Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is a need for sure that can easily be filled later in the draft. Despite being a WR in college Gibson has not shown that he can do this all that well. 

I don't know.....Gibby snatched that ball off the carpet last year with 0 effort. Not sure what game it was but it was a great snag.

I don't know if SackSEER from FootballOutsiders has already been posted here, but it's interesting this year. Thinks the Edge class as a whole is underwhelming in terms of top end talent (this is becoming a more common thought).

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2023/sackseer-2023-tyree-wilson-overrated

36 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The only player I can see teams trading up for in our range is JSN (and Lombardi says GB is hot for him at 13).  Otherwise, the depth at CBs make it unlikely anyone trades up for them.  We'll take any of the top OL (if they are on the board) for ourselves at 16.  

Yeah, I agree. If one of the top QBs or OTs slide we would very likely be interested ourselves. CBs depth is too strong, likely no one trading up for a RB or TE in the first round in this day and age. JSN would be one of the few players where it could make sense.

But I also think that we would not get great value back in a trade down, so we'll likely stay at 16.

• Like 1

Feels like (I could be wrong) we haven’t talked much about adding a guy for kick/punt returns….

In terms of trading back, I could see something like dropping just a handful of spots (trading with MIN or BAL), swapping 3rds (that comp pick is awfully late), and picking up a mid-round pick next year.  Value likely wouldn’t favor us, but I have the sense there won’t be a must-have at 16, and some of those teams behind us are probably loathe to give up picks… especially teams that are already short on picks.  Also wouldn’t be surprised if we do that kind of trade more than once.

Again, value might suck, but I’m betting we have a bunch of guys all grouped together, so getting even just a little something to move back would be enticing.

Both Breese and McDonald could be there at #16, and I think we could trade back with either New Orleans or KC with the previous trade back history and the relationship Rivera has with Andy Reid in KC

1 minute ago, actorguy1 said:

I am resigned to the fact that a trade down would be for modest gain. The important thing is getting at least one more pick in the top 100. Trading down in the first would hopefully net us at least a 3rd.

Probably depends on how the draft board falls. If Anthony Richardson is there at #16 we could get a bigger haul. If KC wants to come up for a pass-rusher ... we could get 31/63 and some of their late round capital. I think the trade chart value would be a 1-2-3 from KC but we could do 1-2-5-5 or something like that.

New Orleans is interesting with 29 and 40. 

I think we could move to the back of the 1st and ... if we don't get a 2nd in return, we could be looking at a 3, 5 and a future pick, which I think I would be okay with.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Returner could be filled with a pick like Jahmyr Gibbs or Devon Achane who fill multiple roles

This is what I was thinking as well - a back that can handle returns (and give us depth/contribute as a runner/receiver) vs a receiver.

Random thought - Draftek has 7th rounders valued at 1 point.  Given this team’s publicity problems, facility issues, the fact we might change regimes, etc., and the resulting (presumed) difficulty in landing UDFAs to some extent, it seems to me that stockpiling 7ths to get ahead of UDFA is a smart way to go.

Edited by skinny21

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

This is what I was thinking as well - a back that can handle returns (and give us depth/contribute as a runner/receiver) vs a receiver.

Yes makes sense for sure. There are also a number of later round guys that aren't as dynamic all around or better just a returner, some RB's some WR's. A coouple off the top of my head are Tyler Scott, Darius Davis and Trey Palmer but there are a bunch...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Wonder when @Going Commandois due for release from the cooler. I always look forward to one of his rants when we don’t take his guy 

Extending some grace on the matter, Im going to let him out early partly because it wasn't intentional that the temp ban would interfere with him being here the first day of the draft-- that was partly the result of points in his member record from a previous ban.

The software should send him a notification in email.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Extending some grace on the matter, Im going to let him out early partly because it wasn't intentional that the temp ban would interfere with the first day of the draft-- that was partly the result of points in his member record from a previous ban.

I will write something that he will need to respond to so we know he is here.....

@Going CommandoDawand sucks pond scum!!!!

:silly:

Edited by DWinzit
  • Haha 6

Just now, DWinzit said:

Yes makes sense for sure. There are also a number of later round guys that aren't as dynamic all around or better just a returner, some RB's some WR's. A coouple off the top of my head are Tyler Scott, Darius Davis and Trey Palmer but there are a bunch...

Of course (not that you’re saying otherwise), we could stand to improve our receiver depth too, but I’m of the opinion that we need to be taking advantage of the positional depth in the draft.  And I still don’t get the Brycen Tremayne visit - slow, little production, no breakout age, and Pauline’s 34th ranked receiver (in a poor class at that).  For a second I thought maybe they had converting him to TE in mind, but he’s 204lbs… can’t see it. (I do get that they’d want a replacement for Cam Sims at least, and he’s 6’4+)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Extending some grace on the matter, Im going to let him out early partly because it wasn't intentional that the temp ban would interfere with the first day of the draft-- that was partly the result of points in his member record from a previous ban.

I was considering PMing you to be honest. But that’s good to know, appreciate that.

Back to the draft, Eagles and a potential move for Carter. Might have to jump Seattle for that.

@Going Commando if he's back in time.  I predict...

Pounding the table for Dawand Jones (I am with him if his character checks out), Anton Harrison (I am with him on Anton, too), wouldn't love Darnell Wright but could deal with it (I like him a little more)

He'd be cool with the RBs at 16 also good with the pass rushers. 

He would be happy with Gonzalez or Witherspoon but think all the others are a reach at 16 at CB. I am with him on that.

Likes Kincaid and Mayer.  As do I. 

Loves Ojulari in the 2nd round.

Loves Deuce Vaughn later on the draft

Loves Smith-Njigba

Olu in the mid rounds.

He shares my love for Brayden Willis.  

It's sad I spend so much time on this thread, I know or at least I think I do some of the wants of others here more than any other thread. 

I know there is much more than that from him, but that's my best off the top of my head cliff notes.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Didn't see this posted yet so my apologies if it has been posted ... 

JMS, don't put to much trust in this guy.  He is wrong much more than right.  JMO from past post of his. 

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

JMS, don't put to much trust in this guy.  He is wrong much more than right.  JMO from past post of his. 

He's an aggregator ... totally understand. He's just regurgitating what was said elsewhere probably. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2023-nfl-mock-draft-4-0-texans-take-will-anderson-at-no-2-pats-po

Zierlein has us taking Van Ness at #16. Also has some different picks ... Richardson falling to #22 to Ravens ... Tippman at #25 to Giants ... Wright at #9 to the Bears. Jack Campbell #27 to Buffalo ... Bergeron #30 to Philly ...

Seems like this draft is most reflective of what some of us in here project versus the draft media to this point. Especially late in the 1st. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thumb up 1