Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There is a dedicated thread for those mocks. Reason being is they get out of control in here. Please keep them there :)

Is it this thread, KDawg?  "The Annual Mock Draft Thread- The always wild, completely unrealistic and never gonna happen, but occasionally entertaining thread for all the zany mock draft simulators"  My apologies! :)

Edited by RWJ
  • Thumb up 1

As to players I like who I often see in the late rounds that i don't get why they aren't thought much of - Riley Moss, and Ricky Stromberg.  Judging by many mocks, you can have them in the late 5th-6th round range.  Brayden Willis, is another, often in the 6th-7th round range -- I get it to some extent with him, he's not the athlete that some of the other TE's are -- but his blocking ability, utility of playing different spots and intangibles make him IMO a good pick.

\

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As to players I like who I often see in the late rounds that i don't get why they aren't thought much of - Riley Moss, and Ricky Stromberg.  Judging by many mocks, you can have them in the late 5th-6th round range.  Brayden Willis, is another, often in the 6th-7th round range -- I get it to some extent with him, he's not the athlete that some of the other TE's are -- but his blocking ability, utility of playing different spots and intangibles make him IMO a good pick.

\

Those are nickel arms for Moss

• Like 1

I'm optimistic about the depth and breadth of talent in this draft giving us a solid chance at real improvement. Same with free agency even into the next several months. Not a ton of superstars in either pool but a lot of solid quality players and other than a few standout errors ((Wentz being #1) we haven't done bad under Ron in acquiring good affordable players. 

Despite many here feeling we're close to competing for winning our division I'm more modest on expectation. On paper, even with the eagles losses to fa, our standing still seems like low man on the nfc east totem pole imo.

Yet I'm one who actually sees EB as a potential significant change and it's been underrated. I think it's likely the biggest positive change we'll have made, along with our qb room, even before adding another qb.

I still see us more as plodding forward rather than leaping to the front of our division but that's my typical cautious restraint when evaluating this franchise for many years now.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I'm optimistic about the depth and breadth of talent in this draft giving us a solid chance at real improvement. Same with free agency even into the next several months. Not a ton of superstars in either pool but a lot of solid quality players and other than a few standout errors ((Wentz being #1) we haven't done bad under Ron in acquiring good affordable players. 

Despite many here feeling we're close to competing for winning our division I'm more modest on expectation. On paper, even with the eagles losses to fa, our standing still seems like low man on the nfc east totem pole imo.

Yet I'm one who actually sees EB as a potential significant change and it's been underrated. I think it's likely the biggest positive change we'll have made, along with our qb room, even before adding another qb.

I still see us more as plodding forward rather than leaping to the front of our division but that's my typical cautious restraint when evaluating this franchise for many years now.

I'm closer to you than the others.

I think us, the Cowboys and the Giants are in about the same place. It could go wonky for any of the three, or it could go well.

I think the Eagles are still a notch above all of us.

The Cowboys, talent wise, are as well. But... McCarthy.

The Giants are about the same plane and were much better coached last year. Bienemy changes that a bit I think. We'll see. 

I don't think any team in the East is a bad team at this point. But one is clearly better than the others until otherwise noted. 

• Like 1

The Eagles are like two notches above us. The Cowboys one. We're on par with the GIants, actually I think we have more talent but they have stability at QB and their Coach appears to be dat dude.

We have good roster depth and solid across the board but we're severely lacking gamebreaking talent. Eagles have Hurts, Brown, and Smith on offense and Slay on defense. Cowboys have Lamb and Pollard on offense and Parsons and Diggs on defense. Giants have Barkley on offense and potentially Thibodeaux on defense. We have...McLaurin on offense(possibly Dotson) and that's about it(Allen and Payne are great but DTs aren't really game changers to the same extent that QBs, WRs, Edge, and CBs are).

We need to start taking more home run swings in the draft.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1

Sadly, I think the boys are going to be better with McCarthy calling offense, and I know most here won't buy that, understandably.  I think getting Brooks and Gilmore for what they gave and no Beckham show continuation of smart roster building and they are going to be even better than last year on both sides of the ball. Gilmore will also be invaluable to their locker room and strengthen their defense in that way, too.

Giants are close to us, but better than on coaching and likely on offense, overall. We may be able to counter with a better defense and if EB and Howell or Brissett can maximize our very good to excellent wr group. Getting a solid role playing addition at rb and quality pass catching te in the draft would be a big help.

Iggles still have too much star power on roster, very good draft pick standing, and I figure they'll continue making very solid acquisitions . They have the best qb.

