Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, DWinzit said:

I am still reeling a little from the idea Roullier can play again

Spent so much time on OL and worrying about G's that can play C....and just C's 

Keim seems to think they still might release him, but he hasn't spoken about it recently.  It's good that he's back in form.  But in their shoes, the medicals on him for obvious reasons are big as to determining his future.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim seems to think they still might release him, but he hasn't spoken about it recently.  It's good that he's back in form.  But in their shoes, the medicals on him for obvious reasons are big as to determining his future.  

I still think we would be open to a Center/Guard later in the draft to develop to replace Roullier eventually. But if the team thinks Roullier could start/play in 2023 it really does solidify the OL. Leno - Gates - Roullier - Cosmi - Wylie. Not great, but better than last year. It still lends us to draft an OT because Wylie could always kick to Guard and we need to find a long-term solution to LT. 

I would much prefer an OL of Leno - Wylie - Roullier - Cosmi - Wright ... with Paul/Charles/Gates/Lucas as the backup options. Wright could flip to LT in 2024 and you could figure out RT next year (and always have Wylie flip back to RT and start Gates or Paul at LG and whoever you get in the 3rd or 4th replace Roullier if he becomes a cap casualty along with Leno. 

Not to mention, if Howell is NOT the answer, we are likely looking to trade draft capital next year and the following year to move up for a QB, which would take away future premier draft capital to address LT. I would love to get someone this year who can kick to LT beyond 2023. 

We have so much $$ available next year for free agents/re-signs that I am really not that concerned about the DE situation. Of course we could trade one of them in the draft and that changes things a bit in the 2023 outlook of who we could draft, but it makes us even more nimble in 2024 since you'd be only looking to extend/sign one of your premier DEs after 2023. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough call. Center is going to play a huge role with a young QB going into his first full year. Really need to have that position locked down. Chase would be ideal...the injury scares me though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That was totally my thought but shocked he is working without a brace

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Tough call. Center is going to play a huge role with a young QB going into his first full year. Really need to have that position locked down. Chase would be ideal...the injury scares me though.

Chase is ideal for sure if he's healthy. But if the backup to Roullier is Gates at Center, we could do a lot worse. And Gates could easily slide to Center if we draft a RT in Wright or Harrison since that would presumably kick Wylie to LG. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Definitely on a different page here. Robinson is your guy. Gibson is a guy who should be moved around a lot. An RB when you have so many more pressing needs on day two doesn't feel right. We know they need OL,CB and either LB or a rookie Edge. or...another dip in the CB/OL pool and really attack your biggest weaknesses.

The 2nd day # two pick is practically a 4th round pick.  I mentioned that one and their 4th rounder.  Those aren't premium picks,

But regardless, I am not a draft to need guy.    Late third-4th round in particular is a sweet spot for some postions including RB -- but as far as I am concerned they can pick ANY position, especially in that range of the draft where the average player taken statistically speaking is a bust.  Take the best player on your board within reason.

The insiders who cover this team get the vibe from the FO that they will take a RB in this draft.   But again, i am not shopping for need especially in that range in the draft -- it could be a RB, S, Edge, whatever.   But yeah if its a RB take one.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

It pains me to admit this but Chase is a husk of what he once was. Hr gets engulfed and controlled by even average OTs nowadays. 

I think the combo patellar tendon/acl injury has robbed him of his ungodly explosion and quickness and I honestly don't think that he'll ever get it back.

I am so tired of reading this.  He was manhandled by NFL tackles long before the injury.  It was clear as early as the playoff loss to Tampa Bay that he just can't get to the QB.  9 sacks in 25 games prior to the injury kind of proves that, this was not was we were expecting on draft day. 

I am no expert but from what I saw he was pretty much the exact same player after the injury as he was before.  I saw no evidence that the injury took away much.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The 2nd day # two pick is practically a 4th round pick.  I mentioned that one and their 4th rounder.  Those aren't premium picks,

I need a 3rd rounder to get meaningful reps beyond special team reps. Even if it's a 3rd round comp pick. You're still going before the 4th round starts before a lot of team. The WalterFootball guys have Washington talking Bama CB Eli Ricks there. I dig that. 6'2 CB. They have us taking a OL in the 2nd and another CB in the 1st. I'd be cool with that. Though Forbes at 16 feels high.

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Is Forbes the 2023 version of Fred Smoot?

About the same size. Smoot was a nice pick in the 2nd round. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I need a 3rd rounder to get meaningful reps beyond special team reps. Even if it's a 3rd round comp pick. You're still going before the 4th round starts before a lot of team. The WalterFootball guys have Washington talking Bama CB Eli Ricks there. I dig that. 6'2 CB. They have us taking a OL in the 2nd and another CB in the 1st. I'd be cool with that. Though Forbes at 16 feels high.

I've talked about Ricks before,  Not sure I'd dig it with his past injury issues and supposed character concerns.

RBs get hurt, rare for them not.   The odds for your RB #3 to get good reps is pretty good.  But the larger point for me is I am not all about 2023 or bust.  Gibson is a FA next year,  Build a championship roster, stack great players.   Don't draft to need especially in the rounds where the odds are better you will get a bust than a hit.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

FOs that are in must win situations don't typically make moves like that, for obvious reasons.

