Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

50 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Don't you think the Bears might use it on Quentin Johnston if he's available?

Its possible but they spent a second rounder on Claypool and just traded for DJ Moore.  They still Darrell Mooney.  The WR is not great, but with the addition of Moore its serviceable now so its not a pressing need.  If they think Quentin Johnston in the best player available, they could certainly draft him, but WR is not a pressing need for them anymore so I don't think they will reach for one over another player they think is better.

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

Listening to Daniel Jeremiah and he thinks Purdue WR Charlie Jones can be a legit #2 WR in the league. Also mentioned Mims as a sleeper. Agree with both takes wholeheartedly. 

I’m not big on the # labels. They’re kind of dumbing down football. The guy who is best suited for his role or has the best match up on week to week basis’ will be the best receiver. Generally, your best players are the most utilized so it shakes out “correctly”.

But, let’s say we drafted Charlie Jones (we won’t, example). Let’s say EB utilizes him more in the slot and uses a ton of crossing patterns to beat man with him and he winds up with 85 receptions and 910 yards and 10 TD. McClaurin has a harder matchup and records 79 catches for 1016 yards and 4 TD. Who is your #1? Dotson meanwhile has 60 for 800 and 12 TD but he is in the backside of most concepts as the hot/safety valve. 

Is Dotson your 3 in that scenario? Maybe. Depends on a lot. Is Terry your 2? No. More yards but less receptions and TDs. He’s still your best receiver. 

I know this is a bit of a overthinking rant here. But it’s just a pet peeve of mine that I understand what is meant…

#1 means your best receiver. Nothing to do with utilization. Your best guy. I get it. It still bothers me :ols:

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m not big on the # labels. They’re kind of dumbing down football. The guy who is best suited for his role or has the best match up on week to week basis’ will be the best receiver. Generally, your best players are the most utilized so it shakes out “correctly”.

But, let’s say we drafted Charlie Jones (we won’t, example). Let’s say EB utilizes him more in the slot and uses a ton of crossing patterns to beat man with him and he winds up with 85 receptions and 910 yards and 10 TD. McClaurin has a harder matchup and records 79 catches for 1016 yards and 4 TD. Who is your #1? Dotson meanwhile has 60 for 800 and 12 TD but he is in the backside of most concepts as the hot/safety valve. 

Is Dotson your 3 in that scenario? Maybe. Depends on a lot. Is Terry your 2? No. More yards but less receptions and TDs. He’s still your best receiver. 

I know this is a bit of a overthinking rant here. But it’s just a pet peeve of mine that I understand what is meant…

#1 means your best receiver. Nothing to do with utilization. Your best guy. I get it. It still bothers me :ols:

I dont know. But if we get 26 TD's out of our WR's next year I might take a bong hit. Which I havent done in 40 years. 

• Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont know. But if we get 26 TD's out of our WR's next year I might take a bong hit. Which I havent done in 40 years. 

It was an example that I used for posterity. I want you to be fully aware and not under any fantasia… we will be lucky to get 15 receiving TD from our receivers. 

I don’t want to inspire hope. 

Our backs will have 45 receiving TD though as Sam Howitzer will throw for a league high 75 TD and just 4 INT enroute to the NFL MVP and a Lombardi. 

Hope I cleared this up.

• Haha 3

https://riggosrag.com/2023/03/19/commanders-7-round-2023-nfl-mock-draft-big-splash-edition/

Commanders 7-round 2023 NFL mock draft: Big splash edition

• Commanders draft Broderick Jones
  • Trade up: Commanders draft Emmanuel Forbes
  • Commanders draft Sam LaPorta
  • Commanders draft Chase Brown
  • Commanders draft Ricky Stromberg
  • Commanders draft Dee Winters
  • Commanders draft Malik Cunningham

My head has been consumed by the Snyder stuff of late, need to jump back in.

Allen was one of my fav mid-late rounder TEs -- along with him Whylie, Strange.  Shoonmaker on my radar now too.

With his "meh" 40 it turned me off.  But ultimately his agility scores were excellent so he's a good enough athlete clearly. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 7:08 AM, Est.1974 said:

Well, just spent a hour or so looking through the OL prospects again. I was intending to come on here saying that Steve Avila would be a good selection. But I wasn’t that impressed. To be honest, I am really struggling with the OL quality in general. Just not seeing first round material.

Paris is the only OT worth #16. I know Anton Harrison has a fervent fan base, but I haven't really seen too much of him. I want to watch film of Harrison against quality NFL prospects, but last I checked there wasn't any.

