Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Per Chris Trapasso of CBS Sports: The WFT and Buffalo Bills are working on a deal to send Mitchell Trubisky to Washington.

If this should happen you would think that Sean McDermott has endorsed Trubisky as having something to offer as a starting QB in the NFL. I can't see him selling out his mentor RR. 

I've been calling for this move so I'm intrigued if this report is true.

• Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

Depends what it's for. But I'm not against this. Have Plan B in building going into the offseason. It's smart as hell.

I also think Trubisky is better than many.

But here's my biggest issue: He's a free agent at the end of this season. Trading for him indicates that our brass doesn't think he'd sign here if we don't trade for him now.

What makes them think, then, he'd re-sign here and we're not just throwing draft capital out the window?

I like the player. I don't like the idea of a trade unless its for a 6 or 7 and even then I don't love it.

Nah, I think it's a chance to look at him, get to know him and make a home for him ahead of free agency. It's very smart. Give up a 6th or even Kyle Allen straight up and get it done. Hell, maybe TH is in the deal?

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Hold up....what?

Yeah, it's on the CBSSports website under NFL trade rumors

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Curious.... why do you think Lawrence has looked better than Fields?

Most of the rookie QBs are struggling to gain footing right now.

The only one who has been consistently good this season is Mac Jones.

But they are rookies. There is a patience curve.

Has he? I think he's been starting all year but without the pop we expected. I guess Lawrence has been more meh vs Fields being borderline bad but its like asking is it aqua or sky blue. Its still blue. 

The question is are the 2021 qbs bad or just slow. And will 2022 be bad as well? Drafting rookies is not an easy thing. 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Nah, I think it's a chance to look at him, get to know him and make a home for him ahead of free agency. It's very smart. Give up a 6th or even Kyle Allen straight up and get it done. Hell, maybe TH is in the deal?

Yeah, it's on the CBSSports website under NFL trade rumors

Yes, it could be solid to get him in house, as I stated in my reply.

But he's going to look into free agency regardless. And if he plays poorly this franchise tanks his value into the toilet.

For him this stinks. For us the player is better than what we have and in my opinion a touch underrated (though I don't think he's a long term guy at this point but a good plan B). A loss of draft capital is questionable IF this becomes a rental. Trading Kyle Allen or Heinicke and a low rounder is... not awful.

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Per Chris Trapasso of CBS Sports: The WFT and Buffalo Bills are working on a deal to send Mitchell Trubisky to Washington.

Depending on the price, I'm kinda warming to this idea.  While I dont think he'd be "the answer" or should preclude drafting somebody, I do think Trubisky's level of suckitude has been overrated.  Especially given the Matt Nagy factor.

Otherwise, I just dont see where they go at QB next year that's better.

Edited by justice98

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Has he? I think he's been starting all year but without the pop we expected. I guess Lawrence has been more meh vs Fields being borderline bad but its like asking is it aqua or sky blue. Its still blue. 

The question is are the 2021 qbs bad or just slow. And will 2022 be bad as well? Drafting rookies is not an easy thing. 

Slow? They're rookies. This impatience is killer. 

image.png.c1e56557af3d32cdc5fa98e53157654e.png

Lots of struggles for these guys. But they are rookies. Most of which on bad teams. The are building blocks. They have to be treated as such. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Yes, it could be solid to get him in house, as I stated in my reply.

But he's going to look into free agency regardless. And if he plays poorly this franchise tanks his value into the toilet.

For him this stinks. For us the player is better than what we have and in my opinion a touch underrated (though I don't think he's a long term guy at this point but a good plan B). A loss of draft capital is questionable IF this becomes a rental. Trading Kyle Allen or Heinicke and a low rounder is... not awful.

With every deal there's risk as you know. I disagree that this stinks for him, I think he gets a new shot at being a starting QB and if he plays well he opens doors to other possible suitors. Or, he grasps what's in front of him here and signs a long term deal to compete to be the starter. I love this move if we can get it done. I would bet Allen would have to be in the deal so Buffalo has a capable backup to replace Mitch.

Slow? They're rookies. This impatience is killer. 

image.png.c1e56557af3d32cdc5fa98e53157654e.png

Lots of struggles for these guys. But they are rookies. Most of which on bad teams. The are building blocks. They have to be treated as such. 

Doesn't change the fact that Jones is looking as good as he is. Or that Hubert did. I'm not calling them busts, but I do think its OK to question if the teams that started them from the go were right in doing so. Should the ones who are starting be on the bench learning?

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Depending on the price, I'm kinda warming to this idea.  While I dont think he'd be "the answer" or should preclude drafting somebody, I do think Trubisky's level of suckitude has been overrated.  Especially given the Matt Nagy factor.

Otherwise, I just dont see where they go at QB next year that's better.

Trubisky, physically, is Josh Allen minus the head and accuracy. Allen was very raw when he started out too but Trubisky is big, can run, has a huge arm and is a competitor. He needs to buy into coaching and get fundamentally better....maybe Buffalo has taught him that? I think Buffalo has done a great job of building an offense around Allen after his rough start. Can that be done with Trubisky here? He sort of fits the Cam Newton profile in a lot of ways....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

Doesn't change the fact that Jones is looking as good as he is. Or that Hubert did. I'm not calling them busts, but I do think its OK to question if the teams that started them from the go were right in doing so. Should the ones who are starting be on the bench learning?

The last part I agree with. But they played them because they are their best options or injuries made them their best options. 

Jones was always the most pro ready. And Herbert was pretty pro ready. The question was Herbert was his ceiling. Which almost everyone missed on.

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If we do trade for Mitch, who starts against tampa? 

Heinicke if he's not in the deal. Mitch won't have enough time to really get any basic knowledge.

Mitch the final 7 with easing him in. Heinicke the next 2.

The last part I agree with. But they played them because they are their best options or injuries made them their best options. 

Jones was always the most pro ready. And Herbert was pretty pro ready. The question was Herbert was his ceiling. Which almost everyone missed on.

Heinicke if he's not in the deal. Mitch won't have enough time to really get any basic knowledge.

Mitch the final 7 with easing him in. Heinicke the next 2.

Ok, so we're in agreement. 

I've voiced my opinion on Mitch and I think I like him the most of the guys we could get next year. I think he still has a high ceiling but is probably a QBR 50 type QB. The question I have is how lenient will fans be when his screens go high

17 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

This would be bad news. Nobody with SB aspirations wants to trade their backup QB if they actually look great in practice—a solid backup is the best asset a team like that can have if their starter goes down for a couple weeks. If they’re willing to deal Trubisky for what I assume is a late round pick, it means he hasn’t grown for them. Hate it. 

• Like 1

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

This would be bad news. Nobody with SB aspirations wants to trade their backup QB if they actually look great in practice—a solid backup is the best asset a team like that can have if their starter goes down for a couple weeks. If they’re willing to deal Trubisky for what I assume is a late round pick, it means he hasn’t grown for them. Hate it. 

But you'd have to think that Sean McDermott would be a straight shooter with Rivera. That's the one big caveat I'd use against your point. 

RR: "Hey Sean, does Trubisky have anything that could make him a solid starting QB for us or in the NFL?"

McDermott: "Honestly, no, he's trash and we won't be resigning him after this year." 

OR

McDermott: "Yes, I love the kid but he'll never play here behind Allen. He'd be good for you guys Ron. Give us Kyle Allen and a 7th and he's yours. He really wants to play."

• Like 2

Fitzpatrick talked about how the terminology of Turners offense is different and kind of tough to learn, so not sure I'm into a mid-season trade for Mitch, but he's my 1A FA option going forward, so getting him in the building would be great.

Also, defense is playing well. Should have several offensive starters back in a couple weeks and were at the tail end of our brutal middle of the schedule. 

Mitch coming in and rattling off 4 or 5 wins in the last 7 games would really help the fanbase and keep Dan at bay.

Also hurts our draft position, but thats more of a silver lining in a dark cloud. I'd rather a partly sunny sky.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think people are blaming him for the season.  He's doing the best he can.  He's not a franchise QB and the lack of one is the main reason wht this team hasn't won for years.  That's not on his shoulders.  I think he's a decent backup.  But they got to find that guy. 

He's one step removed from being recruited out of the stands during the pregame warmups to come in and play quarterback.  People are treating him like he's Jared Goff.  He's only playing because people in control haven't been able to find someone better.  And the offense in not one player away from being good, or even average.

2 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

He's one step removed from being recruited out of the stands during the pregame warmups to come in and play quarterback.  People are treating him like he's Jared Goff.  He's only playing because people in control haven't been able to find someone better.  And the offense in not one player away from being good, or even average.

I think the coaches may have thought he could be good enough to win here with a good defense and having weapons around him. He really hasn't had either of these things. TH wet all of our whistles with his game against Tampa and now we know that he's not starting QB material...it's a shame he didn't have everything at his disposal the way we all thought it would be. But I agree with you, he is what he is, a capable backup, not a franchise level starting QB.

11 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The thing about Tribusky is similar to Heinicke. Sure he has a better arm but he is at his most effective when he is a threat to run. Since 2018 he has been reluctant and that has limited him as a QB. 

The arm is why Heinicke isn't a long term solution

18 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

He's one step removed from being recruited out of the stands during the pregame warmups to come in and play quarterback.  People are treating him like he's Jared Goff.  

Agree with this part.  I got not a single ounce of animosity against Taylor.  He's doing the best he can.  He's not the answer but that's not his fault.

18 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

And the offense in not one player away from being good, or even average.

Disagree with this part.  Just about every offense looks night and day different with a franchise QB.    Heck the Packers beat the undefeated Cards on the road with many of their best players out.   A really good QB overcomes a lot.  

I agree with your point though if we just find a decent QB, not one that is great but just decent.  If that happened, I think they need a healthy roster.  The offense without Curtis Samuel and Logan Thomas is lacking.  the O line IMO is good.  But they aren't deep enough to lose weapons on offense.

On another note, I am agnostic about Trubisky.  i am not jazzed about him, don't hate it.  But I would love it if they did it now.  that would be brilliant IMO.  To me Trubisky is a flier.  I've seen enough to know in my mind that Heinicke isn't the guy.  So him as a flier that's run its course for me.  So you got nothing to lose to have any flier right now.  It would save some time to do it now, see how it goes. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise