Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

I am underwhelmed by Washington's off-season strategy/tactics they seem to be following to address the concerns raised by last year's line-backing group. 

IMHO, it seems Washington is whistling past the graveyard, and hoping for a "lucky break' at "waiver-wire" time.  So, is the approach will be the Washington coaches reassuring everyone how that same LB group will be so much better this year?

While I'd like to believe the hype, I can't help but note that Linebacker group has less veteran depth, less quality supporting players at "buffalo nickel", and more questions on how well the interior D line is going to keep the LB'ers clear of on-rushing O-linemen.

The UDFAs Washington brought in, might make special teams, and m-a-y-b-e might emerge to be serviceable players to spell Davis, Holcomb and/or Mayo, but they didn't seem like they'd be a quality "next-man-up" should one of the current trio of Wasjington LB'ers not be able to play for a few weeks.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

I am underwhelmed by Washington's off-season strategy/tactics they seem to be following to address the concerns raised by last year's line-backing group. 

IMHO, it seems Washington is whistling past the graveyard, and hoping for a "lucky break' at "waiver-wire" time.  So, is the approach will be the Washington coaches reassuring everyone how that same LB group will be so much better this year?

While I'd like to believe the hype, I can't help but note that Linebacker group has less veteran depth, less quality supporting players at "buffalo nickel", and more questions on how well the interior D line is going to keep the LB'ers clear of on-rushing O-linemen.

The UDFAs Washington brought in, might make special teams, and m-a-y-b-e might emerge to be serviceable players to spell Davis, Holcomb and/or Mayo, but they didn't seem like they'd be a quality "next-man-up" should one of the current trio of Wasjington LB'ers not be able to play for a few weeks.

Yep agreed, aside from Wentz I think the offseason strategy is very underwhelming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

Their offseason is saying very loudly, "We think our team was set minus a QB."

I don't think they're right. I think, especially with the departures, we are thin on the oline and at Dtackle (looks better if the draft pick works out.) We also have major question marks at linebacker and safety. I mean even if you believe in Holcomb and Davis what do we have if they falter or get hurt. David Mayo apparently is the starter during OTAs. My understanding was that he was signed as a special teamer and was a liability on defense.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't think they're right. I think, especially with the departures, we are thin on the oline and at Dtackle (looks better if the draft pick works out.) We also have major question marks at linebacker and safety. I mean even if you believe in Holcomb and Davis what do we have if they falter or get hurt. David Mayo apparently is the starter during OTAs. My understanding was that he was signed as a special teamer and was a liability on defense.

I think O-line depth is actually OK, we've signed two veteran Probowl guards competing to win start spots. LB is a huge question mark

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I agree.  And I think they believe if Fitzy hadn’t gotten hurt 16 plays into the season they would have been more competitive and possible my in the playoff hunt all year.

The problem is the defense, which is wild to say given how last year at this time we were thinking the defense has a chance to be a top 10 unit.  

But Young and Sweat started the year poorly, the secondary was a mess due to too many exchanged parts, then Young snd Swear got hurt.

So the defense is a huge question mark this season.  The thing is, I don’t think they wanted a lot of new pieces, especially in the secondary, because the lack of continuity really hurt them last year.

So apart from a LB, I think they wanted to roll with the folks they have. 

Which makes for a boring off-season.

They are counting on Allen, Payne, Young, Sweat, Fuller, WJIII, McCain, Kurl and Holcomb to anchor the defense. And the other parts to work. 

I did like how they drafted.  A number of their roomies should contribute immediately in specific roles.

On offense, as long as they get Terry’s deal done, they could be one of the top 5-10 talented offenses in the league.   If Wentz plays well, they could be dynamic.  They have a clear #1 WR, a good gadget guy in Samuels, a possible #2 in Dotson, good TEs, the best coached OL in the league, and a deep running back room.  

• Like 3

Well it didn’t sound like JDR was that bothered about Collins and that Buffalo Nickel role. Seems like we are using several other DBs to plug that gap in OTAs. I guess Collins might return but I can’t imagine he would get much at all in terms of contract money.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, Wyvern said:

There is actually a lot of reason to believe the linebacking corps. will be much improved this year.

Jamin Davis, a first round rookie, who everyone said at the time of the draft was incredibly raw as a linebacker is going into his second year. He showed flashes last year. He will be better this year than last. It's a foregone conclusion. Will he be first round worthy? That is another matter. But he will be better.

