Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who said he's broke?

I know somewhat set up a thread ridiculing the idea that Dan has a budget with this team by setting up a strawman argument about the topic translates to broke versus not broke.  The idea IMO was ridiculous but I gather that was part of the point of the strawman set up. 

The dude has billions.  Some say much of which are tied into assets but still billions.  But the idea that he's been cheap with his money has been well documented especially of late. 

Most agree that Dan has been cheap here, plenty of examples of it, some push back on that.  Neither side knows for sure.  My take is too many reporters I trust have offered the thought this off season and too many specific examples of Dan being cheap some of which was even documented in legal documents in court -- where the dude indeed cares about a million here and a million there. Heck you can argue the name change happened from Dan being cheap when he forgoed payments to the minority owners which instigated their wrath and things snowballed from there. 

Usually the house bet isn't on unflattering narratives about Dan being proven false and he ends up vindicated.  If we went to Vegas house money would be betting against Dan not with him.   Usually the press rumors and nuggets of information that lead to the same conclusion about Dan end up right, not wrong.  But once in a blue moon Dan is vindicated, I'll grant.

What's my best guess here?

Dan indeed gave Ron a budget before the season.  Ron met most of it on Wentz.    And he made his bed thereby and was stuck being cheap elsewhere.

I get the idea is people are frustrated and want their anger directed squarely at Ron.  On this front, I don't absolve Ron.  If he was given a budget, and Wentz consumed almost all of it, then he made his bed.  But it also sucks that we got an owner IMO who is bad in just about everyway possible -- at least when the dude was younger eons back, the dude was willing to spend, but pretty much for the last 10 plus years he's been cheap as heck. 

I say Ron is doing this dumb **** all by himself. Responsible cap management. 

Truly, who does that sound like. Ron or Dan?

3 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I say Ron is doing this dumb **** all by himself. Responsible cap management. 

Truly, who does that sound like. Ron or Dan?

Totally sounds like Dan.    The early free spending Dan has been dead and buried for a long time.  it's not 2005 anymore. 

It's Dan's money not Rons.  For the spender to be frugal versus the dude with actually the purse strings would be wild and strange.  Doesn't fit what happened in Carolina and it fits Dan to a tee especially in recent years. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ron would be the first head coach I can think of that would willfully choose not to move money around and spend money to load up his roster.

That in combination with everything else Dan has going on, doesn’t make it hard for me to believe that Ron had to work within the confines of a budget.

My guess is it’s the unfortunate combo of working on a budget with constraints and Ron overestimating the talent he had at LB, and overvaluing Norwell and Turner, not realizing both are washed. 

Y’all falling for the lie. RON is doing this on purpose. Simple restructuring cost nothing but time.

To sit there and believe that we have some incredible financial problems that we can’t overcome,while banking millions of dollars in revenue is just mind boggling, truly mind blogging.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Totally sounds like Dan.    The early free spending Dan has been dead and buried for a long time.  it's not 2005 anymore. 

It's Dan's money not Rons.  For the spender to be frugal versus the dude with actually the purse strings would be wild and strange.  Doesn't fit what happened in Carolina and it fits Dan to a tee especially in recent years. 

Seriously sounds like Dan , to not spend money? You’re lying to yourself to make an argument.

4 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Y’all falling for the lie. RON is doing this on purpose. Simple restructuring cost nothing but time.

To sit there and believe that we have some incredible financial problems that we can’t overcome,while banking millions of dollars in revenue is just mind boggling, truly mind blogging.

What lie?  Ron hasn’t even so much as alluded to being put on any budget.

Seriously sounds like Dan , to not spend money? You’re lying to yourself to make an argument.

Where have you been the past decade?  The “Dan will spare no expense to win” narrative was debunked long ago.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Did he truly overvalue or was he just hopeful they would work out sicne it was the best he could do? Turner signed a 1 yr $3M contract, and Norwell's is $10M over 2 yrs but only $4.7M gauanteed. Not exactly bank breaking. You have to know what youj are getting. I bleieve he was more hopeful than expectant. But it's jsut a guess. 

Last year Matsko looked as if he could make a solid O-line out of just about anyone healthy enough to show up.  I imagine RR thought he would be able to do the same this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Again, I do think Ron is culpable. But so is Dan is all likelihood.  If i am a kid and my parents give me $30 to spend at the store and I spent most of it on one piece of candy and that piece of candy sucks, then I miscalculated. The jury is still out on Wentz but its not off to a hot start.  But I do strongly suspect that the beat guys are correct about the budget, plenty of evidence plays into it

With all due respect you really seem to want to avoid the actual facts. I’ve said numerous times that our cash spend is not bottom of the pack territory. It is actually more than 2 of our divisional rivals. And close to that of Philly.

