Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Chase for Trey Lance straight up makes too much sense for both teams to ever get done. Both players probably could benefit from a fresh start. 

Ew god no. At least Young has shown he can play when healthy and motivated. Lance is a bum.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Is this the thread for the party tonight? I'm ready!

Feel like we should have a new thread for the actual draft night itself.

What network do y'all watch it on? I'm actually a Pat McAfee stooge. His draft night special is absolutely awesome. He has a guy who does spot on impressions of Mel Kiper and Jay Glazer among others.

• Like 2

McShay.  Seems like Forbes at 16 is the hot name with the national media.  Him and Kincaid.  With Wright and Porteer as runners up.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36297280/2023-nfl-mock-draft-todd-mcshay-final-first-round-predictions-quarterback-picks

13. Green Bay Packers (from NYJ)

Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

Aaron Rodgers was in Green Bay for 18 years, and the Packers didn't use a single first-round pick on a pass-catcher over that time. So of course they'll do it three days after he's traded to the Jets with one of the picks that came back in the deal. Poetic, isn't it? But seriously, if the Packers are going to find success with Jordan Love under center, they have to help him out. Kincaid is a 6-foot-4 target with speed to threaten vertically or pick up yards after the catch. He'd be a huge addition for Love and the Pack after catching 70 passes for 890 yards in 2022.

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

14. New England Patriots

Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

Yes, Skoronski's shorter arm length means he might ultimately kick inside to guard at the next level, but there's no doubting his skill set as both a pass protector and run blocker. The Patriots have two older players at offensive tackle -- Trent Brown (30) and Riley Reiff (34) -- and their quarterback struggled under pressure last season, as Mac Jones turned in the NFL's worst QBR in those situations (4.1). This should be a focus for New England on Day 1, and Skoronski is a plug-and-play starter.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

15. New York Jets (from GB)

Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

Despite moving back two spots in the Aaron Rodgers trade, the Jets can still get him one of the top three tackles as a much-needed boost to the protection. Jones was only a full-time starter for one season at Georgia, but he didn't allow a single sack in 15 starts in 2022. He has the size, length and quickness to solve the Jets' growing issues at tackle and keep their new 39-year-old quarterback upright.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

16. Washington Commanders

Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State

There's a lack of cornerback depth in Washington, and Kendall Fuller is entering the final year of his contract. Forbes is slender at 166 pounds but has really good speed and recognition skills. I thought about Maryland's Deonte Banks or Penn State's Joey Porter Jr., but Forbes makes more sense because the Commanders mix in a lot of zone coverage -- and that's where he really excels. Oh, and after Washington finished 28th in the NFL in interceptions last season with nine, Forbes' 14 career picks (and six pick-sixes) would be welcomed.

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland

The Steelers could try a trade up the board for an offensive tackle, but if they stay home at No. 17 and the top three tackles are gone, I could see a pivot to their other top need. They replaced Cameron Sutton with soon-to-be 33-year-old Patrick Peterson, and they could use more help in the cornerback room. Banks excels in press-zone coverage and does a great job re-routing receivers at the line of scrimmage.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

18. Detroit Lions

Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh

Remember when the Lions allowed 6.2 yards per play last season, by far the worst in the NFL? Well, I liked what they did in free agency on that side of the ball, and using their two first-round picks to continue shoring up the defensive line could be a savvy move. There are questions about where Kancey plays at the next level since he's only 281 pounds, but he has the speed and explosion to be a disruptive presence however Detroit uses him. He had 7.5 sacks last season and can make plays against the run on the interior.

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

This is a team in transition after Tom Brady's retirement, and Tampa Bay has a big hole at right tackle opposite Tristan Wirfs. The best one in the class is Wright, who excels as a run blocker and has the foot quickness to help give Baker Mayfield and/or Kyle Trask time in the pocket. The Buccaneers only allowed 22 sacks last season, fewest in the league, but they also had Brady getting the ball out faster than any other QB. That won't be the case in 2023, and Brandon Walton -- the current starter at right tackle -- has two career starts under his belt, neither of which were on that side.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

20. Seattle Seahawks

Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

Flowers will separate and get behind the defense with his speed, instincts and acceleration. He'd serve as a fantastic third receiver alongside Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf, and if the Seahawks turn to Anthony Richardson (our projected pick at No. 5) down the road, I think you'd see a lot of long TD catches for Flowers. He caught 12 touchdowns at BC last season, and four of them were on passes thrown at least 20 yards downfield.

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

21. Los Angeles Chargers

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

This was a tough one for me because I really don't think he ends up falling this far. Most of my intel says Robinson should go in the first half of Round 1, potentially as high as No. 8 overall. But with the way the board fell here, he's available for the Chargers, whose running back (Austin Ekeler) just requested a trade. Robinson is my No. 2 overall prospect, and he does it all. He's a patient, physical runner with burst. He's an asset in the pass game. He's nearly impossible to tackle in the open field. Robinson in this Los Angeles offense could be a lot of fun.

bal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

22. Baltimore Ravens

Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

The Odell Beckham Jr. signing lightens the need for a receiver a little bit, but I could also see USC's Jordan Addison here. Still, opponents completed 66.4% of passes against the Ravens last season, and there is currently a hole at cornerback opposite Marlon Humphrey. Porter is physical in coverage, and he forced incompletions on 37.9% of passes thrown his way last season, best in the nation.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I want Joey Porter Jr. at 16. 

