Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, TheShredder said:

Complete waste of money to fuel a private jet for a check up. Why not send the Dr on a first class ticket commercial flight and save the ~50k

unless it was an emergency or multitasking

I don't think they're ferrying the doc on a private jet.  It would be Ron or Chase is my guess.  It could be Chase coming back and forth, it could be Ron and Jack going to visit him.  (Though I heard Ron was out of the country.)  

Regardless, the reason is because Dan has the money to do it so why not.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Complete waste of money to fuel a private jet for a check up. Why not send the Dr on a first class ticket commercial flight and save the ~20k

unless it was an emergency or multitasking

The crazy way flights are getting cancelled may have left them with no other viable option.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

I heard that he's broke.

No no. He isn’t broke. He’s NFL owner broke per theories here. There is a difference.

Broke is someone who worries about being able to afford groceries. NFL owner broke is you only fully guarantee $50M instead of $150M.

• Like 4

Baker to CAR for conditional 5th.

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns have agreed to trade quarterback Baker Mayfield to the Carolina Panthers in exchange for a conditional draft pick, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The Panthers will pay $4.85 million of Mayfield's salary while the Browns will pay $10.5 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Mayfield has agreed to forgo the remainder of his $18.8 million salary to facilitate the deal, which is pending a physical, the source said.

The Browns will receive either a fourth- or fifth-round pick in 2024, depending on Mayfield's playing time in Carolina.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34201889/cleveland-browns-trade-baker-mayfield-carolina-panthers-draft-pick

55 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Baker to CAR for conditional 5th.

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns have agreed to trade quarterback Baker Mayfield to the Carolina Panthers in exchange for a conditional draft pick, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The Panthers will pay $4.85 million of Mayfield's salary while the Browns will pay $10.5 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Mayfield has agreed to forgo the remainder of his $18.8 million salary to facilitate the deal, which is pending a physical, the source said.

The Browns will receive either a fourth- or fifth-round pick in 2024, depending on Mayfield's playing time in Carolina.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34201889/cleveland-browns-trade-baker-mayfield-carolina-panthers-draft-pick

Great move by the Panthers.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Im not a huge fan of Baker, but this makes the swapped 2nd + 2 3rds we gave up for Wentz seem like a terrible deal.

Picking up Baker for a 4th or 5th would have been a much better get. Ron & Co. definitely make some head-scratcher decisions when it comes to asset management. 

8 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

Im not a huge fan of Baker, but this makes the swapped 2nd + 2 3rds we gave up for Wentz seem like a terrible deal.

Picking up Baker for a 4th or 5th would have been a much better get. Ron & Co. definitely make some head-scratcher decisions when it comes to asset management. 

Hindsight is the key here.

Early in the offseason the price is much higher and nobody wanted to go into next season with heinicke as the starter, save maybe zCommander. 

The panthers gambled and it paid off because the browns had to get rid of Mayfield and by now there's no competition so they had all the leverage. 

It could have just as easily backfired.

Had the Seahawks grabbed Mayfield the panthers would be starting darnold again and a couple thirds may not look too bad anymore. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Hindsight is the key here.

Early in the offseason the price is much higher and nobody wanted to go into next season with heinicke as the starter, save maybe zCommander. 

The panthers gambled and it paid off because the browns had to get rid of Mayfield and by now there's no competition so they had all the leverage. 

It could have just as easily backfired.

Had the Seahawks grabbed Mayfield the panthers would be starting darnold again and a couple thirds may not look too bad anymore. 

2 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

100% agree. And, with the benefit of hindsight it feels a bit like we got fleeced here lol. 

Hopefully Wentz just lights it up and giving up all that additional draft capitol is an afterthought. 

To be clear, Baker is a free agent in 2023.  If he lights it up and they want to keep him, they have to franchise him or reach a new deal.  Carson has two years on his deal after this one, and no more guaranteed money, therefore if he lights it up, we control him for two more years minimum (and could then franchise him after that), and if he doesn't we ditch him with no more further cost.  This obviously had an impact on trade compensation.

EDIT: I would have been very happy with Baker on this deal, along with a premier free agent piece on defense this year, of course.  But the differences in the contracts has to be considered here when comparing in addition to the risk the Panthers did take that maybe they would have to play another season with Darnold or throw Corral into the fire...

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the current depth chart we are probably set on offense for now. Stacks of OL still available as contingency against injury. I would still find a roster spot for Daryl Williams to be honest.

I’ve got less confidence in the quality of our defense. I think we are lacking at depth across the board, DL-LB-DB. I think we will need to add 2 or 3 veteran players onto that side of the ball before week 1.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Looking at the current depth chart we are probably set on offense for now. Stacks of OL still available as contingency against injury. I would still find a roster spot for Daryl Williams to be honest.

I’ve got less confidence in the quality of our defense. I think we are lacking at depth across the board, DL-LB-DB. I think we will need to add 2 or 3 veteran players onto that side of the ball before week 1.

The defensive starting lineup is okay, but the depth is pretty bad.   You could improve the depth at DE, LB, CB, and S.  Obviously it is unlikely you bring in four free agents.   On offense the depth is fine everywhere except offensive tackle, but even there you are at least three deep as Lucas is a solid swing tackle.

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

The defensive starting lineup is okay, but the depth is pretty bad.   You could improve the depth at DE, LB, CB, and S.  Obviously it is unlikely you bring in four free agents.   On offense the depth is fine everywhere except offensive tackle, but even there you are at least three deep as Lucas is a solid swing tackle.