We rank 6th across the league in cash spend on offense. That ranking is #1 league wide at wide receiver. 

On the flip side our cash spend is much lower on the defence, in particular at LB which ranks #31 in the league. Not sure anyone can blaming the useless owner for our woes at LB to be honest.

As much as I dislike Dan, the poor state/composition of the roster appears to clearly have Ron (and his merry band of advisors) finger prints all over it. 

Pretty much everyone in business operates to a budget. I’ve worked in finance for three decades. That’s a basic requisite. If you look at the numbers instead of reading the media Twitter feeds you will get the finer details on roster cash outlay.

• Like 2

What lie?  Ron hasn’t even so much as alluded to being put on any budget.

Where have you been the past decade?  The “Dan will spare no expense to win” narrative was debunked long ago.

So Dan didn’t spend like a drunken sailor? It’s Ron not pushing money into future. 

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

So Dan didn’t spend like a drunken sailor? It’s Ron not pushing money into future. 

What year are you from, man? That hasn’t been true for a decade. And even then he only spent in very particular ways—our facilities are horrible, he had a middle school cafeteria setup until Shanahan insisted on change so the players had a proper dietary program, it took him a decade longer than it should have to be convinced we needed to spend on a practice bubble, it’s well known he doesn’t offer competitive salaries to assistant coaches and we’ve lost people to other organizations due to that. It’s also well known we’ve consistently had one of the smallest scouting staffs in the league behind only the Bengals. He cut back on travel perks for players just recently, which is a new low.

The dude has ALWAYS been cheap—he only was cool spending big $$ on a few outside FA’s on the top 10% of the roster and on the HC because those were the most

visible pieces to sell tickets. Underneath all that he’s ALWAYS been cheap as hell and we’ve been talking about it here for literally 15 years. And now the big FA signings have mostly dried up too. 

You come across like a fan that just tuned back in from 2010. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

With all due respect you really seem to want to avoid the actual facts. I’ve said numerous times that our cash spend is not bottom of the pack territory. It is actually more than 2 of our divisional rivals. And close to that of Philly.

We rank 6th across the league in cash spend on offense. That ranking is #1 league wide at wide receiver. 

On the flip side our cash spend is much lower on the defence, in particular at LB which ranks #31 in the league. Not sure anyone can blaming the useless owner for our woes at LB to be honest.

As much as I dislike Dan, the poor state/composition of the roster appears to clearly have Ron (and his merry band of advisors) finger prints all over it. 

Pretty much everyone in business operates to a budget. I’ve worked in finance for three decades. That’s a basic requisite. If you look at the numbers instead of reading the media Twitter feeds you will get the finer details on roster cash outlay.

I among others have given a zillion examples of Dan being cheap.  Reporters who have covered the team have talked about it.   it's come out in some of Dan's legal dealings as for him crying about COVID's effect on his finances among other things. 

But I know you are not going to be convinced.  You aren't going to convince me.  You think i am ignoring the facts.  I think you are ignoring the facts.  So lets not waste each others time.  You aren't convincing me. i am not convincing you. 

Cash ranked according to Spotac.  Regardless its not my point.  My point is at THIS given time, at THIS moment circumstances are different for Dan.  So even if I ran with the idea that Dan spent like a drunken sailor a year ago, its not my point.   He owes a lot of money after buying out his minority owners.  He needs to splash a lot of cash to buy a stadium.  His situation is different now than years ago.  If you disagree, cool. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 5.32.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 5.32.51 PM.png

4 hours ago, Conn said:

What year are you from, man? That hasn’t been true for a decade. And even then he only spent in very particular ways—our facilities are horrible, he had a middle school cafeteria setup until Shanahan insisted on change so the players had a proper dietary program, it took him a decade longer than it should have to be convinced we needed to spend on a practice bubble, it’s well known he doesn’t offer competitive salaries to assistant coaches and we’ve lost people to other organizations due to that. It’s also well known we’ve consistently had one of the smallest scouting staffs in the league behind only the Bengals. He cut back on travel perks for players just recently, which is a new low.

The dude has ALWAYS been cheap—he only was cool spending big $$ on a few outside FA’s on the top 10% of the roster and on the HC because those were the most

visible pieces to sell tickets. Underneath all that he’s ALWAYS been cheap as hell and we’ve been talking about it here for literally 15 years. And now the big FA signings have mostly dried up too. 

You come across like a fan that just tuned back in from 2010. 

I didn’t say he wasn’t cheap. What I’m arguing is just accounting. The cap isn’t real. There isn’t some bottom of the barrel fund.

