Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

I had to admire the efforts in which one of my family is engaging.  He and his friends are leaving 5 star reviews of Russian restaurants on web pages like trip advisor.  In them, they are quoting new stories from the west about what is really going on in Ukraine.  The posts aren't getting taken down, and he knows from previous trips that the owners monitor their reviews.  They are doing it for Hotels and restaurants on all the travel sites they have used.  They figure it is one way to get news into Russia about what is happening.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

Ha!

No one here is a geopolitical expert, we're all jus watching and yappin and trying to assemble a jigsaw puzzle missing pieces with no picture on the box.

But it is entertaining.

The biggest mistakes get made by "experts", I am sure that Pootin' has a slew of experts that told him this was a great idea

That was sarcasm :) 

3 minutes ago, gbear said:

I had to admire the efforts in which one of my family is engaging.  He and his friends are leaving 5 star reviews of Russian restaurants on web pages like trip advisor.  In them, they are quoting new stories from the west about what is really going on in Ukraine.  The posts aren't getting taken down, and he knows from previous trips that the owners monitor their reviews.  They are doing it for Hotels and restaurants on all the travel sites they have used.  They figure it is one way to get news into Russia about what is happening.  

Yeah this has been a trending thing on Twitter. 

they’re also leaving links and phone numbers for Russians to find out if any of their sons are captured, confirmed killed, or to reach out to their sons to talk to them etc. 

ukrainians seem to be crushing the whole humanitarian thing, and it seems to be completely organic and genuine (and not staged by the government, if you know what I mean)

• Like 7

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall – think of it – always.” Gandhi

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

Ha!

No one here is a geopolitical expert, we're all jus watching and yappin and trying to assemble a jigsaw puzzle missing pieces with no picture on the box.

But it is entertaining.

The biggest mistakes get made by "experts", I am sure that Pootin' has a slew of experts that told him this was a great idea

No, I'm sure he has a slew of experts that, like the intelligence chief, he told to tell him this would be a great idea. Sadly for them, Putin won't see it that way. Enjoy that polonium tea guys!

• Like 1

UK announces first wave of sanctions against Belarus

The UK has announced its first wave of sanctions against senior military figures in Belarus specifically for their role in joining and facilitating the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The Belarusian chief of the general staff, Maj Gen Victor Gulevich, and three other deputy defence ministers will all face sanctions, along with two military enterprises.

The EU – with which the UK has been working in close cooperation over sanctions – is likely to take similar measures. Belarus has been used as a base for Russian soldiers to pour into Ukraine. Soldiers from the Belarus army have joined the invasion.

The Foreign Office described Gulevich as responsible for directing the actions of the Belarusian armed forces, which have supported and enabled the Russian invasion of Ukraine. “He has directed joint military exercises with Russia, and consented to the deployment of Russian troops along the border of Belarus with Ukraine, which has directly contributed to Russia’s ability to attack Ukraine, including from positions in Belarus,” the Foreign Office said.

The two state enterprises being sanctioned by the UK are JSC 558 Aircraft Repair Plant and JSC Integral, a military semiconductor manufacturer. JSC 558 provides maintenance and servicing to military aircraft at Baranovichi airbase, from which Russian aircraft operated as part of the invasion.

The UK has already sanctioned more than 100 Belarus government members for throwing thousands of citizens into jail for protesting stolen elections in August 2020, and there are now signs that the US is willing to use the power of the dollar to start crashing the Belarus economy in the way that has been attempted with the Russian economy.

The US Treasury this week designated two large state-owned banks in Belarus, Belinvestbank and Dabrabyt, as subject to sanctions. It has already imposed five waves of sanctions on Belarus and claims to have sanctioned 24 Belarusian individuals and entities specifically in response to Belarus’s support for and facilitation of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Zelensky assassination plot foiled, Ukrainian authorities say

Ukrainian National Security and Defense Council chief Oleksiy Danilov announced during a briefing Tuesday that Ukrainian forces had foiled an assassination plot against President Volodymyr Zelensky, according to a Telegram post from Ukrainian authorities.

Why it matters: Zelensky has said since the start of Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine that he would be a prime target for assassination. Last Thursday, he warned that Russian "sabotage groups" had entered Kyiv and were hunting for him and his family.

The big picture: According to the Telegram message, Danilov said that a unit of elite Chechen special forces, known as Kadyrovites, had been behind the plot and had subsequently been "eliminated."

"We are well aware of the special operation that was to take place directly by the Kadyrovites to eliminate our president," Danilov said, per the post.

Ukrainian authorities had been tipped off about the plot by members of Russia's Federal Security Service who do not support the war, he added.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Like 1

More on the Zelensky assassination attempt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/02/zelensky-russia-ukraine-assassination-attempt-foiled/

“We are well aware of the special operation that was to take place directly by the Kadyrovites to eliminate our president. And I can say that we have received information from the FSB, who today do not want to take part in this bloody war,” Danilov said. “And thanks to this, the ‘Kadyrov’ elite group was destroyed, which came here to eliminate our president.”

Hard to tell if the tip-off from the FSB is propaganda from the Ukrainians, but huge if true. 

• Like 5

What an interesting way to prove to Russians that this war is indeed real.

"We, Ukrainian people, in contrast to Putin's fascists do not make war with mothers and their captured sons," the defense ministry said. "We are waiting for you in Kyiv!"

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-asks-russian-mothers-pick-up-captured-troops-putin-invasion-2022-3

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 11:46 AM, Fan since a Fetus said:

Send in @Jumbo . He'll take care of that real quick.

truth, and i would use a real hammer on that shrimpy cowardly pansy-ass 'fake tae kwon do/judo'  ****head who runs the whole shindig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3