Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Thanks. From what I’ve seen he was late day 3 but fit the bill in terms of measurables that we look for. That’s said we’ve picked up Dantzler now off waivers from the Vikings so maybe that late round option has been boxed off.

Perhaps, I still think we will look hard at CB regardless because of the sheer value and need. Dantzler is oft injured it seems have to take that into consideration. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Perhaps, I still think we will look hard at CB regardless because of the sheer value and need. Dantzler is oft injured it seems have to take that into consideration. 

For sure, I still think we go CB very early. Fuller is potentially done in 2024, BSJ is still 50/50 for me. I think a stud CB is a must. Wright was more a punt at a later round flyer like we tend to go for at  DB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m going to go early. I don’t think Ron has never taken a DB in the first round, we need OT. That said, if he’s there at #16, the pick is in.....

Dotson is already talking in RR's ear about him. :)

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m going to go early. I don’t think Ron has never taken a DB in the first round, we need OT. That said, if he’s there at #16, the pick is in.....

He never has, I'm looking at what was available though when he did take a CB in the 2nd round.

Spent 1st rounder on DJ Moore, obvious hit

Next 3 CB's taken all busted.

Then they took Donte Jackson who started for 5 seasons and has been good (I think?)

Spent 1st rounder on Vernon Butler, bust

Next CB taken was Xavien Howard who is stellar but had character issues.

Next 2 CB's busted

Then they took James Bradberry, clear hit

If we add in Martin Mayhew, he also never took a CB in the 1st, and only one in the 2nd. That was 2013 and their 1st rounder was a hit in Ziggy Ansah but injuries cut his prime short. Then the 2nd rounder Darius Slay was also a hit.

In between those 2 were 2 busts and 2 hits at CB.

• Like 1

I am really high on Ringo. I think him and Gonz have a chance to be the class of the NFL in 5 years. Gonz much earlier. If Ringo did one more year in college he's a top 10 pick.

I think the kids going to be really special with his attitude, work ethic and ridiculous physical skills.

I'd take him at 16 the same way Ron took Davis early. And for the same reason.

12 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

For sure, I still think we go CB very early. Fuller is potentially done in 2024, BSJ is still 50/50 for me. I think a stud CB is a must. Wright was more a punt at a later round flyer like we tend to go for at  DB.

Here’s the issue: we have a lot of “musts”.

OT, CB, Hybrid Safety/Slot CB, ILB, IOL, TE.

Using the logic above, EDGE certainly fits, too. 

Here lies the issue with pre-selecting who we’d take. I don’t think anything is off the table at this point for any round. 

I honestly don’t have a prediction except that I believe OL is their highest priority. 

• Like 5

Agree. I think in reality it is wide open. I’m expecting a couple more FA moves to solidly depth. More mid tier pick ups. 

Per the draft, I’m struggling fit an OL pick into #16. I think we take OL fairly ‘early’ on, but at our current pick. Don’t know. Perhaps the smart money would be on a trade back. 

My thought process now says CB is most likely the best value that is too good to pass at #16. Porter looks the real deal to my uneducated eye. Ron is going to love the bloodlines too.

24 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree. I think in reality it is wide open. I’m expecting a couple more FA moves to solidly depth. More mid tier pick ups. 

Per the draft, I’m struggling fit an OL pick into #16. I think we take OL fairly ‘early’ on, but at our current pick. Don’t know. Perhaps the smart money would be on a trade back. 

My thought process now says CB is most likely the best value that is too good to pass at #16. Porter looks the real deal to my uneducated eye. Ron is going to love the bloodlines too.

I think it's a safe assumption that 90% of this Draft Thread is on the trade back wagon. May be a few outliers, but most currently think we should move back to get as much bang for our buck in what I view as an overall deep draft class but not a big blue chip class. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

16 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Hypothetical- Who would trade back with Philly ? #16 for their #30 #62 #94

We get a couple of extra day 2 picks but leave them with #10 and #16.......

Philly is too smart for that. If Howie wanted our 16, we'd probably end up losing a first next year somehow. That guys on fire.

I would absolutely love to have 30, 47, 94, 97 and 118,

• Like 1

Based on current players under contract, I would say we need to sort :

Third string development QB.

Multi purpose RB.. dynamic with it.

3rd/4th string WR depending on how you rank Samuel....dynamic with it.

Staring calibre TE prospect. I personally think we need a #1 TE.

Staring calibre OL prospect. Either IOL or OT or both.

Edge depth. 
Starting calibre LB.

Stud CB prospect. Potential starter. Maybe CB/S flex.
And not forgetting special teams, K competition.

All subject to subsequent FA moves.

• Like 1

https://riggosrag.com/2023/03/17/4-commanders-draft-needs-early-free-agent-moves-2023/

4 Commanders draft needs after early free-agent moves in 2023

1. Commanders need a pass-catching RB

2. Commanders need a physical CB

3. Commanders need an explosive TE

4. Commanders need a franchise LT

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I am really high on Ringo.

