Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

12 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Get rid of them both. Del Rio has been frustratingly bad at times, and Jackson isn't worth what he's getting paid. 

I agree with getting rid of Del Rio and if we’re stuck with Jackson, maybe use him in the proper way. Instead of benching, use him for what he is good at. Don’t be so bullish on your scheme that you cannot adjust to the players you have.

But getting rid of both doesn’t really answer the question if he’s being used differently than before he came to Washington. This team is notorious for sticking a round peg in a square hole. 

if he’s mainly a man press corner and he doesn’t fit a zone scheme, then maybe he’s not really the problem. Just my two cents and my cents could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Wasnt Jackson a man press corner with the Bengals and now we use him in more zone?

If that's the case, maybe Jackson isn't the one who should be benched. Maybe Del Rio for not adjusting the scheme to fit the players or the people that brought Jackson in should be benched.

We’ve tried Jackson in both man and zone, the only thing he’s consistent at is getting burnt, looking confused, and celebrating QB overthrows.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Wasnt Jackson a man press corner with the Bengals and now we use him in more zone?

If that's the case, maybe Jackson isn't the one who should be benched. Maybe Del Rio for not adjusting the scheme to fit the players or the people that brought Jackson in should be benched.

He’s been terrible in man as well. He started playing better last season when they tasked him with less man and more zone, for whatever reason, I’m pretty sure. 

edit: sorry I see others have said the same! 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wonder if the Bengals might be interested in a trade to bring Jackson back.  There have been plenty of free agents who succeeded in one place, failed in a second, then regained some of their success when they went back

Did the team work anyone out today?  Cause we have Cosmi on IR, but the OL we signed was to the practice squad so Cosmi's spot is still open

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

wonder if the Bengals might be interested in a trade to bring Jackson back.  There have been plenty of free agents who succeeded in one place, failed in a second, then regained some of their success when they went back

Did the team work anyone out today?  Cause we have Cosmi on IR, but the OL we signed was to the practice squad so Cosmi's spot is still open

I think the Bengals have a new coaching staff since Jackson was there, right? 

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

I think the Bengals have a new coaching staff since Jackson was there, right? 

no.  Trust me, we'd all know if they did because the amount of "Holy ****, this guy took the previous regimes No 1 draft pick QB and his torn ACL, and took the team from 4-11-1 to the Super Bowl the next year!" would have been non-stop

They have the same head coach and defensive coordintor, though they did change up the secondary going from Steve Jackson coaching all DBs to Charles Burks coaching CBs and Robert Livingston coaching safeties.  So the people he'd be directly under are different, but the guys directing the scheme are the same.

• Thanks 1

While we spent 30m and a draft pick on Wentz for no return. These franchises are so far apart in how they operate, it's almost comical. Eagles are super aggressive, take swing after swing and still manage to hedge their risk in an impressive way. It's how the NFL works these days and they take advantage of teams like ours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Panninho said:

While we spent 30m and a draft pick on Wentz for no return. These franchises are so far apart in how they operate, it's almost comical. Eagles are super aggressive, take swing after swing and still manage to hedge their risk in an impressive way. It's how the NFL works these days and they take advantage of teams like ours.

Roseman did a great job of putting that roster together in the offseason while Sirianni and the coaching staff developed Hurts in the offseason from a QB who worse than Lamar with with Ravens into an above average to pretty good QB.  This coaching staff and FO has ZERO clue about how to assemble a roster and develop players. 

My objection is Ron n keeps crying poor when Philly is kicking our asses with 62 million in dead money . Let that sink in. Philly has put their roster together and has significant cap challenges, and our coach/GM keeps feeding us this line of cap poverty. 

He has to go…… now!

BTW…. We have 7 million in dead cap.

36 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

My objection is Ron n keeps crying poor when Philly is kicking our asses with 62 million in dead money . Let that sink in. Philly has put their roster together and has significant cap challenges, and our coach/GM keeps feeding us this line of cap poverty. 

He has to go…… now!

BTW…. We have 7 million in dead cap.

As its been pointed out with various examples and hinted heavily at by beat guys, Dan likely has much to do with this frugal budget. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

lol.  You won't let go.  

It's strange that you won't let go -- very few push back on this.  Reporters have actually been suggesting this.  It's not my own theory that I am pulling from thin air. 

But lets say no reporter suggested that is the case at all.  The logic alone is a bit nuts.  For Rivera to self impose his own dracoanian budget on himself would be wacky and strange -- it doesn't fit Carolina and it doesn't fit at all what a coach centric operation does.  The large part of the plot of the downside of a coach centric operation is the coach cares about now not later. Now = job security. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's strange that you won't let go -- very few push back on this.  Reporters have actually been suggesting this.  It's not my own theory that I am pulling from thin air. 

But lets say no reporter suggested that is the case at all.  The logic alone is a bit nuts.  For Rivera to self impose his own dracoanian budget on himself would be wacky and strange -- it doesn't fit Carolina and it doesn't fit at all what a coach centric operation does.  The large part of the plot of the downside of a coach centric operation is the coach cares about now not later. Now = job security. 

I’m also one of the few to push back on this. Philly has a cash spend 5% higher than ours this year. Almost nothing. Cowboys and Giants less than us.

I thought our FA approach was very poor. I’m inclined to think Rivera over estimated how good his self complied roster was. Sure looks that way.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Unless I missed it; there has not been a shred of evidence/reporting that Snyder gave Rivera a budget that he can't go over under any circumstance.

I've heard Standig and others speculate on that because they can't believe how thin we are at certain positions, but that's all it is.  Just speculation.

Like I mentioned previously, if there was a budget, then it's complete negligence on Rivera's part for taking on the entire Wentz contract.

I don't think Teflon Ron was/is worried about his job.   

2 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Like I mentioned previously, if there was a budget, then it's complete negligence on Rivera's part for taking on the entire Wentz contract.

I think that is a very fair and logical point. Our available 2022 cash spend and cap hit was largely absorbed on the Wentz deal. If that blew any kind of ‘budget’....bad financial management, not to mention bad roster management.

That said, I don’t buy the budget narrative personally. It’s a lame media line.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As its been pointed out with various examples and hinted heavily at by beat guys, Dan likely has much to do with this frugal budget. 

I don’t believe that one bit! That man has been making millions from just the team for 20 plus years.

NOW HE’S POOR? Gtfo!

1 minute ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I don’t believe that one bit! That man has been making millions from just the team for 20 plus years.

NOW HE’S POOR? Gtfo!

Having to buy out the minority stake using debt means that his cash flows are now a lot different than they were in 2020 because he now has to service the debt. It is basic math.

Edited by method man