What you’re saying is the Washington Commanders can’t use a different accounting, like the rest of the NFL.

How stupid does that sound?

What NFL Team Is Spending the Most Money in 2022?

When discussing how NFL teams spend their money on players, the conversation typically turns to the annual salary cap, which is set at $208.2 million for the 2022 season.

But we all know the cap can be manipulated, and plenty of teams spend far more than the cap number each and every season. Contracts are restructured to avoid too much money counting against the cap. Signing bonuses are a simple way to get around the cap.

For example, if a player receives a $20 million signing bonus on a four-year deal, he typically collects that cash in one lump sum when the contract is inked. But when it comes to the salary cap, it’s usually split up evenly over the life of the deal. So, in this case, only five million would count against the cap each season.

So with that in mind, we wanted to see how much every NFL team is spending in 2022. Not what each team is spending against the cap, but what every franchise is dishing out in pure cash.

Here’s a look at what all 32 NFL teams are spending in total cash on players for the 2022 season.

1. Los Angeles Rams: $272,107,966
  2. Buffalo Bills: $267,566,979
  3. Cleveland Browns: $260,889,731
  4. New Orleans Saints: $259,641,883
  5. New York Jets: $258,914,265
  6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $258,790,327
  7. Los Angeles Chargers: $251,048,697
  8. Green Bay Packers: $250,134,643
  9. Jacksonville Jaguars: $246,486,233
  10. Denver Broncos: $236,010,123
  11. Carolina Panthers: $233,254,872
  12. Miami Dolphins: $229,276,719
  13. Seattle Seahawks: $225,281,813
  14. Detroit Lions: $221,696,185
  15. Minnesota Vikings: $220,185,515
  16. Pittsburgh Steelers: $219,180,263
  17. Arizona Cardinals: $217,734,596
  18. Baltimore Ravens: $217,523,945
  19. Tennessee Titans: $217,074,230
  20. Philadelphia Eagles: $215,845,813
  21. San Francisco 49ers: $213,863,367
  22. Las Vegas Raiders: $213,296,825
  23. Washington Commanders: $206,883,085
  24. Kansas City Chiefs: $206,384,457
  25. Houston Texans: $203,196,247
  26. New England Patriots: $193,579,809
  27. Indianapolis Colts: $193,118,643
  28. Cincinnati Bengals: $188,842,769
  29. New York Giants: $187,836,041
  30. Dallas Cowboys: $182,877,238
  31. Atlanta Falcons: $155,137,314
  32. Chicago Bears: $137,582,729

https://www.sportscasting.com/what-nfl-team-spending-most-money-2022/

6 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I think you are in a time warp.  This isn't Batman and Robin -- Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato running the team anymore. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What NFL Team Is Spending the Most Money in 2022?

When discussing how NFL teams spend their money on players, the conversation typically turns to the annual salary cap, which is set at $208.2 million for the 2022 season.

But we all know the cap can be manipulated, and plenty of teams spend far more than the cap number each and every season. Contracts are restructured to avoid too much money counting against the cap. Signing bonuses are a simple way to get around the cap.

For example, if a player receives a $20 million signing bonus on a four-year deal, he typically collects that cash in one lump sum when the contract is inked. But when it comes to the salary cap, it’s usually split up evenly over the life of the deal. So, in this case, only five million would count against the cap each season.

So with that in mind, we wanted to see how much every NFL team is spending in 2022. Not what each team is spending against the cap, but what every franchise is dishing out in pure cash.

Here’s a look at what all 32 NFL teams are spending in total cash on players for the 2022 season.

1. Los Angeles Rams: $272,107,966
  2. Buffalo Bills: $267,566,979
  3. Cleveland Browns: $260,889,731
  4. New Orleans Saints: $259,641,883
  5. New York Jets: $258,914,265
  6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $258,790,327
  7. Los Angeles Chargers: $251,048,697
  8. Green Bay Packers: $250,134,643
  9. Jacksonville Jaguars: $246,486,233
  10. Denver Broncos: $236,010,123
  11. Carolina Panthers: $233,254,872
  12. Miami Dolphins: $229,276,719
  13. Seattle Seahawks: $225,281,813
  14. Detroit Lions: $221,696,185
  15. Minnesota Vikings: $220,185,515
  16. Pittsburgh Steelers: $219,180,263
  17. Arizona Cardinals: $217,734,596
  18. Baltimore Ravens: $217,523,945
  19. Tennessee Titans: $217,074,230
  20. Philadelphia Eagles: $215,845,813
  21. San Francisco 49ers: $213,863,367
  22. Las Vegas Raiders: $213,296,825
  23. Washington Commanders: $206,883,085
  24. Kansas City Chiefs: $206,384,457
  25. Houston Texans: $203,196,247
  26. New England Patriots: $193,579,809
  27. Indianapolis Colts: $193,118,643
  28. Cincinnati Bengals: $188,842,769
  29. New York Giants: $187,836,041
  30. Dallas Cowboys: $182,877,238
  31. Atlanta Falcons: $155,137,314
  32. Chicago Bears: $137,582,729

https://www.sportscasting.com/what-nfl-team-spending-most-money-2022/

How do you defend Rivera taking on the entire Wentz contract?