I’m really tired of this narrative. Ron has done absolutely ZERO to prove this narrative to be true.

Every decision (whether right or wrong) has been with the long term health of the organization in mind. (Don’t parse the **** out of this…with “but Wentz!”, blah blah blah. 😆)

To me, assuming that Rivera will make decisions based on whether he will be fired after the season is a direct shot at the man’s character. 

You can question his coaching ability all you’d like, but the man’s character is above questioning in my opinion. He’s more than earned that. 

I don’t expect this draft to be any different. And I think in Ron’s mind, he has to do two things to keep his job. Win, continue to build a solid roster, and do both with impeccable integrity. (That might be three things. 😆)

Excited for the draft. We’re due for a HOF pick. Maybe tonight is the night. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I am so tired of reading this.  He was manhandled by NFL tackles long before the injury.  It was clear as early as the playoff loss to Tampa Bay that he just can't get to the QB.  9 sacks in 25 games prior to the injury kind of proves that, this was not was we were expecting on draft day. 

I am no expert but from what I saw he was pretty much the exact same player after the injury as he was before.  I saw no evidence that the injury took away much.  

Can't agree less with you here DGF, but I respect your opinion nonetheless.

Here are my observations fwiw.

First I by no means am suggesting that even during his very good not great rookie  Chase Young was ever an elite DE. He was a very good DE who occasionally flashed the potential to be great but he never worked on technique and relief in superior physical ability-- an ability he no longer posseses.

I recently spent some time watching rookie year Chase Young vs last year Chase Young games on my NFL subdciption and the difference is inescapable.

During his rookie year Chase was often the first lineman, not just defensive lineman mind you, but the first lineman to explode out of his stance as the ball was snapped.

This ungodly explosion, along with his ability to accelerate faster than a man his size should be able to while turning the edge put most average offensive tackles into a catch-up position off the bat as Chase often beat him to the edge. The better tackles, however, were far more effective in neutralizing Chase's one tricky pony-attack. 

Chase could occasionally dominate average OTs using his incredible quickness and change of direction particularly on outside rushes.

That is no longer the case. Last season he was incredibly slow off the ball, and indecisive. Now even mediocre tackles have little trouble engulfing, containing, and redirecting him whereas pre-injury only elite tackles managed to regularly neutralize him. 

I guess we'll just have to disagree.

First I by no means am suggesting that even during his very good not great rookie  Chase Young was ever an elite DE. He was a very good DE who occasionally flashed the potential to be great but he never worked on technique and relief in superior physical ability-- an ability he no longer posseses.

I recently spent some time watching rookie year Chase Young vs last year Chase Young games on my NFL subdciption and the difference is inescapable.

During his rookie year Chase was often the first lineman, not just defensive lineman mind you, but the first lineman to explode out of his stance as the ball was snapped.

This ungodly explosion, along with his ability to accelerate faster than a man his size should be able to while turning the edge put most average offensive tackles into a catch-up position off the bat as Chase often beat him to the edge. The better tackles, however, were far more effective in neutralizing Chase's one tricky pony-attack. 

Chase could occasionally dominate average OTs using his incredible quickness and change of direction particularly on outside rushes.

That is no longer the case. Last season he was incredibly slow off the ball, and indecisive. Now even mediocre tackles have little trouble engulfing, containing, and redirecting him whereas pre-injury only elite tackles managed to regularly neutralize him. 

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Weeks back I posted that Dallas could end up with Branch and someone replied on here saying Kincaid was there known as their #1 target.....

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

damn, these people that disagree and repeat their stance over and over again :)

9 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

About the same size. Smoot was a nice pick in the 2nd round. 

In that situation, surely we shouldn’t expect that 3rd round corner to be better than 5th on the depth chart?  Seems like a change of pace back likely sees a lot more snaps than that corner.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind going corner over rb in the 3rd… I just disagree with the premise they’d take more snaps (though anything’s possible).

A lot of smoke now with Forbes. I think he’s our trade down target if the OTs we like aren’t there.

I really think we are going to end up getting Skoronski. I think he slides. Call me crazy, and feel free to make fun of me if it doesn’t happen, but if it does, I want the credit. 

Teams care about arm length and projectable traits at OT. If you aren’t sure he has the foot speed, length, or athleticism to stay at OT, do you really want to spend a top 15 pick on moving him to guard? Does he have the raw power to excel at guard in certain schemes?

I would love the pick because I put him at LG and let him run with it. As he gets more experience, see if he can take over at OT next year.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've talked about Ricks before,  Not sure I'd dig it with his past injury issues and supposed character concerns.

RBs get hurt, rare for them not.   The odds for your RB #3 to get good reps is pretty good.  But the larger point for me is I am not all about 2023 or bust.  Gibson is a FA next year,  Build a championship roster, stack great players.   Don't draft to need especially in the rounds where the odds are better you will get a bust than a hit.

Nah. RBs have the shortest careers and take the hardest beatings.and elite guys get hurt too. Your 3rd RB will be on the field a lot less than even your 4th CB. Taking a RB in rounds 4 and after in most years? Yeah. go for it. if the make the team and play teams. That's a value pick for a contributor. Or, Improve your OL more and find your Alfred Morris on Saturday.