Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Simms hasn't had a good draft take in years.

I'm still waiting on Brady Quinn and/or Jimmy Clausen to hit as Mel Kiper expected.

These experts are clowns, national and local. It was like 2 years ago Grant on 106.7 was all in on Zach Wilson. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

Who's your return man?  Watch film on Derious Davis on KO and PR.  He could be had in the 6th. 

not a believer in that kid. Too small and runs with a weird backwards lean.  Kinda reminds me of a lesser version of Jaelon Darden. Decent college tape, though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Ultimately he wasn’t the fastest, posting a ‘disappointing’ 4.44 time in the 40, that might be enough to just have him drop a little into a more reasonable place for us to get him...

Good player.  If I recall his vertical and horizontal were both 3rd best in this class give or take.  So the 4.44 is fine IMO.

7 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Offensive line is fixed. It's not an elite unit by any means, but it's for sure fixed. Fixed as in, it was a disaster and now it should be league average.

That is really optimistic and,probably, premature. The offensive positions haven't even been set, they haven't played together as a unit (or even G&T sub-units), and may even have rook(s) on the line.  

On top of that, team Oline vets will be working with new Oline  and Offensive Coaches.

I'm hopeful, but not willing to claim it is fixed at this point.

Who Knows Yes GIF by Bounce

:229:The Rook

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, unless Bijon is at there at 16, I’m taking best OL available.  As a Harrison fan, would you take Harrison over Mayer?

No I wouldn't take Harrison over Mayer.  I love Harrison for us, and I wouldn't kill the decision if the team picks him over Mayer.  But personally, I'd trust in BPA and pick Mayer because I'm going to have him as a Tier 1 player and Harrison will probably be Tier 2 or Tier 3 for me.

I think Mayer is better than all of the OTs, and would draft him ahead of OT1 Paris Johnson Jr and OG1 Peter Skoronski.

Some of the shine has come off Mayer because of his mediocre combine numbers, but I'm still going to have him 7th or 8th probably.  I could certainly be wrong, and TE is not an easy position to project, but I think he's getting slept on like Kyle Hamilton was last year.  He's a transcendent player that's one of the best all around prospects in the class even though he plays a low value position and ran a "slow" 40.  I also think he's the rare TE prospect who has a year 1 impact potential because his body and functional strength are a;ready like an NFL vet's, he's the rare man coverage beater at TE, he has been playing through contact and beating coverages designed to stop him as the first option for three years, and he's a legitimately good blocker.  His ability to play through contact throughout the entire route is what makes him look like an NFL star to me.  Compare his style to Luke Musgrave, who is way faster than him, but just doesn't play through people like Mayer.  You're going to have to play through dudes if you're going to be a star  TE in the NFL because defenses are going to man cover you if you're good, and those athletes are going to jam and hold you all of the way down the field.

I think Mayer is special and I still think he helps you win the line of scrimmage as a non-lineman because of how good his blocking can be.  I'll take him over a LT prospect who I think is really good, but not a transcendent one.

Plus I think there is a chance we can trade up from 47 and get Dawand Jones in the back end of the first, which would be one of the best draft outcomes for me.  Best way to do it would be to trade down a little bit from 16, get Mayer, and use some of that ammo to get back up for Jones.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

No I wouldn't take Harrison over Mayer.  I love Harrison for us, and I wouldn't kill the decision if the team picks him over Mayer.  But personally, I'd trust in BPA and pick Mayer because I'm going to have him as a Tier 1 player and Harrison will probably be Tier 2 or Tier 3 for me.

I think Mayer is better than all of the OTs, and would draft him ahead of OT1 Paris Johnson Jr and OG1 Peter Skoronski.