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't.   We've been through this on another thread and I even talked about it on this thread so either you aren't reading my responses or just want to debate just to debate?

I must have missed it.  Some of your responses are quite long :)

Ron also thought he was being smart by saving a lot on the Guard position with two guys he knew.  Unfortunately, those two guys aren't the same players he had in Carolina. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

How do you defend Rivera taking on the entire Wentz contract?

He could have restructured that contract without Wentz approval. Effectively  lowering his cap number for this year, RON choose not to do this.

This is accounting, nothing more. Cheap has nothing to do with this.

He could have restructured that contract without Wentz approval. Effectively  lowering his cap number for this year, RON choose not to do this.

This is accounting, nothing more. Cheap has nothing to do with this.

He could have gotten the Colts to eat at least half the contract and I believe cap savings would be included in that without any re-structuring.

Edited by FLSkinz83

10 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I must have missed it.  Some of your responses are quite long :)

Ron also thought he was being smart by saving a lot on the Guard position with two guys he knew.  Unfortunately, those two guys aren't the same players he had in Carolina. 

Cool. i'll say it again.  My thought is the following.  And lol, yes it is based on beat guys talking about it in the off season, coupled with Dan showcasing being even cheaper than he usually he is.  So I buy it.  I am not saying i know 100%.  no way to know for sure.  But enough material for me to add to that conclusion.

It's not that Dan likely told Ron not to spend.  He gave him a budget.  And Ron spent almost every dime of that on Wentz.

The analogy I used is a parent gives a kid money to spend in a candy store and they spend almost every dime on one piece of candy.  If so that piece of candy better be good.

If Wentz fails that's 100% on Ron.  If he was given a budget as some presume and he spent it almost all on Wentz, that's on Ron.   I was cool with Wentz but I was on the record in the off season that Ballard got the better end of that deal -- as to salary and picks, etc.  

But at the same time I wish we had an owner like a Kroenke who is willing to spend.  

I didn't like old school Dan much either.  But I'd take old school Dan over this version of him.  in his younger years, he at least was willing to spend.  The cheaper version of Dan which we've been stuck with for years -- to me is sadder than the younger version of him. 

Old school Dan would break the bank to pay assistant coaches like Gregg Williams.  New school Dan would lose assistant coaches like Pleasant to the Rams because he didn't want to give him a raise and the Rams would give him a raise or Jay would have Dan at hello in his job interview when he told him he would keep Haz because he hates eating coaches salaries.  On and on and on. 

2 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

He could have gotten the Colts to eat at least half the contract and I believe cap savings would be included in that without any re-structuring.

Well that’s a different can of worms.

Ron is a terrible GM. Acquiring Wentz was an ok deal but, paying his entire salary? Plus all the draft capital? Ron doesn’t have a clue about how to negotiate from a position of strength.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cool. i'll say it again.  My thought is the following.  And lol, yes it is based on beat guys talking about it in the off season, coupled with Dan showcasing being even cheaper than he usually he is.  So I buy it.  I am not saying i know 100%.  no way to know for sure.  But enough material for me to add to that conclusion.

It's not that Dan likely told Ron not to spend.  He gave him a budget.  And Ron spent almost every dime of that on Wentz.

The analogy I used is a parent gives a kid money to spend in a candy store and they spend almost every dime on one piece of candy.  If so that piece of candy better be good.

If Wentz fails that's 100% on Ron.  If he was given a budget as some presume and he spent it almost all on Wentz, that's on Ron.   I was cool with Wentz but I was on the record in the off season that Ballard got the better end of that deal -- as to salary and picks, etc.  

But at the same time I wish we had an owner like a Kroenke who is willing to spend.  

I didn't like old school Dan much either.  But I'd take old school Dan over this version of him.  in his younger years, he at least was willing to spend.  The cheaper version of Dan which we've been stuck with for years -- to me is sadder than the younger version of him. 

