Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

Russian operator to suspend electricity supply to Finland

Russian energy supplier RAO Nordic says it will suspend deliveries of electricity to Finland from Saturday, citing problems with payments.

The company said it had not been paid for previous deliveries.

The Finnish grid operator said Russia provided only a small percentage of the country's electricity and that it could be replaced from alternative sources.

On Thursday, Russia threatened to take "retaliatory steps" after Finland said it planned to join Nato.

Finland shares a 1,300-km (810-mile) border with Russia, and has previously stayed out of Nato to avoid antagonising its eastern neighbour. However, since Russia's invasion of Ukraine there has been a surge in public support for Nato membership.

On Sunday Finland is expected to formally announce its plan to join.

The decision by Rao Nordic has not been explicitly tied to Finland's decision.

The Russian state-owned firm said: "This situation is exceptional and happened for the first time in over twenty years of our trading history".

Click on the link for the full article

Sweden may not share a border with Russia, but having Sweden, Denmark and Norway in NATO means in any conflict, NATO can prevent any Russian ship from the Baltic fleet from leaving the Baltic Sea. Only the Arctic fleet will have access to the Atlantic, and that's only in warm months when it's not frozen over. (Turkey can close off the Black Sea). The only unfettered access would be for their Pacific fleet to travel around the south of Africa, unless Egypt agrees to give them safe passage through the Suez (not going to happen).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Sweden may not share a border with Russia, but having Sweden, Denmark and Norway in NATO means in any conflict, NATO can prevent any Russian ship from the Baltic fleet from leaving the Baltic Sea. Only the Arctic fleet will have access to the Atlantic, and that's only in warm months when it's not frozen over. (Turkey can close off the Black Sea). The only unfettered access would be for their Pacific fleet to travel around the south of Africa, unless Egypt agrees to give them safe passage through the Suez (not going to happen).

They has always been the case.  The only difference is a minor point of legality that Russian vessels would have to pass through Swedish territorial waters.  But it still amounts to boarding or opening fire on commercial traffic should Russia push the issue which is effectively an act of war.  Turkey for instance, is allowing commercial vessels to pass through the Bospurus.  Also there is the obvious issue of what flag the vessel flies under.  NATO might be in the position of having to block vessels from a neutral state (e.g, China or India)

5 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Surrendering… that’s your answer to everything, France.

That would be an interesting debate to have, but not on this topic.

Still, it's about trying to have a golden bridge for Putin to retreat and have an end to this nightmare. Considering the destruction that is going on in the Donbass and its vicinity, winner will be the owner of a chaos land. If Ukraine is not able to push back Russia there, this could be here for a long time. And I doubt it'll be as easy as said.

I'm still not sure Ukraine can sustain that for long. This will be a financial nightmare for them as well to keep the war going, as well for Russia. And past 2024 is kinda hazardous for Ukraine. Russia may be able to sustain up until there, but if there's a Republican President for the US? Wouldn't look great for Ukraine. What happens if Biden loses midterm? (Which seems to happen quite often?).

NATO are saying they'll keep on helping as long as it's needed for Ukraine, I wouldn't trust anybody on those words really. Democracies tend to changes their point of view easily.

At this point, I'm not sure there's a "win" for anybody waiting somewhere.

4 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

That would be an interesting debate to have, but not on this topic.

Still, it's about trying to have a golden bridge for Putin to retreat and have an end to this nightmare. Considering the destruction that is going on in the Donbass and its vicinity, winner will be the owner of a chaos land. If Ukraine is not able to push back Russia there, this could be here for a long time. And I doubt it'll be as easy as said.

I'm still not sure Ukraine can sustain that for long. This will be a financial nightmare for them as well to keep the war going, as well for Russia. And past 2024 is kinda hazardous for Ukraine. Russia may be able to sustain up until there, but if there's a Republican President for the US? Wouldn't look great for Ukraine. What happens if Biden loses midterm? (Which seems to happen quite often?).

NATO are saying they'll keep on helping as long as it's needed for Ukraine, I wouldn't trust anybody on those words really. Democracies tend to changes their point of view easily.

At this point, I'm not sure there's a "win" for anybody waiting somewhere.

Russia just had to wait.  The isn’t going to spend forever. No way a gop congress approves anymore money for Ukraine. 

Gop has more important things to do. Monthly impeachments.

Coup to remove cancer-stricken Putin underway in Russia, Ukrainian intelligence chief says

A coup is underway to oust Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is "very sick" due to cancer, according to Ukraine's head of military intelligence.

"It will eventually lead to the change of leadership of the Russian Federation. This process has already been launched and they are moving into that way," Ukrainian Major Gen. Kyrylo Budanov told the UK's Sky News in an exclusive interview.

An interviewer asked if a coup is underway, to which Budanov replied, "Yes. They are moving in this way and it is impossible to stop it."

Putin has cancer and other ailments, he said, dismissing the suggestion that he was spreading propaganda.

Click on the link for the full story

I'm gonna press X to doubt on that one.  Coups don't get leaked and then survive for long, unless Putin has already been functionally deposed and we are just waiting for someone to find the Swan Lake tape.

Because the moment a coup leaks to someone outside the coup circle, it means the leader the coup is against knows what's up and will go after those people.

More likely, they are leaking this disinfo to try and drive some wedges in the political scene in Russia by making Putin appear weak.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

More likely, they are leaking this disinfo to try and drive some wedges in the political scene in Russia by making Putin appear weak.

Or to make Putin kill a few dozen of his inner circle. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Russia just had to wait.  The isn’t going to spend forever. No way a gop congress approves anymore money for Ukraine. 

Gop has more important things to do. Monthly impeachments.

After the lend lease act was passed this gives the President wide authority to send equipment to Ukraine without Congressional approval.

And I doubt the GOP would backtrack on Ukraine that quickly.

10 hours ago, Epochalypse said:

I believe France has won more battles than any other country in history, FWIW.

The US won every battle in Vietnam

26 minutes ago, tshile said:

How does nato accept Sweden and Finland, but not ukraine?

Ukraine for all their heroism and admirable spirit, is more corrupt than Sweden or Finland.  They're working in the right direction, by all the evidence we have, but they weren't/aren't at the same level of development.  I think we are supporting them more than they probably expected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, tshile said:

How does nato accept Sweden and Finland, but not ukraine?

The issue with accepting Ukraine for a while has been that they don't have control of all of the territory that the claim.  In that way, they aren't truly a functional state and upon admittance could invoke Article 5.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1