I've seen enough of Dawand Jones to not like him in the 1st. He's got both big pluses and minuses on his tape. I think he needs the right scheme, with the right OC that's ready to help him. TE in-line to do a quick chip then release, that type of thing. I don't think Dawand is physically capable of handling Micah Parsons sidestep moves. He's too massive and Parsons at only 6'0-6'1 has shown he can dip under long arms.

On 3/18/2023 at 7:08 AM, Est.1974 said:

I don’t think we’d draft a pure C now. Do we ? Not with Gates coming in IMO.

Later picks Tyler Steen will be value. Jon Gaines is a real favourite of mine for day 3. 

I don't think so either, I know they've talked about wanting position versatile players, but the addition of Gates kind of confirms that. Cosmi wasn't good enough at RT, but since he's position versatile, he has new life at RG. Same with Chris Paul, not good enough at OT, but LG is a possibility.

Off the board?

Guys like John Michael Schmitz, Avila, Torrence, Wypler, and Oluwatimi?

On the board? (Position flex)

Guys like Cody Mauch, Ricky Stromberg, and Joe Tippman?

• Like 3

Teams at the back end of Round 1 are investing heavily via free agency since the draft class has a serious drop off.

Reid: Teams at the end of the first round have especially focused on the offensive line in free agency. We've seen the Chiefs (Jawaan Taylor), Bengals (Orlando Brown Jr.) and Ravens (Ben Powers) all sign blockers to lucrative deals. Evaluators around the league say a big reason for that is the expectation OTs will fly off of the board in the middle of the first round. Plus, the interior line class is below average.

Miller: You nailed it, Jordan. Teams know that all of the top tackles -- Peter Skoronski (Northwestern), Broderick Jones (Georgia), Paris Johnson Jr. (Ohio State) and Darnell Wright (Tennessee) -- could be gone in the first 20 picks. And there is a really big drop-off to the second-tier tackles. On the interior, you won't hear many Round 1 grades at guard or center. In polling scouts around the league, only Florida guard O'Cyrus Torrence and Minnesota center John Michael Schmitz are thought to be top-31 picks there.

For contenders picking in the Nos. 21-31 range, there's also the risk of relying on a rookie to protect your franchise quarterback. Look at Kansas City and Cincinnati; neither front office is comfortable waiting until April 27 to secure protection for their signal-callers.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35881073/nfl-draft-takeaways-free-agency-impact-top-prospects-quarterbacks-positions-round-1

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Teams at the back end of Round 1 are investing heavily via free agency since the draft class has a serious drop off.

Reid: Teams at the end of the first round have especially focused on the offensive line in free agency. We've seen the Chiefs (Jawaan Taylor), Bengals (Orlando Brown Jr.) and Ravens (Ben Powers) all sign blockers to lucrative deals. Evaluators around the league say a big reason for that is the expectation OTs will fly off of the board in the middle of the first round. Plus, the interior line class is below average.

Miller: You nailed it, Jordan. Teams know that all of the top tackles -- Peter Skoronski (Northwestern), Broderick Jones (Georgia), Paris Johnson Jr. (Ohio State) and Darnell Wright (Tennessee) -- could be gone in the first 20 picks. And there is a really big drop-off to the second-tier tackles. On the interior, you won't hear many Round 1 grades at guard or center. In polling scouts around the league, only Florida guard O'Cyrus Torrence and Minnesota center John Michael Schmitz are thought to be top-31 picks there.

For contenders picking in the Nos. 21-31 range, there's also the risk of relying on a rookie to protect your franchise quarterback. Look at Kansas City and Cincinnati; neither front office is comfortable waiting until April 27 to secure protection for their signal-callers.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35881073/nfl-draft-takeaways-free-agency-impact-top-prospects-quarterbacks-positions-round-1

Hopefully, we draft one of those top 4 OT.

48 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Hopefully, we draft one of those top 4 OT.

They are missing Dawand so it’s 5 total

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My head has been consumed by the Snyder stuff of late, need to jump back in.

Allen was one of my fav mid-late rounder TEs -- along with him Whylie, Strange.  Shoonmaker on my radar now too.

With his "meh" 40 it turned me off.  But ultimately his agility scores were excellent so he's a good enough athlete clearly. 

This guy is Cole Turner

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's weird that none of the draftniks like Harrison or D.Jones as much as this board does.  Are we missing something?

8 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

It's weird that none of the draftniks like Harrison or D.Jones as much as this board does.  Are we missing something?

Some do, but most of the draft media are higher on Darnell Wright than those 2.

I like Wright more than most but I disagree that he’s better than Dawand and Harrison.  IMO he has issues with his balance but on the aggregate I do like him.

PFF though clearly is high on Harrison 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1