Some of the shine has come off Mayer because of his mediocre combine numbers, but I'm still going to have him 7th or 8th probably.  I could certainly be wrong, and TE is not an easy position to project, but I think he's getting slept on like Kyle Hamilton was last year.  He's a transcendent player that's one of the best all around prospects in the class even though he plays a low value position and ran a "slow" 40.  I also think he's the rare TE prospect who has a year 1 impact potential because his body and functional strength are a;ready like an NFL vet's, he's the rare man coverage beater at TE, he has been playing through contact and beating coverages designed to stop him as the first option for three years, and he's a legitimately good blocker.  His ability to play through contact throughout the entire route is what makes him look like an NFL star to me.  Compare his style to Luke Musgrave, who is way faster than him, but just doesn't play through people like Mayer.  You're going to have to play through dudes if you're going to be a star  TE in the NFL because defenses are going to man cover you if you're good, and those athletes are going to jam and hold you all of the way down the field.

I think Mayer is special and I still think he helps you win the line of scrimmage as a non-lineman because of how good his blocking can be.  I'll take him over a LT prospect who I think is really good, but not a transcendent one.

Plus I think there is a chance we can trade up from 47 and get Dawand Jones in the back end of the first, which would be one of the best draft outcomes for me.  Best way to do it would be to trade down a little bit from 16, get Mayer, and use some of that ammo to get back up for Jones.

Awesome post.  Yeah, Mayer seems to have "slipped" after the combine, but I also think he's going to be really good.  He's probably negatively affected by the quality of the TE prospects this year (like Bijan is to some extent).  Difference is that Bijan is universally regarded (by teams, draftniks, etc) as a top 5-7 talent in this draft.  

I'm kind of almost hoping Bijan is gone by the time we picked so I wouldn't be so negatively affected if we pass on him.  Ron & Hurney have taken RB high in the draft before.  I have to think they'd take Bijan with the 16th pick.  Mayhew also took Brandon Pettigrew pretty high when he was the GM in Detroit.

• Like 1

RBs in round 1 is like G level bad RoI. And this isn't even factoring in that we're already pretty solid at that position. 

I think all the 1st round Ts after Paris Johnson are kinda more or less the same tier-wise. If there is a run on them and only one left then I'd be okay taking one at 16. 

CB is still my preference though, assuming one of the following is available: JPJ/Ringo/Witherspoon(possibly Banks).

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

RBs in round 1 is like G level bad RoI. And this isn't even factoring in that we're already pretty solid at that position. 

I think all the 1st round Ts after Paris Johnson are kinda more or less the same tier-wise. If there is a run on them and only one left then I'd be okay taking one at 16. 

CB is still my preference though, assuming one of the following is available: JPJ/Ringo/Witherspoon(possibly Banks).

I wouldn't want Porter.  His lack of ball-skills seem troubling to me and make him to be Carlos Rogers 2.0.  The staff has shown it has developed young DBs.  Would much rather try and nab a young DB with our 2nd round pick.

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I wouldn't want Porter.  His lack of ball-skills seem troubling to me and make him to be Carlos Rogers 2.0.  The staff has shown it has developed young DBs.  Would much rather try and nab a young DB with our 2nd round pick.

You make it sound like Rogers was some scrub. He was a damn fine cover CB. Forcing incompletions is not a bad trait to have. If you're consistently going to 2nd and 10 on defense, you're gonna win a lot.

• Like 1

Kiper with a mock.  I like Forbes but not at 16.  Harrison and Dawnad don't make the first round with him

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35898637/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-post-free-agency-first-round-predictions-31-picks-third-version

16. Washington Commanders

Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State

Before free agency, Washington had a massive hole at right tackle, but now that spot is filled by former Chiefs lineman Andrew Wylie, who signed a three-year deal last week. I'm not going to rule out the possibility of a tackle here -- left tackle Charles Leno Jr. is 31 and on a reasonable contract through 2024 -- but let's move on to another key area: cornerback.

