Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

2 hours ago, Wyvern said:

I'm using this thread,  because I didn't see one dedicated to the Offensive Line.  So, once Training Camp starts, I'm hoping to hear more about how the offensive line is doing. 

I'm posting this because I've seen some "You-Tube Analysts" who claiim the new FA Guards Washington brought in (Norwell, Turner) to replace Scherff  and Flowers are effectively past their prime and will not provide as much protection. They hint that will limit Wentz's effectiveness, and maybe even the running game.

If true, that could be worrisome, especially if Roullier still needs time to fully recover his pre-injury form. So, I'd be interested in peoples' thoughts on whether Washington's 2022-2023 interior O-Line will be able to provide as reliable a pocket as Wentz seems to need. 

There's also the issue of whether Cosmi continues his improvement at RT, and how good his ceiling is and if he can remain injury-free. While I think Leno will still be solid at LT,  Washington better hope both starting Tackles can play all 17 games.  Lucas can be a decent backup, but Charles can't handle either tackle position. 

Right now, it looks like Washington may keep just 9 players for the Offensive Line:   Charles Leno Jr., Andrew Norwell, Chase Roullier, Trai Turner, Sam Cosmi, Cornelius Lucas, Wes Schweitzer, Saahdiq Charles, Tyler Larsen.  IMHO,  It would be great if they could sign another tackle, or develop one.

I hear you.  I was concerned last year and yet, they seemed make to make lemonade out of lemons.  In my mind, 80% of the starting line are in the "we will see" category.

Don't forget they seem to be high on the 7th round pick, Chris Paul - guard from Tulsa.

:229:The Rook

42 minutes ago, The Rook said:

I hear you.  I was concerned last year and yet, they seemed make to make lemonade out of lemons.  In my mind, 80% of the starting line are in the "we will see" category.

Don't forget they seem to be high on the 7th round pick, Chris Paul - guard from Tulsa.

Yeah, I think it’s an area to be concerned about for sure because we need Wentz to succeed (and those questions marks @Wyvernpointed out are legitimate).  As you alluded to, last year seemed to showcase high end coaching.

I’ll add that 1) we probably see Sweitzer grab a starting spot if Turner or Norwell struggle, and 2) I doubt most teams are confident in their 4th tackle.  The big wildcards to me are Roullier recovering and Cosmi showing growth in the pass game and staying healthy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Clearly not the same caliber of talent.

Jamin Davis spent 4 years in college. Redshirted as a freshman, then was never good enough to be a starter until he was a Senior.

Washington clearly missed this pick and wasted #19 on him.

Complete opposite of Micah Parsons who was so talented that he hit the ground running in college and spent an entire Covid season training for the NFL.

Not an Apples to Apples athlete comparison, rather a boom or bust 1st round pick comparison.

They had a horrible draft last year and below average draft this year.

Jamin Davis is not a good NFL LB'er and they're trying to salvage the draft blunder now.

That and Parsons wasn't out of position. He's always been a natural Edge/WS OLB and that's exactly what he played. But he's also a freak of an athlete. Dude runs like a 4.3 40.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Rook said:

Chris Paul is one of my sleepers right  now. I also like Danny White and I'm curious to who will become the training camp crush like Jimmy Moreland a few years ago. We have a lot of injries from last year and some others are sure to arise in camp so I want to see which UDFA Rookie takes over and becomes a fan favorite . Wouldn't surprise me if a UDFA TE has fans excited. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 6:20 PM, Wyvern said:

I'm posting this because I've seen some "You-Tube Analysts" who claiim the new FA Guards Washington brought in (Norwell, Turner) to replace Scherff  and Flowers are effectively past their prime and will not provide as much protection. They hint that will limit Wentz's effectiveness, and maybe even the running game.

Trai Turner is past his prime, but his prime was good enough that he can still be an effective player even if his play has dipped.  He made 5 straight pro bowls between 2015 and 2019.  5 straight.   Norwell's prime was quite as good, but he was a top 10 to 15 or so guard in the league for three of four seasons.   

26 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Trai Turner is past his prime, but his prime was good enough that he can still be an effective player even if his play has dipped.  He made 5 straight pro bowls between 2015 and 2019.  5 straight.   Norwell's prime was quite as good, but he was a top 10 to 15 or so guard in the league for three of four seasons.   

I think it's also worth noting that both of them know the system and worked with Masko previously when they were in their primes.  

And I'm not entirely sure they aren't both still physically capable of being what they were in the past.  OL men can last well into their 30's and play at a really high level.

I'm not suggesting either will be peak Scherff.  But peak Scherff was expensive and elusive due to availability.  I do think both could be the same as Flowers, however.  Flowers was good, but he wasn't great.  The proof of that is he still doesn't have a job.  If he was really that good, he would have been picked up by now.  

Don Warren who was a scout for this team until recently on Keim's podcast.

A.  In his 17 years of scouting he thinks this is the best 1-5 TE depth he's ever seen among his teams.  He thinks Bates is special as a blocker.  Cole Turner's hands and catch radius will make him a good TE -- to his eyes he looked even better here than when he scouted his Nevada tape.  He thinks Hodges has good potential -- can catch and block.

B.  Really high from what he's seen from Dotson in camp.  He thinks highly about this offense's potential.  

C.  Predicts 10-7 with the question marks on the team on the defense, specifically depth at S, LB, CB.  Said William Jackson didn't measure up last year, expects him to be better this year.

D.  Doesn't seem optimistic at Chase Rouillier's recovery, he said he looks behind for example Logan Thomas' recovery so he sees him as a question mark.

E.  He scouted Wentz some, he's high on him.  He thinks Indy's O line is overrated, great run blockers but not good pass blockers. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 7/24/2022 at 6:27 AM, Thinking Skins said:

Chris Paul is one of my sleepers right  now. I also like Danny White and I'm curious to who will become the training camp crush like Jimmy Moreland a few years ago. We have a lot of injries from last year and some others are sure to arise in camp so I want to see which UDFA Rookie takes over and becomes a fan favorite . Wouldn't surprise me if a UDFA TE has fans excited. 

The reason I think we can afford to be optimistic about Chris Paul is that our OL coaching is the strength of our staff. If anyone can develop a late round player, it is our OL coaches. 

That said, I'd temper expectations on him this year. From what I've heard on Keim's pod, among other sources, is that he is very raw. I just hope we don't try and stash him on the PS just to see some time pluck him from us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We use to have 40 people blasting news and tweets left and right on this forum. What the hell happened? TK stop paying everyone? 

13 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

TC hasn’t started yet 🤷‍♂️

I don't want EXCUSES, I want TWEETS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

When is the first practice?

Wednesday. Players report tomorrow for conditioning, and Rivers’s press conference should be around 4, going off past years 

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's buffalo nickle ****. 93d

Hardy. Har. Har. 

Sarcastic No Way GIF by The Human Tackboard

• Haha 1