Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I wouldn't call myself a Freeland guy, but he maintains some intrigue for me.  He can be overpowered and is tall and doesn't sink his hips well enough to maintain good balance.

But those are some freakish athletic numbers, where I don't think its nuts to roll the dice lets say in the late 3rd or 4th.   I mentioned this watching him at the combine, his upper body looked stronger than it did when he played.    For a dude with 34 inch arms, 25 BP reps shows he has some upper body strength. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I don't get why draftniks are so consistently low on Harrison and Dawand.  When scrubby ass tackles with crap film like Kolton Miller go first round and Mekhi Becton went 11th overall and I'm not even sure he knew how to do a pass set in college, what gives?  Especially when the OL class is viewed as being weak. 

I wonder if it's concerns about position and upside? From what I've seen from watching him a bit, and what I've read as well, it appears that Dawand, while certainly athletic for his size, overall has pretty mediocre athleticism. His feet aren't very quick and while he has a great initial punch and an insane wingspan he does seem to struggle to recover if he's beat by a first move or if a guy gets under his pads. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wouldn't call myself a Freeland guy, but he maintains some intrigue for me.  He can be overpowered and is tall and doesn't sink his hips well enough to maintain good balance.

But those are some freakish athletic numbers, where I don't think its nuts to roll the dice lets say in the late 3rd or 4th.   I mentioned this watching him at the combine, his upper body looked stronger than it did when he played.    For a dude with 34 inch arms, 25 BP reps shows he has some upper body strength. 

Some people thought it ridiculous to take him in the 3rd round as I had mentioned.  

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Some people thought it ridiculous to take him in the 3rd round as I had mentioned.  

He's a bit of a wildcard, I get some skepticism about him.  I am skeptical too -- but there is enough upside with him that I get rolling the dice on him.  He is IMO a boom-bust prospect.  There are a bunch of tackles I like better but wouldn't hate it in the late third depending as always who else is there.

While they've met with a ton of tackles, and guards, based on my notes he's not been one of those meetings.

IMO in the boom bust range -- Duncan, Freeland, W. Morris.    Among those guys in the combine they met with Morris but not the other 2.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's a bit of a wildcard, I get some skepticism about him.  I am skeptical too -- but there is enough upside with him that I get rolling the dice on him.  He is IMO a boom-bust prospect.  There are a bunch of tackles I like better but wouldn't hate it in the late third depending as always who else is there.

While they've met with a ton of tackles, and guards, based on my notes he's not been one of those meetings.

IMO in the boom bust range -- Duncan, Freeland, W. Morris.    Among those guys in the combine they met with Morris but not the other 2.

I agree with the boom or bust on him. I could get behind him in the third (our late 3rd is basically a 4th) since he might be BPA. I don’t like that he isn’t position versatile, if he fails at OT he pretty much busts because he does not appear particularly strong and he’s so tall. He’s a basketball player, so he has the lower body explosiveness which made him test well. To me his upside is that he plays a valuable position, and if you squint you could see him as a adequate starting LT. I just see more bust than boom, but late 3rd or 4th? Sure. I bet he goes higher than that though;teams need tackles bad.

OT Post Combine Rankings

1. Paris Johnson

2. Anton Harrison

3. Darnell Wright

4. Dawand Jones

5. Peter Skoronski (Initially quite a bit lower still like him much better inside, you can see the potential but there are more flaws in his game than are being noted, IMO)

6. Mathew Bergeron

7. Blake Freeland (most upside of any OT IMO)

8. Broderick Jones

9. Jaelyn Duncan

10. Wanya Morris

11. Tyler Steen

12. Warren McClendon

13. Ryan Hayes

14. Asim Richards

15. Richard Gouraige

16. Nick Saldiveri

17. Killian Zierer

18. Connor Galvin

19. Earl Bostic Jr.

20.   * Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu * Quinton Barrow *Carter Warren * Trevor Reid * Joey Fisher

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

At this point I think you have noted the entirety of this draft as underrated. :ols:

That's true but I think I've been pretty accurate with Steen, Jordan McFadden, Keanu Benton and Wanya Morris among others. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I want us to trade back a few slots and still be able to get Anton Harrison or Dawand Jones, though I'm starting to doubt Jones makes it past Pittsburgh at 17.  But if both Harrison and Dawand are on the board when we pick at 16, I think I consider moving  down a few slots and hoping one of them is still there when my pick comes up.

Steelers also have the first pick in the second round. Looks like they have 17,32,49

At the very least they’ll be taking the best remaining OL at 32.

23 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Could someone explain what a Top 30 visit is please? I initially thought it was players expected to go in the first round but that is clearly wrong.

Every team is allowed to invite 30 prospects of their choosing in for in depth interviews (including meeting with people from different parts of the organization) and that include physicals.  So teams can choose any 30 players they want including guys  they are interested in during the mid to late rounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A project OT like Freeland makes little sense for this team. This is a team that currently does not have a OL coach and a project like Freeland makes little sense for a coaching staff in a win now year.