I'm a huge fan of Forbes, who is rail thin but really fast. He ran a 4.35-second 40-yard dash at the combine but weighed in at 166 pounds, making him the lightest prospect at the position. He's going to get bigger, of course, but some teams will be scared off by his size. The Commanders should capitalize; Forbes is a ball hawk who picked off 14 passes over the past three seasons -- one of those was a pick-six off Will Levis -- and could be an All-Pro player. He has gone up against some of college football's best wideouts and consistently held his own.

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland

Cameron Sutton is out, veteran Patrick Peterson is in, but Pittsburgh's biggest need hasn't changed. It has to get younger -- and faster -- at cornerback. Banks matched Forbes' 40-yard dash time (4.35) at the combine, and he did it 31 pounds heavier (though he measured 6-foot, two inches shorter than he was listed in college). His 2022 tape is one of the best I've seen in this class in terms of man coverage. He can shut down an entire side of the field. He's a fit for Mike Tomlin's defense.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

18. Detroit Lions

Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

I got the Lions help along the defensive line at No. 6, and I wouldn't be surprised if they double-dipped here with another pick on defense. That unit was that bad last season. Instead, let's pivot to the other side of the ball. They traded away T.J. Hockenson last fall and used a committee approach to the tight end position, with Brock Wright, James Mitchell and Shane Zylstra each catching at least 11 passes. All three are under contract for 2023, but shouldn't Detroit try to upgrade?

Mayer is the most complete tight end in this class. He's physical as a run-blocker, and he can run seam routes and get open for quarterback Jared Goff. He caught 67 passes for 809 yards and nine touchdowns last season and had 180 catches in his college career. He could be the lead guy in Detroit.

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

Is Tampa Bay rebuilding now that Tom Brady is gone? Its moves don't suggest so, particularly in bringing back veteran linebacker Lavonte David. And with Baker Mayfield set to battle Kyle Trask for the starting quarterback job, maybe the Bucs believe they can win the NFC South again. If that's the case, they need an instant starter at right tackle. Tristan Wirfs is moving over to the left side, so there's a void. The 6-foot-5, 333-pound Wright started 42 games in college, including 27 at right tackle. This would be a move to get new offensive coordinator Dave Canales off to the best start, no matter the quarterback.

If the Bucs really want to get wild, they could take running back Bijan Robinson here. I've had trouble finding the perfect landing spot for him, though I do think he'll go in Round 1.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

20. Seattle Seahawks

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

This was a tough pick for me. It could be a front-seven player; Seattle ranked 27th in yards per carry allowed (4.9) last season, though it added free agent tackle Dre'Mont Jones to help. Edge rushers Will McDonald IV (Iowa State) and Myles Murphy (Clemson) could make sense. I also thought about interior offensive line, but it might be a little too high for guard O'Cyrus Torrence (Florida). So if I'm getting the Seahawks a project quarterback at No. 5, why not add a wideout who could make things easier on offense?

Smith-Njigba has a chance to develop into a true No. 1 receiver. He didn't run the 40-yard dash at the combine, but he looked effortless in the pass-catching drills and led all receivers with a 6.57-second 3-cone time and a 3.93-second short shuttle. A hamstring injury limited him to just five catches last season, but he caught 95 passes for 1,606 yards in 2021. He could be a plug-and-play starter for a team that already features Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf. He could alternate reps outside and in the slot.

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

21. Los Angeles Chargers

Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

I had been targeting receivers for the Chargers, but let's give them a player who could help in both the pass and run games. Kincaid, who had 106 catches and 16 touchdowns over the past two seasons, is the best "move" tight end in this class. He's a legit playmaker in the pass game. At 6-foot-4, 246 pounds, he could do damage out of the slot or lined up next to a tackle. New offensive coordinator Kellen Moore could scheme up easy targets to Kincaid for quarterback Justin Herbert.

