Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Well, AS USUAL, this team does nothing. Someone wake me when the team is sold and we have competent people in charge. Until then, I'm OUT! 30 years of this crap is enough!! 

Half the league (maybe more than half) did nothing....the team sucks, most of the players suck, what did you expect 😂

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'm concerned if we're not in on all of these situations.

But now both Tua and Trubisky are being claimed as false rumors. Why aren't we interested in these guys? Decent Plan B scenarios that upgrade our QB scenario and we continue to work towards a starter?

I don't get it.

I hear you.  I understand your point is to kick the tires.  But you need some intrigue to kick the tires.  I know some on this thread are intrigued by Trubisky, some aren't at all.  I am somewhat in the middle.  I wouldn't care if they did it, I wouldn't care if they didn't do it. If I had to pick a leaning, I'd lean negative but it would be a soft negative.   If they aren't intrigued, it doesn't strike me strange.  Mariota intrigues me more if I had to pick a reclamation project but his injury history worries me.  

As for Tua, i watched a lot of his pro games, he doesn't look like the same guy from college to me.  Between that and his injury history, I'd want my medical staff to do a best guess scenario about his career arc.  So I can understand hesitation about him.  

I'd add, with Tua it doesn't surprise me at all, I trust Keim and at one point I trusted Hoffman and both have said previously that they have good sources who told them that Kyle Smith's scouting staff weren't fans of Tua.  If so the mystery is does Hurney feel differently than the previous FO regume?  I don't know.  But there are a lot of scout hold overs from that regime.  

Based on rumors, Ron's own comments, Mike Silver (who supposedly is close with Ron), seems like they wanted Stafford and made a trade offer.  They supposedly liked Fields and some smoke that they liked Jones.  According to Keim, Hurney was a big Herbert guy before the draft but alas he wasn't here at the time.  I'll trust their instincts for now.  But when they make an off season move at QB and it backfires, I'll hammer him.   

But for now I'll ride the wave wherever it goes.  For me not chasing Tua or Trubisky i can shrug off because neither intrigue me so if they don't intrigue them, it doesn't faze me one whit.   If they did it, I'd prefer it now versus later because you can run the experiment without having to waste next season on it.   But clearly neither float their boat for the moment. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

24 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

Hey, you do you.....but the idea that NOT trading for Mitchell Trubisky being the final straw for a fan of this franchise is pretty funny.

It's not about Trubisky. It's the fact that they never do anything. It's about signing a 38 year old BUM of a guy at QB who has never done anything in his career and then trying to convince everyone that he's going to come in and be the savior of the team. It's about having an owner who is an absolute disgrace of a human being being involved in sex scandals, your athletic trainer is suspended and under investigation by the DEA, your coach just seems to be going through the motions every week and he brings a staff in with him when he was hired that was mostly with him at his last place of employment where they all got fired. Would you like me to go on because I certainly can. I can go on and on and on. I'm TIRED of the crap!!!  If you're not then why don't YOU do you??  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hear you.  I understand your point is to kick the tires.  But you need some intrigue to kick the tires.  I know some on this thread are intrigued by Trubisky, some aren't at all.  I am somewhat in the middle.  I wouldn't care if they did it, I wouldn't care if they didn't do it. If I had to pick a leaning, I'd lean negative but it would be a soft negative.   If they aren't intrigued, it doesn't strike me strange.  Mariota intrigues me more if I had to pick a reclamation project but his injury history worries me.  

As for Tua, i watched a lot of his pro games, he doesn't look like the same guy from college to me.  Between that and his injury history, I'd want my medical staff to do a best guess scenario about his career arc.  So I can understand hesitation about him.  

I'd add, with Tua it doesn't surprise me at all, I trust Keim and at one point I trusted Hoffman and both have said previously that they have good sources who told them that Kyle Smith's scouting staff weren't fans of Tua.  If so the mystery is does Hurney feel differently than the previous FO regume?  I don't know.  But there are a lot of scout hold overs from that regime.  

Based on rumors, Ron's own comments, Mike Silver (who supposedly is close with Ron), seems like they wanted Stafford and made a trade offer.  They supposedly liked Fields and some smoke that they liked Jones.  According to Keim, Hurney was a big Herbert guy before the draft but alas he wasn't here at the time.  I'll trust their instincts for now.  But when they make an off season move at QB and it backfires, I'll hammer him.   

