Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, Est.1974 said:

I’ll end up bloody listing them now :ols:

Kuntz, Gaines, Freeland, Byron Young TENN, Tyler Scott, Eric Gray, from memory they were on my combine list, several of those because they had been talked up pre combine as highly athletic within their position groups.

All that said, I simply hope we draft well. Sounds easy right. If there is a stud there, pick him.

The QB talk does muddy the water somewhat, I’m not pushing for a QB, open minded, but if they are keen on Richardson specifically, I’ll 100% back them taking that risk.

When QBs are dropping 50mil per year now, going all in on a rookie we are really hot on is fine by me.

Cool.

I forgot about you pushing Gaines.  Yeah he would fit my version of this, a player you are higher on than most.   

I recall @Chump Bailey who pushed Freeland a ton, that would fit for him, etc. 

It's not necessary to do of course.  But I like doing it because it makes the draft more fun for me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

If you aren't the smartest QB in the class, how do you step into the NFL and become one of the smartest QBs?

I hope this isn't a real quote. Saying this so close to the draft doesn't help him. But IF THIS IS TRUE. I stress IF... That explains the stock drop. 

I was listening to an interview with him on Sirius NFL radio and he didn’t sound like a smart guy. Fumbling over words, and not able to put a sentence together. It may mean nothing to his overall performance as an NFL QB, but when I heard it I sort of understood why a GM or owner may not have a great feeling about him. He does not sound like a bright guy.

9 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Did a quick my guys list, not a Washington need list. Just my guys

QB Tyson Bagent

RB Roschon Johnson

FB Hunter Luepke

HB Brandon Willis

WR Elijah Higgins

TE Sam Laporta

OT Anton Harrison

OT-G Matt Bergeron

G Tyler Steen

C Luke Wypler

DL Calijan Kancey

Edge Myles Murphy

LB Jack Campbell

LB Ivan Pace

CB I have tons! I am going to put down 2 others won't the tough smurfs T, Hodges-Tomlinson and C Phillips

DB I have tons JL Skinner - should fall due to injury so can grab rounds later than if healthy on draft day

Good list.  You got some who I had to cut.  Anton Harrison. Tyler Steen. 

Luepke is one of my favs, he hit me hard as a player they might like once Bieiniemy came on board -- he'd be a ton of fun at FB.  

Roschon Johnson was my early man crush at RB who I hyped but he was ovetaken in the last week or so for me by Kendre Miller. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cool.

I forgot about you pushing Gaines.  Yeah he would fit my version of this, a player you are higher on than most.   

I recall @Chump Bailey who pushed Freeland a ton, that would fit for him, etc. 

It's not necessary to do of course.  But I like doing it because it makes the draft more fun for me.  

I’ll get my man Diabate in there as well :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good list.  You got some who I had to cut.  Anton Harrison. Tyler Steen. 

Luepke is one of my favs, he hit me hard as a player they might like once Bieiniemy came on board -- he'd be a ton of fun at FB.  

Roschon Johnson was my early man crush at RB who I hyped but he was ovetaken in the last week or so for me by Kendre Miller. 

Thanks. It is so hard with certain positions lol. I do replicate some with you and others but hey, each of us has their own lists! Miller was a fast late riser for me as well and would be a nice piece for EB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My list.  It was painful to do because I could easily add more. And its already a little longer than it should be.  I watched more players I think this year than any other year.  So I have more that I typically like and I feel invested in because of all the time I spent on them.    Last year, I wasted so much time rewatching the QBs before they made the Wentz trade so it threw me off.

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 7.43.23 AM.png

Great list. No real shockers based on all your posts. Like the Forsyth pick, not mentioned a ton here but good player.

I have at least 5 of them on my list and could have added White, Mauch, Stromberg and Martin easily 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’ll get my man Diabate in there as well :) 

Yeah I remember that, too.  I watched hm recently which I posted about, don't love hm against the run but he's fun as a blitzer-pass rusher.  My dark horse LB pick is S. Dennis.

The fun for me is its sort of like picking stocks -- I get a bigger kick out of picking ones that others aren't all touting -- versus the Microsoft-Apples types.

For that reason I almost didn't include Laporta on my list.  I llked him when mocks had him as a 4th-5th rounder type.  I was pretty early on him and he didn't seem that "cool" of a player to tout at that time.  But now he's too cool, over the type hype.  But I couldn't help include him. 

The other one where the draft media got crazy on was Darnell Wright.  I liked him when he was a 2nd-3rd round type prospect.  Now we got some like Louis Reddick saying he's the best player in the draft.  Ridiculous hype and its undeserved IMO.  I still like Wright but I've gone from being higher than the draft media about him to now slightly lower on him than the media -- so in the end i didn't include him because the hype on him just got too nauseating for me.   But I'd still like the pick if they took him. 

Dawnand Jones would be on my list.  But all the character stuff turned me off.  But if they took him i'd be jazzed because it would mean he checked out on that front in their book or they will chance it.

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I like Forbes as a ballhawk. He's one of the best in the class.

