Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

So many interesting ideas. I’m still trying to figure out if this is that off season where Snyder forces a trade for a marginal vet and pays way too much; or is it the off season where he sends everything we own to a team for a top pick of a middling starter; or is it that off season where he falls in love with a guy and insists we draft him way too high so he can have a new pal, but at least we didn’t spend all our draft picks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

And do you think Philly would

toss 2 first this year and 1 next year along with some other stuff to get him?

we can’t compete in a trade war for him and from some In the media Miami Carolina Philly and one other team were willing to trade it all for him if he gets the legal issues cleaned up.

There have ben reports that Watson specifically said he wouldn't waive his no-trade clause for Philly. But who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Well, Joe Judge just got fired. So if people thought he was the reason Watson, or whomever, wouldn't go to NY, that's out.

They must have a guy who want both jobs maybe Harbaugh. I still don't think they would trade for him.

Edited by Redskins 2021

4 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

They must have a guy who want both jobs maybe Harbaugh. I still don't think they would trade for him.

You must mean John? Why would he leave Baltimore? 

They wouldn’t need to trade for Jim unless they are trying to send Jones to the Michigan Wolverines for development.

• Haha 1

I wonder if NYG already has someone in transit for the GM position. Otherwise I guess Mara and co. just got sick of Judge and decided to go scorched earth. I think this move may put them squarely back into the QB market. Maybe Mara wanted to go QB but Gettleman and/or Judge resisted.

They have 2 high 1st round picks...that's going to be very very attractive to teams looking to shop their QBs. 

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I wonder if NYG already has someone in transit for the GM position. Otherwise I guess Mara and co. just got sick of Judge and decided to go scorched earth.

It's very possible. There was talk they were gonna go in-house, in which case it would seem they already know. Or, it could be that they reached out to potential candidates and they pretty much all asked if they had to keep Judge if they took the job, and so Mara decided to just do it preemptively to take that off the plate of whomever gets hired. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I wonder if NYG already has someone in transit for the GM position. Otherwise I guess Mara and co. just got sick of Judge and decided to go scorched earth. I think this move may put them squarely back into the QB market. Maybe Mara wanted to go QB but Gettleman and/or Judge resisted.

They have 2 high 1st round picks...that's going to be very very attractive to teams looking to shop their QBs. 

Given the timing, I wonder if Mara is after Flores. 

This offseason, Rivera’s third at the helm, Washington is armed with significant capital to acquire a passer. It has the 11th pick in the draft and $54.9 million in salary cap space, fourth most in the NFL, according to the website Over the Cap. Washington can focus those resources on a quarterback, Rivera said, because overall he feels “very good” about the roster, which has “just a few” spots that need to be upgraded.

At Tuesday’s offseason-opening news conference, Rivera said he hasn’t spoken with owner Daniel Snyder — he’s still in the evaluation process — but he sounded willing to be more aggressive than he was last year. In January 2021, the Los Angeles Rams outbid Washington for quarterback Matthew Stafford in part because Rivera balked at the Detroit Lions’ ask of multiple early-round draft picks as well as a veteran player.

...If Washington pursues a trade, it may try to capitalize on what could be a flurry of quarterback movement this offseason. Those on the move could include Seattle’s Russell Wilson, Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers, Las Vegas’s Derek Carr, Atlanta’s Matt Ryan and San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo.

One of the best (and likeliest) quarterbacks to be traded is Houston’s Deshaun Watson, the three-time Pro Bowl pick who sat out this past season after 22 women accused him of sexual misconduct and sexual assault in civil lawsuits. Watson, 26, has denied those allegations.

NFL rules prohibit Rivera from discussing players on other teams, but he said if Washington were to acquire a player with legal troubles, he would ask the league for guidance. The NFL has not put Watson on the commissioner’s exempt list.

Rivera was asked whether acquiring a player such as Watson would be risky, especially considering the franchise’s organizational overhaul following allegations of workplace misconduct.

“I don’t know because, again, you got to understand what the circumstances are,” he said. “To look at certain situations, certain circumstances, you’d like to hope that your culture inside [the team facility] is strong enough to put [its] arm around people and help them get things going in the right direction, too. So we’ll see.”

If Washington finds a quarterback, Rivera believes he’ll elevate the rest of the team. Rivera pointed to 2020, when Alex Smith helped Washington to a 5-2 record down the stretch on its way to the NFC East title. He said the front office is pursuing a passer now for the same reason the team, which had incentive to lose Sunday at the New York Giants to boost its draft position, still played its starters and tried to win.

“This area is hungry for a winner,” he said. “They want a winner, and I want to win.”

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

And we had such a good thing going with Judge and Gettleman. Damn you again Mara

Yeah I'm pretty bummed. I was hoping Gettleman and Judge would stay and they'd keep plugging away with Daniel Jones. But I have a feeling his days are probably numbered as well. Not sure what they'd be able to get for him in a trade though. A 2nd maybe?

39 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I'm pretty bummed. I was hoping Gettleman and Judge would stay and they'd keep plugging away with Daniel Jones. But I have a feeling his days are probably numbered as well. Not sure what they'd be able to get for him in a trade though. A 2nd maybe?

We had them right where we wanted them.  Maybe they try packaging him in a QB trade? I think his cap hit will be around $4 mil, some team will try the Panthers Darnold attempt with Jones. Jones > Darnold, just not sure by how much

44 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Jones has neck damage out till August I saw

If Scott Turner's offense is like Norv's (to some degree) then he wants to bruise the defense with the run game and once they decide they have to creep up to the line to cheat, that is when you pull the play action and hit them over the top.  That was a major hole in this offense with Heinicke operating because there were so many playaction passes that just went nowhere other than the same short completions he was hitting otherwise.    So I'd say right off the bat you eliminate any prospect whether through draft or FA that doesn't have the physical tools to run the offense. 

13 hours ago, Llevron said:

I think the biggest thing Ron said was in regards to the fans coming back and attracting big talent. “I’m trying to build something here but I need you guys to sell it!” 

Makes me feel like 

1) Players want the fans back 

2) Not having fans makes the team less attractive to FAs 

I’m assuming a lot, obviously. Just was interesting to hear him say it when he did in the conversation. 

He can earn it or stfu. I like Rivera but he gets nothing on faith, nothing personal. Field a team that can win back the fans. 

• Thumb up 1