Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yall talking about scrambling around to push whatever money we can into the future, so we can sign the last of the FAs off the heap and for what? 

We'll run what we brung and do the best we can and then load up next offseason. Our offense is pretty set minus some IOL depth.

Save the money for our SB run next year.

This team has to make the playoffs at a minimum to have a chance to attract good free agents for next season. I am all spending whatever remaining cap is left on veteran FAs vs carrying over a couple million in cap into next year

Keim in his podcast said

A.  They've checked in on some of the marquee names that fans bring up as to whose left in FA.

B.  Some want too much money.  Keim said he heard Suh wants 8 million a year

C.  Most holding out for ideal situations and hinted that they don't see this place as an attractive place to play.

In short, he gives the vibe that they have to pay more than other teams to talk some of these FAs to come here

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim in his podcast said

A.  They've checked in on some of the marquee names that fans bring up as to whose left in FA.

B.  Some want too much money.  Keim said he heard Suh wants 8 million a year

C.  Most holding out for ideal situations and don't see this place as an attractive place to play.

In short, he gives the vibe that they have to pay more than other teams to talk some of these FAs to come here

The bottom statement is sad, but absolutely true.  Can't blame a FA prospect for staying away, at this point.  We need to win to flip the script.  Darkness prevails over this team, unfortunately.  

• Thumb up 1

That's above what we could afford without reworking stuff and as others have said he would probably have cost us even more than that. Even a move to save a couple million in cap would leave us nearly completely broke after trying to get a deal like that to work out. 

Unless a dude is cool playing for Vet min or dang near close to it...

Word on the streets is JPP wanted a million in cash in small unmarked bills hand delivered to his penthouse along with an 8 piece bucket of original recipe KFC and two large sides just to get him to agree to answer the phone when the Commanders called with no guarantees that he would sign with us.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No, Ben Standig, I do not find that interesting. Why, you ask? Oh, I'll tell you:

1) Our FO has no interest in signing anyone that would replace Holcomb. Holcomb is a team favorite, along with McCain. They will do everything in their power to keep them on the field. Right, wrong or indifferent they seem to trust those guys.

2) We, somehow, don't have cap space.

3) The Raiders want to get better. We are hoping to develop players. But we also don't want to rebuild. So we are trying to win now and rebuild at the same time and we are doing fairly well at development as a whole but the win now part is struggling. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KDawg said:

3) The Raiders want to get better. We are hoping to develop players. But we also don't want to rebuild. So we are trying to win now and rebuild at the same time and we are doing fairly well at development as a whole but the win now part is struggling. 

Keim and Standig both have said they've poked at signing players including at LB but their targets didn't poke back.  I give them a harder time for the draft where they've had oppotunities to address the spot, though Davis is a LB but not a traditional middle LB.

But yeah you are right they are trying to thread the needle of a rebuild while trying to win now at the same time.  They've drafted fairly well.  The Dotson trade down was a nice one as to building draft capital.  But by and large the Eagles for example are schoolling this FO as to how to win now and build at the same time -- granted it's not easy but the Eagles are arguably doing it.

I am a big Rivera guy.  And yeah i do buy that he's hamstrung by Dan in FA both as to his budget and this being not an attractive place to play.  But I do think he underestimates how down this fan base is where he cannot afford a mediocre to bad season with the sell is wait till 2023.  

I do think there is some logic to a point that Keim hinted in this off season that 2023 is the all season in all likelihood.  But can they afford more fan attrition waiting for that?

Holding out hope that Ron's teams tend to be weak starters and strong finishers. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim and Standig both have said they've poked at signing players including at LB but their targets didn't poke back.  I give them a harder time for the draft where they've had oppotunities to address the spot, though Davis is a LB but not a traditional middle LB.

But yeah you are right they are trying to thread the needle of a rebuild while trying to win now at the same time.  They've drafted fairly well.  The Dotson trade down was a nice one as to building draft capital.  But by and large the Eagles for example are schoolling this FO as to how to win now and build at the same time -- granted it's not easy but the Eagles are arguably doing it.

