Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think the reason he keeps coming up is he plays at the level we need to have a successful football on a constant basis. Not really anyone first choice but the belief is he can get it done. 

He can "get it done" if he doesn't have to do much of it himself. If he's surrounded by a great cast and with the support of a top defense, then he's good. He can make some plays when needed and won't make too many costly mistakes. But he's not a true franchise QB.

I only see him as a very modest upgrade to Heinicke, mostly because he has an NFL arm. But that's about it. 

Just now, mistertim said:

He can "get it done" if he doesn't have to do much of it himself. If he's surrounded by a great cast and with the support of a top defense, then he's good. He can make some plays when needed and won't make too many costly mistakes. But he's not a true franchise QB.

I only see him as a very modest upgrade to Heinicke, mostly because he has an NFL arm. But that's about it. 

He is the level of QB we can probably get rite now. 

12 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

He is the level of QB we can probably get rite now. 

If that's the case then we're pretty screwed.

I have to assume the plan is to draft a QB (outside of being able to trade for Wilson), and if so I'd much rather us bring in a FA like Mariota or Trubisky. Neither are very good but they're mediocre, don't cost draft picks, and could hold the fort down for a season if need be while the rookie learns. Jimmy G might be a little better than them but IMO only very slightly and not worth the draft capital vs just a middle tier contract.

• Like 2

I brought up Jameis earlier. If he comes back healthy from his ACL injury, signing him would be the best option if we can’t land Watson or Carr IMO. He’d be relatively cheap and we wouldn’t have to give up anything to get him. Plus, we could still draft our franchise QB at 11. Let him sit for a year OR two behind Jameis and he’d be ready to go when it’s his turn. 

NO would probably want to keep him, but they’re actually over the cap right now while Washington is sitting pretty. 

• Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If that's the case then we're pretty screwed.

I have to assume the plan is to draft a QB (outside of being able to trade for Wilson), and if so I'd much rather us bring in a FA like Mariota or Trubisky. Neither are very good but they're mediocre, don't cost draft picks, and could hold the fort down for a season if need be while the rookie learns. Jimmy G might be a little better than them but IMO only very slightly and not worth the draft capital vs just a middle tier contract.

Your plan is most likely the move. But you never know I think Rodgers and Wilson are probably out. I think we have a shot at watson after what happened in miami but you never know.

35 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I brought up Jameis earlier. If he comes back healthy from his ACL injury, signing him would be the best option if we can’t land Watson or Carr IMO. He’d be relatively cheap and we wouldn’t have to give up anything to get him. Plus, we could still draft our franchise QB at 11. Let him sit for a year OR two behind Jameis and he’d be ready to go when it’s his turn. 

NO would probably want to keep him, but they’re actually over the cap right now while Washington is sitting pretty. 

I bet NO keeps him. They really fall apart after his injury. I think we have one of the better trade packages compared to other teams just have to convince someone to come here. This will not be easy.

Other then Denver and Miami we can offer as good or better packages to any of these teams. New York and phildelphia don't look like they are looking for qb this year.

Edited by Redskins 2021

12 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

Listened to two of the NO beat guys before we played them on our local radio both suggested they heard S. Payton wasn't impressed with what he's seen from Winston this season and expected they'd let him go this off season.  They said they were using Winston more as a game manager type, they ran like crazy because they didn't trust him to fling the ball around.

Granted he's better than Taysom Hill or Simian, although who isn't?  But I got the impression listenig to those guys they expect the Saints to be aggressive in the QB market.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

12 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

As a flier, I wouldn't hate it.  To me he's "meh" at best.  But I think you can get him for a bag of peanuts.  And like Trubisky I think you can get him without any fight from another team including Nola.    I'd take Mariota over Trubisky or Winston.   But Trubisky and Winston to me would be a toss up. 

Maybe the NO beat guys who talked about Winston before we played them end up wrong but if they are right, Sean Payton won't chase down Winston in the off season.  Granted that was eons ago, early in the season.  I commeted on it at the time I heard it.   I guess we will find out soon if they were right or perhaps Payton changed his mind.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Listening to The Junkies and they're pressing Ron Rivera on QB's.  He did mention if you like a guy and need to move up in the draft, you weigh what it will take picks and a core player.  Drafting a guy doesn't mean you're gonna lose games.

He also said why wouldn't one of the vets come here?  He feels they have enough pieces in place to be attractive and win games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Listening to The Junkies and they're pressing Ron Rivera on QB's.  He did mention if you like a guy and need to move up in the draft, you weigh what it will take picks and a core player.  Drafting a guy doesn't mean you're gonna lose games.

He also said why wouldn't one of the vets come here?  He feels they have enough pieces in place to be attractive and win games.

From an outside perspective, pretty easy to like a lot about the team - a very good receiver, oline, back and defense.  TE too, though with Thomas newly productive and out much of this year, he might be under the radar?  Respected head coach and defensive coordinator (both with super bowl experience) and an OC with pedigree that helped a mishmash of qbs get to 7 wins back to back.

Lot of baggage with the franchise though - history (under Snyder), owner, facilities, etc. 

Of the big names though, I think Ryan is the most likely (no thanks).  I think it’s more likely we draft a guy (maybe sign a FA vet as well), which is my preferred course of action.  I’d be ok with trying to accrue 2023 picks as well (and drafting our qb then), but that comes with risks.

I think the biggest thing Ron said was in regards to the fans coming back and attracting big talent. “I’m trying to build something here but I need you guys to sell it!” 

Makes me feel like 

1) Players want the fans back 

2) Not having fans makes the team less attractive to FAs 

I’m assuming a lot, obviously. Just was interesting to hear him say it when he did in the conversation. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I think the biggest thing Ron said was in regards to the fans coming back and attracting big talent. “I’m trying to build something here but I need you guys to sell it!” 

Makes me feel like 

I’m assuming a lot, obviously. Just was interesting to hear him say it when he did in the conversation. 

60u5ly.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

From an outside perspective, pretty easy to like a lot about the team - a very good receiver, oline, back and defense.  TE too, though with Thomas newly productive and out much of this year, he might be under the radar?  Respected head coach and defensive coordinator (both with super bowl experience) and an OC with pedigree that helped a mishmash of qbs get to 7 wins back to back.

Lot of baggage with the franchise though - history (under Snyder), owner, facilities, etc. 

Of the big names though, I think Ryan is the most likely (no thanks).  I think it’s more likely we draft a guy (maybe sign a FA vet as well), which is my preferred course of action.  I’d be ok with trying to accrue 2023 picks as well (and drafting our qb then), but that comes with risks.

1 WR. The Oline yes. The defense is closer to what we saw this year vs last. I have major doubts about Thomas being good again at his age with the injury. He likely wont be back until mid to late september at the earliest. 

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

He preaches building the team last year for not wanting to give up picks but now is open to trading up for significantly worse QB options. Awesome

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

He preaches building the team last year for not wanting to give up picks but now is open to trading up for significantly worse QB options. Awesome

Did Ron actually say anything about trades in the interview or was he just talking in general? Maybe he was talking about FAs.

I think people are too down on this upcoming QB draft class and I'm especially fond of Matt Corral. His footwork is excellent, he makes great decisions and can help make our running game better with his command of the RPO. 

Look at this throw into a bucket at 1:25:

With the kind of offense we run, there is real potential for him and he probably can be had without moving up too much. Maybe he's even available at 11 depending on his draft stock at the time and what happens with Pickett. 

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

As it comes to vets:

We  have only one WR. Th rest of the players aren’t that great or haven’t shown they can be healthy. Your offense is one of the duller ones in the league. Your defense takes a half season before they play at least decent.  You have some of the worst facilities in the league.

As to drafting a qb:

Where was this attitude last year; in a qb heavy draft? 

45 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Makes me feel like 

Uh; that isn’t happening. Dan is going to lose even more fans after the new name goes into effect.  Also, after another losing season ; more fans will drop the team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I think people are too down on this upcoming QB draft class and I'm especially fond of Matt Corral. His footwork is excellent, he makes great decisions and can help make our running game better with his command of the RPO. 

