Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Do you think the team has the capital

to squire anyone not Iike Jimmy G? Because I don’t think they do unless they deplete the cupboard for years to come .

I don't see why not. I'd much rather get a mediocre FA QB and draft a guy in the 1st than spend draft capital on a guy like Jimmy G and hope that we can put together the kind of dominant team that can carry him to a SB, which is super unlikely.

6 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Do you think the team has the capital

to squire anyone not Iike Jimmy G? Because I don’t think they do unless they deplete the cupboard for years to come .

Who knows. Depends on the price. I wonder if it has come down at all, and a lot will likely be dictated by who is on the Watson waived trade list. In the end he's going to have to open it up so that he can ever play again, but if the list is narrow and WFT is on it, we can simply try and control the negotiations by not bowing down to crippling asking prices.

I would offer #11, 3rd rounder this year ... 2023 1st rounder, Daron Payne. That's the top-end of what I would offer.

You'd have a 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th (4 picks) remaining in the draft class, so you'd be pretty barren and could maybe bank on 2 contributors with those remaining picks. The rest would go to free agency, which would also be a bit hamstrung with needing to now bring back Settle ... extend McLaurin ... and absorb the contract of Watson.

Kind of a double-whammy that can impact the roster this off-season pretty dramatically, but if they think this team is a QB away from legit contending, then let's go. In 2 years we'll look back and probably have no regrets ... it just might feel steep today since we will have our hands tied a bit in terms of upgrading the defense and OL.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Watson, without baggage, is easily worth 3 first rounders plus a fair bit of change on top. 

I'm not sure how that baggage gets resolved before the middle of March though.

That the risk. This guy is the perfect guy for are offense. Get a middle linebacker and we are 10 to 13 win team. Trubisky Marrota or Bridgewater we win 7 to 10 games. Watson makes us darkhourse superbowl team if he plays up to his ability.Plus green bay and Tampa will be decline. He can paper over alot of are problems.

Edited by Redskins 2021

26 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

You thinking Bridgewater Marrota or Trubisky level

I haven't watched enough of other teams to give you any real opinion about either but off the top of my head i dont like any of those options. You are better off asking someone like Kdawg, Steve or one of our many actual intelligent people lol. I am a step above hamburger buns when it comes to football IQ but still below bacon. 

Edit: Skinsinparadise too. There. Thats everyone I can think of. If your name is not listed assume I did so maliciously and fight me. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't see why not. I'd much rather get a mediocre FA QB and draft a guy in the 1st than spend draft capital on a guy like Jimmy G and hope that we can put together the kind of dominant team that can carry him to a SB, which is super unlikely.

Yeah my take is swing for the fences (if you swing and miss, fine) or pass at a veteran.  If they want some flier veteran on the cheap along with a rookie, then OK.

I know some think Carr isn't swinging for the fences, I do think that would be shooting high enough but I seriously doubt he hits the market now. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah my take is swing for the fences (if you swing and miss, fine) or pass at a veteran.  If they want some flier veteran on the cheap along with a rookie, then OK.

I know some think Carr isn't swinging for the fences, I do think that would be shooting high enough but I seriously doubt he hits the market now. 

I think Carr is out especially if they win this week which I think they will. They will resign him.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Honestly, I don't see the Watson situation being settled until 2023.

Right now, I think there's 4 women who don't want to settle. So, that means it goes to trial at some point this year, unless they change their minds.  Even if he settles everything, the nfl will still probably suspend him for a certain amount of time.   Also, there's still a chance he could face criminal prosecution and prison time.

Pity the fool that trades for him and then watch him go to prison.

So, until all that is cleared up; no team should trade for him.

You have to know he has settled all the cases against him and you know that he won't be facing criminal charges.  You know he will be suspended, so you can plan accordingly but if those other uncertainties aren't settles; I don't know how you trade for him.

11 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Theres a difference, a big one, between a good one a great one and just a one. 

Sure but what's is your point relating to this team on that front?

18 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think Carr is out especially if they win this week which I think they will. They will resign him.

I agree.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure but what's is your point relating to this team on that front?

That they can try as much as they want but they are going to be picking from the scraps at the table or hoping to get lucky with a trash draft class. 

29 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Right now, I think there's 4 women who don't want to settle. So, that means it goes to trial at some point this year, unless they change their minds.  Even if he settles everything, the nfl will still probably suspend him for a certain amount of time.   Also, there's still a chance he could face criminal prosecution and prison time.

You have to know he has settled all the cases against him and you know that he won't be facing criminal charges.  You know he will be suspended, so you can plan accordingly but if those other uncertainties aren't settles; I don't know how you trade for him.

You cant trade for him if he still can be criminally charge. I think I heard grand jury should be back next month. This is most important part.

Let just say he beats the criminal part of the case. I have no idea if he will. I think at that point you can consider trading for him. 

If he beats the criminal prosecution I think he will be suspended 4 games max. Once the criminal part is decided I think these will all settle with in days.

Edited by Redskins 2021

46 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Have to expect behind the scenes the NFL isn’t allowing a deal to take place; would be a bad look for all involved. Dealing/deal for a player with current baggage. I think it’s a situation where the Texans will have to hold onto him until everything settles. 

3 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

A little too late on the thinking for this.  This draft class sucks for a potential star QB, and there really isn't anyone available now worth this kind of gamble.   

