Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

6 minutes ago, sebestian said:

With the trade for Parker, anyone interested in N'keal Harry?

12 months ago Rivera apparently was.....this is from last year...2023 late pick maybe.

Washington's quest to add more offensive talent could include New England WR N'Keal Harry. The team is monitoring his situation, according to multiple sources. The 6-foot-4 Harry, a first-round pick in 2019, hasn't produced and could be traded. WFT GM Martin Mayhew was in San Francisco when the 49ers showed interest in Harry before the 2019 draft. At least three other teams could be interested. One source said it's hard to imagine New England settling for anything less than a fourth-round pick.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

12 months ago Rivera apparently was.....this is from last year...2023 late pick maybe.

Washington's quest to add more offensive talent could include New England WR N'Keal Harry. The team is monitoring his situation, according to multiple sources. The 6-foot-4 Harry, a first-round pick in 2019, hasn't produced and could be traded. WFT GM Martin Mayhew was in San Francisco when the 49ers showed interest in Harry before the 2019 draft. At least three other teams could be interested. One source said it's hard to imagine New England settling for anything less than a fourth-round pick.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

He has been a non factor in pros. He lacks speed, separation and concentration. He would be okay if a FA to battle for a WR4 slot maybe but not worth a draft pick.

I would rather that 4th round draft pick used in the draft a RB or TE.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

He has been a non factor in pros. He lacks speed, separation and concentration. He would be okay if a FA to battle for a WR4 slot maybe but not worth a draft pick.

Agreed, no draft pick, if he is released I would be interested.

• Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Oh yeah, that 4th round comment was from last offseason, not this one. NE have to decide on his 5th year option this month, which is almost certain to pass by, so it’ll be a one year 2mil deal you would pick him up on. 

I could be tempted with a 2023 late pick.

1 hour ago, sebestian said:

Carolina is in a worst place then us.  The have to draft a QB, and they do not know what is going to happen behind with people trying to jump them.  Why is it relevant, Darnold cant hold Wentz's hmm.....clipboard?  Have faith boys, once Snyds is out and a couple of additions, I like our prospects for success

Being better than Carolina isn't a particularly high bar. Unfortunately, there are 14 other NFC teams. And outside of the Lions, none are quite the mess Carolina is.

That said, I'm not sure Carolina goes QB at 6. For one, it seems like poor value. After bad deals for Bridgewater and Darnold, is Carolina tripling down on bad QB decisions? Yes, the team needs one. But everyone there is fighting for their jobs. And the best draft option is also widely considered not NFL ready. With guys like Mayfield and Jimmy G out there, there seems to be a better short term answer. And then maybe Carolina trades down to recoup lost picks?

The Athletic's Ben Standig reports "teams are monitoring" Terry McLaurin's contract status "in case an opening to acquire McLaurin emerges."

Head coach Ron Rivera, meanwhile, said the Commanders would "not entertain" any calls about McLaurin. Entering the last year of his rookie deal with Washington, McLaurin could be the next wide receiver to get a shockingly high payday if the Commanders lock him up for the long run. Standig reported that "sources on both sides anticipate intensified extension talks for McLaurin starting around or after the NFL Draft while pointing toward a June or July resolution." McLaurin would make around $20.16 million under the 2023 franchise tag if the two sides can't come to an agreement this summer. McLaurin, entering his age-27 season, has had an exceedingly frustrating stint in the horrendous Washington offense, led last year by Taylor Heinecke, one of the worst starting QBs in the league by many measures. Carson Wentz should be an upgrade for McLaurin and the team's pass catchers, and there's little reason to believe McLaurin won't remain the Commanders' clearcut No. 1 wideout in 2022. A team would have to be ultra-aggressive with an offer to acquire McLaurin before the Commanders start contract extension talks. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Oof - I'm surprised you posted this, @kingdaddy

Surprised it didn't get changed to "an offense so severely limited by offensive coordinator Scott Turner, a deplorable lack of weapons and a defense so putrid that couldn't stop anyone and even the incredible Taylor "I beat Brady" Heinicke couldn't even save it.".  :ols:

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

"an offense so severely limited by offensive coordinator Scott Turner, a deplorable lack of weapons and a defense so putrid that couldn't stop anyone and even the incredible Taylor "I beat Brady THE GOAT" Heinicke couldn't even save it.".  :ols:

FIFY.

True Heineke Stans refer to him as the GOAT for more drama and pizazz.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, sebestian said:

Carolina is in a worst place then us.  The have to draft a QB, and they do not know what is going to happen behind with people trying to jump them.  Why is it relevant, Darnold cant hold Wentz's hmm.....clipboard?  Have faith boys, once Snyds is out and a couple of additions, I like our prospects for success

Being better than Carolina isn't a particularly high bar. Unfortunately, there are 14 other NFC teams. And outside of the Lions, none are quite the mess Carolina is.

That said, I'm not sure Carolina goes QB at 6. For one, it seems like poor value. After bad deals for Bridgewater and Darnold, is Carolina tripling down on bad QB decisions? Yes, the team needs one. But everyone there is fighting for their jobs. And the best draft option is also widely considered not NFL ready. With guys like Mayfield and Jimmy G out there, there seems to be a better short term answer. And then maybe Carolina trades down to recoup lost picks?