With the kind of offense we run, there is real potential for him and he probably can be had without moving up too much. Maybe he's even available at 11 depending on his draft stock at the time and what happens with Pickett. 

I agree. The more I study this class the more I like it. My number 1 is Corral and number 2 is Howell. Guys like Pickett and Willis are gambles to me - Pickett because of his hand size Willis because of Liberty, his experience, and his accuracy. That said I think I'd want Corral, Howell, Willis in that order and after that probably take Pickett or trade down for Ridder. 

I think all of them could become good starters with the top two having the potential to be top of the class and ROY threats. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean Jimmy G is a good QB, he's just injury prone.

Darnold stinks. I can't believe people actually wanted him last year. I straight up even said he's Dewey Haskins without the attitude issues.

Sheehan was breaking his arm patting himself on the back about Darnold the first few weeks of the season

Listened to the Ron interview in the car and if I had to guess, my guess is we are going after Watson. Rivera also alluded to trading picks and a premier player to move up for a rookie QB and whether or not that would make sense. Also didn't shy away from the idea of drafting a rookie if the pieces are in place around them, but his comments about drafting a QB and being in a position to lose the opportunity to groom them after 1 year (Chargers cited by him) ... makes it less appealing.

Sort of supports my Huntley + comments from yesterday. Go after a guy you think can take the current team to the playoffs while getting a future QB to groom. Might be tough to do in this draft, but trading a 4th rounder to the Ravens for Huntley and drafting a QB at #11 if there's a guy there they like accomplishes this.

This FO went hard for Stafford last year so my gut is that they're going to go hard for Watson or Wilson. My hope is it's Watson. Franchise defining QB ... would cost a lot of picks and cap space, but the QB situation would be settled.

• Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I agree. The more I study this class the more I like it. My number 1 is Corral and number 2 is Howell. Guys like Pickett and Willis are gambles to me - Pickett because of his hand size Willis because of Liberty, his experience, and his accuracy. That said I think I'd want Corral, Howell, Willis in that order and after that probably take Pickett or trade down for Ridder. 

I think all of them could become good starters with the top two having the potential to be top of the class and ROY threats. 

IMO if you were to compare the QB options from 2020 21 22 23 I wouldnt have anyone of the QBs in this class in the top 10

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Listened to the Ron interview in the car and if I had to guess, my guess is we are going after Watson. Rivera also alluded to trading picks and a premier player to move up for a rookie QB and whether or not that would make sense. Also didn't shy away from the idea of drafting a rookie if the pieces are in place around them, but his comments about drafting a QB and being in a position to lose the opportunity to groom them after 1 year (Chargers cited by him) ... makes it less appealing.

Sort of supports my Huntley + comments from yesterday. Go after a guy you think can take the current team to the playoffs while getting a future QB to groom. Might be tough to do in this draft, but trading a 4th rounder to the Ravens for Huntley and drafting a QB at #11 if there's a guy there they like accomplishes this.

This FO went hard for Stafford last year so my gut is that they're going to go hard for Watson or Wilson. My hope is it's Watson. Franchise defining QB ... would cost a lot of picks and cap space, but the QB situation would be settled.

Wait, he said what?

They don't want to draft a guy because they may lose the opportunity to draft them after 1 year?

Is that essentially saying he's a lame duck HC at this point? I don't get it.

I don't want Watson. At some point character matters. If he's cleared of all charges, fine. If it's settled or its still in litigation? I want NOTHING to do with him. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

My main legit concern about Corral (aside from him running the scheme he does) is his weight.  The dude is 190 pounds.  There is no way anyone can convince me that a QB playing at that weight with Corral's build can last.  NFL LBs and DEs are bigger, stronger and faster than they have ever been.  Heck, WRs who are 190 or less are considered a legit risk...and they aren't getting pounded every other play.  Imagine a QB like Corral dropping back and getting popped over and over again like every QB does.  I just cannot see any way they guy can survive.  And again, his frame isn't going to support that much more muscle.  He's scrawnier than RGIII was.  

Edited by Redwards