Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

17 hours ago, DWinzit said:

With RR in his last year and new ownership almost definite, would you consider that a potential throw away pick? Wait until next year?

How exactly is Rivera in his last year? His contract is through the 2024 season.

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Explain why, WH36 and then I'll give my reasons!  :) 

Rookie to a coach who is trying to save his position with the team when you have a QB that they like already on roster.

Thats 1.

2) We need to round out the roster for whoever the QB is.

3) We’re going to give up assets to move up in a make or break year?

4) Levis isn’t a great blocker, so we can’t use him at guard. Little undersized, too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Rookie to a coach who is trying to save his position with the team when you have a QB that they like already on roster.

Thats 1.

2) We need to round out the roster for whoever the QB is.

3) We’re going to give up assets to move up in a make or break year?

4) Levis isn’t a great blocker, so we can’t use him at guard. Little undersized, too.

You covered all the bases for the question asked to WH36 but @KDawg I appreciate your feedback. too.  :)  

I like Levis as a prospect. He's a more athletic version of Derek Carr in my mind, but I agree it would be a mistake to trade up for him though. Roll with Sam or Jacoby and take a stab at Tune or similar later is my preference.

Edited by Chump Bailey

I'm torn on Levis, which I think most people are. For a different team, I think he could be a great pick.  Someone who is in the first year of their tenure and who has a lot of time to develop him is the best fit.  I fear drafting him here would put him into a lame duck coaching situation that would derail his career.

Sam Howell needs to be our guy this year.  Rivera and company need to commit to him as their prospect of choice and make it work with him, which means passing on the position in the draft and beefing up the talent around him as much as possible. 

I want us to trade back a few slots and still be able to get Anton Harrison or Dawand Jones, though I'm starting to doubt Jones makes it past Pittsburgh at 17.  But if both Harrison and Dawand are on the board when we pick at 16, I think I consider moving  down a few slots and hoping one of them is still there when my pick comes up.

Then in the second round I'm hoping for an intriguing faller: Michael Mayer, Darnell Washigton, or Kelee Ringo in particular.  If one of them hits 40, I think about moving up.  If none of them are there, I'd probably go with Brents.

If I can come away with Dawand Jones and Darnell Washington in the first and second and then get Deuce Vaughn late, IMO we'd have three rookie contributors and enough around Howell to make a serious run.

• Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I want us to trade back a few slots and still be able to get Anton Harrison or Dawand Jones, though I'm starting to doubt Jones makes it past Pittsburgh at 17.  But if both Harrison and Dawand are on the board when we pick at 16, I think I consider moving  down a few slots and hoping one of them is still there when my pick comes up.

In the event of a trade down, you looking for extra mid round pick this year or picks next year? 

11 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

In the event of a trade down, you looking for extra mid round pick this year or picks next year? 

Prefer them this year, but would certainly settle for a pick next year.  If we can find a deal is similar to the Dotson trade down, I'll take it if both Jones and Harrison are still on the board.  If one of them is already gone, I'd just pick the dude who is left.

I should add that the reason I'd want picks this year is because current draft picks are worth more than future ones, need to be loading up for a run this season, I'd love to recoup the pick lost in the Carson Wentz trade, and most of all: I want another mid round pick to give me ammo to move around in the second. 

Having an extra third makes it so much easier to go up ~10 spots if a really intriguing faller makes it into the second round.  And I don't think it's out of the question for someone like Mayer, Ringo, or Branch to be that guy.

• Thumb up 1

I like the idea of moving up in the 2nd to get a 1st round talent who falls. Seems like every year there is a guy we really like who turns out to be pretty good taken like 2-3 picks before us in the 2nd and we're stuck getting a guy with like a 4th round grade. I doubt Mayer or Washington will be there though that late.

• Like 1

It definitely seems like the consensus among the draft community (at least from what I’ve seen) is the offensive line group is an underwhelming one, which could well work to our advantage with regards a trade down n the 1st and still landing either Harrison or Jones.

Only I’ve just seen Chad Reuters latest 4 round mock and neither of them crack the 1st round, with Jones falling as far as Dallas’ 2nd round pick - D Washington was also picked somewhere in the early 2nd. Again then, this just seems pretty consistent with mocks I’ve seen lately and may be to do with each of Harrison, Jones and Washington being…well, maybe not slept on, but perhaps liked if not loved.

Certainly though, if we come out of the 1st with one of the above mentioned tackles and have the ammo to be aggressive and trade up for Mayer/Washington in the 2nd *and* still land a Ringo or Brents, that’s a hell of a draft in itself. 

• Like 1

I don't get why draftniks are so consistently low on Harrison and Dawand.  When scrubby ass tackles with crap film like Kolton Miller go first round and Mekhi Becton went 11th overall and I'm not even sure he knew how to do a pass set in college, what gives?  Especially when the OL class is viewed as being weak. 

• Like 1

Possible this is one of those scenarios the draftnik community is overthinking things, McQueen? Only I keep seeing either Darnell Wright or Broderick Jones seemingly locked in as the 3rd tackle (after PJJ and Skoronski) and don’t know if maybe Becton has become a cautionary tale with regards D Jones, whilst Harrison has seemingly failed to pick up any traction despite having a pretty good combine and solid tape (as I understand it) - PFF had him rated #3 tackle since around December, if I recall.

Looks like there could also be a run on fallers in positions we either aren’t interested in like WR (JSN) or CB (Witherspoon/Branch *if we opt to select one outside the 1st), which is pushing the tackles being discussed down, some.

Who knows. I do genuinely think we’re well placed to land one of Harrison or Jones if we stay at #16 or move back, though. 

22 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

My nose was right again :)

They met him at the combine too as was posted here.  their combine and top 30 visits or so lopsided for O line, I can't recall a position this lopsided in my years tracking vists.

Feels like 2 O lineman is a slam dunk, 3 is likely

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm glad Mafi's on our radar. Another underrated IOL prospect, IMO.

Their net is really wide on the O line, they are meeting with a ton of people at that spot.

Mafi I'd guess will be in the 5th round range give or take.  B minus kind of player IMO.   He's sort of IMO a poor man's Avila.  Same size give or take and with similar strengths and weaknesses.  He has a mean streak and is a people mover with a strong anchor IMO.  His balance isn't hot and he's not always quick coming off his stance -- slippery pass rushers, with good swim moves, etc, can shoot by him.  But if you want sort of a strong plower in the run game he IMO has potential.

Ironically he and his teammate Gaines gave him the most QB hurries among the top 13 guards I've charted stats for.  I think he's a little bit better than Gaines in pass protect, mirrors a little better IMO but Gaines is obviously the better athlete. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's sort of IMO a poor man's Avila. 

Perfect description. I still think Avila's going in the 2nd-3rd round. He'd be a great consolation prize to Torrence IMO though there are several other excellent candidates with Tippman, etc. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

3 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Perfect description. I still think Avila's going in the 2nd-3rd round. He'd be a great consolation prize to Torrence IMO though there are several other excellent candidates with Tippman, etc. 

The irony for me is though Tippman played center last season, I think I might like his potential more at guard and with Avila I liked how he played better at center than guard among the games I watched.

Judging by the Giants fans on twitter and the Giants media they seem to have a major desire for Michael-Schmitz or Tippman

Agree with the point below, I've made the same point many times

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1