Problem is he is 160 pounds. He won't survive in the NFL

I don’t want to draft him at 16, I think there will be a better player there. But I wanted to push back on this definitive statement.

Did Forbes get hurt a lot playing CB in the SEC? Did he show an unwillingness to attack the ball carrier on runs? He’s clearly not on the level of Spoon or some other guys as far as a weapon as a tackler, but he has long arms and seemed solid.

At his pro day he was 170; no reason to think he can’t gain a small amount of weight. He’s 10 pounds less than Witherspoon and almost 2 inches taller.

I understand extra weight in the general sense  helps with making you a bigger target to bring down, gives you more mass to deal with contact, helps insulate from some soft tissue injuries, etc. I just think it’s a bit overblown for a CB. All players get hurt and deal with injuries. The question I would be more concerned with about him, or any player, is Is he tough? Can he play through minor aches, pains, etc. 

Lots of successful players with all sort of different body types, he’s an outlier but I’m not sure it’s a huge deal.

Edited by seantaylor=god
Witherspoon weighs 181.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I was listening to an interview with him on Sirius NFL radio and he didn’t sound like a smart guy. Fumbling over words, and not able to put a sentence together. It may mean nothing to his overall performance as an NFL QB, but when I heard it I sort of understood why a GM or owner may not have a great feeling about him. He does not sound like a bright guy.

Isn’t part of the reason you pay agents big $$ to protect you from yourself?  I know, I know the social media candle that is to the innocent bug, but damn.  

And Ohio St, I know it doesn’t matter to “students” that go there to major in football or their fans but, yeesh.

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

I don’t want to draft him at 16, I think there will be a better player there. But I wanted to push back on this definitive statement.

Did Forbes get hurt a lot playing CB in the SEC? Did he show an unwillingness to attack the ball carrier on runs? He’s clearly not on the level of Spoon or some other guys as far as a weapon as a tackler, but he has long arms and seemed solid.

At his pro day he was 170; no reason to think he can’t gain a small amount of weight. He’s 15 pounds less than Witherspoon and almost 2 inches taller.

I understand extra weight in the general sense  helps with making you a bigger target to bring down, gives you more mass to deal with contact, helps insulate from some soft tissue injuries, etc. I just think it’s a bit overblown for a CB. All players get hurt and deal with injuries. The question I would be more concerned with about him, or any player, is Is he tough? Can he play through minor aches, pains, etc. 

Lots of successful players with all sort of different body types, he’s an outlier but I’m not sure it’s a huge deal.

It's a projection. 

"I think he won't survive in the NFL".

The SEC isn't the NFL, by the way. But betting on a 160lb human to not get hurt routinely in a game with literal giants pulling on screens is a tough projection. 

Happy Real Draft Day ES!

Now, I'm opinionated for sure and I don't like being judgmental but I am looking at PFF's final mock and they have Commanders trading UP to #10 overall for Cam Smith!?!?

Serious WTF moment for me and absolutely one of the dumbest moves I could ever think of.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's a projection. 

"I think he won't survive in the NFL".

The SEC isn't the NFL, by the way. But betting on a 160lb human to not get hurt routinely in a game with literal giants pulling on screens is a tough projection. 

Fair. He’s 170 pounds. You seem to like Witherspoon a lot. Is 11 pounds the difference between “not surviving” and thriving?

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

Fair. He’s 170 pounds. You seem to like Witherspoon a lot. Is 11 pounds the difference between “not surviving” and thriving?

It could be, yes. 

The difference is also that we know Spoon can carry the weight and not lose burst/athleticism. We don't know how Forbes body would react to it.

I'm not down on Forbes as a prospect. I'm down on our strategy of drafting him at 16. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Wonder when @Going Commandois due for release from the cooler. I always look forward to one of his rants when we don’t take his guy :)

I really enjoy  @Going Commandoposts (mod edit--comments on board management go in the feedback forum, not in discussion threads per our rules,) Looking forward to reading his thoughts as well.

• Like 1

My gut feel today is if possible, the trade down 3 times to accumulate selections...hoping at least on goes into next year if they do

To move from that - it is because we have a lot of holes including late rounders like a return man, other ST's, QB3 .....

Shows we just don't have a real strong rounded lineup. Can't wait until we do. Then the team can just move around to get identified players they want or draft for real BPA

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think Witherspoon is a scheme fit for us anyway.

IDK Warhead. Spoon's good enough to fit any scheme IMO. Now, in my initial CB rankings, way back before the testing and all the draft hype, I had him ranked 5th overall with Gonzo, Porter, Cam, and Branch ranked ahead. That was a mistake and a big one. Spoon is worthy of going in the top 10, IMO.

Just now, Chump Bailey said:

IDK Warhead. Spoon's good enough to fit any scheme IMO. Now, in my initial CB rankings, way back before the testing and all the draft hype, I had him ranked 5th overall with Gonzo, Porter, Cam, and Branch ranked ahead. That was a mistake and a big one. Spoon is worthy of going in the top 10, IMO.

I see him going to Vegas at 7. Detroit taking Gonzalez at 6. 

• Like 1