Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

28 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think one of the questions we need to answer is would we trade a 9-8 or 10-7 season with a reclamation QB whether it be Ryan, Marriotta, or even Carr and Wilson for a 5-12 season with a rookie QB who flashes enough that we think he could become a franchise player down the road?

It's not too hard to imagine this team winning 9 or 10 games. You could almost imagine it with the team as constituted if somehow we aren't ravaged by injuries and we get Thomas, McKissic, Samuel, Young, etc. back and some of our extreme underperformers Young, Sweat find their way. If Collins has found his place in the NFL as a Buffalo Nickel and Jackson with a year under this system stops making all the mental mistakes, then this team can be a winner. I don't think it can be a Super Bowl winner, but I think it's a playoff contender and might even win a single game, but that would be its highest ceiling. 

On the other hand, if we get a rookie QB, I have to imagine our ceiling for 2022 is going to be around 8 games and it's more likely we win 3-6. Are we okay with that?

Id much rather want flashes of elite play than settling for the mediocre ceiling yet again. At this point whats another year of losing? The only time I have had as a 32 year old fan with hope for the future is with RG3. QB play now a days is just way too important and settling for mediocre at the spot is settling for mediocre as a whole. 

So give me the young guy. The problem here is I dont think any of the young guys are going to be elite. Think a couple will end up in that mediocre range. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Id much rather want flashes of elite play than settling for the mediocre ceiling yet again. At this point whats another year of losing? The only time I have had as a 32 year old fan with hope for the future is with RG3. QB play now a days is just way too important and settling for mediocre at the spot is settling for mediocre as a whole. 

So give me the young guy. The problem here is I dont think any of the young guys are going to be elite. Think a couple will end up in that mediocre range. 

I'm probably with you though I'd qualify it. Hienike in the playoffs last year and for a few flashes were fun. There were some moments of fun in Gibbs II, too but they were the sparks of fireflies, here and gone with no residual light to mark a path.

I honestly believed, hoped, clung to the idea that the rally at the end of 2020 could be a building moment. That the team was learning how to fight, how to be resilient, and how to win. Boy, was I wrong. They came out flatter than flat and regressed so far it wasn't childhood, but looked a previous incarnation. In fact, Del Rio became Haslett and Barry which I wouldn't have thought possible.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm probably with you though I'd qualify it. Hienike in the playoffs last year and for a few flashes were fun. There were some moments of fun in Gibbs II, too but they were the sparks of fireflies, here and gone with no residual light to mark a path.

I honestly believed, hoped, clung to the idea that the rally at the end of 2020 could be a building moment. That the team was learning how to fight, how to be resilient, and how to win. Boy, was I wrong. They came out flatter than flat and regressed so far it wasn't childhood, but looked a previous incarnation. In fact, Del Rio became Haslett and Barry which I wouldn't have thought possible.

I heavily follow college recruiting and draft talk. Since 2018 this draft class has been talked about going to be a weak one due to the HS recruiting class being the worst on record. Had among the lowest number of QBs in the top 300 in the recruiting class ever. With the position becoming more and more traits based the top guys are significantly easier to point out years ahead. Look at the top 5-10 guys in the NFL right now. All of them are upper echelon athletes at worst sans brady. All of them can move. Its why the 2019 recruiting class was long seen as a bad draft class for the 2022 draft. 

Its also why I was so hard to saying that 2020 for Ron and co needed to be the "tank" year. Play your young guys. Sell off pieces that wont be here. Stick with Haskins to figure out what you have. Eat the bad contracts you can (Alex). The draft community knew that 2021 was the year to strike for QB with 2022 dearth of talent looming. Now Ron has painted himself into a corner having to pick either some mediocre Vets or some rookie that likely wont even be ready for 2022 to begin with. Fast forward a year to the 2023 offseason. Year 4 looming Ron has gone one of two paths. Vet and were roughly in the same 8-10 win spot battling for a WC or 6-8 wins with a Rookie. Ron needs a contract extension after the season or hes fired. 

Based on some of the things Ron has said over the past 2 years, I dont think hes a forward planner in regards to the roster. I also dont think thats specifically a Ron only issue either. Many Coaches who are in charge of the organization think the same way. You have to win the next game is always their thought first. Ultimately I think once the Ron tenure is over, we'll look back and see that the 2020 season at the time was a "success" but big picture it couldnt have been any worse for Ron and Co.

Edited by Zim489
Forgot some words
  • Like 2

I actually hope Russell Wilson doesn't hit the trade market.  While i've been making the case of late that it might not be impossible for him to come here, I still don't like the odds.  More importantly, I also think the odds would be better he plays against us in the division than with us. 

Some here seem to love the idea of seeing Wilson in Giant Blue.  But to beat a dead horse, to each their own, but to me that's crazy.    The Giants defense actually isn't bad -- ranked better than ours in both yards and points allowed.  And like us they were plagued by injuries and they underachieved.  Turning arguably their top weakness into their strength and arguably giving them the best Qb they've had in my lifetime doesn't make me excited.

So Russell please stay in Seattle! 😀

16 hours ago, DWinzit said:

You are correct, very positive and there's a lot of negative vibes on the board. I get it, mostly the Danny factor.

We do have a lot of positives on this roster moving into the offseason. That's especially the case with the players returning from the IR and that cap space. Why can't that and the respect Ron still has through NFL bring some of the better players and perhaps a bigger name QB to Washington.  (must admit the stadium and general facilities status does hurt)

It's a better conversation for this week than today but I am actually pretty high on this roster.  I am not a cup half empty guy about this team.

they were one of the most injured teams, one of the most impacted by COVID-19, and had the schedule from hell all coverging at the same time.

I think their 4 game winning streak is reflective of where this team is going.

They got plenty of cap space and picks to make major strides.  Obviously QB is the key.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I see Mrs Wilson making the call for NYC. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think their 4 game winning streak is reflective of where this team is going.

I look back at the 3 of those games (TB they played great) as the type of coin flip games that you tend to go 500 on over the year. With Ron and co I expect them to win more of coin flip games than they lose due to them learning to not beat themselves with Penalties and TOs. The ceiling isnt raised but the floor has significantly. 

Just like Panther fans I know, Ron wont ever let you bottom out but you get tired of the mediocrity over time.

13 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I see Mrs Wilson making the call for NYC. 

I look back at the 3 of those games (TB they played great) as the type of coin flip games that you tend to go 500 on over the year. With Ron and co I expect them to win more of coin flip games than they lose due to them learning to not beat themselves with Penalties and TOs. The ceiling isnt raised but the floor has significantly. 

Just like Panther fans I know, Ron wont ever let you bottom out but you get tired of the mediocrity over time.

I look back at the season and see how central 3 dudes who were undrafted FA's journeymen really helped lead the team through stretches.  Terry was a stalwart as usual.

But Heinicke started the whole year.  Deandre Carter was the #2 receiver for most of the year.  Ricky Seals Jones the top TE for most of the year.  Yet they were competitive.  

They were ahead in most of the game against Vegas and end up winning.  Vegas beating Dallas the week before.  And only losing one game after our game including beating the Colts with the playoffs on the line.

No Sweat, Young, Samuel, L. Thomas, McKissic, Rouillier for a good chunk of the season.  The year before they had a mile better luck as to COVID, injuries and a favorable schedule.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Broncos have alot of picks and players to move. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Going purely by rumors in recent days the veteran market for QBs might be pretty dry

That's going to drive the price up on any vet that does get moved.

Edited by Redskins 2021

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I look back at the season and see how central 3 dudes who were undrafted FA's journeymen really helped lead the team through stretches.  Terry was a stalwart as usual.

But Heinicke started the whole year.  Deandre Carter was the #2 receiver for most of the year.  Ricky Seals Jones the top TE for most of the year.  Yet they were competitive.  

They were ahead in most of the game against Vegas and end up winning.  Vegas beating Dallas the week before.  And only losing one game after our game including beating the Colts with the playoffs on the line.

No Sweat, Young, Samuel, L. Thomas, McKissic, Rouillier for a good chunk of the season.  The year before they had a mile better luck as to COVID, injuries and a favorable schedule.

I personally dont think they are close to anything of note at all. Even beyond just QB they lack elite talent across the board. Terry and JA is about it.

Texans say they will trade Watson before the start of free agency. We all know what we offered for Stafford, do we offer three 1sts for Watson assuming he's cleared to play next year?

Do we go for Tua after/if Miami gets Watson?

Do we go third tier again and sign Trubisky or Huntley? 

Do we draft a QB and just roll again with TH and Kyle Allen til the rookie is groomed and ready? 

Does Jaylen Hurts come available if the Eagles deal for Watson and would we have interest in him? 

Denver won't bring back both Bridgewater and Lock will they? 

I'm betting we sign Trubisky or Huntley and draft a rookie. Allen will be let go and the new QB room will be Trubisky, Heinicke and a kid draft pick. 

It's interesting to me that Allen didn't get a start down the stretch here, especially for today in NY. Has Heinicke put that much distance between himself and Allen? I don't know if I see that. Allen is still young and has shown that he can move the team. 

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Texans say they will trade Watson before the start of free agency. We all know what we offered for Stafford, do we offer three 1sts for Watson assuming he's cleared to play next year?

Do we go for Tua after/if Miami gets Watson?

Do we go third tier again and sign Trubisky or Huntley? 

Do we draft a QB and just roll again with TH and Kyle Allen til the rookie is groomed and ready? 

Does Jaylen Hurts come available if the Eagles deal for Watson and would we have interest in him? 

Denver won't bring back both Bridgewater and Lock will they? 

I'm betting we sign Trubisky or Huntley and draft a rookie. Allen will be let go and the new QB room will be Trubisky, Heinicke and a kid draft pick. 

It's interesting to me that Allen didn't get a start down the stretch here, especiallyI  for today in NY. Has Heinicke put that much distance between himself and Allen? I don't know if I see that. Allen is still young and has shown that he can move the team. 

I think it's Trubisky or Marrota and a rookie. I would give a third for Tua. Watch for Denver to make a huge run for Rodgers. If they hire the packers offensive coordinator.

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think it's Trubisky or Marrota and a rookie. I would give a third for Tua. Watch for Denver to make a huge run for Rodgers. If they hire the packers offensive coordinator.

A third for Tu’a would be a huge upgrade for virtually nothing for us. Get him and draft a dude. One of them has to at least be moderately not awful.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A third for Tu’a would be a huge upgrade for virtually nothing for us. Get him and draft a dude. One of them has to at least be moderately not awful.

If they get Watson what do you think Tua would get in a trade for dolphins. I read that the Texans do not want him.

I kind of hope they don't use any draft picks to trade for a QB.  If they do, just don't overpay.  All those QBs have flaws.  We need to keep drafting until we get a franchise QB.  Don't need  another average one.  If they were that good, their team would not be letting them go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

If you want a similar down the field pass offense this past year with Heineke, then Tua is your guy. 

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

If you want a similar down the field pass offense this past year with Heineke, then Tua is your guy. 

Tua has been rated as one of the best deep throw passers all season. It’s just that his Oline is the worst in the league. When he’s had time he’s delivered 

Edited by Zim489
Added a sentence

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Did I say he was the guy?

Nope, you didn't. 

How do you feel about Trubisky? For some reason I'm really ready to bring him in here and see what he can offer. He's big, can run and has a big arm, we know that. Can he be coached up and live up to his 1st round pick status? I see very little risk bringing him in and seeing what he can do.

• Thumb down 1

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Nope, you didn't. 

How do you feel about Trubisky? For some reason I'm really ready to bring him in here and see what he can offer. He's big, can run and has a big arm, we know that. Can he be coached up and live up to his 1st round pick status? I see very little risk bringing him in and seeing what he can do.

I like Trubisky in the sense that I think a year away from Nagy and a coaching staff who likes him and around Josh Allen is good for him.

I don't want him to be our 1A.

But I'd be good with him on the roster. He's an upgrade to Heinicke. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I like Trubisky in the sense that I think a year away from Nagy and a coaching staff who likes him and around Josh Allen is good for him.

I don't want him to be our 1A.

But I'd be good with him on the roster. He's an upgrade to Heinicke. 

I could see Trubisky jumping at the chance to come to DC and play for RR. I could also see some comparisons between Trubisky and Cam Newton given their size, arm strength, mobiiity, physicality and inaccuracy. I like the match and was calling for us to trade for Mitch at the deadline but apparently he got COVID and the deal fell through?

Just now, kingdaddy said:

I could see Trubisky jumping at the chance to come to DC and play for RR. I could also see some comparisons between Trubisky and Cam Newton given their size, arm strength, mobiiity, physicality and inaccuracy. I like the match and was calling for us to trade for Mitch at the deadline but apparently he got COVID and the deal fell through?

Fromm got COVID. So if something happened to Allen they didn't have a rostered backup.