Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

27 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Former Eagle and he and Wentz are pals...

Hicks would be a solid pickup.  Check out his stats the past few years.  Very good!  Jordan Hicks Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Yea, I take them with a grain of salt but he has that Panther connection and a fill in guy.  I think we'll be bargin shopping in FA.

Hicks would be a solid pickup.  :)  Donte, I hope not but that's what happens when you have a coach and GM that drafted you.  Some good; some not so good.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hicks would be a solid pickup.  Check out his stats the past few years.  Very good!  Jordan Hicks Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

There's another intriguing Denver guy, Alexander Johnson who is an ILB, 30yo and coming off a PEC tear.  There seems to be some decent ILB options out there albeit older.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/alexander-johnson/15267

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

There's another intriguing Denver guy, Alexander Johnson who is an ILB, 30yo and coming off a PEC tear.  There seems to be some decent ILB options out there albeit older.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/alexander-johnson/15267

He's got some good numbers too but how hard is it to come back from a torn pectoral muscle, I wonder?  

1836252626_Screenshot2022-03-10193244.thumb.png.b636a68cc152e0a26dc4a2453ec49161.png

36 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Anyone have ideas or info on who may be released/restructured to create cap space other then Collins?  I hope they create a boatload.  

We would save $6.9MM if we let Matt L go, that's the biggest one that stands out to me because he's a depth player who hasn't really progressed.

After that there's not a lot to work with due to high cap penalties or we need the player.

We have to restructure Wentz or we wont have any money for free agency.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

1836252626_Screenshot2022-03-10193244.thumb.png.b636a68cc152e0a26dc4a2453ec49161.png

We would save $6.9MM if we let Matt L go, that's the biggest one that stands out to me because he's a depth player who hasn't really progressed.

After that there's not a lot to work with due to high cap penalties or we need the player.

Thanks.  Was Flowers another option.  Extending him and something I heard about WJII contract could be tweaked.  We need cap space at least enough for Campbell.  We got our QB on offense, know lets get the best Mike LB available and it only costs money.  

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We can save 13m by restructuring Wentz and we can do it without his permission. Re-sign Flowers to a 3 year deal with a small cap hit in 2022 can save us around 6m. If we let Loannidis go like you say we save 7m, we can then give Payne a LTD with a small 2022 cap hit that could save 6m,  That's 32m there, we could even use the post june cut on Collins which changes the cap saving from 6m to 13m. So that's between 38 and 42m and if we really want to make some big signings we could re-do Allen's contract giving him a bigger bonus and dropping his salary by as much as 8m for 2022. There you go we can save up to 50m if we wanted to. Just look at the Packers, still 40m over the cap and giving Rodgers 50m and Adams 20m franchise Tag, getting round the cap is easy, just push back contracts to further years, the cap figure is going to rise dramatically due to betting in the NFL. 

12 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Thanks.  Was Flowers another option.  Extending him and something I heard about WJII contract could be tweaked.  We need cap space at least enough for Campbell.  We got our QB on offense, know lets get the best Mike LB available and it only costs money.  

Signing Flowers definitely helps but what worries me is we need money to extend Terry now, if he makes it the season with no long term deal say goodbye.

Then you have free agency, remember we need around $4.5MM for the rookie pool and if you look at our last 5 years we have spent as much as $4MM during the season signing players due to injured starters.  The cap we have now covers the rookie pool and what might be needed throughout the year with maybe $2MM - $3MM to spare.

We basically have no money to spend as of right now..

10 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

We can save 13m by restructuring Wentz and we can do it without his permission. Re-sign Flowers to a 3 year deal with a small cap hit in 2022 can save us around 6m. If we let Loannidis go like you say we save 7m, we can then give Payne a LTD with a small 2022 cap hit that could save 6m,  That's 32m there, we could even use the post june cut on Collins which changes the cap saving from 6m to 13m. So that's between 38 and 42m and if we really want to make some big signings we could re-do Allen's contract giving him a bigger bonus and dropping his salary by as much as 8m for 2022. There you go we can save up to 50m if we wanted to. Just look at the Packers, still 40m over the cap and giving Rodgers 50m and Adams 20m franchise Tag, getting round the cap is easy, just push back contracts to further years, the cap figure is going to rise dramatically due to betting in the NFL. 

Yep, just need to get moving with free agency starting on Monday and Terry needing to get paid.

Your list looks great to me but that's a lot of deals that need to get done in the next 3 days.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

He didn't want to negotiate.  He was ticked about us trading for Wentz which took up much of our cap space.  Got to be a team player on and off the field.  Off the field by restructuring.  He chose not to, so he hits FA. 

This is still a business, we can only ask to change what we agreed to pay them but so much before they say exactly what Collins said.  We might not like it, but that's business, so there's clearly a line when it comes to being a "team player", and that's fair.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Based on this and some other posts, I'm leaning towards sitting out free agency and focusing in protecting our cap space for resigning Scary Terry next offseason and event we have an emergency in 2022 season:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/3/10/22970055/solving-the-commanders-salary-cap-issue-created-by-the-carson-wentz-trade

Not sure what kinda rebuild this is if we were this close to being out of cap space once we traded for a veteran QB.

35 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

We can save 13m by restructuring Wentz and we can do it without his permission. Re-sign Flowers to a 3 year deal with a small cap hit in 2022 can save us around 6m. If we let Loannidis go like you say we save 7m, we can then give Payne a LTD with a small 2022 cap hit that could save 6m,  That's 32m there, we could even use the post june cut on Collins which changes the cap saving from 6m to 13m. So that's between 38 and 42m and if we really want to make some big signings we could re-do Allen's contract giving him a bigger bonus and dropping his salary by as much as 8m for 2022. There you go we can save up to 50m if we wanted to. Just look at the Packers, still 40m over the cap and giving Rodgers 50m and Adams 20m franchise Tag, getting round the cap is easy, just push back contracts to further years, the cap figure is going to rise dramatically due to betting in the NFL. 

Thanks for the info.  That's amazing how much cap room they can create. This needs to happen.  Definitely agree we have to sign Terry this offseason and he is worthy of every penny.  If we get anywhere close to that 38-42 Million, now we got us a game.

Expand  

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

How come No One is mentioning the extra 25 million that each team is getting from the Increase in this years Cap??

9 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

How come No One is mentioning the extra 25 million that each team is getting from the Increase in this years Cap??

Its already factored in. It went up $25m from last years cap but was already included in most of the cap projection sites. I think when it became official it went up 2 from the expected unofficial number. Why we went from $31m to $33m last week 

• Like 2

Breece Hall is a RB I’d love to have with our 2nd round pick if depth at premium positions creates a run on other more valuable positions and the top RBs fall to the mid 2nd as has happened in the past. I’m usually against drafting a RB in the first two rounds but we need playmakers and Gibson will become exponentially more valuable when paired with a true bellcow that can do it all and do the dirty work. I would not be opposed to WR in the 1st (after a trade-down?) and RB in the 2nd. We spent on our QB and Rivera for the first time got to choose somebody with some talent to lead the offense…time to support him with weapons and see if he salvages his career.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2