Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'm disappointed the team hasn't brought in more RBs. It's a super thin group, with maybe 3 bona fide NFLers. One injury can mess that up fast. Even a decent UDFA would have been nice.

Who do you have on mind?

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'm disappointed the team hasn't brought in more RBs. It's a super thin group, with maybe 3 bona fide NFLers. One injury can mess that up fast. Even a decent UDFA would have been nice.

One of my favorite RB's who has a troubled time sticking to a roster is Phillip Lindsay.  I think the kid is dynamite as a runner and receiver and seems like a great kid.  

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

I think our RB room of AG / Robinson / JD is above average.  Talented and well rounded.   Williams and Patterson are what you'd expect from a 4 and 5 RB. 

I'd like to add a competent tackle, LB, and CB.  RB is the least of my worries.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, sebestian said:

I gotta be honest the more I read and watch of Dotson the more I think that he was the target all along if London wasn't there. I think all the Olave smoke was just that smoke. I think Dotson gives you all the same things Olave does except Dotson's hands and catch radius are much better than Olaves despite Olave being bigger. Which seems to be why they liked London so much was because of how big his catch radius was. So Im starting to wonder if Dotson wasnt the fall back to London all along. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I gotta be honest the more I read and watch of Dotson the more I think that he was the target all along if London wasn't there. I think all the Olave smoke was just that smoke. I think Dotson gives you all the same things Olave does except Dotson's hands and catch radius are much better than Olaves despite Olave being bigger. Which seems to be why they liked London so much was because of how big his catch radius was. So Im starting to wonder if Dotson wasnt the fall back to London all along. 

Yeah Rivera said to Dotson about him being a well kept secret. I think we may have considered Wilson too at #11. Maybe not.

I mean, when Rivera said he could see elements of Steve Smith in Dotson’s play, that’s a key comment from RR that you definitely could not apply to Olave, however good a prospect he is.

On FA, got to think a Collins re-sign is due very soon......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Agents probably aren't lining up to send their guys to compete for the 4th spot.  The top 3 assuredly have their spots locked up.  

You could say this about virtually any NFL team. Washington probably has one of the weakest depth charts at RB, which should make it an attractive option by that logic.

30 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Agreed. I thought all along that the interest in Olave was way too public and obvious. You never telegraph your interest to the other 31 teams like that.

In Dotson's 1st day video Ron made the comment "sometimes the less people know the better"

And people doubted me and said this FO isn't capable of smoke screens. Olave was a huge one.

The plan all along was Drake London or trade down and take Dotson.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Who do you have on mind?

I think it's too late now, all the good ones are long gone. But take a guy like Kennedy Brooks or Jashaun Corbin would make sense. Both signed as UDFAs within the division. One guys signed with Philly, who has something like 40 RBs already. It just seems like good form to bring in a guy and see if you can find another James Robinson or whatever. When the fifth guy on the depth chart is 28 and has basically never stuck in the NFL, you know depth it is not a strength. When it's a position that's traditionally injury prone, you probably want some depth.

59 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I think our RB room of AG / Robinson / JD is above average.  Talented and well rounded.   Williams and Patterson are what you'd expect from a 4 and 5 RB. 

I'd like to add a competent tackle, LB, and CB.  RB is the least of my worries.

Above average is optimistic. I think it's a decent enough group IF Robinson translates well to the NFL and IF they all stay healthy. I'd want may more from a 4th or 5th RB though. Particularly the 5th guy. I'd agree that the team also needs those other positions, but RB seems like an easier position to fill. You can find good RBs, even from the UDFA pile. It's harder to find good tackles and CBs that are undrafted. That's why I'm a bit surprised they didn't bring in at least 1 UDFA RB.

Like most, I'd be happy if we resigned Collins to play Buff. Nickel. Signing Collins would also give us some depth behind Curl at SS now that we no longer have Everett. Given Darrick Forrest's performance last year, I don't have much confidence in him. I guess I'm even more concerned about FS. If Butler is as good as we hope, then we have some depth behind McCain. If not, then Reaves is our current answer. I like Reaves, but I'm wondering if there's a better veteran FS out there to serve as McCain's primary backup. The most pressing problem is depth at LB. If Davis or Holcomb gets hurt, Hudson is the only viable replacement on the roster, and he's yet to show that he is ready to start a game. So, in additions to Collins, I hope we're looking to sign a veteran FS and a veteran LB .

• Like 1

To me, LB is the one position I think we have to make a free agent acquisition at. It’s been a problem for two years at least, and we’ve made no attempt this offseason to improve it.  Maybe Jamin Davis improves exponentially this offseason but I don’t know if anyone would bet on that. And even if he does our depth behind him and Holcomb is very poor. 

The guy I’d be looking at is Alexander Johnson from the Broncos. PFF grades him as an elite run stopper (and their 3rd best FA LB overall). Bringing back Landon for the Buffalo nickel role would also help mask some of our LB depth issues. 

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The secondary would be ridiculously good.

They'll need to be. Since we haven't upgraded at all at our weakest position group (LB), the safeties better be ready to make a lot of tackles and touchdown saving maneuvers.

46 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Are our linebackers really that bad or are they just easy targets to heap blame on because they weren’t acquired with high picks or big money in free agency?

The eye test and the metrics are pretty consistent in this case.

Im not going to cite the metrics…. they been posted throughout the forum in multiple threads if you’re interested though.

Watching this front office neglect this position every year, despite the fact that coaches have publicly acknowledged in each off-season they needed to upgrade the position, is infuriating.

The team isn’t getting any production from the position.

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

As soon as the Giants cut Bradberry we need to swoop in. That’s the one former Panther we need. The secondary would be ridiculously good.

Bradberry would be nice but he’s gonna cost too much. Don’t see him signing a one year prove it deal. Fuller and Jackson are fine if we can get more production from our line. 

I prefer to see a linebacker from teams that release a vet. A guy that might make sense is Devin Bush who may be released. 

37 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Jamin Davis wasn't a high pick?

He was indeed. He was the only one I thought was deserving of the amount of criticism that he received. Seemed to me, especially early in the season when our defense was really putrid, that the DL and secondary were both playing worse than the LBs (except Davis).

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Just looked into Percy Butler a bit more and he may get some playing time and be the reason we don’t need to sign someone to play buffalo nickel. Butler supposedly is the best pure safety in the draft and ran a 4.3. You put him back there with McCain and this would allow Kam to play buffalo. Kams one of my favorite players and he is extremely good in coverage against bigger tight ends and quick enough to cover slots receivers. He showed last year he can stick with running backs out of the backfield. 

I think they will see how he does in rookie minicamp and then determine if they need to go out and get someone.  

13 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Just looked into Percy Butler a bit more and he may get some playing time and be the reason we don’t need to sign someone to play buffalo nickel. Butler supposedly is the best pure safety in the draft and ran a 4.3. You put him back there with McCain and this would allow Kam to play buffalo. Kams one of my favorite players and he is extremely good in coverage against bigger tight ends and quick enough to cover slots receivers. He showed last year he can stick with running backs out of the backfield. 

I think they will see how he does in rookie minicamp and then determine if they need to go out and get someone.  

He’s definitely an option there. Risky to rely on a 4th round pick for any immediate contribution though…