Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

10 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

If we had extended McLaurin last year and paid him the highest contract ever given a WR to that point we probably would’ve saved 10-15 million minimum. Smart teams would have done that. People would’ve freaked out for a day or 2 then someone else would’ve gotten more and we’d have Terry for 5-6 years at a good price.

Would have to be a real brainiac team to pull that off considering you're not allowed to renegotiate rookie contracts until after their third season. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Terry deserves to get paid and he will, but does anyone sees him as DeVante Adams? 

No, but I’ve also only watched Terry with a bad quarterback.

I also wasn’t implying he’d get Devante Adam’s money, just that Adam’s deal in general ups the market on WR contracts.  Especially after Kirk got what he did.

We really need to see the details of the Adams deal because when Christian Kirk's was announced it was eye popping and turns out to really only be a 2 year easy out contract.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2022/3/16/22981524/christian-kirks-contract-breakdown-jaguars

he Jacksonville Jaguars have made a few splashes in 2022 NFL free agency, the most notable being former Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Christian Kirk. The Jaguars plan to sign Kirk to a four-year, $72 million deal with $37 million, including a $20 million signing bonus. The size of the deal turned a lot of heads around the league and among fans, as the average per year stands out as a sizeable amount.

The reality of the deal is that it’s basically a two-year deal worth $37 million. The way the Jaguars structured the Kirk deal, as currently reported albeit not actually official, is after the 2023 season the team can release Kirk and save $11 million against the cap. The team will eat $10 million in dead money, but if Kirk ends up a bust it’s a deal they can easily get out of.

18 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

NFL would have freaked out for doing something amazingly illegal.

Cant sign extensions until start of year 4 in NFL, so he has only been eligible for like 2 days.

Need to get it done now tho

I've had to tell people this rule a zillion times. Its amazing how so many of our fans just have no idea about some of the rules.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CommanderDOOM said:

Because he is a Wr??? Bc he is not Adams.

I actually feel like Green Bay did okay.   As good as Adams is, not having to pay him that frees up a lot of money in the upcoming years to spend elsewhere and you get two pretty good picks.   I am sure they would have rather kept him, but I think they did just fine

11 minutes ago, CommanderDOOM said:

Because he is a Wr??? Bc he is not Adams.

From dinghies to aircraft carriers a high tide lifts ALL boats. 

In other words, whatever McLaurin was going to make before he'll likely make more than that now.

Also the franchise tag for free agent wideouts will be raised accordingly after Adams new contract is factored in.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I actually feel like Green Bay did okay.   As good as Adams is, not having to pay him that frees up a lot of money in the upcoming years to spend elsewhere and you get two pretty good picks.   I am sure they would have rather kept him, but I think they did just fine

All that should matter to the Packers is giving themselves the best chance to win a SB in the twilight of Rodgers career. That’s it. They could draft another Davante Adams in April and he might not even be good until Rodgers is retired, if ever. 

It turns out it wasn’t GB’s choice, bc they were actually willing to match the Raiders contract offer and Adams chose Vegas. So they don’t even agree with your excuses for them lol. 

Terry was ranked #24 in yds with a below avg QB.  He's arguably ranked somewhere around the top 12 WRs in the league. He's also hitting his prime and has a stronger arm spinning it his way this year. Of course they have to extend him, but they can negotiate at his current performance metrics and WR salary specs with incentives to make him the highest paid WR when he earns it. That targets at a Mike Evans level minimum and incentives bonus of +5M.

He'll cost about 20M per year at the current market probably.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Have to see the details but I was thinking we'd be paying Terry somewhere in the $20 mil/yr range.  Man, these contracts are getting ridiculous!

I was thinking more along the lines of about $25 mill on average a year.  The guaranteed money is the big deal though.  

• Like 1

Obviously we want Terry resigned but the Adams signing isn’t comparable. Adams wanted more money than Hopkins which he got. I love Terry but no way you can compare him to DHop or Adams yet. 

I really think we are gonna wait to see what AJ Brown and Dionte Johnson gets signed before resigning Terry. I think that’s a mistake. Be proactive not reactive. I think Terry gets a contract around 4 years $100mil with maybe $45 guaranteed. It would still allow him to be about 30 when his contract ends. I would prefer a 6-7 year contract with around $22mil avg so he will always be a Redskin

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I've had to tell people this rule a zillion times. Its amazing how so many of our fans just have no idea about some of the rules.

Is it amazing though?

Have you ever been part of a game day thread?

Washington would have $100 million in dead cap money every year after every player gets cut each week.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, skinsfan93 said:

Obviously we want Terry resigned but the Adams signing isn’t comparable. Adams wanted more money than Hopkins which he got. I love Terry but no way you can compare him to DHop or Adams yet. 

I really think we are gonna wait to see what AJ Brown and Dionte Johnson gets signed before resigning Terry. I think that’s a mistake. Be proactive not reactive. I think Terry gets a contract around 4 years $100mil with maybe $45 guaranteed. It would still allow him to be about 30 when his contract ends. I would prefer a 6-7 year contract with around $22mil avg so he will always be a Redskin

There's no reason to extend on a 4 yr deal.

5 yr minimum is good for both sides and both can have option after year 3.