Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

17 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

The thing is he was offered almost the exact same to stay here and left for a tiny bit more to a team that is worse then here…

n

They would not have had to cut all these folks if they had not traded for a blah qb.

We didn't have to release any player because we signed Wentz, we can get 15m cap easily by reworking Wentz deal. We could re-sign both McLaurin and Payne to LTD with very small cap hits in 2022. I also think that Flowers and Loannidis were asked to re-do there deals and didn't want to. 

• Like 2

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

That's one of those moves I'd wait on the details from. Good chance there's a lot of funny money in there. 

Siciliano said that their is, has to be.  Even the crew at NFL Network were like what???????  I think its like 17.5 average per but it is heavily back loaded, just what I heard.  Oh and the signed Oj Howard as well, the Bills that is.

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

We didn't have to release any player because we signed Wentz, we can get 15m cap easily by reworking Wentz deal. We could re-sign both McLaurin and Payne to LTD with very small cap hits in 2022. I also think that Flowers and Loannidis were asked to re-do his deal and didn't want to

👍

Edited by RWJ

41 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Your "Going all in" sounds more like keeping the team together I'm describing.

The average reader, including myself, doesn't equate going all in to not involve making major acquisitions in free agency to get over the top. 

But let's say the plan is to keep this thing together as long as we can.  Isn't Wentz contract up in three years? Is that the window you are talking about?

Are we basically saying we should not expect any major free agent signings over the next three years and instead focus on increasing our talent level to contender status exclusively through the draft?  That's really hard, and even if we have no choice, we have to accept that rookies typically don't come out the gate as probowlers and will need years to develop. 

That's a lot to ask for in three years.  And keep in mind a lot of what the Rams did to stack their roster was via trades, which make it even harder to draft talent.  I don't believe we are in position to do what the Rams did, we don't have the cap space for multiple high-proced veteran contracts and need our draft picks badly to compensate for players we may have no choice but to let go "to keep this thing 

I appreciate the discussion, but I’ve lost what we are debating at this point lol.

All I was saying is Washington is in a good place financially and can go any direction they choose with constructing the roster moving forward. 

• Like 2

This is some disgusting ****

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/2022/03/16/agent-for-defensive-tackle-matt-ioannidis-is-not-happy-with-the-washington-commanders-2022-nfl-free-agency/

The release of Ioannidis wasn’t a total shock, as we’d discussed him as a possible cut when discussing ways the Commanders could create more cap room. However, the timing was curious. Why release Ioannidis just hours before the new NFL league year? Why not release him before, allowing him a better chance at finding a new team before the start of free agency?

We are going backwards talentwise right now, cutting Matt and Flowers feels gross AF.

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I appreciate the discussion, but I’ve lost what we are debating at this point lol.

All I was saying is Washington is in a good place financially and can go any direction they choose with constructing the roster moving forward. 

It all good, that is what we were debating because I disagree with you : )

19 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Not with this team they haven’t done anything right for decades

None of the people responsible for all that crap are anywhere near this team except for garden gnome owner and it looks like he is staying out of it at the moment. As a fan of this team I am willing to let things play out before I lose my mind over loosing a couple of good backups.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

We could re-sign both McLaurin and Payne to LTD with very small cap hits in 2022.

Maybe today's moves were designed to absorb a decent portion of LTD for TM and DP in 2022.  We are 68 under the cap for 2023 (assuming 225 in 2023), but that doesn't include this and next year's rookies and free agent classes, and TM and DP deals, also I think sweats 5th year option isn't included in there yet.   That 62 mil will dry up pretty quick, especially considering we don't have much dead weight to shed.  I don't like the idea of front loading contracts since it invites the player to get disgruntled after big money has been paid and they want to keep up with the Jones', but maybe getting decent chunks under the 2022 cap will allow us to keep Payne, sweat, Terry, chase, and Carson/QB for the long haul.  

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Howard at 3.5mil for one year seems like a steal for the Bills. Would have been nice for washington to be in on that. 😒

Unless he makes a marked leap forward with another year out from his achilles injury, he's a shell of what he was--and what he was, was still all potential because he never came close to putting it together even when healthy. It was always "this is the year he harnesses his talent", and it never materialized. He has been sapped of all of his athleticism and speed since he got back from his achilles injury, that's why his deal was so cheap. I'd have been fine taking that flier as well, but just wanted to give context in the form of how washed he looked last season. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Howard at 3.5mil for one year seems like a steal for the Bills. Would have been nice for washington to be in on that. 😒

If you decided to do a one year prove it deal hoping that you have a great year and get a fat bag next year, would you be more inclined to trust Josh Allen and the juggernaught Bills offense or Carson Wentz and the shimmying Commanders offense?

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Look who his QB was, Martin.  Is it possible that Wentz/Ryan does a better job at checking down his WR/TEs than Baker did?

Baker Mayfield is a good QB when healthy. Staying healthy has been a problem. Njoko out produced Hooper in terms of yards and TDs with slightly fewer catches. 

• Like 1