more of a traditional nose tackle. And yes, his total of 581 snaps in 16 games last year is considered low among top interior players, many of whom logged at least 700. But Vea is still impactful anytime he takes the field.

"The way he can manhandle centers and can also play on third down and be effective when fresh really impresses me," said an NFC exec who voted him in the top three. "I wouldn't want to go against him."

Vea logged 33 tackles and 4.5 sacks with a 10.5% pass rush win rate from the interior (16th among defensive tackles) last year. He has always been a stout run-stopper throughout his career, too. His 38.8% run stop win rate since 2019 ranks him among the top 15 defensive linemen.

"He's a top guy for me, and it's not that close," an NFL scouting coordinator said. "He's got raw power that you can't teach."

2971275.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

8. Arik Armstead, San Francisco 49ers

Armstead has played defensive end and tackle for the 49ers over the years, but he thrived as a playmaker inside in 2021, racking up 63 tackles and 6.0 sacks. He posted a solid 77.9 grade from Pro Football Focus.

"He can be dominant at times, kind of like a younger Fletcher Cox," an NFC executive said. "Can play with length and quickness."

Armstead's sack total was back up with a healthy Nick Bosa in the lineup. He recorded 3.5 in 2020, which Bosa mostly missed with a torn ACL in his left knee. But that shouldn't be held against him. At 6-foot-7 and 290 pounds, Armstead can affect about any game plan. He posted 29 pressures last season, and his 37.6% run stop win rate was 16th among linemen.

2576492.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

9. Grady Jarrett, Atlanta Falcons

Highest ranking: 4 | Lowest ranking: Out of top 10

For the second consecutive year, Jarrett garnered enough votes to sneak into the top 10 but not enough to make a sizable jump.

Jeremy Fowler asked more than 50 NFL execs, coaches, scouts and players to rank every position's top 10 for 2022:
 Defense: DE/OLB | DT | LB | CB | S
 Offense: QB | RB | WR | TE | OT | G/C

"A little declined but really good player," an NFL senior personnel exec said. "Wins with initial quickness. Still one of the best at that. So if he keeps that, he'll always be productive."

We saw one sack in 2021 on 12 quarterback hits for Jarrett, whose baseline stats don't tell his full story. His get-off (burst off the line of scrimmage) still stands out. And the Falcons rewarded that skill with a big-money extension this offseason.

Once labeled as a player who struggles against the run, Jarrett comes in with a decently strong 35.5% run stop win rate (35th among defensive linemen) to complement his 15.4% pass rush rate (fourth among defensive tackles).

3054840.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

10. Jonathan Allen, Washington Commanders

Highest ranking: 4 | Lowest ranking: Out of top 10

Allen makes his first appearance in the top 10 after edging out Leonard Williams and many others due to his consistency. He has always been a high-level tackle, but a career-high 9.0 sacks earned him his first Pro Bowl last season. The Commanders needed more pass-rushing with Chase Young out, and they got it from Allen.

"He played really well last year, and he also gives them a big leadership component," an NFC exec said. "He does everything the way you want, from the way he plays the position to the way he leads."

Allen had a 12.1% pass rush win rate last year from the interior (eighth in the NFL), and he recorded 34 pressures overall.

Honorable mentions

2971622.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

Leonard Williams, New York Giants: Williams had a solid 2021 season with 6.5 sacks and 81 tackles on a bad Giants defense. Many evaluators agree he'd be in the top five based on talent. "He's got more athleticism than most," an AFC executive said. "He's underachieved somewhat, but he's on a bad football team. Talented dude." Williams' 6.2% pass rush win rate (111th in the NFL) last season was unimpressive.

2983055.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

Javon Hargrave, Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles' signing of Hargrave two years ago has looked really smart. He posted 7.5 sacks and earned his first Pro Bowl. "Serious lower-body power," an AFC scout said. "The leverage and quickness he creates is ridiculous."

3894915.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

D.J. Jones, Denver Broncos: Jones' breakout 2021 campaign with San Francisco took him from rotational guy to marquee free agent, earning a three-year, $30 million deal with Denver. Jones' 47.1% run stop win rate was No. 2 in the NFL last season, and first among defensive linemen. "Good player, makes flash plays but always thought he was best in a rotation," an AFC scout said.

14941.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

Fletcher Cox, Philadelphia Eagles: It's a bit of a surprise to see Cox out of the top 10, but after 10 seasons, he's no longer considered the star he once was. In March, the Eagles waived Cox for cap purposes only to bring him back on a one-year deal. "He's declined a little bit, but he's still a good starter," an NFC executive said. "Can still turn it on when you need him."

Also receiving votes: Quinnen Williams (New York Jets), D.J. Reader (Cincinnati Bengals), Christian Wilkins (Miami Dolphins), J.J. Watt (Arizona Cardinals), Calais Campbell (Baltimore Ravens), David Onyemata (New Orleans Saints)

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim on his podcast this morning.  Nothing major.  Chase Young he thinks will miss the start of the start of the season -- guessing 2-4 games.  Logan Thomas has a shot to start the season

I think I'd prefer to have Logan from the get-go over Chase anyway. I really want our offense to be humming this year. Our D can be serviceable without Chase to start.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Went to Carlisle 1981 Mark May's rookie year. I have a picture of my then girlfriend now wife at a bar sitting in May's lap at a huge round table with a bunch of other Skins players. They were all drinking margarita's out of beer pitchers. The table was filled with empty pitchers. They were pouring them for anyone who had a glass. Drinking mostly but they did give away a lot.

Good times. Reminds me - I gotta find that pic for some Christmas gag gifts.

Same story but with Russ Grimm..was the bar "The Gingerbread Man"? That's where we met the players.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Same story but with Russ Grimm..was the bar "The Gingerbread Man"? That's where we met the players.

Awesome! I don't remember but that sounds right. It was the bar where most of the players went to. We were only at camp 1 day - went to Hershey Park on day 2. 

Edit - just Googled it - yeah, that's the place!

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 1

I've never understood why, in a league so ultra competitive where the tiniest advantage can matter that teams report to camp on different dates.

There's like 7 teams who's rookies report today, you'd think that number would be 32.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I've never understood why, in a league so ultra competitive where the tiniest advantage can matter that teams report to camp on different dates.

There's like 7 teams who's rookies report today, you'd think that number would be 32.

I always thought the number of practice days for camp was controlled by the NFLPA deal in place. The exception was for teams playing in the HOF game which got to start earlier but still had the same number of practices before the final roster cuts to 53.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, redskinss said:

1st year coaches get extra practice sessions. I know that’s one of the reasons.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Ravens and patriots are two of the teams having rookies report today and they have two of the longest tenured head coaches in the league so that's not it.

Yeah, the only thing first year coaches can get a head start on is OTAs in April. 

For training camp, teams can have rookies report earlier than their veterans for an extra few days of orientation if they choose to, otherwise teams report to camp within 17 days of their first preseason game usually 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Well this is interesting, anyone else getting this in the mail?

20220719_160237.jpg

Are you still a directv customer?

I canceled and was just ordering their internet based package for the last couple years.

I'm assuming I won't be getting anything like this because I haven't had directv in years.

18 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I canceled and was just ordering their internet based package for the last couple years.

I'm assuming I won't be getting anything like this because I haven't had directv in years.

I still am subbed to DTV, and they emailed me about a month ago telling me the NFL ticket is free for me this year.  No idea why.  They also gave it to me free last season.  Now, in years past (randomly over the last decade) there were times I leveraged getting NFL ticket for free in exchange for re-upping my contract, but these last two seasons they have just given it to me for free without any kind of solicitation by me.  I am not sure if this is a soft-negotiating tactic to try and keep their long time customers on board or what, but I'll gladly take it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Yeah the wife and I are way behind the times and have had Dtv for years. A few years back I told them I was going to cancel and they gave me the nfl package for free. Tried it 2 years ago and it didn't work.