I am a big Rivera guy.  And yeah i do buy that he's hamstrung by Dan in FA both as to his budget and this being not an attractive place to play.  But I do think he underestimates how down this fan base is where he cannot afford a mediocre to bad season with the sell is wait till 2023.  

I do think there is some logic to a point that Keim hinted in this off season that 2023 is the all season in all likelihood.  But can they afford more fan attrition waiting for that?

Holding out hope that Ron's teams tend to be weak starters and strong finishers. 

Why are you a big Rivera guy?   

What evidence is there that Dan is holding him back in FA?   

I'm not asking for big FA signings. The players I want can be signed for under 5 mil. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

But we also don't want to rebuild.

We have been completely rebuilt in only two years. 

First year was just an analysis of what we have on the roster, which Ron had said and then the last two years we have completely revamped our entire roster.

It's impressive that we're as competitive as we are honestly.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But by and large the Eagles for example are schoolling this FO as to how to win now and build at the same time -- granted it's not easy but the Eagles are arguably doing it.

The Eagles are only able to do it, because they traded Wentz away to the Colts and then used that capital to build on the team they already had.

If we could start  multiplying first round picks every year and we had been developing a QB behind a starter (which we are now doing), we could do the same and after last years draft, I have a lot of faith. Although I absolutely would have resigned Payne and drafted a LBer in the second.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

There is no way in Hell this team is completely rebuilt. Well it doesn’t seem that way to me anyway.

I'm not saying that we are done building. The rebuild happened and now were building. We have a better team than last year and last years was much improved. 

• Haha 1

The problem is... this team in constantly rebuilding and never gets better. 

Riverra's narrative has always been:

1. we will build up all the position groups and now all we need is a QB to be a top 10 team.

well... we have a QB now.. but our D still sucks and our O line is not very good. So what the hell have you been building?!

• Like 1

Offense has weapons and at the very least, a competent NFL Quarterback.

Rivera is out of excuses if the team doesn't win at least nine games IMO.

He gets no excuses when it comes to the defense. All its flaws are squarely on him at this point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We're .500 after 2 entire games and have one of the top offenses.  :ols: 

The season isn't over and we don't currently have a losing record.

Man, some of yall Debbys love the drama.

I always find it cute when new fans with little history of the team and in particular the last THIRTY years have no clue of our struggles. 

The apologists for this team are a little bit deaf, blind and dumb. People aren’t making the drama up. The team hands it on a platter. 

Keep drinking the koolaid. The rest of us will wait until they prove it differently rather than blindly swallow what they give.

Edited by dyst
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, dyst said:

I always find it cute when new fans with little history of the team and in particular the last THIRTY years have no clue of our struggles. 

The apologists for this team are a little bit deaf, blind and dumb. People aren’t making the drama up. The team hands it on a platter. 

Keep drinking the koolaid. The rest of us will wait until they prove it differently rather than blindly swallow what they give.

I became a fan in 79. The year before they drafted my cousin, but sure. I'm a new fan with little knowledge of the history.

2 games into the season and you're crying about the sky falling. We're .500 superfan. Step away from the ledge.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I became a fan in 79. The year before they drafted my cousin, but sure. I'm a new fan with little knowledge of the history.

2 games into the season and you're crying about the sky falling. We're .500 superfan. Step away from the ledge.

That's rad, who's your cousin?

5 minutes ago, CarlH said:

That's rad, who's your cousin?

Rich Milot. Pretty distant. He was at some family reunions, but I never met him. Big Tyrol/ Slovak family. But when you're a 7 yo kid and find out someone you're related to is playing for the team you follow, it's pretty damn cool.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Rich Milot. Pretty distant. He was at some family reunions, but I never met him. Big Tyrol/ Slovak family. But when you're a 7 yo kid and find out someone you're related to is playing for the team you follow, it's pretty damn cool.

Some old fans have no clue either 

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Some old fans have no clue either. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

9 year Redskin, 2 Super Bowl rings, had a really nice career here.  Very cool indeed