Did this one the other day. 

Screenshot-20230422-100428-Chrome.jpg

My problem with Porter is that he is more of a man-cover corner and the Commanders run zone primarily, so scheme-fit appears to be a potential issue--especially at 16.

Edited by Wyndorf25

38 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I love the idea of us getting calls. At least it increases our options if we're as open to them as many seem to think.

It would be just like Snyder to want to vet every call we are getting for draft trade options. Someone needs to bolt the door to the war room. Hopefully he's on his yacht somewhere. (Only partially joking)

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

My problem with Porter is that he is more of a man-cover corner and the Commanders run zone primarily, so scheme-fit appears to be a potential issue--especially at 16.

True. However all schemes will likely change when Rivera and company are gone after this year. I think drafting to scheme this year rather than BPA helps no one. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

True. However all schemes will likely change when Rivera and company are gone after this year. I think drafting to scheme this year rather than BPA helps no one. 

You have a good point about the long-term, but I just doubt Rivera and Co. will go that route with pick 16. Don't get me wrong, I think Porter is a talented CB, I guess I was just stating why I thinnk they would or would not draft him there.

• Like 2

Random thought. Jumping to tomorrow or maybe earlish Saturday-- our third round pick which is practically a 4th, if they zero on RB, I can't recall ever be so torn on so many RBs in that range.

I ended up putting Kendre Miller on my guys list.  But it easily could also have been Bigsby, Spears, McBride.   All 4 of those RBs IMO would be great picks. 

I'd put R. Johnson on that list but i think he's too close to Brian Robinson for them to go with him.   Not too far behind those 4 RBs for me are Abanikinda, Evans, Mcintosh, Vaughn, Chase Brown.

That third tier group of RB, S, and TE and DE have so many players that are so close to each other ability wise.  I don't recall having that vibe in other drafts.  The safeties aren't hot but there are bunch IMO with similar ability -- 8 of them give or take.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Random thought. Jumping to tomorrow or maybe earlish Saturday-- our third round pick which is practically a 4th, if they zero on RB, I can't recall ever be so torn on so many RBs in that range.

I ended up putting Kendre Miller on my guys list.  But it easily could also have been Bigsby, Spears, McBride.   All 4 of those RBs IMO would be great picks. 

I'd put R. Johnson on that list but i think he's too close to Brian Robinson for them to go with him.   Not too far behind those 4 RBs for me are Abanikinda, Evans, Mcintosh, Vaughn, Chase Brown.

That third tier group of RB, S, and TE and DE have so many players that are so close to each other ability wise.  I don't recall having that vibe in other drafts.  The safeties aren't hot but there are bunch IMO with similar ability -- 8 of them give or take.

If you don't take an OL in the 1st or even 2nd. You probably really need to in the 3rd. ****, even if you do take one tonight or in the 2nd, OL isn't a bad idea. Same with CB. An RB before Saturday feels meh unless they love Robinson at 16 and he's there.

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What network do y'all watch it on? I'm actually a Pat McAfee stooge. His draft night special is absolutely awesome. He has a guy who does spot on impressions of Mel Kiper and Jay Glazer among others.

I'll watch McAfee tomorrow morning. NFL Network tonight. 

• Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I love Johnson. he would be a great fit with what we do here as well. My others likes would be Spears, Miller and Abinikinda. All of those guys would help this team IMO.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'll watch McAfee tomorrow morning. NFL Network tonight. 

I was on YouTubeTV for football season (loved it) but cut the month to month after the SB. Really don't watch live TV outside of NFL. 

I do have the XFinity streambox thing that I think picks up most free networks, so I assume I can watch on ABC tonight. But is McAfee just streaming on Youtube? That might be the more fun watch tbh.

11 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

If you don't take an OL in the 1st or even 2nd. You probably really need to in the 3rd. ****, even if you do take one tonight or in the 2nd, OL isn't a bad idea. Same with CB. An RB before Saturday feels meh unless they love Robinson at 16 and he's there.

I think the odds are pretty low that they are fishing for an O lineman for the first time in the draft in the third round -- especially with our third which is so late that its practically a 4th round pick.   

Our late third round pick or 4th feels around the right spot IMO to get one of these RBs.  But ideally they trade down and like last year they have another pick in the third round, so they have two. 

• Like 3

Zero idea what the value on a Sweat or Young trade would be. Is there ANY chance we get a 1st? Frank Clark went to the Chiefs several years ago for a Late 1st round pick. (Clark is still a FA I think).

I was thinking a 2+3 or a 2+4, but I wonder if somoene like KC would pony up pick #31. Doubt it, but that would be sweet.

