Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, rumplestilskin said:

I think Tua would be another three to five wasted years. I could be wrong. I want to like Tua because he was magic in college but when I watch him in the pro's I see some confusion in his mental processes combined with a slow release.

They give him the year that it. Next year draft class has very good potential. If he can't do it they would move on.

• Like 2

I've watched my share of Tua and seen him play live multiple times in college.  He doesn't seem to be the same guy from college.

He's OK.  To me he's played conservatively.  He has one of the lowest YPA in the league and it looks that way when you watch him.

I don't know if its his hip but he oddly ranges from looking fine arm strength wise to not sometimes from play to play.  Sometimes it looks like he really labors to throw and at other times it looks like he can hit lets say an intermediate out route for example with little effort.  To use a car analogy, it comes off like his hip or something about how he torques his body in order to drive the ball needs WD-40.

Don't love Tua, don't hate him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

They give him the year that it. Next year draft class has very good potential. If he can't do it they would move on.

I would be OK with that if other FA options dont pan out. Would definitely be the bargain option as far as what we would have to give up. That being said there is a reason he would be a bargain.

16 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The tricky part about a draft class like next years is we feel pretty confident Byrce Young and CJ Stroud are top 5 picks.  But beyond that, who knows.  The thing is there will be a lot 5-12 and 6-11 teams next year not in a position to get either.

22 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

I think Tua would be another three to five wasted years. I could be wrong. I want to like Tua because he was magic in college but when I watch him in the pro's I see some confusion in his mental processes combined with a slow release.

With Tua you get a better fit in the Ron timeline. It would be a 1-2 year tryout for Ron. Ron fired before the 2024 season and the New HC gets to clean house and work on a new QB. 

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ron is not getting fired either. Not next year or the year after.

hes not going into year 5 of 5 as a lame duck. Hes either getting fired after year 4 or getting an extension. If the QB doesnt work out in the next year or two than ron will have failed and its time to move on. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Ron is not getting fired either. Not next year or the year after.

We don't know that.  He has to assume that he is in danger of being fired, if we don't do something significant in the offseason.  We screwed the pooch this past offseason with FA and the Draft.  We need to make major moves this offseason to put the team in the best possible position to compete for the playoffs next year and moving forward.  We can't have another offseason like the last one, where you don't decide to draft a QB in a QB rich draft, and end up signing a 38 Year Old Fitzpatrick.  No more treadmills at QB.  We need to go all out in trying to trade for a marquee QB like Wilson Watson or Carr, or we need to get a QB in Round 1.  If Ron fails to do either, and signs some mediocre scrub like Trubisky or Mariotta while failing to draft a QB in R1 again, then he is in big trouble, and he shouldn't see year 4.

This is an important, pivotal offseason in more ways than one.  The team has to hit it out of the park with the name announcement, sign names in FA that will improve the team and get their franchise QB.  This might be the most important offseason for this team in several years.  We have to act like we're not going to go staus quo, or we risk falling further behind the Cowboys, Eagles and all the other playoff teams in the NFC.

• Like 2

I dont think people understand the timing of the Ron contract here saying he wont be fired. Coaches don't coach lame duck contract years. So either Ron shows major steps this offseason and next 2 years or hes out. Unless Dan is contempt with more empty stadiums because if he has more middling 7-9 win seasons no one is showing up for more mediocrity to sign the losing record HC to an extension. 

Ron aint going anywhere, thats crazy talk. He's literally the only positive we have, the NFL looks at us like a laughing stock except for him. 

I want Corral, trade up to 4 and make sure you don't miss. 2 1s and next year's 2, hopefully that gets us from 11 to 4? Tough son of gun, dual threat, played against the best competition in the NCAA and I love that he decided to play in that bowl game... teammates love the guy, sounds like a more talented version of what we have here. I think you keep TH and Allen

• Like 3

Its not just receivers. Even guys on D want to play on a team with a good QB. Look at Trey Hendrickson and Mike Hilton signing with the Bengals. They straight up said they went there because they have Burrow which means they're gonna be contending for the next 5+ years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

How many more year will Ryan last.

Beats me.  If I had to guess, he can maybe be productive a couple more years?  🤷‍♂️

I’d be against going after Ryan - I’d much rather take the patient route and roll the dice on a rookie, but I could see Ryan fitting what Rivera wants - a good vet that can give us that big step forward (even if it’s just for a couple years or whatever).  I don’t know if it’s doable for Atlanta in terms of excelerating his bonus payouts, but if they can manage it, they’ll have ammo to move up for a rookie and Ryan would be off the books for the future.  And if Atlanta can afford to make that move, it’s probably more realistic for the Washington FO than Carr/Wilson/Rodgers/Watson.

Washington gets their qb (albeit short term), and theoretically only has to pay him his base salary of around 16mil, allowing them to still make moves (or maybe just extend/re-sign our own).  They can also include a conditional pick as part of the compensation for insurance purposes (in case Ryan’s play falls off or he gets injured).  Maybe they retain their 1st next year to try to draft a rookie.

Edited by skinny21

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This would be a win win, including from what I've read about Judge buying into Daniel Jones

They can't afford to not lose Jones.  They didn't even field a 53 for yesterday's game because they are the tight against the cap.  Jones is Tom Brady compared to Glennon & Fromm.  They have no space to find any improvements sans the draft.  

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This would be a win win, including from what I've read about Judge buying into Daniel Jones

There was some stuff on Twitter today about part of what Judge was trying to sell ownership to keep him was moving on from Jones at QB - they have two top 10 picks so have the ammunition. But if they retain Judge and he's calling the shots on vital roster decisions what half way decent GM is going to want to take that gig? 

I hope they keep Judge. He's as far out of his depth as an NFL HC as Jin Zorn was here.

And we can forget talk of Tua being traded now. Flores getting fired was the owner there picking the GM and Tua as the QB over Flores who wanted to move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

They can't afford to not lose Jones.  They didn't even field a 53 for yesterday's game because they are the tight against the cap.  Jones is Tom Brady compared to Glennon & Fromm.  They have no space to find any improvements sans the draft.  

Since they have 2 high draft picks, I’d draft a qb if I were them - let him duke it out with Jones and have him developing/waiting in the wings for 2023 (possible you can trade Jones at that point?).  Maybe use the other pick on a lineman.

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

There was some stuff on Twitter today about part of what Judge was trying to sell ownership to keep him was moving on from Jones at QB - they have two top 10 picks so have the ammunition. But if they retain Judge and he's calling the shots on vital roster decisions what half way decent GM is going to want to take that gig? 

I hope they keep Judge. He's as far out of his depth as an NFL HC as Jin Zorn was here.

And we can forget talk of Tua being traded now. Flores getting fired was the owner there picking the GM and Tua as the QB over Flores who wanted to move on.

OK if so for me.  i don't care if we get Tua, he doesn't move the needle with me.  I follow the Dolphins some being in Florida, their owner, Ross, seems obsessed with finding that guy at QB.  As for them believing Tua is that guy, don't know.  But Tua hasn't done anything IMO to justify bailing on him at this point. 

As for Judge willing to move on from Jones.  I follow the Giants media quite a bit, they seem to believe Jones has fans among coaches and FO people in that building.  But if there is a shakeup that could change.  Also one reporter thought they'd chase Russell Wilson hard if he was put on the trade market.

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 12.13.59 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I'm pretty "meh" on Tua. I enjoyed watching him in college but his injury history scared the hell out of me. Like @Skinsinparadisenoted, he looks much different now than he did in college. He doesn't seem to have the same arm or playing style. Part of that could just be the offense or something, but I have to think there's also a decent possibility that it's because he's never been the same since his hip injury. That's a pretty huge one when it comes to generating torque for throwing.

Also, IIRC hasn't Rivera said specifically that it was Tua's injury history that made them the wary of him in the 2020 draft? If their big concern with him before the draft was his injury history, why would that suddenly change now? Especially considering that he's also already been injured in the NFL as well.

Maybe they would be ok taking a guy with an injury history if it was a lower pick? A 2nd still sounds too rich for me when it comes to Tua. I'd do it for a 3rd.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2