Cole Holcomb improved as last season went on. He will cap out at some point but he has improved each season.

The linebackers will be better. The question is: How much?

Second, we may have tried to address linebacker. But I hate to repeat myself: We are not a free agent destination.

In the draft we could have, and perhaps should have, addressed backer somewhere. But we also addressed other glaring holes that we filled.

We'll see. I'm not sold on the secondary as a whole or the LB unit. Or even the DL unit. 

• Like 1

Good explanation there from Sharp about how the Rams can work around the cap and how having liquidty helps you do that and some owners don't have that type of liquidity. 

I know that point bothers some that Dan would have liquidity disadvantages versus in theory more successful "off the field" business guys like Kroenke and see the whole notion as nonsense and I get some pushback for making the point. But even for those people, if they want to believe that Dan can do anything liquidity wise than any other owner can do -- its still an interesting explanation for how the Rams do business. 

Dan is closer to the bottom than the top as far as net worth among NFL owners.  Ranked 20th.  And at least according to what I've read most of his net worth is the actual team and most of his outside business ventures have failed.   Two teams that have been uber aggressive in FA in recent years, Saints and Rams, one has almost twice Dan's net worth.   The other had 5 times his net worth.

Half the owners of the NFL have about double or more Dan's net worth.

My point though isn't simply that Dan isn't as wealthy as most other NFL owners.  That's indisputable.  Ditto that his money is tied into his team versus owning some mega successful outside business.  That's also indisputable.  My point is take all of that and consider the 875 million dollar loan he had to take out to buy out his minority partners, coupled with him likely having to give 2 billion for a stadium, that combined likely has some impact and how he spends right now.  Just about every beat guy who has covered the team now has talked about it after Standig started the conversation earlier this off season.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-richest-owners-net-worth-ranked/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

This below also might be true for McVay, ala what Sean Payton did.  While being uber liquid helps you in FA and helps you keep your own -- where signing bonuses and guaranteed money doesn't faze certain owners fiancially where staggering the financial impact early on they can do without breaking a suit.  Still the cap is real.  There are consequences for staggering contacts. 

We’ve been using voidable years on deals for a while including this year. Hell the Packers game D.Campbell a one year 2mi deal last year and included a whole raft of voidable years onto that.

It’s perfectly logical to assume Snyder isn’t quite as flush with liquid assets as others around the league. However, my personal view is that it’s borderline absurd to think that would prevent us signing a premier WR to a contract extension. No way an NFL owner is that restricted in terms of ability to invest. Can’t see it personally.

Edit - that word should have been isn’t :rofl89:

@Skinsinparadise

Edited by Est.1974

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We’ve been using voidable years on deals for a while including this year. Hell the Packers game D.Campbell a one year 2mi deal last year and included a whole raft of voidable years onto that.

It’s perfectly logical to assume Snyder is quite as flush with liquid assets as others around the league. However, my personal view is that it’s borderline absurd to think that would prevent us signing a premier WR to a contract extension. No way an NFL owner is that restricted in terms of ability to invest. Can’t see it personally.

As far as it being perfectly logical to think Dan is as liquid as other owners who have a much bigger net worth than he does, and who have much more successful businesses outside of their team, and who don't have an $875 million debt waiver loan with the league and who might need 2 billion dollars of their own money to purchase a stadium in the near future -- its not perfect logic in my book.  But to each their own. 

Maybe Albert Breer who has been around the NFL forever doesn't know what he's talking about when he mentions owners likes to hold on to their money as long as possible and explained why and did so specifically to the Terry contract.  Maybe it's just random coincidence that Dan likes to do most of his major in house extensions in the summer and did so even before Ron arrived.

It's possible all of this is coincidence.  But at a minimum maybe its at least a viable runniing theory that maybe there is some smoke to the fire?  

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

There is actually a lot of reason to believe the linebacking corps. will be much improved this year.

Jamin Davis, a first round rookie, who everyone said at the time of the draft was incredibly raw as a linebacker is going into his second year. He showed flashes last year. He will be better this year than last. It's a foregone conclusion. Will he be first round worthy? That is another matter. But he will be better.

Cole Holcomb improved as last season went on. He will cap out at some point but he has improved each season.

The linebackers will be better. The question is: How much?

Yeah, that's where I'm at as well.  

