Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ionnaidis agent is pissed but bottom line is things changed from the combine clearly

https://apnews.com/article/washington-commanders-nfl-sports-brandon-scherff-jonathan-allen-a3bfc9a9a65e81750b5838413930bc6c

Herman told The AP that Washington senior VP of football administration Rob Rogers lied to him and fellow agent Jared Fox during a meeting at the scouting combine earlier this month by saying the team had no plans to release Ioannidis.

“We don’t particularly care to be lied to our face,” Herman said. “They took him out of the free agent market now for two days. That puts us now at a disadvantage because other teams have paid other defensive linemen contracts, and (Ioannidis) hasn’t been able to take advantage of that. That’s not the way you conduct business in the National Football League.”

A Commanders spokesman said the team had no comment.

The conversation at the combine occurred before the Commanders acquired Wentz and his hefty cap hit from the Indianapolis Colts. Wentz counts $28.3 million against the cap this season, and adding him gave Washington limited space to use in free agency.

They gave themselves plenty of room by cutting ties with Flowers and Ioannidis and will have even more when they formally release Landon Collins after June 1. The veteran safety was midway through an $84 million, six-year contract.

Ioannidis had one year left on his deal. A 2016 fifth-round pick out of Temple, he played in 73 games and started 40 for Washington, making 175 tackles and 24½ sacks.

Dirty if true.  This is why this team misses Eric Schaffer.  All that knew Eric knew he was one of the best cap gurus in the NFL. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Wow, they cut Ioannidis?  Was there a bad former Panthers DT that became available?  So they've given up their #3 and #4 players from the teams one strong position.  Now they have to replace Ioannidis 55% of snaps last season, as a good DT.

Ron seems to be getting closer to his end goal of truly recreating his perennial 7-9 panthers.  

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Dirty if true.  This is why this team misses Eric Schaffer.  All that knew Eric knew he was one of the best cap gurus in the NFL. 

To play devils advocate, if an agent is asking a team if they plan on releasing him they already have an inkling that its possible. They have to know that if the team picks up players requiring cap room later then this might be an outcome. If the team does not at that time have a plan to release him then I would not expect them to tell the agent that they were planning on it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I mean, plans do change.  When to tell someone though is a challenge if it gets dragged out like this until FA is already ongoing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CommDownMan said:

I mean, plans do change.  When to tell someone though is a challenge if it gets dragged out like this until FA is already ongoing.

It all depends on the next move. If they say. We thought this top safety would be impossible for us to get but we talked. Saw an unexpected opportunity and had to make room fine. 

But NFL is part about having a deep roster. Players will get injured. You need depth. We don't have a lot of picks. So you need to have a plan if you cut good depth players. 

2 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

This is my take. It's still the second day of free agency. I don't buy we did Matt "dirty". It's not like we cut him the last week of training camp.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

6 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

I understand why Ion is frustrated, but ultimately, plans change based on the landscape.  If that caused their plans for Ion to change, then I want a FO that makes the best decision for the team.... that doesn't make it dirty.

On top of that, they are releasing him prior to the official start of FA at 400 today.  That's not really late... dropping him a week from now would be late...

Edited by DiscoBob

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

This is my take. It's still the second day of free agency. I don't buy we did Matt "dirty". It's not like we cut him the last week of training camp.

And that’s just the legal tampering period, officially FA hasn’t started.  Probably could have handled it a bit better though…