I expect them to mirror the lower ceiling higher floor strategy they used last year. A guy like Dawand Jones fits that mold well

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

OL seems like a really bad idea at #16 to me. 

That's  where I  am at as well.

I just went through all the potential LT's again. To me PJJ is the only one capable of playing there this year or maybe next year.  In order to get him they'd need to move up and he isn't that good, he isn't in Trent Williams level

They should hold off and go interior in the 2nd or 3rd (some with RT potential) where there's a lot of good options

20 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Sam Howell needs to be our guy this year.  Rivera and company need to commit to him as their prospect of choice and make it work with him, which means passing on the position in the draft and beefing up the talent around him as much as possible. 

I want us to trade back a few slots and still be able to get Anton Harrison or Dawand Jones, though I'm starting to doubt Jones makes it past Pittsburgh at 17.  But if both Harrison and Dawand are on the board when we pick at 16, I think I consider moving  down a few slots and hoping one of them is still there when my pick comes up.

Then in the second round I'm hoping for an intriguing faller: Michael Mayer, Darnell Washigton, or Kelee Ringo in particular.  If one of them hits 40, I think about moving up.  If none of them are there, I'd probably go with Brents.

If I can come away with Dawand Jones and Darnell Washington in the first and second and then get Deuce Vaughn late, IMO we'd have three rookie contributors and enough around Howell to make a serious run.

Based on my comments above, I could see them taking Mayer or Washington after a trade back at the back half of the first round. Would give immediate assistance on the outside for the tackles. Then go CB/LB and OL while cutting Logan Thomas. We absolutely need to add a good receiving quick RB like a Vaughn

• Like 1

Daniels is among my favorites as to converting from LT to guard.  I hype him every now and then.  To my eyes, his footwork is so smooth, mirrors well and he can move.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/pro-day-news-and-rumors-dalton-kincaid-out-blake-freeland-continues-climb-and-more/

Offensive lineman Braeden Daniels, who had a terrific Combine performance, looked outstanding in position drills. Daniels weighed in at 307 pounds, 13 more than his Combine weight, yet easily moved around the field for what seemed an eternity.

The Saints ran the offensive line drills and tried to break Daniels, but the versatile blocker did not relent. Daniels has been steadily rising up draft boards and has cemented himself as a solid middle-round pick. He met with the New York Jets, Seattle Seahawks, and Baltimore Ravens at Utah’s Pro Day.

12 minutes ago, method man said:

A project OT like Freeland makes little sense for this team. This is a team that currently does not have a OL coach and a project like Freeland makes little sense for a coaching staff in a win now year.

I expect them to mirror the lower ceiling higher floor strategy they used last year. A guy like Dawand Jones fits that mold well

Depends on where he lands in the draft.   Some other people here are higher on him than me.  I am sort of agnostic on Freeland but I get the point for those who want to roll the dice, that was my point.

As for it making no sense, it depends IMO on where he's taken.  He wouldn't be my first shot at an O lineman in this draft by a long shot.  But the deeper you go down the draft, IMO the upside of players become more relevant.

Judging by the meetings they've had with O lineman.  I get the impression that they will take multiple O lineman.  And they are poking around all types -- including players who IMO have some project to them. 

But I agree with the overall point that they are likely going with high floor, older prospect types - guys who they can plug and play especially earlier on in the draft.  I think its a given they go O line in the first or 2nd, borderline given that they trade down if they get a trading partner.

If I had to guess right now, they trade down and end up with either:  Torrence, D. Jones, Harrison or Wright.  Then somewhere in the 3rd-5th round grab a center.  If they add a 3rd and or a 4th in a trade back, they throw another dart at O line. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Depends on where he lands in the draft.   Some other people here are higher on him than me.  I am sort of agnostic on Freeland but I get the point for those who want to roll the dice, that was my point.

As for it making no sense, it depends IMO on where he's taken.  He wouldn't be my first shot at an O lineman in this draft by a long shot.  But the deeper you go down the draft, IMO the upside of players become more relevant.

Judging by the meetings they've had with O lineman.  I get the impression that they will take multiple O lineman.  And they are poking around all types -- including players who IMO have some project to them. 

But I agree with the overall point that they are likely going with high floor, older prospect types - guys who they can plug and play especially earlier on in the draft.  I think its a given they go O line in the first or 2nd, borderline given that they trade down if they get a trading partner.

If I had to guess right now, they trade down and end up with either:  Torrence, D. Jones, Harrison or Wright.  Then somewhere in the 3rd-5th round grab a center.  If they add a 3rd and or a 4th in a trade back, they throw another dart at O line. 

I agree they take 2 linemen. with the premium positions like OT and EDGE, you are getting projects in rd 3. On the other hand, with a non premium position like guard or center, you can potentially get yourself a guy who can step in Day 1 like a Stromberg with the 3rd round comp pick

Dawand Jones in rd 1, Julius Brents in rd 2 and Ricky Stromberg in rd 3 would be a solid haul

Edited by method man
  • Like 1