*Edit: From March 31 ... NO idea who Sportsnaut is but they put out 4 scenarios for Montez Sweat and ... https://sportsnaut.com/montez-sweat-trade-scenarios-washington-commanders/

Scenario 1: Trade Sweat to KC for #31 and a 2024 3rd round pick

Scenario 2: Trade Sweat to Arizona for #34, #105 and a 2024 2nd round pick

Scenario 3: Trade Sweat to Chicago for #61 2024 1st

Scenario 4: Trade Sweat to Houston for #33 and #73

Those are all way more than I would ever expect. I have to do more digging

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

Having sweat gives us a little bit of that used car salesman leverage in trade talks.

Yes we'd like that corvette over there with the rebuilt engine.

that'll be one first round pick.

No that's too much.

Oh well let me show you this beautiful camaro we have over here.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I was on YouTubeTV for football season (loved it) but cut the month to month after the SB. Really don't watch live TV outside of NFL. 

I do have the XFinity streambox thing that I think picks up most free networks, so I assume I can watch on ABC tonight. But is McAfee just streaming on Youtube? That might be the more fun watch tbh.

Yup.

He will be way ahead of the actual picks. So I prefer to watch the main networks on draft night because they know way before it's actually announced. And I don't want to spoil the people following along. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I have two tvs in the room, I can watch it all at the same time! However, yes, I vote new thread for the draft.

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I love Johnson. he would be a great fit with what we do here as well. My others likes would be Spears, Miller and Abinikinda. All of those guys would help this team IMO.

When I was looking for my version of Dameon Pierce who I loved last year, I liked Brian Robinson too, but preferred Pierce by a little -- and I landed on Roschon Johnson awhile ago.  But as I've watched other backs, hard for me to see it with him here, because so many backs in this class would bring a change of pace from Robinson stylistically. 

But will see. Roschon strikes me so in that Brian Robinson mode -- plus I've read that Bieiniemy wants to add speed.  That i am assuming they want to go in another flavor to complement Robinson versus doubling down on that power style.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Scenario 1: Trade Sweat to KC for #31 and a 2024 3rd round pick

Scenario 2: Trade Sweat to Arizona for #34, #105 and a 2024 2nd round pick

Scenario 3: Trade Sweat to Chicago for #61 2024 1st

Scenario 4: Trade Sweat to Houston for #33 and #73

So I think I would take ... in order ... Houston ... Arizona ... Chicago ... KC

Houston gets you an early 2 and early 3 which could be used immediately. 

Arizona gets you an early 2, a 4 and a future 2

Chicago MIGHT leapfrog for me here, getting a 2 and a future 1st would be massive

KC would still be sweet, would love a late 1st and a future mid rounder

For me I got NFL Network on but will switch to ESPN when Kiper is on.

Kiper and McShay like all these guys are hit and miss as draft analyists.  But I find both very entertaining.  And I've listened to all of their podcasts during the draft season, so I got a feel for how they think, and its fun for me to watch them double down on their takes during the actual draft.

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

When I was looking for my version of Dameon Pierce who I loved last year, I liked Brian Robinson too, but preferred Pierce by a little -- and I landed on Roschon Johnson awhile ago.  But as I've watched other backs, hard for me to see it with him here, because so many would bring a change of pace from Robinson stylistically. 

But will see. Roschon strikes me so in that Brian Robinson mode -- plus I've read that Bieiniemy wants to add speed.  That i am assuming they want to go in another flavor to complement Robinson versus doubling down on it.  

Roschon, that's one of my guys!

But I agree we may be going more speed/receiver type

You listed a good group, still think Achane and Spears fit best, like a lesser Chase Brown, Evans, Vaughn player

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me I got NFL Network on but will switch to ESPN when Kiper is on.

Kiper and McShay like all these guys are hit and miss as draft analyists.  But I find both very entertaining.  And I've listened to all of their podcasts during the draft season, so I got a feel for how they think, and its fun for me to watch them double down on their takes during the actual draft.

I record ESPN and watch NFLN. I will watch ESPN tomorrow. Plus I am real close to breaking out the Chivas 18 here in a couple of hours. So I wont remember much anyways. Hell I will probably wake up in morning and have no clue who we drafted in all honesty.

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 3

Another nugget from Bleacher Report from earlier in the month ... the trade value of flipping 16 for 7 would equate to #40 pick. Also getting #38 from Raiders in this deal. So we would send Sweat + #16 to Raiders for #7 + #38 ... the equivalent of #38 and #40 ... two early 2's.

Again, just trying to find examples of Sweat value from outside of the building. Lot of hypotheticals out there. And they all seem to be way more than what I was expecting to see.

I saw another one on that suggested Washington could trade BOTH Sweat AND Young to the Seahawks for #5, #37, #52. Nuts

Alex Ballentine of Bleacher Report floated a “splash” trade idea that would send Washington Commanders defensive end Montez Sweat to Las Vegas. The Raiders would swap the No. 7 pick for Washington’s No. 16 pick and send them a second-round pick:

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins