Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Rivera knows as well as anyone that you can't win offensive match ups with someone like Heinicke. He stinks and im not even sure he's a lock over Allen to make our roster next season. 

His point on the deep ball was interesting.  One thing D. Hall brought up on a recent broadcast that is once the defense knows a team struggles to complete deep balls it amps the confidence of the defense to play closer to the line of scrimmage and play tight without worrying about getting burned.

Logan Paulsen said in one of his film reviews that their ability to run the ball in some games sets up the deep ball really well but unfortunately they can't really capitalize on that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

Listening to turner yesterday and he mentioned about QBs stating they have to be accurate that’s something they spoke about..

now being accurate is obvious but I wondered if that’s a hint they are seeing Corral or Howell more than say Willis who maybe more of a runner.. as a preferred choice !!

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan just followed up, he took it the same way I did.  That is, Rivera suggesting Fitzpatrick can throw a good deep ball and can throw into tight windows as something different than what we got.  i know Rivera is cool with and likes Heinicke but I take those comments as those are things they think a new QB can improve on versus Taylor.

So it sounds like Ron just pretty much took a side on a couple of debates that have been going on here for a while now:

1) Is Heinicke a legit starting caliber NFL QB?     Answer: No

2) Do you need to have a top QB to succeed long term in today's NFL?    Answer: Yes

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His point on the deep ball was interesting.  One thing D. Hall brought up on a recent broadcast that is once the defense knows a team struggles to complete deep balls it amps the confidence of the defense to play closer to the line of scrimmage and play tight without worrying about getting burned.

Logan Paulsen said in one of his film reviews that their ability to run the ball in some games sets up the deep ball really well but unfortunately they can't really capitalize on that.

Seattle and Vegas both started to load the box and leave the deep passing game wide open, but didn't have the horsepower to handle our Oline. Once our Oline started to get banged up heading into the first Dallas game, it was so completely obvious that their plan was to come out and just blindly attack the LoS. They used their Dline to take away any possible run lane and their LBers to take away the screen and quick passing around the LoS. They were able to immediately do that and then could just absolutely T off on Heinicke. The first half of the Dallas game, outside of a couple really well designed blitzes (that Heinicke either ignored or wasn't able to identify what so ever presnap (although we all could) our Oline was giving him plenty of time to throw, but he wasn't and when he did, it was better for them. Heinicke was locking on to 17 and just lofting turkeys with a prayer. We had guys open all over. If we had an NFL QB in the first Dallas game, we could have burned their defense and backed them way off the line keeping our run game open, but instead it began the colossal and glorious collapse of the 21 season. Get a damn QB indeed.

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So it sounds like Ron just pretty much took a side on a couple of debates that have been going on here for a while now:

2) Do you need to have a top QB to succeed long term in today's NFL?    Answer: Yes

Who is debating that? Seems pretty obvious that we are absolutely lacking a QB.

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

No doubt.  He been cautious about talking about Heinicke, its clear he likes him, but plenty of indications are that Keim is right (from what he's heard) which is they see him as a backup.

Ron is so good at being PC

"How do you feel about Heinicke as a starter?"

"we really like him, he's a great guy in the locker room and really appreciate what he's doing for us"

"what about the reports that you are looking for almost anyone else?"

"moving forward we'd like to add a QB who is good at throwing the ball and leading the team"

"do you think you can win without a QB?"

"Have you seen our record?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ron is so good at being PC

"How do you feel about Heinicke as a starter?"

"we really like him, he's a great guy in the locker room and really appreciate what he's doing for us"

"what about the reports that you are looking for almost anyone else?"

"moving forward we'd like to add a QB who is good at throwing the ball and leading the team"

"do you think you can win without a QB?"

"Have you seen our record?"

:ols:   Yeah that's Ron, not just in that interview but a bunch of them, where he talks up Heinicke but at the same time gives message after message that's he's not their guy for the long haul.  To me the biggest reveal was weeks ago on the Junkies where he admitted they are all over the QBs in this draft and talk about them every week.  You obviously don't do that when you have the guy in the building.  I doubt the Cardinals for example would go yeah we are constantly talking about the QBs in this draft in the building.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

:ols:   Yeah that's Ron, not just in that interview but a bunch of them, where he talks up Heinicke but at the same teams gives message after message that's he's not their guy for the long haul.  To me the biggest reveal was weeks ago on the Junkies where he admitted they are all over the QBs in this draft and talk about them every week.  You obviously don't do that when you have the guy in the building.  I doubt the Cardinals for example would go yeah we are constantly talking about the QBs in this draft in the building.

We need at least 2 new QBs on the roster and one on the PS this offseason. I'm curious if they bring back Heinicke or Allen. Allen is my guess, but I don't see them both coming back. Allen has been with Ron/Turner longer and is the perfect assistant coach type to keep around. Heinicke would be more of a distraction, especially going from QB1 to QB3.

• Like 1

Yeah with Ron you mostly have to base your interpretation of his comments on what he didn't say, not what he did, and the fact that he's a very straight shooter and says what he means. If he thought Heinicke was a legit starter for them he would have said it. If he thought they could be a successful team without a top QB he would have said it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We need at least 2 new QBs on the roster and one on the PS this offseason. I'm curious if they bring back Heinicke or Allen. Allen is my guess, but I don't see them both coming back. Allen has been with Ron/Turner longer and is the perfect assistant coach type to keep around. Heinicke would be more of a distraction, especially going from QB1 to QB3.

Sheehan speculated again this morning:  Trubisky, Rookie QB, Heinicke.  Yeah I don't sense Rivera is down on Heinicke as a backup.  I think he likes him as a backup.  But its clear he doesn't see him as the long term starter.

• Like 2

Listened to Garafalo on Standig's latest podcast.  Garafalo I'd say is probably one of the 5 most plugged in guys in the league, he's often right.  His thoughts

A.  He thinks this team is better than their record, a lot of bad luck with injuries and other things

B.  He thinks Rivera is a drawing card, likable and seen as a good coach and this roster is actually decent and for those reasons he thinks they have a shot to nail some of the veteran QB options

C.  His guess is he doesn't think Tua is seen as the guy in Miami, thinks Watson might end up there since that's where he wants to go

D.  He thinks Matt Ryan could be on the market.  He doesn't know about Carr but he doesn't think he should be on the market considering how well he's played

E.  Denver was hot for Aaron Rodgers, if Rodgers doesn't hit the market in the end, Denver could be a wildcard in some of these veteran trades.  He expects Carolina and WFT to be aggressive too

F.  If Judge stays, Daniel Jones likely is the guy and they don't end up aggressive in the QB market.  Implying if Judge is fired that might change.

G.  He thinks they have a shot at Wilson.  He thinks it would be a good fit for him and thinks they could talk him into this being a good destination spot for him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Garafalo on Standig's latest podcast.  Garafalo I'd say is probably one of the 5 most plugged in guys in the league, he's often right.  His thoughts

A.  He thinks this team is better than their record, a lot of bad luck with injuries and other things

B.  He thinks Rivera is a drawing card, likable and seen as a good coach and this roster is actually decent and for those reasons he thinks they have a shot to nail some of the veteran QB options

C.  His guess is he doesn't think Tua is seen as the guy in Miami, thinks Watson might end up there since that's where he wants to go

D.  He thinks Matt Ryan could be on the market.  He doesn't know about Carr but he doesn't think he should be on the market considering how well he's played

E.  Denver was hot for Aaron Rodgers, if Rodgers doesn't hit the market in the end, Denver could be a wildcard in some of these veteran trades.  He expects Carolina and WFT to be aggressive too

F.  If Judge stays, Daniel Jones likely is the guy and they don't end up aggressive in the QB market.  Implying if Judge is fired that might change.

G.  He thinks they have a shot at Wilson.  He thinks it would be a good fit for him and thinks they could talk him into this being a good destination spot for him

I dont think I want Ryan if it was 2 years ago all for it but I get the feeling the floor could fall out on him any min.

I think Wilson may be able to be convinced to come Washington but I think Miami is a wildcard with him because he will be cheaper then Watson and Seattle may like Tua.

Also, I think Judge may be gone on Monday. They have been terrible this year and getting worse week in and out.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Imagine getting Baker Mayfield this year and he's gotta do those Progressive "At Home With Baker Mayfield" commercials at the piece of **** that is Fed Ex field.  

I wouldn't be excited about getting him but this would make it slightly more palatable.  Alice Cooper comes over and gets blasted with a broken pipe spewing liquid **** everywhere.  Mayfield goes to give him a hand to help him up and Cooper pulls him down in it....etc, etc.

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Imagine getting Baker Mayfield this year and he's gotta do those Progressive "At Home With Baker Mayfield" commercials at the piece of **** that is Fed Ex field.  

I wouldn't be excited about getting him but this would make it slightly more palatable.  Alice Cooper comes over and gets blasted with a broken pipe spewing liquid **** everywhere.  Mayfield goes to give him a hand to help him up and Cooper pulls him down in it....etc, etc.

Putting zip ties on the railings and saying "that should do it".

Walking around taking down other teams banners "good as new!"

Flash shot of a small bear trying to eat a stale pretzel and Baker running up trying to chase it away "we don't play you for two weeks"

• Haha 5

Meanwhile, there's a ton of speculation about Baker Mayfield on the BMitch and Finlay show.  Zampese was his QB coach in Cleveland.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/10/09/ken-zampese-architect-cleveland-browns-baker-mayfield/

Perhaps having a more experienced coach in Mayfield’s ear during the week is what he needs to excel. He had that last season with Ken Zampese, who worked as the quarterbacks coach on Hue Jackson’s staff. Zampese has been a quarterbacks coach in the NFL for 14 seasons and has experience in other capacities as well.

Former Browns offensive line coach Bob Wylie said in the offseason it was Zampese, not Kitchens, who turned around Cleveland’s offense during the second half of the 2018 season. Even though Kitchens was the offensive coordinator, Wylie said Zampese was the “mastermind” of the offense.

Although it is hard to believe Zampese was orchestrating Cleveland’s explosive offense during the second half of the year, it would make sense Zampese’s coaching helped Mayfield. With Zampese as the quarterbacks coach, Mayfield was standing strong in the pocket and delivering throws all over the field. He was not missing high on a lot of throws, and he was also getting throws over the linemen at the line of scrimmage.

• Thumb up 1

I know Baker is injured but still don't see it as a good sign that this is a discussion point that I've seen multiple times

15 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Former Browns offensive line coach Bob Wylie said in the offseason it was Zampese, not Kitchens, who turned around Cleveland’s offense during the second half of the 2018 season. Even though Kitchens was the offensive coordinator, Wylie said Zampese was the “mastermind” of the offense.

Although it is hard to believe Zampese was orchestrating Cleveland’s explosive offense during the second half of the year, it would make sense Zampese’s coaching helped Mayfield. With Zampese as the quarterbacks coach, Mayfield was standing strong in the pocket and delivering throws all over the field. He was not missing high on a lot of throws, and he was also getting throws over the linemen at the line of scrimmage.

The irony to that is according to some Zampese is part of the problem and part of the reason why they don't trust this staff to groom a young QB here.  

My guess we strike on all the major veteran qbs. We end up with Mariota or Trubisky for a 2-3 year deal. We draft a rookie with our first round pick, if the one we want is available when we pick. If not, we punt drafting a QB for the future in 23/24 and keep both Taylor and Kyle.  If we do draft a QB, who will be a backup or his rookie year; then Taylor or Kyle will be 3rd string QB.  My guess, it will be Taylor because if the coaches really were in Love with Kyle; he would've started after our 2-6 start. 

Now, Marcus and Mitch would be reluctant but you tell them, while we are probably drafting a qb; they will be given ever opportunity to be the starter for 22 and if they have a good 22 season, they could parlay that to a job somewhere if not here.

We aren't getting Wilson, Watson or Rodgers. Despite all the talk about Carr, if he gets traded; it won't be us. I think the Raiders, if they move on from Carr; will be a strong candidate for Rodgers or Wilson and they would trade Carr to the team th at thery acquire Aaron or Russ from.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan speculated again this morning:  Trubisky, Rookie QB, Heinicke.  Yeah I don't sense Rivera is down on Heinicke as a backup.  I think he likes him as a backup.  But its clear he doesn't see him as the long term starter.

This fully makes sense unless they get a trade offer for TH. If that occurs they bring back Allen.

My one concern is with a Trubisky type and TH, would they look to a later round for drafting a QB. I would like to see them still go with first rounder they feel good about

Trubisky makes no sense though.  He's one of - if not the worst - deep ball throwers in the league.  Ron's been complaining a lot that he doesn't have a QB who can throw the deep ball with any accuracy.  Trubisky would be a huge letdown if they go this way, IMHO, and only add to Terry's frustration at the WR spot.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One thing D. Hall brought up on a recent broadcast that is once the defense knows a team struggles to complete deep balls it amps the confidence of the defense to play closer to the line of scrimmage and play tight without worrying about getting burned.

I mentioned this in response to another poster in the TH thread.  Their point was that it's hard to gauge TH over the last several games due to all the injuries.  Which I think is fair to some extent.  My point though is that I don't think our Oline looks as bad if we had a guy behind center with the whole field at his disposal.  Having a noodle arm back there only breeds more confidence in the defense to pin their ears back as there are parts of the field they simply don't have to worry about at all.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1