It’s interesting, but off the top of my head, I was with you.  Looking at the depth chart though, and presuming you want your immediate backups to be vets that have shown they can play at this level, followed by young, up-and-coming guys (that’s my preference anyway)…

DE - Smith-Williams, Toohill, Obada, Rotimi, Toney, Bradley-King

S - Reaves, Apke, Butler, Forrest

LB - Mayo, Hudson, Milo Eifler, Drew White, Tre Walker, De’jon Harris, Ferrod Gardner, Bryce Notree

Corner - St Juste, Danny Johnson, Corn Elder, Christian Holmes, Josh Drayden, Devin Taylor, Nijuel Hill

Not suggesting there’s no room for improvement, but generally, we’ve got that balance.  Just need a few young guys to step up.  

I’ll add that I still feel like Toney might be better served moving to linebacker (or at least starting to cross train there), but of course I have to assume our coaches have a far better feel for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

It’s interesting, but off the top of my head, I was with you.  Looking at the depth chart though, and presuming you want your immediate backups to be vets that have shown they can play at this level, followed by young, up-and-coming guys (that’s my preference anyway)…

DE - Smith-Williams, Toohill, Obada, Rotimi, Toney, Bradley-King

S - Reaves, Apke, Butler, Forrest

LB - Mayo, Hudson, Milo Eifler, Drew White, Tre Walker, De’jon Harris, Ferrod Gardner, Bryce Notree

Corner - St Juste, Danny Johnson, Corn Elder, Christian Holmes, Josh Drayden, Devin Taylor, Nijuel Hill

Not suggesting there’s no room for improvement, but generally, we’ve got that balance.  Just need a few young guys to step up.  

I’ll add that I still feel like Toney might be better served moving to linebacker (or at least starting to cross train there), but of course I have to assume our coaches have a far better feel for him.

I think Ferrod Gardner has been moved to safety, brother. They want to see him play the hybrid spot.

2 hours ago, VaK9Trainer said:

We're set at TE. John Bates and Cole Turner can more than hold things down while Logan is out. 

Need to see a proven commodity next to them in training camp. If they beat him out, cool, but shouldn't just blindly rely on absolutely no experience or production at the position. Any Vet Min guy would work

Edited by FootballZombie

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Need to see a proven commodity next to them in training camp. If they beat him out, cool, but shouldn't just blindly rely on absolutely no experience or production at the position. Any Vet Min guy would work

Disagree. Bates proved more than capable. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Disagree. Bates proved more than capable. 

I like Bates, but he is not a one man TE group.

without Thomas you have:

Bates- Proven complementary contributor. Only 1 year of XP with 20 recs to his name, but played a lot of snaps. He will get the opportunity to expand his role.

Reyes - Literal 1 year of XP. Didn't even play football before a year ago. Serious questions if his body can handle the rigors w/o years of exposure to this kind of physicality. No recs in regular season. (I say this w/ this dude being a personal man-crush as well)

AGG - Playing w/ new body type, at new position. 1 Rec in NFL career. Concerns about durability as a WR are even worse with new position and more weight.

Turner - 5th round Rookie. Total unknown. No XP

Hodges - UDFA. Total unknown. No XP

That group has 21 NFL recs and 252 catching yards career totals. 99% of that is Bates. 3 of the five have never caught a pass. The 4th caught 1 as a WR. We will have at least 3 TEs on the final roster and outside of Bates its pretty much a pray to your God they pan out scenario.

We need a Vet min guy in case Logan falls behind schedule and we have to fall back on Turner(Rookie), Hodges(Rookie), AGG(virtual Rook) and Reyes(virtual rook). I don't think you should leave any position group that raw. If the young core look good in training camp, that opens the possibility to roll with them, but you cant just bank on that beforehand.

Without Logan, the thought that this is a competitive TE group is laughable, and we don't know when he will be back, or what he will even look like upon his return.

Then there is the piece of mind of injury insurance. If Bates so much as stubs a toe... No bueno.

Edited by FootballZombie

On 7/7/2022 at 10:07 AM, Bifflog said:

EDIT: I would have been very happy with Baker on this deal, along with a premier free agent piece on defense this year, of course.  But the differences in the contracts has to be considered here when comparing in addition to the risk the Panthers did take that maybe they would have to play another season with Darnold or throw Corral into the fire...

I've said this for months, if they wanted a premiere defensive FA, they would have gotten one.  They have the cap room to do both.  They still have $13m cap space remaining.  They could clear another $3-10m dollars without blinking an eye.

The cap is not the reason they are not making moves.

There are 2 possible reasons they are not making moves, one of which I subscribe to more than the other:

1. They really believe in the team and don't want to mess with chemistry.  They completely broke the secondary last year with too many switches, and they just want continuity more than they want player upgrades, especially on defense. In addition, they want to save every bit of cap room to extend as many of their players as they can, such as Payne, Holcomb, Sweat (next off-season), Curl (next off-season), and a few others who will be entering the last year of their deal in 2023.

2. Dan has put them on a budget and they can't spend cash for whatever reason.

I subscribe to theory 1.  I acknowledge there might be some of 1 and 2 going on, but I don't think it's strictly #2.  Let's keep discussion of #2 in the "Dan is Broke" thread.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I like Bates, but he is not a one man TE group.

without Thomas you have:

The thing is I don't think they care so much.  The reason why is because they have a lot of different ways of getting the same type of production without using TEs if they need to, at least from the passing game.

I think if Thomas is out, you will see a whole lot more 11 personnel with Bates as the TE for run-blocking, and 3 WR sets. Bates is a competent pass-receiver, and a good blocker.   If Thomas was in, I think you'd see a lot more 2 TE sets with both Bates and Thomas, especially in early downs.

They will probably do some of the 2 TE sets with Bates and Turner.  

They might have some 3 WR sets with Turner also.

I don't disagree they could bring in another cheap TE just for training camp, and they might.  I kindof don't think they will, though.  

I absolutely do think they're going to bring in some guys in the defense, because Ron has said as much.