It will likely be very tough to win this division, but even setting our biggest need aside (getting rid of the slimy incompetence of danya), we are moving towards an ever improving product. That's big for us.

• Like 1

We just have to get our offensive line fixed.  Out front seven is the best in the division and we just need the OL to drastically improve so that we can dominate the trenches.  Our offensive weapons are as good as any of the others.  Give us an elite OL and we can ride the run game and deep passing game to success.  Two battering ram RBs and four deep threats on the outside with a QB who throws it deep as well as anyone will work if we can win the line of scrimmage on offense.  That formula always works in football.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

We just have to get our offensive line fixed.  Out front seven is the best in the division and we just need the OL to drastically improve so that we can dominate the trenches.  Our offensive weapons are as good as any of the others.  Give us an elite OL and we can ride the run game and deep passing game to success.  Two battering ram RBs and four deep threats on the outside with a QB who throws it deep as well as anyone will work if we can win the line of scrimmage on offense.  That formula always works in football.

Yeah, unless Bijon is at there at 16, I’m taking best OL available.  As a Harrison fan, would you take Harrison over Mayer?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

\

That's why overall RAS can be misleading. What's Riley Moss's agility scores and bench? Awful? Awesome? Average? Who knows! But because he skipped that testing, it makes him seem like a better athlete than Stokes despite similar to worse results in what he actually did.

10 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

That's why overall RAS can be misleading. What's Riley Moss's agility scores and bench? Awful? Awesome? Average? Who knows! But because he skipped that testing, it makes him seem like a better athlete than Stokes despite similar to worse results in what he actually did.

He did enough for his RAS to be meaningful.  Part of the reason why I like to accumulate all the stats and put them in one place is to compare.  I might have missed a metric or two but in general most of the CBs skipped some categories.   I can care less about what a CB benches especially considering the longer arm CBs are at a disadvantage. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 12.52.41 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Not sure I buy McCarthy as a playcaller. One of the reasons he got let go in Green Bay was because he became stale and stagnant running the offense.

Thats been my take. But I opened my mind recently on McCarthy. The most astute Dallas fan I've ever met, a very very knowledgeable guy, kept insisting that it was their lauded oc the last couple years that was a problem despite the accolades and flashy stats,  at least in this situation, and he proved his case repeatedly with in depth solid arguments and examples.

He's also no McCarthy fan but points legitimately to a lot of good choices he's made and how he has successfully amplified steven jones departure from his dad's ways and formed two thirds of the fo  trio that has lessened Jerry's influence on the roster and schemes if not his media presence. I hope to be wrong of course.  

23 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Offensive line is fixed. It's not an elite unit by any means, but it's for sure fixed. Fixed as in, it was a disaster and now it should be league average.

The biggest weaknesses last year was our starting LG, RG, and OG depth. Specifically the RG situation would torpedo any OL. Our screens and trick plays that the previous OC loved would constantly get blown up by unblocked pursuit. Norwell usually could not connect, and Turner simply could never move that far to begin with. Stretch play to the left, Turner's not blocking anyone. Not the DT in front of him, not the 2nd level linebackers, not backside pursuit. If it's not a tight phone booth, Turner might as well not have been on the field.

• Like 1

Ok so we got Daniel Jeremiah, Jason Reid (who played college QB), and now Chris Simms.  Also considering he's the one QB we know they had a formal meeting with at the Combine, I'd gather Bieinemy had some level of intrigue. 

I am feeling better about liking him as a late round flier. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Ok so we got Daniel Jeremiah, Jason Reid (who played college QB), and now Chris Simms.  Also considering he's the one QB we know they had a formal meeting with at the Combine, I'd gather Bieinemy had some level of intrigue. 

I am feeling better about liking him as a late round flier. 

Got to be worth a 6th round pick. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Agree.  And listening to Keim who I trust as to what this team is thinking -- they are thinking the same.  They still plan to go to town at that spot in the draft as they should.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LOL,

I wouldn't be mad at this one.  I love Bijon as a talent.  However, I don't see Houston taking WR at all.  They can get a WR with their early 2nd round pick.  They need DL to run the scheme of Ryans.  

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Is our front seven better than the Eagles? They're much deeper. And we don't have a game wrecker like Parsons on the Cowboys. Now if Young can return to form and Davis takes a big year 3 leap then maybe.

I do like our WRs but right now we have basically nothing at TE. Our RBs are a decent complimentary pair but in the division they're at best 4th and 5th.