As I've mentioned before, the Chargers' run defense still is an issue, but they could get help there on Day 2.

bal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

22. Baltimore Ravens

Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

Well, I had hoped to have some more clarity about quarterback Lamar Jackson's future by the time I did these predictions, but I'm just going to assume he'll be back in 2023, playing on the franchise tag. And if that's the case, can general manager Eric DeCosta get him some receiving help? A top three wideout group of Rashod Bateman, Devin Duvernay and James Proche isn't good enough.

The dynamic Flowers is a favorite of mine in this class. While some in the NFL see him strictly as a slot receiver, he actually had five touchdowns when lined up outside last season (and seven from the slot). Though he's only 5-foot-9, he could be used everywhere. He forced 25 missed tackles last season, third most in the country for a wideout. He could thrive with Jackson in Baltimore, especially with new coordinator Todd Monken opening up the offense.

min.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

23. Minnesota Vikings

Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

I'm switching gears a bit for the Vikings, as I had projected a cornerback here in my first two mock drafts. They could still go that way, as adding Byron Murphy helps fill their immediate hole. At receiver, though, with Adam Thielen gone, I love the idea of Johnston playing on the other side of Justin Jefferson, helping take defensive backs away. The 6-foot-3 Johnston will be an immediate red zone threat in the NFL, and his skills after the catch mean he will break a bunch of tackles and score long touchdowns. I know K.J. Osborn has earned a bigger role in the Minnesota offense, but there's room for Johnston too.

jax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

24. Jacksonville Jaguars

Will McDonald IV, DE, Iowa State

After years of spending big money in free agency, the Jaguars have largely stayed out of the fray this year -- they have stuck to re-signings so far. This young roster is going to grow and improve together, and that's a good thing for Jacksonville fans. There aren't many obvious holes on this depth chart, but the loss of Arden Key in free agency means there are edge-rushing snaps to be had. Enter McDonald, who had a really strong Senior Bowl and showed off great physical attributes at the combine.

At 6-foot-4, 239 pounds, McDonald and Key are actually very similar in size, and both are best when coordinators let them get after quarterbacks. McDonald is an explosive player who had 34 sacks over four college seasons. I expect Travon Walker, the No. 1 overall pick last year, to make a second-season leap -- the Jags' defense could get much better.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

25. New York Giants

Jordan Addison, WR, USC

Quarterback Daniel Jones is back on a four-year deal, and the Giants' front office has prioritized playmakers around him. New York has given the franchise tag to running back Saquon Barkley, re-signed wideouts Darius Slayton and Sterling Shepard, traded for tight end Darren Waller and added receiver Parris Campbell on a one-year deal. That's an upgraded depth chart, which also includes promising 2022 second-rounder Wan'Dale Robinson. How about one more?

Addison put up huge numbers for Pitt and USC over the past three seasons, and he could be a plug-and-play starter, getting reps in the slot and outside. This is how the Giants' passing offense can take a big step forward.

dal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

26. Dallas Cowboys

Adetomiwa Adebawore, DE, Northwestern

You might remember Adebawore from his performance at the NFL combine, where he ran a 4.49-second 40-yard dash at 282 pounds, putting up the fastest time of any player over 280 pounds at the combine since at least 2006, according to ESPN Stats & Information. I wrote at the time that he was going to rise, and he's likely going in Round 1 now. He wasn't super productive in college -- 9.5 sacks since 2021 -- but his talent is undeniable. Adebawore played about 75% of his snaps at defensive end, but he could move inside at the next level and work as a 3-technique tackle.

For the Cowboys, we know defensive coordinator Dan Quinn values versatility, and Adebawore could get reps all over the line. DeMarcus Lawrence turns 31 this offseason, and they need to keep adding young players to their rotation.

