Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

They never really seemed to be all that interested in keeping Mckissic.  Which I might feel better about if I had full confidence in Gibson, but since don't.  For durability and ball security reasons.

They might know something about his injury that we don't know.  

Also, they might know that they think he reached his potential, and he's close to 30, and it's not worth it for them.

And finally, they might believe they can find a younger, cheaper version of him in the draft.

I said this in another post, they are BANKING on Samuel being healthy and contributing the level they expected.  If he doesn't, it's going to be a HUGE blow to the team, and to Ron.  

Plan A for this off-season really is improvement from guys who are already here, or were brought in last year.  WJIII, Samuel leading the way, and return to form for Sweat and Young.  

That, coupled with professional QB play, consistent OL play, and a few other pieces should be good enough for 10-11 wins.  Then they can figure out if Wentz is the guy long-term.  If he is, then they have him at good, non-guaranteed numbers the next few years.  If he's not, he's gone, and you're going to need the cap room to go fishing again next year.  Or the draft capital to move up to get a guy.

Btw, there is a way which TH will play next year: IF they are 2-7 or something like that, Wentz is getting benched sometime in the second half of the season no matter what, even if he's playing well, because they will make damn sure the 3rd round pick stays a 3rd round pick and doesn't escalate to a second round pick.  So either a rookie or TH will finish out the season in that scenario.  (Which, for the record, I don't expect.)

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Maybe but, he’s one of the best weapons in the NFL. Makes sense for him to leave but makes no sense for us to not keep him.  

I like JD.  He's not one of the best weapons in the NFL.  Every single team has a guy who's a better weapon than him (including us in McLaurin.  He's AT BEST the 40th best weapon in the league.  Probably closer to 50th.  

He's good.  He had a purpose.  I wish he was back.  But he's not one of the best weapons in the league.  

Now, if you were to say the same about Terry, I'd 100% agree with you. 

51 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

@KDawg talked all season about Gibson not being a bell cow. I've got Gibson on fantasy so I don't like the idea of that, but it still does make sense.  I don't know if we need another McKissic/Chris Thompson or a Betts to Gibson's Portis.  Unless I'm not understanding anything which is a REALLY likely outcome.

OMG. Ladell Betts. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.  A long time.    What was that posters name who had an absolutely unhealthy fascination with Ladell Betts?  McD or something or McD5 or something like that?  I miss those days.  

I think we're going to get a 2 new RBs.  I think we're going to get a power RB, and I think we're going to get another 3rd down RB.  One in FA, and one in the draft.  I'm not sure Patterson's roster spot is safe.  Also, I think they're going to use Samuel (assuming health) as a RB as well.  

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've heard Standig and Keim both reference they think they are bringing a RB to help Gibson.  If they are right, they will either sign a FA or draft a dude.  But according to them a RB is on the agenda.  Sounds like more of a 1b type to Gibson being 1a.  I presume a RB who can play power to add a dimension to Gibson's strength which IMO is more zone.

I'd be absolutely shocked if they don't do both.  Sign a guy AND draft a guy.  And probably bring in a few UDFAs.  

35 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Good points but how can you count on Samuel being a part-time RB when he couldn't get on the field as a WR? 

Well, his injury was an off-season injury, and he hasn't had an injury history.  He has been used as a RB/WR combo before in 2020.  

It's a huge question mark to be sure. But I think they're going in with the assumption he has to be healthy.   

26 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

J.D. is unfortunate, but he is replacable during an off-season. (Not so much IN season, but during the off-season, you can find another J.D. McKissic.

Landon Collins stunk like the south end of a north bound skunk most of the time he was here.

Brandon Scherff was overpaid for the position he plays, and is hurt about 1/4 of the games played.  

Tim Settle is the 4th string DT.  

IF the two 3rd round picks turn into a franchise QB, that is an absolute bargain.  If it doesn't, that's an unfortunate waste.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Bobby returns

I am taking FULL CREDIT for this signing!!!

I just posted a telegram from Rivera where he says no signings today then poof within minutes there's a signing!

Can't  be a coincidence.

