Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zack-kuntz/32004b55-4e18-4573-2a82-42b17b1995fa

What’s the deal with Zach Kunz from Old Dominion. Looking at these other guys, Kuntz killed the combine. 6’7”, 255 pounds, 34 inch arms and was 1st or 2nd in almost ever combine event. 

edit: I’m probably going to ask stupid questions about stuff that’s already been discussed. I totally checked out on the team but am checking back in because of the impending sale. 

double edit: Watched him on YouTube. Doesn’t look as explosive on tape and isn’t fluid. 

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 1

Just finished watching, Chander Lavala, LG, NC State.  I agree with Brugler, looks like a solid high floor guard.  I have to rewatch a bunch of the guards, but my first impressions on first watch of much of the 2nd tier guard group has been dissapointment, a lot of C plus type players IMO.  This dude IMO is a solid B.  

What was really confusing about watching him (watched 3 games) was in 2 games he didnt play the full game, got replaced by the RG who moved to play his spot, he's number 64, the RG is 54, so that threw me off until I caught on.  I gather he got banged up in those games. 

What i like about him is his consistency.  He sinks his hips well, gets out of his stance quickly, gets low, good balance and his blocking is sound.  Strong hands, good punch, mirrors well.  Sometimes seems to have concentration lapes when he's part of double teams where his eyes wander elsewhere and loses sight of his assignment.

Too bad he wasn't invited to combine because he strikes me fairly athletic, has some speed and agility to my eyes.  i like him better in pass protect than the run game, but decent in the run game, can people move some.  

I'll get to ranking the guards soon.  But he's one that I like, don't love but I do like.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

If D. Jones is there at 16 I think you have to take him.  It's so rare for a guy his size to move the way he does.  But what would that mean about Andrew Wylie?  Aren't we paying him like 8M a year to start at RT?  

Still think the biggest issue on this team is the left side of the o-line, and it absolutely needs to be addressed this draft.  Linebacker depth is a close second. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

If D. Jones is there at 16 I think you have to take him.  It's so rare for a guy his size to move the way he does.  But what would that mean about Andrew Wylie?  Aren't we paying him like 8M a year to start at RT?  

Still think the biggest issue on this team is the left side of the o-line, and it absolutely needs to be addressed this draft.  Linebacker depth is a close second. 

Wylie has played pretty much everywhere but center.  I would pencil him into one of the guard spots if we draft Dawand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Wylie has played pretty much everywhere but center.  I would pencil him into one of the guard spots if we draft Dawand.

Wylie spent the majority of his first three seasons at right and left guard. With his blend of quickness and physicality, he was able to quickly establish himself as one of the Chiefs' best offensive linemen with 35 starts at guard in 41 games.

https://www.commanders.com/news/inside-andrew-wylie-s-transition-to-offensive-tackle

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Jordan McFadden, LT Clemson but projected to guard in the NFL.   6 '2, 303, but plays upright so looked to me taller than that for that reason.   To me late rounder, late 6th, 7th.  You are betting on traits not his play IMO. 

34 inch arms, 4.99 speed but I saw enough to believe this dude isn't a tackle in the NFL, gets blown up in pass protect, gets both overpowered and loses out also to speed rushers. Defenders seem to get to his outside shoulder with ease.  Doesn't sustain blocks well. 

But he can really move, he shows his athleticism, especially on the move in the run game.  So for to me I get the idea but IMO he's a project.

I like Braeden Daniels much more as a a tackle to guard project among the third tier types.  Kiper has McFadden as his 7th best guard in this draft.  I don't agree.  But in general i am not in love with that guards in this draft aside from Torrence and tackle converts like Skoronoski, Mauch, Steen, Daniels.  I can probably be talked into Avila, though don't love him.  

If you look at out current set of players under contract, for me the major issue is at CB. Fuller and BSJ, then a whole lot of uncertainty. Even those starters have issues. If this draft is stacked at CB I’m taking a stud corner plus another later round DB in the mould of Curl, Butler etc. Physical, bit hitter, nasty edge. 

After that, OT is next. I do think we have starters now. Wylie is here to play RT in my view. But we should be adding OT and IOL. I think we interviewed 20+ players to really get into the mid round value bucket. Unless OT #1 drops to pick 16 I’m just not seeing it round one. I also think Gates is the likely starter at C.

Need a depth QB, then some X factor quality across the RB,WR,TE group. Seems like we could go TE early, but can’t see it if Thomas is still stealing 7mil from us.

Draft is loaded at edge, but we could pretty much ignore the whole DL if we wanted. We are packed on our roster. We seem to want to pay Sweat, I’d be thinking one of him or Chase needs to move on soon...

And we need another backer. Mid round to add in with Davis and Barton. 

• Like 3

SIP, it seems like they would be targeting McFadden with a mind to play him at center, where he wouldn't be undersized and his movement skill would be a big plus.

Speed is the name of the game for centers IMO, that's why Kelce is so good and why I loved Linderbaum so much.  McFadden's measurable are almost exactly the same as Linderbaum's.  Same height and weight and 40 time.  But significantly longer arms.

I'm going to check him out and try and envision him playing center.  His athletic profile makes him an intriguing late round center project.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

SIP, it seems like they would be targeting McFadden with a mind to play him at center, where he wouldn't be undersized and his movement skill would be a big plus.

Speed is the name of the game for centers IMO, that's why Kelce is so good and why I loved Linderbaum so much.  McFadden's measurable are almost exactly the same as Linderbaum's.  Same height and weight and 40 time.  But significantly longer arms.

I'm going to check him out and try and envision him playing center.  His athletic profile makes him an intriguing late round center project.

He can move for sure, you can see that without the combine numbers.  His size is perfect for center. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 8.32.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 8.32.22 AM.png

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

McFadden at Center is appealing. 

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I imagine it would take some time to learn C for McFadden but it makes a lot of sense. Dude could play either G spots and possibly at least RT ir not be swing. Nothing says versatility to RR more than an OL that can fill 4-5 slots! All that and get him lets say in the 5th-6th round.

In that mock I would not be thrilled with Wright at 16, especially if Anton or Dawand is still there after your gushings! . Surprised he thinks Jones would be gone.

Hate talk of Cam at 16 but in the second would be great!

Would be happy Wyp in the 3rd and allow an easy Roullier cut. The other picks are handling holes

Warming up to the idea of Lukas Van Ness with our first selection. Ditto with Banks. Love that recent mock - a couple of meh picks for me but whatever. I do think Cam Smith is more of a 2nd round type - at least he is for me. 

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I notice this thread has been making a lot of plans based on position switches. Sometimes that really does workout. Most of the time it doesn't. I advise caution. 

I agree but need to add another to the list of who I think would make for better Center's then Guards: Emil Ekiyor Jr. Alabama :)

Edited by Chump Bailey

I'm a little perplexed about the lack of chatter about OG Kendall Randolph, Alabama. It's been a while since I looked at him but thought he was a decent looking prospect. Maybe he decided to return? Have not heard a peep.

Edited by Chump Bailey