But for now I'll ride the wave wherever it goes.  For me not chasing Tua or Trubisky i can shrug off because neither intrigue me so if they don't intrigue them, it doesn't faze me one whit.   If they did it, I'd prefer it now versus later because you can run the experiment without having to waste next season on it.   But clearly neither float their boat for the moment. 

Its not about those two. They should be interested in any potential upgrade who has shown the ability to play quarterback. Love them, like them, fence ride on them, or dislike them… those two have started in the NFL and have had at the very least moments. They have NFL arms. They are young. They are about as decent of a plan B you can get.

Let’s say they want Mariota as the plan B. Cool. I’m fine with that.

Let’s say Mariota doesn’t want them. Now what? We are too picky for a plan B tier QB and there’s a chance we wind up with nothing with the way this is going.

I’m not heartbroken we didn’t trade for them. Trading for a half season rental at QB (where you will never get the player up to speed) in a FA year is not a great plan (especially because we are who we are… guy gets a whiff of this culture and doesn’t come back anyways). But this “no interest” crap has me bewildered. 

Watch us wind up with Andy Dalton as our day one starter in 2022.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Its not about those two. They should be interested in any potential upgrade who has shown the ability to play quarterback. Love them, like them, fence ride on them, or dislike them… those two have started in the NFL and have had at the very least moments. They have NFL arms. They are young. They are about as decent of a plan B you can get.

We don't know though that they aren't.  As one reporter for example talked about on the air today he doubts Buffalo is eager to trade Trubisky right now in the middle of a SB run when a backup QB is insurance.  

If Keim is right and they didn't like Tua in college, I'd be stunned if their mind changed after his games in the pros.   And we don't even know if Miami is shopping him now?  I doubt they even are.  The premise of shopping Tua seemed to be predicated on them landing Watson coupled with the Texans apparently weren't intrigued by Tua so he wouldn't be part of that trade.  But that was all speculation. 

So i doubt there was a QB in play before the trading deadline.   Trades as we know are rare and not common in midseason.

I'll trust Keim until he fails me.  And he seems to believe that they will be aggressive this off season at that spot.  And he offered the idea of signing a veteran and drafting a player. 

So bringing this back to Trubisky as an example for all we know they like him but wanted him for free in FA versus giving up a pick for him now or for that matter maybe the Bills don't want to trade him now. 

• Like 1

The fact that we did nothing and indicated that we weren't interested in anything is horrifically disappointing.  We knew that we were in play for Stafford.  Got outbid, fair enough, but at least we DID SOMETHING.

Doing nothing indicates that the status quo is better than the exertion of effort to change it.

5 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

The fact that we did nothing and indicated that we weren't interested in anything is horrifically disappointing.  We knew that we were in play for Stafford.  Got outbid, fair enough, but at least we DID SOMETHING.

Doing nothing indicates that the status quo is better than the exertion of effort to change it.

Apparently the Trubisky trade did almost happen, so they DID at least try, earlier today. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We don't know though that they aren't.  As one reporter for example talked about on the air today he doubts Buffalo is eager to trade Trubisky right now in the middle of a SB run when a backup QB is insurance.  

If Keim is right and they didn't like Tua in college, I'd be stunned if their mind changed after his games in the pros.   And we don't even know if Miami is shopping him now?  I doubt they even are.  The premise of shopping Tua seemed to be predicated on them landing Watson coupled with the Texans apparently weren't intrigued by Tua so he wouldn't be part of that trade.  But that was all speculation. 

So i doubt there was a QB in play before the trading deadline.   Trades as we know are rare and not common in midseason.

I'll trust Keim until he fails me.  And he seems to believe that they be aggressive this off season at that spot.  And he offered the idea of signing a veteran and drafting a player. 

So bringing this back to Trubisky as an example for all we know they like him but wanted him for free in FA versus giving up a pick for him now or for that matter maybe thhe Bills don't want to trade him now. 

I’ve said basically every part of this in this thread. 

It’s the phrasing. “No interest”. I don’t trust any of these beat writers because I don’t think they know much. Keim is probably the only one even remotely connected enough to even have a clue. 