He's really hard to nail down for me. I waffle on Ringo more than any CB by a wide margin. I can usually form an opinion pretty quickly, but not in this case. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Based on current players under contract, I would say we need to sort 3rd/4th string WR depending on how you rank Samuel....dynamic with it.

I hope we grab a WR in this draft. I'm concerned we will overlook it because of the Cam and Kemp signings. I think it would be a mistake because it is a pretty deep group, IMO. I'd love to get Jake Bobo on Day 3 - though there are plenty of other attractive prospects.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

I have awoken my LBer fantasy by accident and now I'm having fun with these guys. Simpson is probably the second or third on my list with Campbell. Sanders is first.

Simpson has a military family background which Ron loves. Total athletic freak but didn't shine his first year in the middle like Sanders did.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have awoken my LBer fantasy by accident and now I'm having fun with these guys. Simpson is probably the second or third on my list with Campbell. Sanders is first.

Simpson has a military family background which Ron loves. Total athletic freak but didn't shine his first year in the middle like Sanders did.

I disagree with Baldy. I don’t think he’s an ILB. To me, he looks like an OLB that is best utilized in coverage and coming off the edge and not so much as an in the box block shedding guy.

The edge Rush capability certainly makes him a weapon though and he’s a first rounder all day.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I hope we grab a WR in this draft. I'm concerned we will overlook it because of the Cam and Kemp signings. I think it would be a mistake because it is a pretty deep group, IMO. I'd love to get Jake Bobo on Day 3 - though there are plenty of other attractive prospects.

Or Mingo. Another tall possession type. 6'2" 225lbs loves to hit and block. Draft profile similar to Cam in a few ways. Concentration drops, bad routes, not a burner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

That fairly staggering really between the 2 of them, especially for a premium position.

Draft big early, small later.  Unless someone special drops to your pick at a small position, usually best to go with linemen in the first IMO.  It's hard to get big and fast linemen outside of the first, and it's not hard to get good DBs outside of the first.

I hope we either pick a BPA type skill guy like Mayer or JSN, or a lineman like Murphy or Bresee or Harrison or Skoronski in the first this year.  And then I am hoping we go DB in the second and that someone like Brian Branch or Kelee Ringo is there.  If either makes it to 40, I'd consider trading up for them.  If not, I'd probably just got with Julius Brents.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I disagree with Baldy. I don’t think he’s an ILB. To me, he looks like an OLB that is best utilized in coverage and coming off the edge and not so much as an in the box block shedding guy.

The edge Rush capability certainly makes him a weapon though and he’s a first rounder all day.

Last year was his first inside and it wasn't great. I think that's the biggest difference between hi and Sanders. Sanders didn't look bad inside and reminds me a Davis quiet a bit. Physically he's definitely a 1rst rounder.

What are your thoughts on Daiyan Henley? He's like a Buchannon in that he's small-ish, but big enough to be a 3 down backer. Pretty ridiculous physically. Should be there at 47.

22 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

https://riggosrag.com/2023/03/17/4-commanders-draft-needs-early-free-agent-moves-2023/

4 Commanders draft needs after early free-agent moves in 2023

1. Commanders need a pass-catching RB

2. Commanders need a physical CB

3. Commanders need an explosive TE

4. Commanders need a franchise LT

He's really hard to nail down for me. I waffle on Ringo more than any CB by a wide margin. I can usually form an opinion pretty quickly, but not in this case. 

His size and speed is absurd and it seems like he's got a great attitude and really serious about putting the extra work in to be great.

and he's only 20.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Last year was his first inside and it wasn't great. I think that's the biggest difference between hi and Sanders. Sanders didn't look bad inside and reminds me a Davis quiet a bit. Physically he's definitely a 1rst rounder.

What are your thoughts on Daiyan Henley? He's like a Buchannon in that he's small-ish, but big enough to be a 3 down backer. Pretty ridiculous physically. Should be there at 47.

Henley and Pace are the two more unheralded dudes I’ve been pumping this whole process. If Henley was younger he’d be a borderline day 1/early day 2 dude.

21 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I think he's risky because I don't think he reads the game that well.  Guys like Spoon and Branch play with much better recognition skills and instincts than Ringo, and don't make as many coverage mistakes.

There is some technical underdevelopment with Ringo though that leads to some of his mistakes, and that is probably fixable.  His upside is pretty high as a result.  I'm not writing him off, but he's late first value for me in a class where there are a solid number of corners who are better than him.

One of the things I told myself back in ~October or November was that corners should be drafted for traits, and that sometimes you have to ignore bad film at the position to hit home runs, having faith that NFL coaching can correct a lot of issues you see at the college level.  Tariq Woolen is kind of the ultimate example.  Ringo benefits from that kind of charity.  So does Brents for that matter.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1