Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Update EIGHT DAYS LATER: Yes it is an ACL tear) (Update next day, no ACL tear per Rivera) Per Schefter: Logan Thomas "likely" tore ACL and MCL

NewCliche21

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I still don't understand why it was a penalty when Abram dove at Scherff's legs to try and make a play but not when Ngakoue dove at Logan's?  Why don't TEs get that kind of protection?

Raiders have been the only team this season I can remember that seem coached to dive at the legs of blockers when they are in the process of losing their fit.  **** them.

I may be wrong, but I think you are allowed to dive at the knees within the tackle box, the Scherff play was outside of the tackle box .

Edited by Indi1988

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

But if they even suspected it could possibly be an ACL, why not take precautions until it's confirmed?  

Not sure what you mean. He wasn't on the sideline running the 3-cone drill after his injury. He was just walking around.

At any rate, seems to be (so far) good news. A torn MCL is a much easier injury to rehab from than the ACL. He will still most likely be done for the season, but he'll heal up much quicker and be full go for OTA's.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

But if they even suspected it could possibly be an ACL, why not take precautions until it's confirmed?  

If I was paying dudes millions of dollars I would have in their contract that they have to leave the field on a cart after so much as a paper-cut. But that just me.

They didn't show it but the announcers said he was assisted off the field under his own power. Usually if they suspect major structural damage, they stabilize the injury right away.

5 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

At any rate, seems to be (so far) good news. A torn MCL is a much easier injury to rehab from than the ACL. He will still most likely be done for the season, but he'll heal up much quicker and be full go for OTA's.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

Regardless of the injury I believe Logan will be back into form next year. He may be older but he hasn’t played a lot in his career. He was never a speed guy so don’t the injury will affect that. Of course it would be nice if we had Logan down the stretch. 

Im excited to see Bates play more. If Reyes gets significant playing time, we get to see what he can finally do and whether we need to resign RSG or draft a TE. 

• Like 2

Having Logan on the team would be great, but IMO it would be best to probably shut him down for the year to protect him from further injury.  He's already been on IR once so they could be really risking it by putting him back out there.  

Edited by SAli457180

I am ok with the TE's behind him for the rest of 2021 if that is how it goes down.  Right now I want JDM back more than anything to keep the workload on Gibson manageable and not worn down and beat up considering how he's started embracing initiating contact so much more now. 

When I watched the hit to his knee, it looked like it was hit square and hyper-extended.  Normally with a hyper-extension like that your worst fear is an ACL tear.  Since they were looking that direction, it kind of confirms what I saw. The "other damage" you get with a hyper-extension is stabilizing structural damage and stretching of the ligaments. Ligaments aren't like rubber bands, but more like wet leather (if that makes sense). They give a little before they tear, but they're not really meant to, so you get a sprain.  It will be a few weeks before you can really get an idea of how bad that sort of injury is affecting the athlete. This week he's going to swell up and it will be all about minimizing the swelling and pain management. Second week, if the swelling goes down, then you can start rehab with ROM (range of motion). 3rd week, with no swelling, you can begin strengthening. Week 4, in some elite athletes, they could make an attempt to test it (like you see on the side practice field when guys come back), then if it doesn't swell up the next day they're on their way back. Best case scenario IMO is 4-6 weeks for a hyper-extension that didn't cause significant structural damage.  Might be able to rehab back enough to play sometime if the games as meaningful in the +5 week range.  Might need to get scoped in the off-season if he has scar tissue that causes chronic swelling or if there's some cartilage that requires a trim..they call this a clean out where you trim the cartilage and scar tissue releasing full ROM and allowing for the elimination of swelling (irritation).  Sounds like he got lucky!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 9

12 hours ago, zskins said:

Well that is good news. No tear. Hopefully back for the playoff game. :)

Oh, there’s a tear. Given that he’s expected to miss time, and the possibility for the rest of the season still remains.

It just hasn’t been revealed which tissue and the severity. They just ruled out a full ACL tear. 

It’s just nice to entertain the possibility of good news for a few days…. takes a bit of the sting off the inevitable 😂

• Like 1

Dr. Fetus here. I saw it from a different angle then you all. I rewound it and viewed from the side of my tv and not straight on. What I saw and what they are reporting is lining up with my belief that he did not tear his ACL. in fact, it was a full on rip, no tear. 

unortunately, it will probably have to be amputated. This is my professional opinion from sitting on the couch and viewing my tv at different angles.

Thanks for listening. 

• Haha 9

• NewCliche21 changed the title to (Update next day, no ACL tear per Rivera) Per Schefter: Logan Thomas "likely" tore ACL and MCL
3 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Dr. Fetus here. I saw it from a different angle then you all. I rewound it and viewed from the side of my tv and not straight on. What I saw and what they are reporting is lining up with my belief that he did not tear his ACL. in fact, it was a full on rip, no tear. 

unortunately, it will probably have to be amputated. This is my professional opinion from sitting on the couch and viewing my tv at different angles.

Thanks for listening. 

I don't have any need to offer my opinion. I can just keep my opinions to myself.

• Haha 2