Here’s the issue with being aggressive in the offseason: it takes a player willing to come here and/or a team willing to do business.

A player coming here would have to be desperate. This franchise is a beacon of “avoid at all costs unless you have no other options”. And teams willing to do business would fleece the **** out of us. 

Also… not liking Tu’a for the #2 pick makes sense. But plain ol not liking Tu’a is asinine. IF the price is a 4, you wouldn’t have drafted that man in the 4th? Cmon. That’s negligence. Even if he sucks it’s a 4th. Same with a third. Hell, if Tu’a fell to the second last year almost everyone here would have been falling over themselves to draft the guy. 

But this team, apparently, believes it can be picky. This is how we wound up in this situation. We could have had Fields or Mac. 

They went after Stafford and thought they had a good offer. But does anyone believe Stafford wanted to come to DC?

It takes two to tango. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Would you have given up a 3rd for Trubisky because that's probably what it would have taken.

• Thumb down 2

20 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Or we are saving our ammo for someone that isn't a project.  We need an answer, not another question.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

You could almost take out of their doing nothing that they are content with losing and getting good draft position? As Charles Barkley says "if you're gonna suck it's better to really suck then be somewhere in the middle of the pack." 

Looks like we're content to really, really suck this year and get the highest draft pick we can get.  

Want some good news?????

We are 1-0 in the division so far!!!!

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It’s the phrasing. “No interest”. I don’t trust any of these beat writers because I don’t think they know much. Keim is probably the only one even remotely connected enough to even have a clue. 

Reporters got a tough job,I know because I am sometimes a source in my business and I can't always tell reporters everything, sometimes I have to be vague.  And sometimes things change.  What is true today might not be true tomorrow.  People can change their minds.  Schefter and Keim are so good at what they do in part because they talk to multiple people by habit to get a clearer picture.

As for Trubisky, I can't really discipher what their interest was or wasn't.  Finlay can ask people over there and at that point they might have already poked at the situation and discovered its a no go or maybe they were never interested all.  But it doesn't behoove the insiders at the FO to reveal the back and forth interest on a player for obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Also… not liking Tu’a for the #2 pick makes sense. But plain ol not liking Tu’a is asinine. IF the price is a 4, you wouldn’t have drafted that man in the 4th? Cmon. That’s negligence. Even if he sucks it’s a 4th. Same with a third. Hell, if Tu’a fell to the second last year almost everyone here would have been falling over themselves to draft the guy. 

Where is this whole thing about Tua for a 4th rounder coming from?   But agree if the Dolphins are shopping Tua for a 4th, I'd pull the trigger.  I am stunned though its in play let alone for a 4th.  Dolphins going much cheaper for Tua than other teams for Rosen and Darnold?  Also I thought Tua on the trading block was about them trading Watson -- not that they were shopping him just to shop him.  

Unless you are saying theoritically for a 4th?

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It takes two to tango. 

It does so tough for me to fault them for trades that don't happen.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reporters got a tough job,I know because I am sometimes a source in my business and I can't always tell reporters everything, sometimes I have to be vague.  And sometimes things change.  What is true today might not be true tomorrow.  People can change their minds.  Schefter and Keim are so good at what they do in part because they talk to multiple people by habit to get a clearer picture.

As for Trubisky, I can't really discipher what their interest was or wasn't.  Finlay can ask people over there and at that point they might have already poked at the situation and discovered its a no go or maybe they were never interested all.  But it doesn't behoove the insiders at the FO to reveal the back and forth interest on a player for obvious reasons.

Where is this whole thing about Tua for a 4th rounder coming from?   But agree if the Dolphins are shopping Tua for a 4th, I'd pull the trigger.  I am stunned though its in play let alone for a 4th.  Dolphins going much cheaper for Tua than other teams for Rosen and Darnold?  Also I thought Tua on the trading block was about them trading Watson -- not that they were shopping him just to shop him.  

Unless you are saying theortically for a 4th?

It does so tough for me to fault them for trades that don't happen.  

No one is faulting them for trades that didn’t happen. At least I’m not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

No one is faulting them for trades that didn’t happen. At least I’m not.

You know the process well enough.  But I see all the time from fans - Why didn’t they just trade him?  They could have easily gotten a “fill in ridiculous amount”.  Or “They could have easily gotten “fill in player that solves all issues” for “fill in fantasy trade”.  

You can’t just give whatever.  We tried that. Having said that they have backed themselves into a corner.  Add Danny boys drama and it will have to be a draft pick as none of the top FA QBs available next off season are not coming here.  

One thing is certain, they have to do something. Should be an entertaining off-season, especially since we are already talking about it 8 games in.  

Edited by goskins10

10 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

yiu know the process well enough.  But I see s as lol the time from fans - Why didn’t they just trade him?  They could have easily gotten a “fill in ridiculous amount”.  Or “They could have easily gotten “fill in player that solves all issues” for “fill in fantasy trade”.  

You can’t just give whatever.  We tried that. Having said that they have backed themselves into a corner.  Add Danny boys drama and it will have to be a draft pick as none of the top FA QBs available next off season are not coming here.  

One thing is certain, they have to do something. Should be an entertaining off-season, especially since we are already talking about it 8 games in.  

Agree. 

But for us to get a quality QB we will need to give “whatever”. Players won’t want to sign here. Teams know we’re desperate and will fleece us for all they can.

This franchise is in dire straights. True desperation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We’re gonna struggle for a QB in the offseason. I’m sure of that. We aren’t an appealing organisation and Rivera doesn’t have that pull alone. Hopefully I’m off base on that.

I agree and it looks like the QB's in next years draft are a weak bunch which will make it tough to stomach trading away draft assets to move up.

Our opportunity was the #2 pick we spent on Chase, its not easy landing the 1st or 2nd pick in a draft and we missed our chance, and now we're going to pay for it.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Agree. 

But for us to get a quality QB we will need to give “whatever”. Players won’t want to sign here. Teams know we’re desperate and will fleece us for all they can.

This franchise is in dire straights. True desperation. 

By far the worst destination in the NFL due to Snyder.

Trying to think of options if we don't draft a QB.  Are Sam Darnold and Jared Goff completely written off as busts yet?  Goff turned 27 two weeks ago and Darnold is 24.  I realize their bodies of work aren't exactly glimmering, but they have shown glimpses.  Goff led the Rams to the Super Bowl a couple of years ago.  I have watched Tua Tagovailoa play a couple of times and I wouldn't go anywhere near that guy, he sort of sucks.  I'd rather have Goff, Darnold, or even Trubisky over him.

It's sad, but the cupboard for good NFL quarterbacks is pretty bare.  The more I think about it the more I think drafting a QB is our only option. 

• Like 1

I'd gag if they chase Darnold but fortuntately I don't think they would.   Heinicke IMO > Darnold. 

Forgot what reporter said it but once said they'd put some thought into some of the trade bait QBs last year (I presume Darnold was one of them) but they had too many concerns.   I doubt Darnold's run in Carolina has allayed those concerns.

Eagles feasted off of both Darnold and Goff.  I am not a Goff guy either.  I'd hope their ambitions run mugh higher than both of those guys.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 7.10.39 AM.png

5 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Trying to think of options if we don't draft a QB.  Are Sam Darnold and Jared Goff completely written off as busts yet?  Goff turned 27 two weeks ago and Darnold is 24.  I realize their bodies of work aren't exactly glimmering, but they have shown glimpses.  Goff led the Rams to the Super Bowl a couple of years ago.  I have watched Tua Tagovailoa play a couple of times and I wouldn't go anywhere near that guy, he sort of sucks.  I'd rather have Goff, Darnold, or even Trubisky over him.

I am not a Tua guy as for what I've seen in the pros.  But I've watched a lot of his Alabama and Miami games.  And I forced myself this off season to do the same with Darnold.  To each their own, but I'd easily go Tua over Darnold.  Tua at least is on an upward trend as for his recent play.  Darnold the opposite.

The problem with Darnold IMO is his decision making both in college and in the pros stink.  People can blame that on the coaches but they aren't the ones making decisions for him on the fly.  Tua has limits IMO as for arm talent at the moment and maybe that will never change, I think its because of his hip surgery, but IMO he's not a bad decision maker.  I don't think bad decisions in the heat of the battle is easily fixed.  It's the same issue I had with Josh Rosen when I sat though and watched a bunch of his games.