I reverse cursed Rivera into signing somebody. He was reading ExtremeSkins saw my post and said, "You know what I'll show CITR who the hell is running this show. Hey Marty sign McCain right friggin' NOW!!!"

Yess!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Wonder if we were in on Williams, missed out so quickly brought McCain back?

Thought the same.

7 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Wait, did we sign McCain?  LOL

He and WJ3 played better later in the sesason.  I think at the right price they liked him as an option.  5.5 mill isn't massive for a guy that improved his play and creates some continuity. 

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Deandre Carter next?

I hope so. He was good last year when forced into duty because Samuel was hurt, and he was good on returns.

I can't imagine there's a huge market for him, especially with a draft that is expected to be pretty full of WR talent.  

That said, they're not going to overpay for him, because I am pretty sure they think they can find the next him somewhere else if they have to.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't really have a guy yet, its still temporary.  As the draft gets closer, we typically all make lists of our guys.   I've watched 6 RBs among 25 guys I am compiling stats on.  I'll eventually watch them all.   So I got ways to go. 

I posted before the combine pushing both Rachaad White and Kyren Williams on the same day on the draft thread as intriguing pass catching RBs.  But as I've said multiple times on the draft thread, Williams clearly bombed the combine whereas White killed it.  So while I found the two players intriguing.  The fact that White had the 2nd best RAS among the top RBs at the combine and Kyren basically bombed the combine -- I would take White > Williams.   As much as I enjoy Williams pass blocking and he has decent hands, too.  I still probably won't touch him until the late rounds now.  White had a monster combine and his stats were solid too -- 1000 yards on the ground, 456 yards in the passing ground.

I recall you like James Cook.   As I told you, I was obsessed with his brother before that draft.  I spent a lot of time pushing Dalvin.  So i look forward to watching James.  He certainly is one of the more hyped prospects among mock drafters as are some other RBs who I haven't watched yet.   

Yea, Cook is my 3rd ranked RB.  Hall and Walker are top two, but they'll be gone in the 2nd round  and I don't want to draft a RB in the first two rounds.

5.5 Mil aint a lot to pay for continuity. There may have been better guys available but there is value in retaining familiarity on the back end. I figured of all our leaving FAs, McCain was the one they wanted most.

With him back the starter FS role is filled. Now we just need to beef up depth a S overall

19 hours ago, ntotoro said:

Don't forget Scherff was drafted as a Tackle and was moved to Guard because reasons.

Those reasons being his arms, which were shorter than CeeLo Green's and earned him the nickname T-Rex.  He had to hire a guy just to wipe his ass after a bathroom break.

[Am I doing the "bitter-trashing-an-ex-Commander" correctly?]

• Like 2
  • Haha 11
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I was one of the few on here that said Deandre Carter was making the team last year. We needed a reliable returner and I believed he was our best option. Many thought Milne deserved the spot ahead of him but he was a rookie and couldn’t be trusted to be consistent.

With that said, I don’t believe we should spend much money to resign Carter. We can pick up someone off the streets to return kicks, late round pick or Milne is an option. If we can get him for 2/$3mil then that would be fine but anything more would be a bad decision no matter the continuity aspect. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan93 said:

I was one of the few on here that said Deandre Carter was making the team last year. We needed a reliable returner and I believed he was our best option. Many thought Milne deserved the spot ahead of him but he was a rookie and couldn’t be trusted to be consistent.

With that said, I don’t believe we should spend much money to resign Carter. We can pick up someone off the streets to return kicks, late round pick or Milne is an option. If we can get him for 2/$3mil then that would be fine but anything more would be a bad decision no matter the continuity aspect. 

I think Carter gave us something as a returner that we haven't had in a long time. I also think he came up with some clutch catches during the year. I would be reluctant to let him walk if we can sign him at a reasonable rate.

• Like 1

Just now, Chris 44 said:

I think Carter gave us something as a returner that we haven't had in a long time. I also think he came up with some clutch catches during the year. I would be reluctant to let him walk if we can sign him at a reasonable rate.

Agreed, he is a player that just seems dangerous. I hope we can keep him as a returner and for what he brings as a WR.