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

27. Buffalo Bills

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

I keep coming back to Robinson being perfect for this Bills offense. He could be a security blanket for Josh Allen in the pass game, and he can rip off chunk plays as a ball carrier. He breaks a ton of tackles and has tremendous vision. He's the most complete back in this class. As I've written before, Robinson is a top-10 prospect on my board, but his positional value means he's going to drop into the 20s. I know Buffalo has James Cook and just added Damien Harris on a one-year deal, but Robinson is on another level. This is a team that can afford to target a luxury position in Round 1.

cin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

28. Cincinnati Bengals

Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia

This makes seven pass-catchers (four receivers, three tight ends) in a nine-pick span. There absolutely could be a run on them in the 20s. The tight end group as a whole is spectacular at the top, but Washington might have the highest ceiling. He wasn't used a ton in the pass game for the Bulldogs, as he had just 45 catches and three scores over three seasons. At 6-foot-7, 264 pounds, he ran a 4.64-second 40-yard dash at the combine, impressing NFL scouts, who think he could be much better at the next level. With Hayden Hurst gone in free agency, this is a clear need area for Cincinnati.

no.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

29. New Orleans Saints (via DEN/MIA/SF)

Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

New Orleans, back in Round 1 after Denver gave up this pick in the deal for coach Sean Payton, is in an interesting spot. It just added quarterback Derek Carr, and it has a talented, veteran roster -- with a few holes. It has tried to plug a few of those holes, notably by turning over the defensive tackle position, adding Khalen Saunders and Nathan Shepherd in free agency. Those two defenders have never played full-time roles, however, so the Saints should add another tackle if Bresee is available. Bresee had a fantastic workout at the combine, making my risers list. He could see the field early and often for this team.

Pick

New England Patriots

Bijan Robinson

Texas · RB · Junior

The Patriots don’t think like every other franchise. I believe they would see Robinson as a valuable addition instead of a player at a non-premium position. He would team up with Rhamondre Stevenson to give New England one of the best backfields in the NFL. 

Pick

Green Bay Packers

Paris Johnson Jr.

Ohio State · OT · Junior

The Packers are set to begin the Jordan Love era this fall, and Johnson will start immediately at right tackle while providing insurance at left tackle. 

Pick

Washington Commanders

Dalton Kincaid

Utah · TE · Senior

I wouldn’t rule out a quarterback with this selection, but I love the idea of adding a dynamic tight end to their impressive wide receiving corps. I’m excited to see what Sam Howell can do as the starter for the Commanders. 

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kiper with a mock.  I like Forbes but not at 16.  Harrison and Dawnad don't make the first round with him

I like Wright at this time at #16, OT from Tenn.  I think he can play OG and he's played both OT positions and can transition back to left OT when it's his time. I also like Harrison too but Wright a bit better.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I’m a big fan of your takes, but isn’t NFL TE success often highly correlated to RAS, no? 

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=15426&pos=TE

TE’s usually take some time to develop in the NFL, it’s not a premium position money-wise, this draft seems deep at the position, and our team seems to have a lot of young athletic tight ends on the roster. 

I do think his skill set could be a nice complement to the pass catching TEs we are developing, and I see some shades of Cooley in Mayer. Phenomenal hands, contact balance, strength, good (not elite) speed, blocking etc.

In your example of a trade down I think I would like the pick a lot. At 16, I would think there would be a BPA (pass rusher?) probably available.

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I like Wright at this time at #16, OT from Tenn.  I think he can play OG and he's played both OT positions and can transition back to left OT when it's his time. I also like Harrison too but Wright a bit better.  

I was early in on Darnell Wright.  So I'd be good with it.  I like Anton Harrison and Dawand about half a peg better mainly because of their footwork-balance -- Wright ends up on his butt a bit too much for my liking but I he has a good strong punch, in spite of his small hands, feisty pass protector.  His really good combine cemented it for me.

Wright defintiely loved by the draft media post Senior Bowl and combine, that's hard to miss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I've used the Mayer-Hamilton comparison in the past, so I agree.  Ditto predicting Mayer wouldn't have a hot combine, which wasn't a hard prediction.  Still though it wasn't an awful combine but just an OK one.  RAS score was just short of 8, so that's not bad. 

