Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched Mingo, i like him too.  Ditto on your encouagement I did watch Charlie Jones and liked him as well.  

I think I tend to have a hankering for players I stumble on by accident without prompting.  Mims just popped whgen I watched Anton Harrison and Gray, then finally I just watched him.  It's how I stumbled on Clayton Tune.  I was watching Nahaniel Dell, and couldn't keep my eyes off on how tough Tune was in the pocket and his mobility was really fun to watch.

Speaking of WRs and Dell.  The draft media loves that dude. He can also return kicks-punts.  Incredibly shifty.  But I've been fooled before by undersized WRs like that -- it usually doesn't translate to the NFL.   But uts not hard to predict that whoever takes Dell -- will be worshipped when that pick is explained by either network.

Dell is coming from such a wide open system, I am not sure he transitions well to the WR position with that and smurf sizing

I agree with @KDawgs guy Jones being a solid mid-round do a lot type of guy. I was not familiar with him until his posting not that long ago....even if you did post on him first ;) 

• Haha 1

I am confused who is reporting they might trade a pass rusher tonight?

Dov?

@KDawg?

or Graziano?

😷 I did take my Effexor today.  I thought 75 mg. was enough.  Maybe I need to up the mgs.  LOL.  M

Edited by RWJ

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

After my "don't like the idea of Hooker for us at 16" post yesterday, Ryan Leaf (who I think has become a great talking head and analyst) made a great counter-case on GMF this morning.

I think Hooker makes some sense for us.

I just don't think that will be the direction we go. 

• Like 2

Didn't see this posted but could alter things....

sorry if I missed it

Jaguars beat reporter John Shipley reports Jaguars LT Cam Robinson is facing a multi-game suspension for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy.

We don't yet know the extent of Robinson's impending suspension, but it sounds like the Jaguars will be without their prized left tackle to start the season. Robinson signed a three-year, $54 million extension with the Jaguars last offseason and appeared in 14 games, allowing 27 pressures and four sacks. The Jaguars lost right tackle Jawaan Taylor to the Chiefs earlier this offseason, which could mean backup left tackle Walker Little will get first dibs to serve as Robinson's replacement. Little started five games for the Jaguars last season, including two playoff games. He allowed 17 pressures and two sacks while earning a PFF pass block grade of 62.7.

15 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Dell is coming from such a wide open system, I am not sure he transitions well to the WR position with that and smurf sizing

I agree with @KDawgs guy Jones being a solid mid-round do a lot type of guy. I was not familiar with him until his posting not that long ago....even if you did post on him first ;) 

lol, @KDawg got me cued up to plenty of players especially Charlie Jones.  Off the top of my head he's cued me to Bergeron, Henley, Campbell, McBride -- all players I dig, probably some others too that aren't hiitting me off the top of my head. 

Probably immature on my end.  :ols:   But there were three players I was never going to relent on being in on them early.  Those were  DJ Turner, Stromberg, Pace.   ;).  For whatever reason they were some of the first I watched for the draft season. 

Only one of those three have really taken off with the draft media over time and that's DJ Turner.  I was sort of early on Strange, Laporta and Wright but not as early as the other three I mentioned. And the draft media is now IMO almost a little too hyped on them, now.   But I'd say Stromberg and Pace are still sort of IMO underplayed by the media.   I bet they both could go in the 4th round range.

I don't think @KDawg have a disagreement on much in this draft, its almost boring.  The big test is Dorian Thompson-Robinson, i like him as a late round flier -- he doesn't.  So the thread might blow up if that happens. :D

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

lol, @KDawg got me cued up to plenty of players especially Charlie Jones.  Off the top of my head he's cued me to Bergeron, Henley, Campbell, McBride -- all players I dig, probably some others too that aren't hiitting me off the top of my head. 

Probably immature on my end.  :ols:   But there were three players I was never going to relent on being in on them early.  Those were  DJ Turner, Stromberg, Pace.   ;).  For whatever reason they were some of the first I watched for the draft season. 

Only one of those three have really taken off with the draft media over time and that's DJ Turner.  I was sort of early on Strange, Laporta and Wright but not as early. And the draft media is now IMO almost a little too hyped on them, now.   But I'd say Stromberg and Pace are still sort of IMO underplayed by the media.   I bet they both could go in the 4th round range.

I don't think @KDawg have a disagreement on much in this draft, its almost boring.  The big test is Dorian Thompson-Robinson, i like him as a late round flier -- he doesn't.  So the thread might blow up if that happens. :D

SIP.....I love you man!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

If there’s a more than decent Edge player available at #16 I really do think KC will be on the phone. Big call for the FO to leave a stud on the board. Mayhew really is a major advocate of trading back isn’t he. 

I love the idea of us getting calls. At least it increases our options if we're as open to them as many seem to think.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

If there’s a more than decent Edge player available at #16 I really do think KC will be on the phone. Big call for the FO to leave a stud on the board. Mayhew really is a major advocate of trading back isn’t he. 