Carolina bout to go through what we've experienced these past 20+ years. 😬

Tepper, like Snyder, thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Meanwhile he doesn't know his asshole from his elbow. Snyder 2.0 

Eh at least we got Rivera, a better staff, n front office out of it I guess. 

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

No they are not. But our fan base thinks Wentz is the worst QB in the league. I wonder how they would feel being Carolina. 😉

Edited by sebestian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

McLaurin will be extended sometime in July.

Love Terry, but to play devils advocate, what is the contractual precedent for him?

I.E. If we go the Cousins route and elect to just let him play out 2022 & then 2023 under the Franchise tag, what contract can a 29 y/o WR without a single 1200 season expect?

Even if he puts up ~2400-2500 yards & ~12 TDs over the next two years... I still dont see the big money contract that has EVER worked out for the team.

I see people pointing to DJ Moore, but he is entering his 5th year at age 25, where Terry is entering year 4 at age 27 with almost identical stats and poor QB play. Allen Robinson as well.

To me, If Terry wants anything more than 4/80M, then Im having serious discussions about moving him for a 1st + mid round picks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

To me, If Terry wants anything more than 4/80M, then Im having serious discussions about moving him for a 1st + mid round picks

The team is caught between a rock and a hard place in this scenario because the first rounder would have to hit, and hit big, to come even close to replace Terry's production.

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

The Athletic's Ben Standig reports "teams are monitoring" Terry McLaurin's contract status "in case an opening to acquire McLaurin emerges."

Head coach Ron Rivera, meanwhile, said the Commanders would "not entertain" any calls about McLaurin. Entering the last year of his rookie deal with Washington, McLaurin could be the next wide receiver to get a shockingly high payday if the Commanders lock him up for the long run. Standig reported that "sources on both sides anticipate intensified extension talks for McLaurin starting around or after the NFL Draft while pointing toward a June or July resolution." McLaurin would make around $20.16 million under the 2023 franchise tag if the two sides can't come to an agreement this summer. McLaurin, entering his age-27 season, has had an exceedingly frustrating stint in the horrendous Washington offense, led last year by Taylor Heinecke, one of the worst starting QBs in the league by many measures. Carson Wentz should be an upgrade for McLaurin and the team's pass catchers, and there's little reason to believe McLaurin won't remain the Commanders' clearcut No. 1 wideout in 2022. A team would have to be ultra-aggressive with an offer to acquire McLaurin before the Commanders start contract extension talks. 

You absolutely have to at least listen to offers.

That doesn't mean you're going to end up trading him but if someone makes an  outrageous knock your socks and jocks off offer with multiple first round picks (including one in next years qb heavy draft) you have to at least consider it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pcbothwel said:

Love Terry, but to play devils advocate, what is the contractual precedent for him?

I.E. If we go the Cousins route and elect to just let him play out 2022 & then 2023 under the Franchise tag, what contract can a 29 y/o WR without a single 1200 season expect?

Even if he puts up ~2400-2500 yards & ~12 TDs over the next two years... I still dont see the big money contract that has EVER worked out for the team.

I see people pointing to DJ Moore, but he is entering his 5th year at age 25, where Terry is entering year 4 at age 27 with almost identical stats and poor QB play. Allen Robinson as well.

To me, If Terry wants anything more than 4/80M, then Im having serious discussions about moving him for a 1st + mid round picks.

I actually think this is a reasonable and balanced view on it. I want a contract sorted pre draft, especially a draft stacked at WR. Picks next year are no good if he were traded. Must be sorted out in the next 3 weeks or so IMO.

Edited by Est.1974

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I actually think this is a reasonable and balanced view on it. I want a contract sorted pre draft, especially a draft stacked at WR. Picks next year are no good if he were traded. Must be sorted out in the next 3 weeks or so IMO.

Yes!

The franchise tag in future seasons will not be vilified by fan bases and looked at as stupid. It’s an effective way to do business in the NFL situationally.  

Edited by wit33

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Yes!

The franchise tag in future seasons will not be vilified by fan bases and looked at as stupid. It’s an effective way to business in the situationally.  

More so the trade aspect I was referring to. 

I’m also sceptical on the notion a WR here gets a 25mil a year. I’d be more than happy to get him extended long term here. Not convinced it is clear cut just yet.

Edited by Est.1974

8 hours ago, sebestian said:

With the trade for Parker, anyone interested in N'keal Harry?

Harry is just not good. I watched him at ASU and I was very skeptical about him as a first or second round pick even coming out of College. His production in College was from being wide open against zone coverages or just bullying DBs physically - he did not have well developed route running ability and he was not good at separating at the top of the route. All of that has been on display as a pro. I would rather have Cam Simms than Harry straight up.

Hard no on this one from me even if he is a free agent.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The team is caught between a rock and a hard place in this scenario because the first rounder would have to hit, and hit big, to come even close to replace Terry's production.

And we don't have a good history when it comes to drafting WR.  Our last high round WR that at least met expectations was Gary Clark (far exceeded in his case, we seem to be boom or bust with high WR picks). While Crowder was an excellent 3 and a good backup to two, Terry has been the last WR we picked that has shown multiple times he can be the 1 and is the first guy we've actually drafted since Clark that has led us in receiving yards for three straight years. For the most part we get top WR production from FAs and trades.