Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Sam Huff

88Comrade2000

Damn. One of the all time greats. Thanks for the memories, Mr. Huff. And peace to his family.

One of my favorite Redskins stories (this after the NYG traded him to the Skins). He was pissed he was traded but never let it impact his play for the Skins. This game was his first season with the Skins:

In an interview with the New York Daily News in 2016, Huff recalled his participation in the victory over the Giants and Sherman:

In all phases, Washington walloped the Giants, then in the midst of the franchise’s worst season. The score was 69-41 in favor of Washington with seven seconds left when a timeout was called. On the sideline, Huff ordered kicker Charlie Gogolak on the field. A 29-yard kick was good. The final was 72-41; the 113 combined points ranked as the highest scoring game in NFL history. They still do.

“Hell yeah, I remember!” Huff says. “Hell, I scored those points! ‘Go-go-lak! Go-go-lak!’ I put it right in their gut.”

• Like 1

Sad to hear, but not unexpected. Heard he was in bad health for awhile now and dealt with dementia. Bet this hits Sonny hard. They called each other brothers. There was a great team documentary on their relationship a few years back. Somewhere, an angel is getting driven into the ground and then stomped on. “The Violent Heaven of Sam Huff.’

• Like 1

RIP. I got to listen to Sonny, Sam and Frank in their last really good years as a team in the early '90s. They were a highlight of being a Skins fan, and a LOT of people chose to listen to them rather than to the TV broadcast crew (unless it was Madden/Summerall, maybe).

Huff was hilarious, and you always felt like he was ready to strap on a helmet and get out there and hit someone at a moment's notice, especially when he got excited about what the defense was doing. My parents remembered his playing days, and my dad got a chuckle when he learned that Huff was a color commentator (we didn't live in DC).

• Like 1

Years ago in D.C. Channel 9 sponsored a 10K run so Sam and Sonny were there on Saturday at the finish line so runners could go up and talk to them.

At the point I went to see them there was no one around them.  Sam was not very talkative and seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else than at this event.

So I talked to Sonny for about 5 minutes while he smoked a cigar.  It was a big deal for me to see and talk to them up close.  I have great memories of their radio

game day broadcasts.

• Like 1