What he does best IMO is seperate on the first level, find a seam/open spot in a zone defense, has glue for hands, makes contested catches, and is awesome in the red zone.

Sort of the TE version of Drake London.

I'd love to have him.  I suspect they don't take him though.  I'd be shocked if they go TE in the first, I'd be mildly suprised albiet not shocked if they take one in the 2nd, I think there is a decent chance they do in the 3rd-5th round.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What he does best IMO is seperate on the first level, find a seam/open spot in a zone defense, has glue for hands, makes contested catches, and is awesome in the red zone.

Yeah that's a good summation, but I'd add that I think he's special at playing through contact, both into and out of his break and also at the catch point.  Not just good, but elite.  Super high football IQ too.  And I also think he's a high level run blocker and there isn't much difference between him and Darnell Washington in this part of the position.

You could wish for more explosion off the line and more long speed with Mayer, but I don't think he has any real weaknesses.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah that's a good summation, but I'd add that I think he's special at playing through contact, both into and out of his break and also at the catch point.  Not just good, but elite.  Super high football IQ too.  And I also think he's a high level run blocker and there isn't much difference between him and Darnell Washington in this part of the position.

You could wish for more explosion off the line and more long speed with Mayer, but I don't think he has any real weaknesses.

Agree about the blocking, that's an oversight by me, I've mentioned it many times in the past.  To your point, really high intangibles.  High floor player.

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.08.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.09.24 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’m a big fan of your takes, but isn’t NFL TE success often highly correlated to RAS, no? 

I don't know about the correlation.  I think there are so few great TEs in the NFL it's going to be small sample size theater on any kind of analysis looking for commonalities between the best ones.  But the thing I like to see most in a TE prospect is NFL ready receiving ability.  It's not that guys who are raw athletes at the position can't develop into great receivers in the NFL, it just means there is one less area of growth to have to project for them.  If they get an early opportunity, than they are going to be ready to be ready to come in and run routes and catch the ball.

I honestly think the biggest factor in a TE's success comes down to opportunity.  For example, Harrison Bryant was the most skilled receiver in the 2020 class, but he was drafted onto a team where there were already two established TEs on the chart above him and those guys were healthy the past two/three seasons.  He just doesn't get many snaps, and gets even fewer targets.  Meanwhile Isaiah Likely (another receiving TE I liked) is not a significantly better prospect than Bryant IMO, but he got drafted into a very TE friendly offense and the established starter got hurt so he got a lot of opportunity to make an early impact.

The reason I like Mayer so much is that I think he's ready to be an impact player early in his career.  His body is NFL ready, his receiving skills are super polished (much more so than Bryant's or Likely's), and his blocking is also good too.  There is no reason to keep him off the field if you've got an opening for a #1 TE like we do.  TBH you just don't see many college tight ends who were the first option for their teams, and who are already skilled at beating man coverage and making plays against double and triple coverages.  If he were on our team, he'd actually see a ton more soft and zone coverages because the safeties and nickels can't sit on him in an offense where Dotson/McLaurin/Brown can kill you deep.

I think he's a lot better than Cooley was as a prospect TBH.  I think his blocking potential is a lot better and that he's a meaningfully bigger/stronger athlete.  I think he's much more like Jason Witten than Chris Cooley.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Elijah Higgins

6-3, 235lbs 

4.54 forty time

WR/TE Hybrid

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Jordan Reed
Overview
Draft grades for Higgins could vary depending on how teams envision using him in their offense. While teams might see him as a big possession receiver with limitations, he appears to have the necessary tools to become a dynamic F tight end with the ability to work all three levels of the field. Higgins has average ball skills but can run a more robust route tree than most tight ends. Also, he has the frame and technique to be an adequate run blocker in space. He might never be more than a backup at receiver but could blossom for an offense ready to plug him into two tight end sets.

• Like 1