The other question is, are they EVERY going to play with 3 LBs on the field.  I think it was something like 60 snaps last year.  Do they ever do it this year?  Or are they always in some type of a nickel, with a safety taking the spot of a LB?  

Because, as of right now, I'm not sure who the third LB would be.  I assume it would be Mayo.  That doesn't give me a ton of confidence. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Second, we may have tried to address linebacker. But I hate to repeat myself: We are not a free agent destination.

Slight digression, but that is really the biggest indirect effect of Dan and all of his scandals.  I think players respect Rivera and the coaches (for the most part, anyway), but there is always extra noise around here and the fans are in open revolt over the owner.  

I wish there were a way to separate the two, so fans could just go and enjoy the team and support them while still being in revolt against the owner.  But I'm not sure it's possible.  

As far as addressing LB, if they tried, my guess is they didn't try very hard. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

We'll see. I'm not sold on the secondary as a whole or the LB unit. Or even the DL unit. 

So what's left?  :P

The biggest question about the secondary is going to be, who is the 5th defender if they are going with Nickel 80% of the time.  Really good reviews about St. Juste.  Does that kick Fuller inside, where he struggled last year. Who's the third safety.  At the moment, nobody knows.

LB we've talked about.  

DL, I think will be fine IF Young's knee is recovered and Sweat's head is out of his ass.  Those are my questions with that unit.  

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As far as it being perfectly logical to think Dan is as liquid as other owners who have a much bigger net worth than he does, and who have much more successful businesses outside of their team, and who don't have an $875 million debt waiver loan with the league and who might need 2 billion dollars of their own money to purchase a stadium in the near future -- its not perfect logic in my book.  But to each their own. 

Maybe Albert Breer who has been around the NFL forever doesn't know what he's talking about when he mentions owners likes to hold on to their money as long as possible and explained why and did so specifically to the Terry contract.  Maybe it's just random coincidence that Dan likes to do most of his major in house extensions in the summer and did so even before Ron arrived.

It's possible all of this is coincidence.  But at a minimum maybe its at least a viable runniing theory that maybe there is some smoke to the fire?  

Not sure I am with you on this one. First, those are two different things that do not necessarily have anything in common. They could but they do not have to. 

Based on this list of owners net worth danny boy is tied for 11th with a net worth of $4B. (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls-richest-owners-revealed-cowboys-rams-and-panthers-top-list-of-15-wealthiest-for-2022/ - April 2022)   People with a net worth of $4B do not have cash flow issues.

Owners wanting to keep thier money as long as they can is something we should all do but they do it so they can continue to let that money make more money for them until the last second. 

I am certain danny has no cash flow issues. This is a media/fan generated wish list. What I know to be fact is that danny is cheap as ****. He hates to spend a penny unless it makes him more money back. This can give the appearance of being cash poor when in reality he is just ****ing cheap. 

Full disclosure I would love it if he were broke and had to sell the team. But the fact is - and I am sorry everyone - it's fact, he is not even close to broke. He is not even cash poor since his assets - debts = $4B. He can get whatever money he wants/needs whenever he wants it. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

It’s perfectly logical to assume Snyder is quite as flush with liquid assets as others around the league. However, my personal view is that it’s borderline absurd to think that would prevent us signing a premier WR to a contract extension. No way an NFL owner is that restricted in terms of ability to invest. Can’t see it personally.

Ive been saying all along Synder doesn’t have the cash on hand to pay these signing bonuses. AJ Brown got a $23mil signing bonus and $57 mil guaranteed. I read somewhere that the team generated some of the least amount of revenues the last couple years. Add in the fines he has had to pay and you can see why we are struggling to resign Terry and didn’t get any high priced free agents. 

Its time for this dweeb to go!

Being broke, barely making ends meet -- yeah naturally, that would be ridiculous.   No one is saying Dan is poor. 

I work with a lot of affluent people.  I have give or take 30-40 clients a year and have had that cooking for well over 20 years.  About half of them are wealthy, about 10% give or take are very weatlhy.  But there is a major difference with being paper rich and liquid rich.  And I've seen it influence what I can do in my own job as for the resources some clients provide me or don't based on that.   

What the money is tied into is a major plot line typically versus it being an irrelevant plot line.  I am not exactly going on a wild off beat limb on this point.  It's been said by plenty of others and for a reason.

• Like 2