Agree fully....but if it is Murphy, they may mot be able to pull the trade trigger. That wouldn't be the worse thing

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

As an aside, just read a post from CJ Stroud on Facebook regarding his 18% on the S2 (I can't confirm it's real, but here is a quote from it)

"So I'm gonna stand on that. I know what I can do. I know what I can process. If I'm not the smartest quarterback in this draft, I know I'm one of the smartest quarterbacks in the NFL when I step in there tomorrow, So I've got confidence in myself. I don't think you can play at Ohio State and not be smart, so I don't got nothing to prove to nobody."

I googled this to verify and found a couple of bad websites with it up. So still not confirmed. Here's a link to the NY Post: 2023 NFL Draft: CJ Stroud responds to cognitive test rumors (nypost.com)

Now, having said that I can't necessarily confirm it...

What the **** is that quote? Holy ****. Check out the bolded part. What the hell does that mean? 

I would imagine he means that he's gonna put the work in, which is besides the point.

If you look at what the article in the athletic w/the test designers says, the test measures responses that come in single miliseconds, as in, it has nothing to do with intelligence in the way we think of intelligence, the test just measures how quickly some peoples brains can interpret a flash of visual information, kind of spatial awareness style, but it's like being able to read the spin on a baseball thrown 102 miles per hour, it involves skills that are largely "you got them or you don't" variety, from what I can understand. This kind of processing isn't something you can improve by studying your playbook or coverages better, I tend to think its either intuitive, or comes from more than a decade of very hard, very dedicated, repetition w/attention to ridiculous detail. It aint something that can be improved in a summer, or a few offseasons of study. You've got it, or you don't, from what I understand having only read the first few paragraphs of the article before leaving for work. 

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I would imagine he means that he's gonna put the work in, which is besides the point.

If you look at what the article in the athletic w/the test designers says, the test measures responses that come in single miliseconds, as in, it has nothing to do with intelligence in the way we think of intelligence, the test just measures how quickly some peoples brains can interpret a flash of visual information, kind of spatial awareness style, but it's like being able to read the spin on a baseball thrown 102 miles per hour, it involves skills that are largely "you got them or you don't" variety, from what I can understand. This kind of processing isn't something you can improve by studying your playbook or coverages better, I tend to think its either intuitive, or comes from more than a decade of very hard, very dedicated, repetition w/attention to ridiculous detail. It aint something that can be improved in a summer, or a few offseasons of study. You've got it, or you don't, from what I understand having only read the first few paragraphs of the article before leaving for work. 

That is correct. Well, kind of. But it's also not. Pat McAfee had the S2 guy on the show the other day. He explains it. I recommend finding that video.

My post was moreso about what CJ Stroud actually said vs. what the S2 tests. 

Edited by KDawg

What could we even get for Sweat? A 2nd seems rich, but DEs are pretty valuable. Maybe a 2+4?

Even just a 2 would suffice. If we could pair that with trading back from 16 and adding another 2 + 4 that would great. Maybe get 63 and 93 from KC for Sweat?

Trade back with NO to get 29 and 40?

Go into the draft with 29, 40, 47, 63, 93, 97, 118?

Obv. we'd need to grab 1-2 DEs in the draft, and one of these picks would have to be to replace Sweat immediately (so one of the 2's) ... but those 2 moves would give us the picks needed to replace Sweat on the cheap, address most/all of our holes, and also set ourselves up very nicely for 2024 with all that cap space and rookie contracts. 

Another "half these guys wont be here but" draft with a hypothetical Sweat trade:

*Trade Montez Sweat to KC for #63 + #95

*Trade #16 to NYG for #25 + #57

25: Anton Harrison, OT Oklahoma

47: Emmanuel Forbes, CB Miss. State

57: Sam LaPorta, TE Iowa

63: Andre Carter, DE Army (is there a more Ron Rivera pick than this?)

95: Ricky Stromberg, C Arkansas

97: Henry To'o To'o, LB Alabama

118: Christopher Smith II, S Georgia

150: YaYa Diaby, DE Lousville

193: Deuce Vaughn, RB Kansas State

215: Derius Davis, WR/KR TCU

233: Tyson Bagent, QB Shepherd

That's my magnum opus. I think I'm done with mocks until after R1 haha

I do NOT want to trade Sweat!

I would make resigning him early our number one priority. He may not be a top five, tier one, once a decade pass rusher, but he's damn sure the next best thing with tons of upside.

It pains me to admit this but Chase is a husk of what he once was. Hr gets engulfed and controlled by even average OTs nowadays. 

I think the combo patellar tendon/acl injury has robbed him of his ungodly explosion and quickness and I honestly don't think that he'll ever get it back.

He never was much of a hand fighter with good technique so he has nothing to fall back on now that his physical edge is gone.

If you watch him closely on video last season, with a few exceptions,  he struggled jus  to be considered a jag. If there was an outside double team it was always Sweat who the o-line focused on. Chase was one on one every down he played and still couldn't perform.

If anyone offers a 3rd or even heaven forbid something better (perhaps in the '24 draft) you've got to consider whether the money saved getting rid of Chase could be more useful than retaining him.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Chase for Trey Lance straight up makes too much sense for both teams to ever get done. Both players probably could benefit from a fresh start. 

Trey Lance has barely played any football in like 3+ years now. No thanks. Taking him on in what is probably the final year of this staff? Nah. Give me a draft pick and use that pick on a DE if you trade him anywhere.