Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Is he really worth throwing the bag at though? Terry is special. But he is nowhere close to Adams special. He just isnt. He is not a generational talent at WR. He is very good. But not elite. At least IMO. 

Ridder/Strong would be my guess. Actually Strong is a great fit behind Wentz. Very similar players. 

Same way you'd throw a bag at Stafford even though he isn't Brady, you throw a bag at McLaurin even though he isn't Adams.

He's a legit #1 receiver AND homegrown AND a culture guy / tone-setter AND a team captain AND has been here thru Ron's whole tenure / the rebuild. The value in that goes beyond purely on-field performance. 

Jon Allen, Terry McLaurin, Chase Young, and Carson Wentz are all on the team's banner image for a reason. They're the foundation of the team and will all be here for the long haul. Like I said earlier, you pay your stars - especially if they're homegrown - and go for value everywhere else. 

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Interesting take on the Adams trade.  Apparently Rodgers knew Adams was going to be moved.  Earlier in the off season, Rodgers mentioned that he did not want to play w/o Adams, I believe.  200 milly might make some change their mind.  If I have learned one thing in my 45b years of this life is its always about the cash, ALWAYS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Is he really worth throwing the bag at though? Terry is special. But he is nowhere close to Adams special. He just isnt. He is not a generational talent at WR. He is very good. But not elite. At least IMO. 

Ridder/Strong would be my guess. Actually Strong is a great fit behind Wentz. Very similar players. 

The only thing I've heard about Strong is that he's a whiner.  Of course that's what others have said. Look at all the things said about Wentz and many other QBs that are said.  LOL

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

AND homegrown AND a culture guy / tone-setter AND a team captain AND has been here thru Ron's whole tenure / the rebuild.

So you will completely ruin your cap for this? Love Terry. Best player on our team for the past 3 years. But I am not about wrecking my cap for him. Neither was GB for Adams as they traded him. WR's are great. But they dont come anywhere close to making your team. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Thats fine. The market can say whatever it wants. IF terry can get that kind of money you have to let him go. One thing I will add to this is the Carson Wentz trade doesnt look so ridiculous right now. When your WR is trying to get paid more than your QB the league is out of control.

I can see your point but it’s all about when the contract is signed and what teams are willing to do. Mike Williams just signed a $20mil avg contract and Herbert is still on his rookie contract and making less. Wentz signed his contract in 2019 and Terry’s contract is up after this year. If you sell your house today it probably will sell for a lot more next year. Its just the way it is. 

Hell look at the money the Dodgers are spending the past few years. Bottom line sports isn’t about fairness or reason. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The only thing I've heard about Strong is that he's a whiner.  Of course that's what others have said. Look at all the things said about Wentz and many other QBs that are said.  LOL

Watch Strongs tape and then talk to us. The guy is a mid/deep ball monster. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

So you will completely ruin your cap for this? Love Terry. Best player on our team for the past 3 years. But I am not about wrecking my cap for him. Neither was GB for Adams as they traded him. WR's are great. But they dont come anywhere close to making your team. 

Good players cost money. What's your alternative? Let him walk and start the likes of Dyami Brown and Cam Sims?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lol at people talking about ruining our cap. What world have you been living in? Teams will be $70M over the cap and make a few restructures/moves then sign another high priced FA. 

Sign your best players, especially the homegrown ones and figure out next years cap issues next year. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If you are going to make this assertion then you need to calculate $25M as a % of the overall salary cap and compare to the % of cap #1 receivers have historically got on contending teams in year 1 of their new deals and show that it's way high - otherwise I don't accept the characterization.

Full disclosure: I have no idea how it stacks to the historicals but I'm too lazy to compile the data myself lol

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Interesting take on the Adams trade.  Apparently Rodgers knew Adams was going to be moved.  Earlier in the off season, Rodgers mentioned that he did not want to play w/o Adams, I believe.  200 milly might make some change their mind.  If I have learned one thing in my 45b years of this life is its always about the cash, ALWAYS!

Rodgers knew. And he likely signed off. If Adams was going to hold out and not play on the tag it was better for them to move him than keep him. The assets can translate to help for Rodgers. Adams on the bench doesn’t.

• Like 2

WalterFootball.com: 2022 NFL Free Agents - Inside Linebackers

Maybe we should change the subject, as you are both making intelligent and valid points.  

Hear is an updated list of available Inside linebackers avail in FA.

On a side note, did something happen to Jaylon Smith, I usually stay in tune with NFL news, I know he was released twice last year, any info would be much appreciated.  I totally forgot about him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Good players cost money. What's your alternative? Let him walk and start the likes of Dyami Brown and Cam Sims?

Terry was a 3rd rounder brother. Lets not act like the draft cant replenish your WR room. Again. I love Terry. But I am not paying him anywhere close to Adams numbers. 

3 minutes ago, moondog said:

Lol at people talking about ruining our cap. What world have you been living in? Teams will be $70M over the cap and make a few restructures/moves then sign another high priced FA. 

Sign your best players, especially the homegrown ones and figure out next years cap issues next year. 

Which winning teams are ?

Edited by clskinsfan

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Rodgers knew. And he likely signed off. If Adams was going to hold out and not play on the tag it was better for them to move him than keep him. The assets can translate to help for Rodgers. Adams on the bench doesn’t.

KDawg do you think we hae a good shot at trading down with them as WR becomes a huge need for them, I would presume.  

3 minutes ago, sebestian said:

KDawg do you think we hae a good shot at trading down with them as WR becomes a huge need for them, I would presume.  

Maybe. All depends what exactly they are trying to accomplish. I think sometimes teams outsmart themselves with this stuff.

Trading down seems fantastic in theory… but you’re moving yourself out of elite player territory, and letting someone else in it… on purpose. 

That’s not to say there isn’t value in trading down. But if GB called us saying they want to move up and signs indicate they want a receiver… we should probably think about what receiver and why… and then take them our damn selves.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Apparently, Watson to decide between Atlanta and New Orleans.  If he goes to Atlanta, Ryan maybe to the Colts, the Colts become dangerous.  Crazy off season.

Source; Bleacher Report mobile app

How funny is that? Cleveland pissed of a competent QB for a guy accused of sexual assault 21 times. And pissed him off enough that will end up trading him for a 3rd rounder. Then they dont land the sexual assaulter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Maybe. All depends what exactly they are trying to accomplish. I think sometimes teams outsmart themselves with this stuff.

Trading down seems fantastic in theory… but you’re moving yourself out of elite player territory, and letting someone else in it… on purpose. 

That’s not to say there isn’t value in trading down. But if GB called us saying they want to move up and signs indicate they want a receiver… we should probably think about what receiver and why… and then take them our damn selves.

I agree about teams outsmarting themselves.  It happens often.  That's why BPA, excluding the QB is the best strategy to draft.  Like if Sauce is avail at 11(unlikely) I take him in  a heartbeat even though it is not a need in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Terry was a 3rd rounder brother. Lets not act like the draft cant replenish your WR room. Again. I love Terry. But I am not paying him anywhere close to Adams numbers. 

Which winning teams are ?

Teams that know that you need proven talent to win.  Look at teams such as the Rams and Saints.  They’ve become contenders by opening up their wallets and by executing well timed trades to acquire superstars.  The cap to these two teams is practically meaningless, but yet those teams are always in prime position to spend and trade when they have a need.  I think with teams like the Bucs and Rams winning Super Bowls using these methods, it proves that those who are aggressive and smart usually find their way to contention.  We can’t just continue to sit on our hands and let potential talent walk out the door.  It’s not only bad for business, but it’s bad for fan morale.

Lets also remember that we generally have a terrible track record in drafting WR’s (especially since Snyder bought the team), and in drafting QB’s as well.  Terry might be the only WR we’ve drafted since the posse that is a legitimate Pro Bowl WR.  Considering our awful track record in drafting WR’s, why would we let our only legitimate WR walk?  Do you think they can just draft another Pro Bowl WR like it’s nothing?  I don’t give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to replacing talent through the draft.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Watch Strongs tape and then talk to us. The guy is a mid/deep ball monster. 

He has some red flag concerns with his knee surgeries.  I've watched tape on him and know he has good arm strength and touch with the ball.  He's been compared to Drew Bledsoe. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

How funny is that? Cleveland pissed of a competent QB for a guy accused of sexual assault 21 times. And pissed him off enough that will end up trading him for a 3rd rounder. Then they dont land the sexual assaulter. 

Only in Cleveland....

Glad it isn't Washington in this situation

Would have been good with Mayfield for a third over the Wentz trade

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

You know what.  Cleveland should and will get exactly what they deserve.  That is about as low as you can go.  You call your starter a child, because you are courting another option.  Then once that better option says no to you, now Baker is our starter, your our man.  I don't blame Baker at all.  I am not a big Baker fan, but that is as disrespectful as it gets.  Management is a skill learned through experience and knowledge.  That situation reminds of when Bruce could not say Kirk Cousins name correctly, smh.  I simply don't get it.  But I am with you, Baker is out, and good for him.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

He has some red flag concerns with his knee surgeries.  I've watched tape on him and know he has good arm strength and touch with the ball.  He's been compared to Drew Bledsoe. 

Oh he definitely has his issues as well. Staring down receivers, late too reads and not protecting himself among them. But he would be a great QB behind Wentz. In fact that was my comp for him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Oh he definitely has his issues as well. Staring down receivers, late too reads and not protecting himself among them. But he would be a great QB behind Wentz. In fact that was my comp for him.

Due to the knee it may be closer to Joe Willie Namath in short time.