Maybe.   The draft is a crap shoot.  That cuts both ways.  Sometimes the draft geek types are wrong when they say pass on the 2017 class, Mahomes, Watson, yawn -- wait for cleaner prospects like Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield.  And sometimes they nail it.  I am more intrigued by this class than I was of thre 2019 class.   But who knows?

Very few were jazzed about Justin Herbert before the draft.  But according to Keim, Hurney was big into Herbert before that draft.  So who knows maybe they love Corral or Pickett or Howell and they end up right.  It wouldn't be crazy if this draft class produced a good QB or two. 

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

That they can try as much as they want but they are going to be picking from the scraps at the table or hoping to get lucky with a trash draft class. 

It could be a trash QB class, it might not be.  The "experts" thought the 2017 draft class was trash.  They were wrong.  They thought the 2019 draft class was trash.  They were right.  Will see.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Have to expect behind the scenes the NFL isn’t allowing a deal to take place; would be a bad look for all involved. Dealing/deal for a player with current baggage. I think it’s a situation where the Texans will have to hold onto him until everything settles. 

He get a 35 million dollar bonus in March. I don't think texans want to write that check.I think he moves March 17

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It could be a trash QB class, it might not be.  The "experts" thought the 2017 draft class was trash.  They were wrong.  They thought the 2019 draft class was trash.  They were right.  Will see.

Its not just here but I dont know where this revisionist history of the 2017 class is coming from. It wasnt trash. It was a high risk high reward. Everyone knew Mahomes and Watson had talent with some really eye opening flaws. The flaws for this class arent as bad but they also dont have anywhere close to the talent. 

13 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Its not just here but I dont know where this revisionist history of the 2017 class is coming from. It wasnt trash. It was a high risk high reward. Everyone knew Mahomes and Watson had talent with some really eye opening flaws. The flaws for this class arent as bad but they also dont have anywhere close to the talent. 

It wasn't revisionist history.  it was not a ballyhooed draft at the time -- its almost a cliche to make this point as opposed to me reaching for something.  The media draft talking heads admit they were wrong about that year and even cite it from time to time as recently as this year.

I love a good mock draft as much as anyone else.  But these guys get it wrong a ton.  Heck Kiper was so convinced that Jimmy Clausen would be a successful NFL QB that he would retire if he got that wrong.  Just about every major mock draft dude praised the heck out of Miami for trading for Rosen and Carolina for trading for Darnold.  We were genuises according to a bunch of the mock draft types for taking Haskins at 15.

It's a crap shoot.  And yeah the mock drafters media talking heads aren't always nailing it to say the least.  And for whatever its worth there are some mock draft types that do dissent on the point about this draft.  They agree it's lacking headliner QBs but they like the depth.  And some don't.   But since when are we drafting first in the draft to get that Trevor Lawrence like headliner anyway?

As far as high risk-high reward.  We got a guy like that in this draft, too. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2017-nfl-draft-trubisky-leads-qb-class-lacking-elite-talent-0ap3000000799332

2017 NFL Draft: Trubisky leads QB class lacking elite talent

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Who knows. Depends on the price. I wonder if it has come down at all, and a lot will likely be dictated by who is on the Watson waived trade list. In the end he's going to have to open it up so that he can ever play again, but if the list is narrow and WFT is on it, we can simply try and control the negotiations by not bowing down to crippling asking prices.

I would offer #11, 3rd rounder this year ... 2023 1st rounder, Daron Payne. That's the top-end of what I would offer.

You'd have a 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th (4 picks) remaining in the draft class, so you'd be pretty barren and could maybe bank on 2 contributors with those remaining picks. The rest would go to free agency, which would also be a bit hamstrung with needing to now bring back Settle ... extend McLaurin ... and absorb the contract of Watson.

Kind of a double-whammy that can impact the roster this off-season pretty dramatically, but if they think this team is a QB away from legit contending, then let's go. In 2 years we'll look back and probably have no regrets ... it just might feel steep today since we will have our hands tied a bit in terms of upgrading the defense and OL.

I’ve heard that Houston wants 3 first 3 seconds and two starters for him.

if they did that we would have nothing left for years

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

They can want whatever they want they will get what they get. 

And do you think Philly would

toss 2 first this year and 1 next year along with some other stuff to get him?

we can’t compete in a trade war for him and from some In the media Miami Carolina Philly and one other team were willing to trade it all for him if he gets the legal issues cleaned up.

10 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

And do you think Philly would

toss 2 first this year and 1 next year along with some other stuff to get him?

we can’t compete in a trade war for him and from some In the media Miami Carolina Philly and one other team were willing to trade it all for him if he gets the legal issues cleaned up.

I do not think phildelphia will be looking to get him and I don't think he waves no trade for phildelphia. Carolina does not have the picks with the Sam Darnold trade. I don't think Miami puts in for him.

I think are dline players and 2 first rd gets it done. Texans dline is worst in league. Payne and Sweat are at a minimum talented and the two first round picks is a good offer.

We have no idea what teams have really offered. But I think the only packages more attractive then ours would be Miami and Denver with all there picks. I think Denver wants Wilson or Rodgers. It sounds like Miami out. 

If he can't go to Miami I think he may come around to us. This guy would be the best guy for are offense. We get him we are a contender rite now. 10 to 13 win team with him.

Edited by Redskins 2021