Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I record ESPN and watch NFLN. I will watch ESPN tomorrow. Plus I am real close to breaking out the Chivas 18 here in a couple of hours. So I wont remember much anyways. Hell I will probably wake up in morning and have no clue who we drafted in all honesty.

I have a bottle of Wellers I got for Xmas that I haven't opened. I rarely drink bourbon, but tonight might be a good occasion.

Here's a second reference (Diff article) to the exact same Bears trade as Sportsnaut ... 

What could a trade between the Bears and Commanders look like? A suggested offer would be Chicago sending the No. 61 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft and a first-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. A stipulation could be added that the lesser between theirs and the Panthers’ selection would head to the Commanders in the deal.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Alex Ballentine of Bleacher Report floated a “splash” trade idea that would send Washington Commanders defensive end Montez Sweat to Las Vegas. The Raiders would swap the No. 7 pick for Washington’s No. 16 pick and send them a second-round pick:

Back in the day we traded back up in 2019 to #26 and selected Sweat to jump the Raiders at pick #27 from taking him.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I have a bottle of Wellers I got for Xmas that I haven't opened. I rarely drink bourbon, but tonight might be a good occasion.

Here's a second reference (Diff article) to the exact same Bears trade as Sportsnaut ... 

What could a trade between the Bears and Commanders look like? A suggested offer would be Chicago sending the No. 61 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft and a first-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. A stipulation could be added that the lesser between theirs and the Panthers’ selection would head to the Commanders in the deal.

This would once again bring in the question relative to this staffs future here. I have a hard time seeing them wanting any future years picks (at lease not any high round picks that take away from this years draft).

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the odds are pretty low that they are fishing for an O lineman for the first time in the draft in the third round -- especially with our third which is so late that its practically a 4th round pick.   

Our late third round pick or 4th feels around the right spot IMO to get one of these RBs.  But ideally they trade down and like last year they have another pick in the third round, so they have two. 

Definitely on a different page here. Robinson is your guy. Gibson is a guy who should be moved around a lot. An RB when you have so many more pressing needs on day two doesn't feel right. We know they need OL,CB and either LB or a rookie Edge. or...another dip in the CB/OL pool and really attack your biggest weaknesses.

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

That would be great. Would love to add a 2024 pick from Chicago, whether its theres or Carolina's. Both should be fairly high picks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Back in the day we traded back up in 2019 to #26 and selected Sweat to jump the Raiders at pick #27 from taking him.

That trade would be pretty nice for us. Idk if you would then want to use #7 to get back draft capital or then use that pick on CB or OT. You could conceivably get Paris Johnson there. Assume Gonzalez would be gone to Lions at #6. You'd be positioned to go QB, but idk if we'd do that. For a "win now" front office, having picks #7, #38 and #47 would be pretty enticing. Taking Paris Johnson at #7 then going Edge, CB at 38 and 47 would be pretty sweet. Of course, they could then just use #7 on the best DE. Who knows.

31 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Roschon, that's one of my guys!

But I agree we may be going more speed/receiver type

You listed a good group, still think Achane and Spears fit best, like a lesser Chase Brown, Evans, Vaughn player

I like Achane a lot, took him in the board's mock for the Jets.  But I think he's gone by their late third and I doubt they take a RB in the top 2 rounds.  So I've been ignoring the top 4 -- Robinson, Gibbs, Charbonnet and Achane.  I love all 4 though.

Roschon would fit one of my early guys :ols:  not as early though as Stromberg, Pace, DJ Turner.  But I bailed on Roschon, so he didn't make my list, not because I don't like him but I focused on better fits to what I believe they are looking for. 

Kendre Miller, Spears, Bigsby, McBride would be a blast IMO.  

Abanikanda would be fun, too.  But two things I don't dig about him.  1.  He has a hard time breaking tackles at the line of scrimmage if the defense penetrates.  2.  McGinn's scouts, said he's not the brightest dude and isn't a hard worker. 

Chase Brown I like except his speed is so straight line.

Spears and Bigsby have that Barry Sanders style stop and go, zig and zag in their running.  And I love RBs like that.

Gibbs is a great player in part because his foot speed is wicked.  Kendre Miller and Gibbs are diffferent type players.  But they have two traits in common IMO.  Miller isn't as quick as Gibbs but IMO he has some wicked fast feet, too.   And like Gibbs he accelerates so fast when he finds some daylight. 

Kendre Miller and Quan Martin are my biggest draft crushs that hit me later in the process. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Could accumulating picks for 2024, especially a 1st if possible, endure this FO to the potential new owners?  

Probably overthinking it. New ownership is likely to want a new group in regardless.

I am, however, having way too much fun with the Raiders trade scenario in these mock simulators. My god.

Traded #7 to Eagles so they could take Jalen Carter. Also sent #97 but got back #10 and #30. Paris Johnson, Dalton Kincaid, Emmanuel Forbes and JMS were my first 4 picks. Then just drafted like 3 DEs in 4-5-6 haha

@Skinsinparadise, really liking on Miller and that was a nice clip! I like him someplace right after Spears (who was one of my earliest crushed along with Campbell and Joey Porter)

Speaking of crushes, one I have that would have a fun toy for JDR to figure how to use Calijah Kancey. Would be great fun pick that will never occur

• Like 1

Listened to Standig, he mentioned they are into Wright and Forbes.  In a trade down -- pass rushers might be in play.

