Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Update EIGHT DAYS LATER: Yes it is an ACL tear) (Update next day, no ACL tear per Rivera) Per Schefter: Logan Thomas "likely" tore ACL and MCL

NewCliche21

6 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Dr. Fetus here. I saw it from a different angle then you all. I rewound it and viewed from the side of my tv and not straight on. What I saw and what they are reporting is lining up with my belief that he did not tear his ACL. in fact, it was a full on rip, no tear. 

unortunately, it will probably have to be amputated. This is my professional opinion from sitting on the couch and viewing my tv at different angles.

Thanks for listening. 

Or, in the worst case scenario, they might need to amputate at the neck, at which point, his season and probably his career would be over.

(that’s what I used to tell my kids sometimes when they got hurt:  “We’ll have to amputate at the neck!”)

• Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, SB17 said:

Or, in the worst case scenario, they might need to amputate at the neck, at which point, his season and probably his career would be over.

(that’s what I used to tell my kids sometimes when they got hurt:  “We’ll have to amputate at the neck!”)

Alex Smith's surgeon can have him  recovering from the neck amputation by the middle of next season.  He'll be100% by next years playoff push.😋

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Curious how this diagnosis was missed the first time.  It doesn't matter much in this case as he was already done for the year but it could be an issue for another player.

Because of swelling. They said they will know better after the swelling goes down. Now they know better. 

• Like 11

• NewCliche21 changed the title to (Update EIGHT DAYS LATER: Yes it is an ACL tear) (Update next day, no ACL tear per Rivera) Per Schefter: Logan Thomas "likely" tore ACL and MCL

With a full ACL and MCL tear, and it being such a mess in his knee that they couldn’t be sure until over a week later when the swelling finally went down enough—we can’t expect to ever get anything again from Thomas unfortunately, we need to proceed as if he’s not on the roster.

Players recover from ACL/MCL together, sure, but he’s already 30 and not exactly a polished technician—he relies on his athleticism to win and developed actual TE skills late. I think a hit to his physicality and athleticism is very bad for him, although if he recovers well there’s definitely a chance he can still operate as a redzone threat. 

But the important part is that we can’t just assume we’ll eventually get back the guy we lost. We need to replace that guy most likely, and then anything we get from him in the future is a bonus. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 5

Never forget it was a totally unnecessary cheap shot by the Raiders DE that did this.

14 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What exactly was Trent Williams right about? These aren’t the team doctors that were here when trent was. These are new guys completely. 

Best to let miserable people be miserable all by themselves.

Just now, London Kev said:

Dammit, that's sad news after the initial optimism. We've now had two, top quality TEs who just can't seem to stay healthy.

It’s one of the most-injured positions in a really injury-heavy sport, unfortunately. Made even worse when dirty hits happen, of course. But it’s hard to be a TE and not suffer some serious injuries during your career. Even the best guys are seen as pretty injury prone between stretches of elite production 

What is with the TE position curse and injuries to any TE we draft or sign that shows promise?  As far back as Cooley who had a huge dropoff and eventual retirement due to injuries, Fred Davis just deciding....he didn't like football anymore?  Jordan Reed getting concussed every other game among other injuries, we go out and sign Logan Thomas based on potential seen on film and as soon as he looks like he might break out for the last half of his career..........ugh.

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What exactly was Trent Williams right about? These aren’t the team doctors that were here when trent was. These are new guys completely. 

To get away from this team because of all their incompetence with every single thing. Injuries, draft history, Sean Taylor memorial, London’s name issue, leaking stadium water.

40 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

What is with the TE position curse and injuries to any TE we draft or sign that shows promise?  As far back as Cooley who had a huge dropoff and eventual retirement due to injuries, Fred Davis just deciding....he didn't like football anymore?  Jordan Reed getting concussed every other game among other injuries, we go out and sign Logan Thomas based on potential seen on film and as soon as he looks like he might break out for the last half of his career..........ugh.

I could write about 100 names off the top of my head that had the same issues. For every Kelce there’s a million OJ Howards and Jake Butts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

With a full ACL and MCL tear, and it being such a mess in his knee that they couldn’t be sure until over a week later when the swelling finally went down enough—we can’t expect to ever get anything again from Thomas unfortunately, we need to proceed as if he’s not on the roster.

Players recover from ACL/MCL together, sure, but he’s already 30 and not exactly a polished technician—he relies on his athleticism to win and developed actual TE skills late. I think a hit to his physicality and athleticism is very bad for him, although if he recovers well there’s definitely a chance he can still operate as a redzone threat. 

But the important part is that we can’t just assume we’ll eventually get back the guy we lost. We need to replace that guy most likely, and then anything we get from him in the future is a bonus. 

Yeah, I think I tone it down from your position slightly: there is definitely a chance he recovers and can be extremely productive.  But you can't count on it.  Bruce COUNTED on Reed and CT to stay healthy every year. And they didn't, and then he was surprised.  Then he did it again and again.  And it always seemed to surprise him.  

So we need to not do that.

That said, my guess is what they are going to do is not panic.  My bet is they continue to work with Reyes, bring back RSJ, and they have Bates, who has played well.  They'll probably bring in or draft a few other guys. 

But I wouldn't expect them to go out and sign a big-named TE.  

Reyes is the real wild-card.  I personally don't think he's going to amount to anything because learning football at the NFL level, you're just SO far behind everybody else, that's a tough, tough, tough ask.  I REALLY hope I'm wrong.  But, just with life in general, I put an extreme amount of emphasis on experience, and he literally has none.  

But IF Reyes develops into what they think he can, he's the clear answer.  

• Like 1