Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Smith smacks Chris Rock at the Oscars

Cooked Crack

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't really care.  

I've got a 3 month old baby, I've got a wedding to plan for, a business to help run.  So Will Smith slapped Chris Rock.  I mean, I really don't care.  At the end of the day, this has no bearing on my life.

And yet here you are posting over and over on this very thread. I ain’t buying your self-righteousness on this subject. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He's one of only three black men to ever win best actor Oscar, and did this during oscars that he won it.  The only other one still alive came to counsel him while he was crying about it, right or wrong.

It's fine if some don't care, but I don't find it reasonable to say none of us should. 

well, I obviously have no tie into that aspect of it. 

but I was just answering the question. The middle ground is to not care. I’m not saying you shouldn’t care. 

a dude made a comment another another dudes wife and got slapped. Something worst happened at many bars over the past weekend. 

Will smith and his family are a bit out there. Comedians love to take shots at people then cry “it’s just a joke” if someone gets upset - and they’ve been treating this family like a piñata for a long time now (not undeservingly so…) 

It’s only a big deal if you want to make it a big deal. No charges were filed. Chris rock has new material to work with. Will smith will still do random movies and get tons of money for them. And his family will continue to be a bit out there. 

it sometimes baffles me how people react to things. It was an open handed slap. He’s lucky smith didn’t beat the piss out of him right then and there. Smith was clearly very angry, and chris rock is unsurprisingly clearly a chump. 

• Like 1

I’m just stunned that happened and they just… let Smith continue sitting there and the show continued. And then he won and they let him deliver the acceptance speech. Like, nobody thought “hey maybe the dude who just walked up on stage and hit someone should take a little break outside.” 

• Like 8

Realistically if you were to pick out the biggest targets of celebrity awards shows, is there anyone bigger than the trump and smith families?

admittedly I don’t really watch these much - I was watching the Oscars a bit as we were doing laundry but we turned it off and missed this, only saw the thread. 

so maybe there are bigger targets, that get embarrassed year after year. But as far as I know it’s really the Trump family, then the Smith family. 

and to be clear - there’s a difference between saying: I completely understand why someone would do something

and

i support and condone what this person did 

I completely understand why someone would get up and slap another man across the face, in front of everyone, after having grown beyond tired of his family being ridiculed on national tv and in front of peers, year after year. I find it laughable some of you don’t. 

But if they want to never invite him back or if Rock wants to press charges, so be it. Actions have consequences. Whether that’s relentlessly picking on someone’s family, or smacking someone across the face. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGoodBits said:

I’m just stunned that happened and they just… let Smith continue sitting there and the show continued. And then he won and they let him deliver the acceptance speech. Like, nobody thought “hey maybe the dude who just walked up on stage and hit someone should take a little break outside.” 

Yeah... It's time to take the Oscars out back and shoot them.  That trailer park moment was the show jumping the shark beyond any shadow of a doubt.

I'm impressed with Chris Rock though.  Kept the show moving despite what happened.  He's a true pro.

24 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

And yet here you are.......

Came for the gifs, staying for the inevitable Tailgate debate.  I'm here now, there's no turning back.

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's fair, but doesn't make sense to call out people that do care.

Why do you care?  

Will Smith also won Best Actor the same night?

C'mon, **** was staged. 

Ya'll are ridiculous. Oscars needs viewers and put out a WWE show. 

(there's zero chance I'd ever believe that wasn't staged btw) 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Or maybe he didn’t want to make a bad situation worse? 

Given how he reacted, that would be a very generous description. 

just like the idea he was a pro and handled it great

he appeared completely shook to me. 

which makes sense when someone attacks you on stage. 

25 minutes ago, tshile said:

chris rock is unsurprisingly clearly a chump. 

Dude is hosting an award show on live TV and Will takes unprecedented action by marching up there and slapping him in the face.

There is no chance Chris thought that was going to happen, he was clearly in shock along with everyone else.

Chris may be a chump, but that’s not the scenario I’d use to draw that conclusion.  Smith is clearly the chump for being so butthurt that he couldn’t contain his emotions  and made an absolute fool of himself.  

I’m certain Will had and will have numerous opportunities to square up with Chris while he’s not on stage on live TV.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Smith is clearly the chump for being so butthurt that he couldn’t contain his emotions  and made an absolute fool of himself.  

Oh I won’t argue that. 

im not exactly a will smith fan, with a high opinion of him. I’m not really one to follow Hollywood peoples lives anyways. 

If I were to bet money on a cage match I’ll take smith every day of the week. Could be wrong on that though 🤷‍♂️ 

I thought my wife's reaction was completely different from what I see in the media and on this board, but probably right on. She asked how Chris Rock (who did a whole show on Black womens' hair and what it means culturally) could think it OK to joke about another Black woman's hair, especially one with a medical condition causing it.  Check out Good Hair (HBO special hosted by Chris Rock), and you may get better idea why jokes about a black woman's hair are a bad idea.  It is worth watching to get a better idea if you don't know the culture and history behind Black women's hair styles. 

I wonder how many posting on here about how crazy it is to think they would be upset by jokes about it understand how much of a Black woman's social identity is tied up in their hair.  There may be more of a push now for natural hair looks, but that is very recent and not how that generation grew up.

Should he have hit him? No.  Should Chris Rock have known better? Yes.

Edited by gbear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah... It's time to take the Oscars out back and shoot them.  That trailer park moment was the show jumping the shark beyond any shadow of a doubt.

I'm impressed with Chris Rock though.  Kept the show moving despite what happened.  He's a true pro.

Wouldn't the trailer park moment been when a lot of people stood and cheered for known pedo Roman Polanski a few years back? Or when the streaker ran across in the 70s? Or when the native American woman was booed as she rejected Brando's Oscar and John Wayne wanted to kill her on stage but six security guards held him back?

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Oh I won’t argue that. 

im not exactly a will smith fan, with a high opinion of him. I’m not really one to follow Hollywood peoples lives anyways. 

If I were to bet money on a cage match I’ll take smith every day of the week. Could be wrong on that though 🤷‍♂️ 

Had this not happened, I wouldn't have even known the Oscars occurred last night.

I definitely didn't mean that I think Rock would win in a fight - just that I'd think most anyone would be left in shock had that happened to them.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I mean, I can say the same to you, right?

Let's let this go and move on, congrats in the baby.

Thank you.

But really, outside of funny gifs and memes, I don't care.  But you asked:  "Got to ask then: what is your recommended middle ground response to what Will did?"  

I'm not sure what you meant as a "response."  Did you mean it as something like, should the authorities press charges for assault?  Should the Academy revoke his award?   My response, ultimately doesn't matter.  Millions of tweets don't really matter, either.  I think there's only a few things that could happen to Will Smith from here on out that would impact him, namely getting arrested for assault (and let's be real, he's a rich guy, nothing happens to them) or the Academy taking his award away which is a dicey proposition. 

So I guess my recommended middle ground response to what he did is to just, as you said, let's let this go.  Academy should slap him on the wrist (no pun intended) and in a week or two we'll have all moved on to whatever other moment has captured our attention.  I believe it's in pretty much everyone involved's best interest to sweep this one under the rug, even if the internet is undefeated and will keep the gifs and memes going for a long time.  

Again, none of it really matters in the grand scheme of things...to me.  I still like Chris Rock and I still like Will Smith.  And yes @Dan T., I'm relating this to me because...well, I was asked what my recommended middle ground was.  

Its all good @Spaceman Spiff

My specific question to you was regarding the responses in this thread that I felt you were calling out, not what LAPD or Oscars or anyone involved should do going forward or right then and there.

But I really don't believe it's worth going back and forth about it, to some it matters, to others it doesn't, and that's fine.

At this point, I think I've said enough of my opinion on this topic and really can't add much more until I see Will's official reasoning for what he did and any word on if the two squash this issue in person.

My stance does remain that this does matter that Will did that.  Even if you are right, if you go about it the wrong way it'll be like you were never right in the first place.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Will Smith also won Best Actor the same night?

C'mon, **** was staged. 

Ya'll are ridiculous. Oscars needs viewers and put out a WWE show. 

(there's zero chance I'd ever believe that wasn't staged btw) 

What is the upside to Will Smith or Chris Rock?  There's zero reason for them to pull a stupid stunt like that.