Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Did I say he was the guy?

However we define “the guy”, I wasn’t implying you were saying he’s the future. He hasn’t shown much in terms of challenging defenses down the field or throwing in tight windows. All elements Washington lacked this season

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Tua has been rated as one of the best deep throw passers all season. It’s just that his Oline is the worst in the league. When he’s had time he’s delivered 

Give him a watch (if you haven’t), then tell me if he’s one of the best deep throw passers all season. Many cases guys who take few risks down the field and in many cases when it’s schemed perfectly have better statistics in some forms. Not sure if this is actually the case, but highly likely from my time watching him. 

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I could see Trubisky jumping at the chance to come to DC and play for RR. I could also see some comparisons between Trubisky and Cam Newton given their size, arm strength, mobiiity, physicality and inaccuracy. I like the match and was calling for us to trade for Mitch at the deadline but apparently he got COVID and the deal fell through?

l am starting to digest Trubisky.  I haven't liked what I've seen so far or read about him.   Hated Trubisky admitting that he has struggled to read defenses. I think you keep that stuff to yourself.

But I'll try to keep an open mind and find time to watch 5 of his games soon after doing that I'll land on a hard take on him.    I don't mind Trubisky as a flier to battle name that rookie QB.  From what I've watched so far I definetly prefer Mariotta but maybe I'll change my mind when I watch more closely.  And yeah I did watch Trubisky's ballyhooed preseason game this summer.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/21/espn-says-second-read-throws-are-mitch-trubiskys-biggest-weakness/

To be clear, Trubisky has struggled all over the PFF spectrum. But what really sticks out is his play while reading through his progressions. His 29.9 passing grade on second-read throws — throws made after the QB has clearly moved his eyes to his next receiver — is dead last in the NFL, and he has completed fewer than 50% of his attempts in those situations. His four turnover-worthy passes rank second most since the start of 2018, and he owns the NFL’s fourth-lowest adjusted completion percentage on his second reads.

It’s not a surprise, given that one of the knocks on Trubisky has been that he often stares down his receivers and struggles to make it past his first read.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 6.07.17 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I could see Trubisky jumping at the chance to come to DC and play for RR. I could also see some comparisons between Trubisky and Cam Newton given their size, arm strength, mobiiity, physicality and inaccuracy. I like the match and was calling for us to trade for Mitch at the deadline but apparently he got COVID and the deal fell through?

Are you mistaking Trubisky for another QB? He's 6'2 220. A somewhat shorter than average but moderately sized QB. Cam is 6'5 250. There's no comparison between them.

I really don't get the Trubisky fascination. He's a mediocre QB with a decent arm, decent mobility but who struggles mightily with deep ball accuracy and who has admitted that he has issues reading defenses. Why is this attractive to some? What exactly makes some believe that all Trubisky, who's a 5 year NFL vet, needs is some good "coaching up"? Can we please stop with this crappy QB reclaimation stuff?

I'd be ok with Trubisky as a brief bridge as long as we draft a 1st round rookie this year, but that's all. Nothing more.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

l am starting to digest Trubisky.  I haven't liked what I've seen so far or read about him.   Hated Trubisky admitting that he has struggled to read defenses. I think you keep that stuff to yourself.

But I'll try to keep an open mind and find time to watch 5 of his games soon after doing that I'll land on a hard take on him.    I don't mind Trubisky as a flier to battle name that rookie QB.  Fron what I'[ve watched so far I definetly prefer Mariotta but maybe I'll change my mind when I watch more closely.  And yeah I did watch Trubisky's ballyhooed preseason game this summer.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/21/espn-says-second-read-throws-are-mitch-trubiskys-biggest-weakness/

To be clear, Trubisky has struggled all over the PFF spectrum. But what really sticks out is his play while reading through his progressions. His 29.9 passing grade on second-read throws — throws made after the QB has clearly moved his eyes to his next receiver — is dead last in the NFL, and he has completed fewer than 50% of his attempts in those situations. His four turnover-worthy passes rank second most since the start of 2018, and he owns the NFL’s fourth-lowest adjusted completion percentage on his second reads.

It’s not a surprise, given that one of the knocks on Trubisky has been that he often stares down his receivers and struggles to make it past his first read.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 6.07.17 PM.png

Good stuff...My thing about Trubisky is using him to his strengths (running, quick passes) until he really grasps reading defenses. Give him time but help him and don't put too much on him. Win by running the ball and playing great defense. Also, let Mitch run when he wants to, he's great at that. If Billy Kilmer could get to a Super Bowl then so can Mitch!

• Thumb down 1

18 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Good stuff...My thing about Trubisky is using him to his strengths (running, quick passes) until he really grasps reading defenses. Give him time but help him and don't put too much on him. Win by running the ball and playing great defense. Also, let Mitch run when he wants to, he's great at that. If Billy Kilmer could get to a Super Bowl then so can Mitch!

I don't really care that much who the veteran FA if its a flier type is as long as they draft one.   I like Mariota over Trubisky if i had to choose one.  Both are good runners.  Both are fast. Mariota ran a 4.48, Trubisky 4.67.  I'd bet against both ending up turning around their careers here and for different reasons.  But I think they both likely end up upgrades over Heinicke if they have to play while grooming a young QB.

I would not make this trade but I think we have the pieces the Texans would take for Watson. Texans dline stinks we would send Payne sweat and 2 first round picks. I would not consider it but that would probably be enough if we could convince him to come. Who else other then dolphins are on his list and what due they have to offer. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

Empty stats some said in the last QB thread in the previous off season as to Stafford.   IMO W-L records aren't all on QBs.  Context matters IMO.  If you get a QB who has the team on their shoulders its night and day than a guy like Jimmy G for example.  Ditto ability to make big plays in big moments like Stafford did in Detriot.

Why am I harping on this?  I am hoping Derrik Carr makes the trade market.  He's another talented dude that his team puts everything on his shoulders -- and like Stafford he's clutch.  And yeah some of the Raider fans like the Lions fans with Stafford blame him on them not being a playoff team typically.  But IMO if you give Carr a better team like Stafford was given, he all of a sudden will transform for being a "loser" to a "winner". 

I am hoping the Raiders lose tonight so its easier for the Raiders to move on from Carr.  I think if the Raiders win, no way he hits the market.  

5 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I would not make this trade but I think we have the pieces the Texans would take for Watson. Texans dline stinks we would send Payne sweat and 2 first round picks. I would not consider it but that would probably be enough if we could convince him to come. Who else other then dolphins are on his list and what due they have to offer. 

we make that trade he'll be banned from the NFL for life

19 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Watson coming here is pretty much a 100% non-starter. He has a no-trade clause which essentially means he picks where he goes. From what we've read, we're definitely not on his short list of teams, and the reporting so far has said that he's probably not very open to changing his mind.

Out of Rodgers, Watson, and Wilson, the only person who there's a non-zero chance of getting would be Wilson, though that's still a huge huge long shot. We're apparently not on his short list but the recent reporting (thanks @Skinsinparadise) seems to indicate that he's not as dead set on his list as Watson. But yeah, still a long shot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:But IMO if you give Carr a better team like Stafford was given, he all of a sudden will transform for being a "loser" to a "winner". 

One minor problem, we wouldn’t have given Stafford a better team like the Rams did and we won’t be giving Carr a better team.

Although if Carr hits the market, wouldn’t mind making a run at him.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Watson coming here is pretty much a 100% non-starter. He has a no-trade clause which essentially means he picks where he goes. From what we've read, we're definitely not on his short list of teams, and the reporting so far has said that he's probably not very open to changing his mind.

Out of Rodgers, Watson, and Wilson, the only person who there's a non-zero chance of getting would be Wilson, though that's still a huge huge long shot. We're apparently not on his short list but the recent reporting (thanks @Skinsinparadise) seems to indicate that he's not as dead set on his list as Watson. But yeah, still a long shot.

Do we know who is on Watson list other then miami. Watson will definitely be on the market.

Edited by Redskins 2021

My gut is the Lions and Texans don't take QBs.  But Carolina and Denver I think definitely do if they don't land a veteran before the draft. 

I think the Jets at 4 or 5 depending on today's game is prime real estate if a team trades up.

1 minute ago, stoshuaj said:

One minor problem, we wouldn’t have given Stafford a better team like the Rams did and we won’t be giving Carr a better team.

Although if Carr hits the market, wouldn’t mind making a run at him.

I think we'd be a clear peg better than the crappy Lions rosters.  And yeah I do think we are better team than the Raiders sans QB.  

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Empty stats some said in the last QB thread in the previous off season as to Stafford.   IMO W-L records aren't all on QBs.  Context matters IMO.  If you get a QB who has the team on their shoulders its night and day than a guy like Jimmy G for example.  Ditto ability to make big plays in big moments like Stafford did in Detriot.

Why am I harping on this?  I am hoping Derrik Carr makes the trade market.  He's another talented dude that his team puts everything on his shoulders -- and like Stafford he's clutch.  And yeah some of the Raider fans like the Lions fans with Stafford blame him on them not being a playoff team typically.  But IMO if you give Carr a better team like Stafford was given, he all of a sudden will transform for being a "loser" to a "winner". 

I am hoping the Raiders lose tonight so its easier for the Raiders to move on from Carr.  I think if the Raiders win, no way he hits the market.  

If Jay gets the Panthers OC job (and the Raiders decide to trade Carr (which I highly doubt)), then I see Carolina making a godfather offer.

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If Jay gets the Panthers OC job (and the Raiders decide to trade Carr (which I highly doubt)), then I see Carolina making a godfather offer.

Could be.  Jay seems to really like Carr a lot. 

My main point of wonder is does @Voice_of_Reason bolt to become a Panthers fan if they make Jay their new offensive coordinator? 😀

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we'd be a clear peg better than the crappy Lions rosters.  And yeah I do think we are better team than the Raiders sans QB.  

Agree on the Lions but we damn sure aren’t the Rams.  I don’t think you can equate Stafford’s  success w the Rams to what he may have done here.

Raiders?, a push, at best.  IMHO 

Either way, come hell or high water, find a qb

Edited by stoshuaj
Stanford? Thanks spellcheck

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be.  Jay seems to really like Carr a lot. 

My main point of wonder is does @Voice_of_Reason bolt to become a Panthers fan if they make Jay their new offensive coordinator? 😀

Guess my only hope is they hire Jay, fire the HC out of frustration  a year or two later, leading him to take over as HC and eventually win 10 games so I dont have to buy him a steak dinner. Running out time on that one...:806:

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Agree on the Lions but we damn sure aren’t the Rams.  I don’t think you can equate Stafford’s  success w the Rams to what he may have done here.

We aren't the Rams clearly.  But I like this roster way better than Detriot.  It wasn't my point though.  My point wasn't that the WFt = Rams.  My point was Stafford is a good Qb and would solve our Qb issues.  Some disagreed citing his W-L record. 

Raiders?, a push, at best.  IMHO 

IMHO disagree and IMO its not really that close.  The Raiders have a really bad O line.  We don't.  They have a bad running game.  We don't.  Their defense and ours was a wash this year.  They ranked 27th in points allowed.  Our defense grossly underacheived but it also faced a murders row of QBs. 

Either way, come hell or high water, find a qb

Agree

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 7.49.08 PM.png

• Thumb up 1