Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

If he really wanted to be back on the west coast, then all the power to him. 

I simply do not understand why the FO is not being a little bit more aggressive.

I understand their shorthanded with the organizational/Snyder issues but I guess I wish I knew their plan to an extent. 

By the way, it seems like a lot of players want to go home and play, are their FA from the DMV?

Good teams don’t whine when a player leaves; they find a replacement.

I ‘ve brought this up that Steelers have let players leave over the years and have found replacements.

If your coach/Gm can’t do that; then you need a new coach/Gm.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

He filled in admirably at WR and was great in the return game but folks are acting like we just let bmitch walk outta the building.  Was his skillset and production so far above and beyond anyone else on the backend of the roster that he would command a roster spot ?

I think it was more of a  choice between Carter and Milne or AGG or even Harmon and whoever they draft. With Terry, Cam, Sam & Brown most likely locks a guy like Carter would be great but not a forward thinking selection for a young roster trying to cultivate homegrown talent. 

• Thumb up 1

From PFT...

"Report: Commanders haven’t made contract offer to Terry McLaurin yet

Coach Ron Rivera said last week that the Commanders have plenty of time to sign Terry McLaurin to an extension. It’s five months to the start of the season, and Washington expects to get a deal with their star receiver.

Clearly, they aren’t in a hurry.

The team has “yet to make a contract offer to extend” McLaurin’s deal, Grant Paulsen of TheAthletic.com.

The Commanders reached agreement on a long-term deal with defensive tackle Jonathan Allen early in training camp last year, so Paulsen expects a contract with McLaurin to happen sometime in late July.

Carson Wentz will become the best quarterback McLaurin has played with in his three seasons, and, even with eight starting quarterbacks, McLaurin still has 222 catches for 3,090 yards and 16 touchdowns in his career.

Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill and Stefon Diggs have reset the receiver market this offseason, and McLaurin, DK Metcalf and A.J. Brown are among those who will get new deals sooner or later from someone.

Rivera expects the Commanders to lock up McLaurin, adding they “wouldn’t entertain” a trade offer."

XXXXXX

This is truly becoming puzzling.

The longer we wait the higher Terry's ultimate cost becomes. Every WR that signs a deal resets the market upwards.

McLaurin is the one player on this team that I would proactively attempt to resign without second guessing that decision.

Is it conceivable that Snyder, who we know is leveraged to the hilt, is cash poor and that is having an effect on how we are managing both free agency and resigning our own players?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

4 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

He gets paid to not feel it.

Has anyone mentioned that Carter is a California kid? Maybe all things being equal he'd rather be in his home state. 

Exactly there was a report Carter visited the Bears and obviously didn’t sign there. I’m sure Chicago would have offered a one million dollar contract. 

5 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

If they go WR @ 11 and Samuel is healthy and contributes, Brown or Dax Milne can fill the KR/PR role that Carter had last year.  

Milne had 12 punt returns in his entire college career.  Broke 1 for 31 and the other 11 went for 19.  I'm not sure he's much of an option other than just having a guy that's caught a punt before in their life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Milne had 12 punt returns in his entire college career.  Broke 1 for 31 and the other 11 went for 19.  I'm not sure he's much of an option other than just having a guy that's caught a punt before in their life.

If I were coaching the kid on day one I would look him directly in the eyes and sternly say, "From now on you do what you did on your 31 yard run every damn time you catch a punt. And you never ever do what you did on those other punts again."

With good coaching we got us a pro bowl punt returner in the making!

• Haha 5

51 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Pass on Kerrigan. I liked the backup DEs we had last year, they came in and contributed right away. Kerrigan is completely washed at this point.

Straight facts.

Let him sign a 1 day contract so he can retire a Washington Whatever. 

But our backup DEs did better then our starting DEs, there's nothing we need to add to that or he can add to that.

• Like 1

A.J Brown might be available for the right price.  What would you be willing to give up.  I would give 11 straight up.  I know the money and we have to sign two guys but it can be done easily.  You want to talk about taking your offense to another level.  McLaurin, Brown, Samuel, Dyami, Gibson, Mckissic, Thomas, Bates, and Wentz pulling the trigger.

28 minutes ago, sebestian said:

A.J Brown might be available for the right price.  What would you be willing to give up.  I would give 11 straight up.  I know the money and we have to sign two guys but it can be done easily.  You want to talk about taking your offense to another level.  McLaurin, Brown, Samuel, Dyami, Gibson, Mckissic, Thomas, Bates, and Wentz pulling the trigger.

According to the point's chart,

the Adams deal netted 359

The Hill deal netted 343 pts

The 11 pick is worth 358.

AJ is good, but he is not on their level. He also had a couple nagging injuries the last two years that have kept him outta games. For 11, I want something closer to Justin Jefferson than AJ Brown.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

This is truly becoming puzzling.

I totally agree. To have not engaged in constructive discussions/made some form of offer. Don’t get that at all if our true intention is to retain him as Rivera implies.

RR may say he wouldn’t entertain trade offers, feels to me like we are just leaving that door slightly open in case a wild offer came in. Maybe that’s fair enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sebestian said:

I mean we're struggling to pay McLaurin. What makes you think we can pay both? 

Lets focus our big bucks on our own guys first. We're not in a position to be trading top 15 picks and the 4-5 years of cheap control that comes with it for expensive vets just yet.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I totally agree. To have not engaged in constructive discussions/made some form of offer. Don’t get that at all if our true intention is to retain him as Rivera implies.

RR may say he wouldn’t entertain trade offers, feels to me like we are just leaving that door slightly open in case a wild offer came in. Maybe that’s fair enough.

Yep. If Snyder offered half what he’s spending on lawyers right now he’d get him signed in 5 minutes. Either way, you simply have to get the offer in front of him immediately. We need to know NOW if he will stay or wants to leave (which would be completely understandable and a good career move getting away from Snyder disfunction) and if the answer is no then time to trade him asap. The price to sign him is not going down, ever, only up. And every day that goes by makes it more difficult to trade him as more teams have their rosters set. We are heading straight down the road of getting nothing but maybe a comp pick (again) for a valuable asset. Some of you will reply with “relax”—sorry but that ain’t happening for me with another colossal Snyder blunder staring us right in the face.

Despite what some may think my feelings are… I’m about 65% positive we get something done with McLaurin. Meaning I think he wants to be here and the team will pay him market value and he will accept.

But I don’t love waiting until summer. Yes, we did it with Allen and it worked. So that is the rub for me that’s stopping me from getting worked up at all about it. But waiting until after the draft is a dangerous strategy. 

I don’t think Terry is the type but a holdout hurts us. Bad. I put that at about a 5% chance of happening, though.

The bigger concern is negotiations stall and get put on hold until after the season. Where we have no choice but to way overpay to keep him or he leaves and we get nothing in return.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Despite what some may think my feelings are… I’m about 65% positive we get something done with McLaurin. Meaning I think he wants to be here and the team will pay him market value and he will accept.

But I don’t love waiting until summer. Yes, we did it with Allen and it worked. So that is the rub for me that’s stopping me from getting worked up at all about it. But waiting until after the draft is a dangerous strategy. 

I don’t think Terry is the type but a holdout hurts us. Bad. I put that at about a 5% chance of happening, though.

The bigger concern is negotiations stall and get put on hold until after the season. Where we have no choice but to way overpay to keep him or he leaves and we get nothing in return.

Agreed, I don't see how it could be viewed as being a good business decision to delay. There are only negative implications not only financially but in how to draft and work FA. It gives the player more power the longer you wait, especially after the draft

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Pass on Kerrigan. I liked the backup DEs we had last year, they came in and contributed right away. Kerrigan is completely washed at this point.

This D is completely devoid of veteran leadership and it showed last year. Pretty sure Chase and Montez have better years if Kerrigan is still in that same film room. In total agreement that his minutes should be limited.

• Like 1