Old school Dan would break the bank to pay assistant coaches like Gregg Williams.  New school Dan would lose assistant coaches like Pleasant to the Rams because he didn't want to give him a raise and the Rams would give him a raise or Jay would have Dan at hello in his job interview when he told him he would keep Haz because he hates eating coaches salaries.  On and on and on. 

Damn man, you keep talking about Dan being cheap! 

Do you understand ACCOUNTING, that’s all we’re talking about. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Wentz fails that's 100% on Ron.  If he was given a budget as some presume and he spent it almost all on Wentz, that's on Ron. 

Old school Dan would break the bank to pay assistant coaches like Gregg Williams.  New school Dan would lose assistant coaches like Pleasant to the Rams because he didn't want to give him a raise and the Rams would give him a raise or Jay would have Dan at hello when he told him he would keep Haz because he hates eating coaches salaries.  On and on and on. 

I don't doubt that he's cut some costs...Richmond, perks, etc...I don't believe he's become cheap when it comes to the roster.   I just think Bruce and now Ron manage the cap differently.

It's just amazing to me how we've gone from Dan being the off-season champion to now becoming Mike Brown cheap.

I think what's really happening is that people need another angle to attack Dan because they know he's not meddling with Ron.

Edited by FLSkinz83

7 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Agree.  Browns had to eat for example most of Baker's salary.  We ate squat.

As for punting the salary into the future.  If I understand the process right, you have to convert that money to a signing bonus and in turn the owner would have to pay more up front cash.  Plus you experience some cap pain later which I'd be OK with.

But the easier way to deal with it is not be saddled with the full salary to begin with. 

IMO Ron will live or die by the sword and that sword is Wentz. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  Browns had to eat for example most of Baker's salary.  We ate squat.

As for punting the salary into the future.  If I understand the process right, you have to convert that money to a signing bonus and in turn the owner would have to pay more up front cash.  Plus you experience some cap pain later which I'd be OK with.

But the easier way to deal with it is not be saddled with the full salary to begin with. 

IMO Ron will live or die by the sword and that sword is Wentz. 

As an example, when we traded for Ereck Flowers last year, the Dolphins ate most of the contract/cap space.   He was only counting a few million on our cap even though his salary was like 10 million.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Well that’s a different can of worms.

Ron is a terrible GM. Acquiring Wentz was an ok deal but, paying his entire salary? Plus all the draft capital? Ron doesn’t have a clue about how to negotiate from a position of strength.

Damn man, you keep talking about Dan being cheap! 

Do you understand ACCOUNTING, that’s all we’re talking about. 

OK, explain to me the accounting of how punting a contract into the future which almost always involves signing bonuses/guaranteed money doesn't effect Dan's immediate bottom line?  It's just moving numbers-simple accounting?  

11 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

As an example, when we traded for Ereck Flowers last year, the Dolphins ate most of the contract/cap space.   He was only counting a few million on our cap even though his salary was like 10 million.  

Sure.  I am not debating the point.  I said on the Wentz thread months ago, Ballard got the better end of that deal.  i didn't mind Wentz as a roll of the dice.  But I thought we lost the acutal deal versus won it. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, explain to me the accounting of how punting a contract into the future which almost always involves signing bonuses/guaranteed money doesn't effect Dan's immediate bottom line?  It's just moving numbers-simple accounting?  

All of these numbers can change in an instant if the Commanders’ decision-makers use the option that is available to them under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. They can create $13m in 2022 cap space by converting $19.5m of Wentz’s base salary into signing bonus, and they don’t need his permission.

I will agree it’s a cash transaction but I will never believe he doesn’t have the money to run the franchise. Honestly he would have to be the poorest rich owner on the planet.

5 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

All of these numbers can change in an instant if the Commanders’ decision-makers use the option that is available to them under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. They can create $13m in 2022 cap space by converting $19.5m of Wentz’s base salary into signing bonus, and they don’t need his permission.

I will agree it’s a cash transaction but I will never believe he doesn’t have the money to run the franchise. Honestly he would have to be the poorest rich owner on the planet.

It's not about being poor its about being cheap.   Converting 19.5 million from what I understand means Dan has to pony up that money right away into escrow versus zero of that money.

So the same dude who is cheap over a million here and a million there -- puts up 20 million without a care in the world?  I'd believe it if it were someone like Kroencke -- that's how he rolls. But for Dan that's hasn't been his drill compared to some.  Heck this team for awhile has prided itself on doing contracts with rare exceptions with only 2 years guaranteed money -- hence not much cash-escrow money involved up front at all.

In the old days, the Cerrato days, they'd do it a lot.  But for the last 10 years or so especially recently, Dan hasn't rolled that way and seems to be getting cheaper each year.  

• Like 1