Keim is typically much better with inside info.  But Standig is not bad.

I don't mind Forbes in the first but late first, not 16.  lol, but it would fit a theme with this FO, they like to take players who are late first-early 2nd round players to the draft media -- much earlier. 

i liked Jamin Davis but he's not who I wanted at 19 -- he felt like an early 2nd rounder to me.  I liked Dotson a lot -- 16 was a bit early but I understood.

Forbes would be pushing that theory a bit too hard for me.   I understand the logic behind it.  Their secondary doesn't do turnovers and Forbes majors in them.   Also he's a zone corner, plays off coverage with his eyes on the QB who can likely take advantage of a big time pass rush where the QB tries to get rid of the ball fast. 

The pick he had against Levis where Levis tried to dump off a quick screen, he knew it was coming and timed the route, made the pick and took it to the house.  I can see Rivera watching that play and thinking wow that's exactly what this defense needs.  And Rivera is right in that context. 

But the dude at 160 and change pounds will likely get run over in the NFL.  Imagine him against physical receivers like Cedee Lamb and Aj Brown?  If that's what they do, IMO they better have a plan to help him put on 15 pounds.   His legs are even skinnier than Devonta Smith.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Standig, he mentioned they are into Wright and Forbes.  In a trade down -- pass rushers might be in play.

Keim is typically much better with inside info.  But Standig is not bad.

I don't mind Forbes in the first but late first, not 16.  lol, but it would fit a theme with this FO, they like to take players who are late first-early 2nd round players to the draft media -- much earlier. 

i liked Jamin Davis but he's not who I wanted at 19 -- he felt like an early 2nd rounder to me.  I liked Dotson a lot -- 16 was a bit early but I understood.

Forbes would be pushing that theory a bit too hard for me.   I understand the logic behind it.  Their secondary doesn't do turnovers and Forbes majors in them.   Also he's a zone corner, plays off coverage with his eyes on the QB who can likely take advantage of a big time pass rush where the QB tries to get rid of the ball fast. 

The pick he had against Levis where Levis tried to dump off a quick screen, he knew it was coming and timed the route, made the pick and took it to the house.  I can see Rivera watching that play and thinking wow that's exactly what this defense needs.  And Rivera is right in that context. 

But the dude at 160 and change pounds will likely get run over in the NFL.  Imagine him against physical receivers like Cedee Lamb and Aj Brown?  If that's what they do, IMO they better have a plan to help him put on 15 pounds.   His legs are even skinnier than Devonta Smith.

Neither player is total shocker based on their announced needs of OT and CB then Edge.

And of course this is assuming the usual's are not available at 16

I have Forbes as CB 5 due to his physical limitations.

I have Wright as T 3 and ranked higher so he'd be my pick if it had to be one of them. 

I really both in the 20's though

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Lombardi says Arizona is desperate to move down from 3, but if they are stuck, Paris Johnson is the pick in all likelihood.  

Sucks for us ... Would love for the OT run to start later. My gut right now is ... in terms of madhouse trade draft. Hard to remember, but important to remember, that there have been like 2 Top 10 trades in the last 3 drafts. But still, there's a lot of QBs and a lot of uncertainty in this draft, so here goes.

1. Carolina - Bryce Young, QB Bama

2. Houston - Will Anderson, DE Bama

*Trade: Houston sends 12, 33 and Cleveland 2024 1st to Arizona for #3

3. Houston - CJ Stroud, QB Ohio State

4. Indianapolis - Anthony Richardson, QB Florida

*Trade: Philadelphia sends #10 and #30 to Seattle for #5

5. Philadelphia - Jalen Carter, DT Georgia

6. Detroit - Christian Gonzalez

7. Las Vegas - Tyree Wilson, DE Texas Tech

*Trade: Tennessee sends #11 and #41 to Atlanta for #8

8. Tennessee - Will Levis, QB Kentucky

9. Chicago - Paris Johnson, OT Ohio State

10. Seattle - Pete Skoronski, T/G Northwestern

11. Atlanta - Nolan Smith, DE Georgia

12. Arizona - Myles Murphy, DE Clemson

13. Green Bay - Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR Ohio State

14. New England - Devon Witherspoon, CB Illinois

15. NY Jets - Darnell Wright, OT Tennessee

16. Washington - Broderick Jones, OT Georgia

We'll see.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

9 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

@Skinsinparadise is this your basement? Are you locked in the basement and do you require emergency assistance. Thanks for all of the in depth coverage all the time.

giphy.gif

In Florida we don't have basements but lol I am in a metaphorical basement.

My work is very cyclical and i have maybe too much free time these days.   So I am just trying to kill time before the draft.

Speaking of which, I need someone to press my buttons on topics that can kill a good hour for me.  Maybe posts like...

A.  You draft to need -- BPA is a luxury that sounds good in theory but isn't really practical

or

B.  We don't really need a TE because of who we already got in house.

or

C.   @DWinzit gives me a new welcome to the party post on a player I reviewed 5 months ago.  :ols:

or 

D.   Another pass rusher doesn't make sense when you already have 2

• Haha 4