Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

48 minutes ago, RWJ said:

So far, we have stayed in house.  Players that are cut don't count against the comp. pick(s).  Why not sign Wagner if we can convince him to come to the EC, Hooper and that takes two big needs of the table for the upcoming draft. 

Hooper only had 38 catches at 9 yards a catch last season in 16 starts. He was not much more productive the season before. 

Bates already gives us what he could bring.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

With McLaurin, Brown, Samuel, and Sims in tow, that WR is filling up and still lacks a true #2 receiver. Plus there's a bevy of fringy guys fighting for maybe one spot I'd guess Milne would have the edge there. Plus I haven't mentioned DeAndre Carter yet. So anyone else brought in not named Carter should be a #2. Otherwise its not worth it

We absolutely should add a #2 receiver. Stacks of options in the draft. Couple left in FA. We may go after Hooper to pair with Thomas as receiving TEs.

We now need interior OL badly. DL depth. Still need a starting LB and DB depth. 

Don’t care which way we go about it but 2 or 3 more players need to be added in FA.

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Hooper only had 38 catches at 9 yards a catch last season in 16 starts. He was not much more productive the season before. 

Bates already gives us what he could bring.

Look who his QB was, Martin.  Is it possible that Wentz/Ryan does a better job at checking down his WR/TEs than Baker did?

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

“Going all in” for a SB window would be manipulating the cap to stack a roster to contend for 2-3 seasons. For example the potential future deals you mention in regards to Mcclaurin or Payne can easily be kicked into the future (lowering the cap hit early on significantly) if team felt a SB window presented itself. Take a look at the contracts of Donald, Kupp, and Ramsey on the Rams last year for the “all in” window. The Packers and how they structured Rodgers deal is another example of going all in. 

Washington has been mediocre is previous years with a similar cap situation to a SB contending team. Bruce Allen did clear this up, so it’s been awhile. The cap situation is great shape. Admittedly, I dislike giving 13% of the cap for a top 15 type QB, but there’s little future financial risk in an attempt to strike lightening in a bottle with a high ceiling QB. 

Let’s say Wentz rediscovers himself and leads to 12 win season and a playoff win. The team would be in fantastic shape to be aggressive and “go all in” the following season. The other side of it is the Titans, they’ve just jumped out of their SB window and are now facing “some” repercussions for manipulating the cap, leading to their SB window potentially closing. 

The roster continues to improve while being a financially responsible “middling” team. When ready to rise to elite, go “all in”. 

Your "Going all in" sounds more like keeping the team together I'm describing.

The average reader, including myself, doesn't equate going all in to not involve making major acquisitions in free agency to get over the top. 

But let's say the plan is to keep this thing together as long as we can.  Isn't Wentz contract up in three years? Is that the window you are talking about?

Are we basically saying we should not expect any major free agent signings over the next three years and instead focus on increasing our talent level to contender status exclusively through the draft?  That's really hard, and even if we have no choice, we have to accept that rookies typically don't come out the gate as probowlers and will need years to develop. 

That's a lot to ask for in three years.  And keep in mind a lot of what the Rams did to stack their roster was via trades, which make it even harder to draft talent.  I don't believe we are in position to do what the Rams did, we don't have the cap space for multiple high-proced veteran contracts and need our draft picks badly to compensate for players we may have no choice but to let go "to keep this thing together"

43 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

My oh my whatever else you may think about Wentz he certainly has unforgetable facial features.

A career as a leading in man in the cinema awaits his retirement from the gridiron.

The Robert Redford of our times.

When will those jackets come for sale? I need it so bad...

• Like 1

Ron is going to have to play his starters A LOT more this preseason.  Especially his O line.  

JP Finley made a great point: Ron spent all this time and constructed his sales pitch around the fact that we have the 6th ranked Oline.  Now 2/5ths of them are gone.  I don't care who you bring in (and they better be damn good), they're going to need time to develop chemistry.  

• Like 3

Just now, Redwards said:

Ron is going to have to play his starters A LOT more this preseason.  Especially his O line.  

JP Finley made a great point: Ron spent all this time and constructed his sales pitch around the fact that we have the 6th ranked Oline.  Now 2/5ths of them are gone.  I don't care who you bring in (and they better be damn good), they're going to need time to develop chemistry.  

You don't need to make a sales pitch when you trade for a guy without a No-Trade Clause. 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Some really bad moves to pay for a qb that is going to fail here

If you can see the future so well, what are the lotto numbers for the mega millions? No move can be known to be good or bad yet. I undestand the distrust of the organization, but try to see the sliver of hope. A qb who is a legit NFL starter and cap space to sign some talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, panahoo said:

If you can see the future so well, what are the lotto numbers for the mega millions? No move can be known to be good or bad yet. I undestand the distrust of the organization, but try to see the sliver of hope. A qb who is a legit NFL starter and cap space to sign some talent.

So no offensive line but a qb with a shaky past … 

I'm a bit confused and I need clarification from someone more knowledgeable than myself (which narrows it down to about 99% of the forum).

Since we now have tenders on two kickers (Slye and Brian Johnson) does that mean both of their salaries are fully guaranteed if they sign them? 

Not sure how this works.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye