Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I've seen a fair bit of Matt Ryan recently and can say I don't want him. He will make an amazing throw one minute and then do something so dumb he looks like a rookie in his first game. That is my pocket talking TBH but I just don't want that guy in a Redskins uniform.

17 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I've seen a fair bit of Matt Ryan recently and can say I don't want him. He will make an amazing throw one minute and then do something so dumb he looks like a rookie in his first game. That is my pocket talking TBH but I just don't want that guy in a Redskins uniform.

He's not the guy for us. He can still play but he's super old. He's got like one year left probably. He'll go a team like the Steelers.

• Thumb up 2

If Miami isn't into Watson, who would even be left on his short list? I remember reading early last year that Miami, Carolina, and the Jets were on his short list of teams he'd waive his no-trade clause for. Maybe SF was in there too?

If he sticks hard to that list then that basically just leaves Carolina. Can you imagine if Carolina knew that and basically was able to lowball Houston and get Watson for a single 1st rounder or something? That would be insane.

I guess the other option would be for the Texans to just refuse to trade him. But then his huge contract stays on their cap sheet and would potentially cripple them. I guess they could try to not pay him, but then that would end up in a legal battle.

So then either Watson expands his list of potential teams or goes through a protracted legal battle with the Texans while not playing any football. Will be interesting to see what happens.

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

I dont think people understand the timing of the Ron contract here saying he wont be fired. Coaches don't coach lame duck contract years. So either Ron shows major steps this offseason and next 2 years or hes out. Unless Dan is contempt with more empty stadiums because if he has more middling 7-9 win seasons no one is showing up for more mediocrity to sign the losing record HC to an extension. 

To be honest, it’s more likely he gets extended than fired. Dude is definitely getting all 5 years. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Watson to Carolina makes the most sense. He's a hometown hero and their owner is desperate for a splash(I get young Dan Snyder vibes from him).

Giants will push hard for Russ Wilson.

I know someone asked Watson if he would come. He said no. Maybe things change maybe they don't. I think we have the package houston wants with are Dline players. Do we want him is the question. Can we change his mind.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Saw this somewhere in a fan blog, and it was intriguing. Haven't been on here all season since I'm an off-season guy on these boards.

My mind will change about a dozen times between now and the draft and I would honestly be happy with any direction we go at this rate. But here's my present ideal plan.

1. Trade for Tyler Huntley, sign to a 3 year deal. Trade Baltimore a 3rd and conditional 2023 4th

2. Trade pick #11 IF a team wants to come up. Try pulling a Giants from last year, if a team comes up for a QB. Try and get a 2023 1st for moving back into the draft. Maybe the Steelers ... Saints ... idk who, but dangle that pick to a team later on and try to accumulate 2023 picks for a QB move.

3. Draft ... whatever. I assume we'll use FA to acquire some talent on both sides of the ball ... I want an RG, WR, TE, LB, CB drafted.

4. Make the playoffs in 2022 with a revamped team and Huntley at QB and hope you hit gold. Otherwise, you're probably in the same position ... 7-9 win team in 2022. And you have 2023 draft coming up with 2 #1s to make a play in a stronger QB class.

*Of course, this plan will have to be sold to ownership and Rivera will need the security of having a 4th and 5th year unless 2022 turns into a dumpster fire.

If I could somehow turn the #11 pick into a late 1st or early 2nd, a 2023 1st, and a 3rd or 4th round pick (that would replace what was sent off for Huntley), I'd be pretty happy. You keep get a 2022 QB and a 2023 1st as a contingency plan in exchange for dropping down and losing access to a premier talent, most likely.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wit33 said:

To be honest, it’s more likely he gets extended than fired. Dude is definitely getting all 5 years. 

That's not a sure thing.  He will get all 5 years, provided he does something drastic at the QB position.  If we stand pat, or fail to get any of the top QB's this coming draft for whatever reason, then all bets are off.  In the NFL you get 3 years to prove to team management that you have a vision, a plan and most importantly a QB that you can win with and compete for a SB with.  That last one is what's holding Rivera back, and could cripple him before he has a chance to prove that the culture is indeed successful.  Coaches have been fired for far less. 

Look at what happened to the Dolphins today.  Flores won 10 games, and then 9 games with Fitzpatrick and then Tua as his QB's.  All Miami had to do was trade for Watson, and then they'd be a team to be reckoned with in the AFC.  They were slow to pull the trigger because Flores believed in Tua when management didn't.  Now Flores has been fired for that reason.  Rivera has had two 7 win seasons, and won a division with a losing record.  He's anything but safe unless they try to improve at QB big time.  That means no more retreads or mediocre QBs'.  The longer we wait to make our move like Miami did, the less enthusiastic management will be about future plans.

Edited by samy316

Listening to an interview with Jimmy Johnson who stated the only real QB stats how many playoff games did you win and then subsequent Super Bowls?   

Here's an interesting stat for active QB's being talked about here - 

Russell Wilson

Playoff record: 9-7
Home playoff record: 5-1
Road playoff record: 3-5
Non-wild card playoff record: 5-5
30-30-30 seasons: 0
Playoff points per game average: 24.13
Super Bowl starts: 2
Super Bowl rings: 1

Aaron Rodgers

Playoff record: 11-9
Home playoff record: 5-3
Road playoff record: 5-6
Non-wild card playoff record: 7-7
Playoff points per game average: 28.15
Super Bowl starts: 1
Super Bowl rings: 1

Deshaun Watson

Playoff record: 1-2
Home playoff record: 1-1
Road playoff record: 0-1
Non-wild card playoff record: 0-1
Playoff points per game average: 20.00
Super Bowl starts: 0
Super Bowl rings: 0

Matt Ryan

Playoff record: 4-6
Home playoff record: 3-2
Road playoff record: 1-3
Non-wild card playoff record: 3-4
Playoff points per game average: 24.50

Matthew Stafford

Playoff record: 0-3
Home playoff record: 0-0
Road playoff record: 0-3
Non-wild card playoff record: 0-0
Playoff points per game average: 18.00
Super Bowl starts: 0

Jimmy Garoppolo

Playoff record:  3-1

Home playoff record: 3-0

Road playoff record: 0-0

Non-wild card playoff record:  0-0

Playoff points per game average: 26.00

26 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If Miami isn't into Watson, who would even be left on his short list? I remember reading early last year that Miami, Carolina, and the Jets were on his short list of teams he'd waive his no-trade clause for. Maybe SF was in there too?

If he sticks hard to that list then that basically just leaves Carolina. Can you imagine if Carolina knew that and basically was able to lowball Houston and get Watson for a single 1st rounder or something? That would be insane.

I guess the other option would be for the Texans to just refuse to trade him. But then his huge contract stays on their cap sheet and would potentially cripple them. I guess they could try to not pay him, but then that would end up in a legal battle.

So then either Watson expands his list of potential teams or goes through a protracted legal battle with the Texans while not playing any football. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I wonder if Pittsburgh could come into the mix if he wants to play for Tomlin.  I know that it doesn’t appear that it would be Pittsburgh’s M.O. to trade assets to get a QB, but they are entering new territory post Ben.

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I wonder if Pittsburgh could come into the mix if he wants to play for Tomlin.  I know that it doesn’t appear that it would be Pittsburgh’s M.O. to trade assets to get a QB, but they are entering new territory post Ben.

I could see it Ben had some problems and they did sign vick.

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Matt Ryan   :ols:  That's gonna be a hard NO. Dudes 64 and hit his ceiling in 83.

I hope you like to be disappointed.  I think that's exactly who they're going to get if it's not Mitch. 

I think they're going to try for Wilson, probably not Watson, Rodgers and Carr, and none of them are going to move.  

I think they trade something nominal for Ryan, and take a lot of his salary cap baggage as an exchange rather than giving up picks.

Then I think they're going to take a QB in the first round.  

Matt Ryan would be a 100% upgrade from Taylor Heineky.  And everybody knows it.  You get Ryan in the house for a year or two and let your young guy develop behind him and TH, and that's the plan.

This team as currently constructed would have won at least 2-3 more games this year with Matt Ryan at QB.  That's not world-beating, but it's in the playoffs at 9-8 or 10-7.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

None of these predictions will pan out but if I had to guess ... in order of draft picks and need at QB

2. Lions - Ride Goff another year, draft talent to build the roster, target QB with multiple 2023 picks in 2023

3. Houston - rides with Davis Mills another year

5. Giants - Draft a QB

6. Carolina - Draft a QB

7. Atlanta - Wildcard, but my guess is they wait another year for QB

9. Broncos - Trade for Jordan Love / Tyler Huntley

11. Washington - Trade for Huntley / Love and target QB in 2023

12. Minnesota - draft a QB in mid-rounds

18. Saints - Another wildcard - either trade for Wilson or Carr

19. Pittsburgh - trade for Watson

21. Raiders - either stick with Carr or trade Carr to Saints and trade for Wilson

32. Packers - bring back Rodgers

*Seattle - big wildcard with Carrol and Wilson but my guess is they trade Wilson for at least a #1 ... and might position themselves in that case to trade for Huntley or Jordan Love.

Reality is the WFT could sit out the QB shenanigans of the free agency cycle, and likely be well-psitioned to have access to the 3rd QB at worst, and trade up for their choice for a lesser cost than most seasons IF they want to go that direction.

For me, having another draft of "building the roster" while accumulating 2023 picks would be ideal. I want access to a top 2023 QB versus this class.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

None of these predictions will pan out but if I had to guess ... in order of draft picks and need at QB

2. Lions - Ride Goff another year, draft talent to build the roster, target QB with multiple 2023 picks in 2023

3. Houston - rides with Davis Mills another year

5. Giants - Draft a QB

6. Carolina - Draft a QB

7. Atlanta - Wildcard, but my guess is they wait another year for QB

9. Broncos - Trade for Jordan Love / Tyler Huntley

11. Washington - Trade for Huntley / Love and target QB in 2023

12. Minnesota - draft a QB in mid-rounds

18. Saints - Another wildcard - either trade for Wilson or Carr

19. Pittsburgh - trade for Watson

21. Raiders - either stick with Carr or trade Carr to Saints and trade for Wilson

32. Packers - bring back Rodgers

Reality is the WFT could sit out the QB shenanigans of the free agency cycle, and likely be well-psitioned to have access to the 3rd QB at worst, and trade up for their choice for a lesser cost than most seasons IF they want to go that direction.

For me, having another draft of "building the roster" while accumulating 2023 picks would be ideal. I want access to a top 2023 QB versus this class.

I think we will do something bigger Jimmy Garoppolo Mitch Trubisky  or Marcus Mariota. I was thinking Tua this morning but now I have no idea. I could see miami and Seattle trading QBs with other stuff going to Seattle. 

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think the Falcons can trade Ryan because of his contract. It'd cripple their cap.

Ryan’s cap number for 2022 is close to $49M.  It’s $43.6M in 2023.  If they trade him, they take on a big cap hit, but they get big savings too.  Dead cap of 25M in 2022 and 15.6M in 2023.  The question is whether or not they want to remain a 6-8 win team with Ryan or start their next chapter.

https://overthecap.com/player/matt-ryan/823/

3 hours ago, MrJL said:

I don't think Rivera needs to draft a QB to be kept around past next year.  Gibbs, Shanny and Gruden got four seasons (and a few games for Gruden).  It's been over a decade since we fired a coach quickly, and the team had regressed under Zorn in his second year

As for QB, I think if we get someone it will be a leftover.  We get a QB someone has to move because they got a QB

A rookie qb whether they play a lot or mostly sit; gives Ron time.

A veteran qb where we don’t draft a qb; then the expectation is at minimum a 9-8 season. A losing season with that vet, would be 3 straight losing seasons and it won’t matter we made the playoffs in Year 1.  DanTan would move on. Also, if we another slow start with that vet qb; DanTan could make an in season change.

No gaurantee that rookie will be successful but as others have said; we keep on drafting until we find one.

4 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think we will do something bigger Jimmy Garoppolo Mitch Trubisky  or Marcus Mariota. I was thinking Tua this morning but now I have no idea. I could see miami and Seattle trading QBs with other stuff going to Seattle. 

Well, if Watson goes to Miami then 100%. I know Tua had been floated earlier in the season and since that point he played pretty well. I would be okay with Tua if he comes free, and my guess is he'd be available for less than a 1st. Maybe a 2nd and a conditional in 2023. BUT, what I would do is insulate myself against a bad Tua season, and try to accumulate picks in 2023 for another Alabama QB (Bryce Young) should the experiment fail with Tua.

It's too bad we were so unhealthy on offense this year. The lack of anything from Dyami Brown and Curtis Samuel makes it tough to know what to do in the off-season. Obviously the defense could use some work. But I would also expect we add talent on offense. Another WR and RB namely, regardless of what we do with McKissic.

With a few key free agents and a lot of cap space, I'm sure a lot of our weaknesses will be shored up before the draft ... so hard to know what to do with #11 if QB is not an option.

I would not be against bringing in Jameis. He might throw a few, but at least he’s going to give us points and yards. I believe he’s a free agent and I also think he’s a realistic option. 

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera doesn’t have that luxury this offseason.

Rivera needs a winning season next year. 

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

I would not be against bringing in Jameis. He might throw a few, but at least he’s going to give us points and yards. I believe he’s a free agent and I also think he’s a realistic option. 

Rivera needs a winning season next year. 

I'd be in favor of Jameis too personally but Taysom's injury will likely mean he stays put.